Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Radiator and Cooling

john209john209 Member Posts: 1
I have a 95 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L 4x2, I have replaced my radiator, thermostat, hoses, and clamps. I have worked on the Thermostat housing 3 times and everytime I get the truck up to temp and give it a little gas to climb hills I end up with a coolant leak either from the housing (which has been checked for cracks) or from above the waterpump. I have found the water pressure becomes intense and then I end up with the leak. After letting it cool then running it again I have no leak until the engine gets back up to temp. Can someone help me with the madness???

Comments

• corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Hello John,
    The thermostat housing is stamped with the word "front". This must face the front of the engine. The thermostat is installed with the spring end directed in, toward the engine. I assume you installed a new thermostat as the old one could be stuck closed, and have the radiator cap pressure tested. Hope this helps.
  • leo518leo518 Member Posts: 1
    Hello there i change the radiator and thermostat and it broke in the same place in the top of the right side the same that happen in the old radiator now i have to buy another 1 i look at the thermostat if it wouldn't open but the thermostat is good it open and close what is happening thanks for reading my message.
  • seabisquit2seabisquit2 Member Posts: 3
    I have spent the better part of a day to find info on location of thermostat. After a few days of overheating and searching the web for answers, there was not 1 answer that pertained to my situation. I went to autozone and they told me that the thermostat is located on the lower hose (the only location that I could find). This could have been a simple and quick fix had I known. Just a tidbit of info to help anyone else in need. The location is not your typical location. "It is on the bottom hose".
    I hope this helps any further confusion.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Sorry to hear you went to so much trouble. And of course, it's not your everyday thermostat, either. Just curious where you got your's and how much did you spend?

Best regards,
    Dusty
    I got it at Advanced Auto, Autozone were out of stock. The price was 19.99, a price match from Autozone. Also 11.99 for the gallon of antifreeze (the orange kind).
    Thank you.

Dusty
  • mzda2000mzda2000 Member Posts: 6
    Already replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator. Still overheating. Any suggestions.
  • titanium29titanium29 Member Posts: 38
    The "obvious" to me would be check the water pump - maybe a bad/stuck impeller, and/or a bubble in the cooling system sometimes can cause that, especially after replacing the thermostat and coolant. I guess the worst case is so much scale in the system itself the radiator needs replacing and the system seriously acid-flushed. An '04? my bet is the bubble. It's just not that old a truck.
  • mzda2000mzda2000 Member Posts: 6
    In conversation with the dealership their suggestion was it might be the scale in the radiator. They said bring it in and they'll look at it with an infrared device. Of course, they could get more money if the radiator needs replacing. How would you get a bubble out of the cooling system? Truck has 51K on it.
    When I had it once, I did two things: "massage" the upper and possibly lower main radiator hoses to squeeze the bubble out of them if it was there, and secondly, drive it short distances being careful not to overheat the engine, then let it cool and fill directly to the radiator cap until full. It is possible, too, though rare, that you bought a new, but bad, thermostat. You could try taking the thermostat out (running just with the elbow joint wide-open) to see, but you'll probably need a second gasket. Good luck to you!
  • ahhsome2001ahhsome2001 Member Posts: 2
    We have a problem with our '99 Ram 1500. We could not get the windshield to defrost or get rid of the moisture. Then there was this "film" on the inside of the windshield. It's very difficult to get off the glass and it turns gray on the towel. About two weeks ago we were driving down the road and a fine dust like substance blew out of all the vents and it smelled like coolant. The inside of the truck always has that coolant smell now. Any idea what would cause this?
  • ahhsome2001ahhsome2001 Member Posts: 2
    Probably. It is likely a leaking heater core.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • troll73troll73 Member Posts: 3
  • troll73troll73 Member Posts: 3
    Let's say i'm facing the front of the engine, with my wrench on the fan clutch bolt itself. Do I need to turn the wrench clockwise, or counterclockwise? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • duffy65duffy65 Member Posts: 2
    My 95 5.9 liter takes forever to warm up. I have replaced the thermostat 2 times with new. Has cummins thermostat in it now. Can I valve off the 1/4 inch by pass hose to keep water in the engine till the thermostat opens without doing damage?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    My 96 Cummins also ran pretty cool in the winter, and never overheated in summer. Keep in mind, Dodge put a HUGE radiator in for the Cummins, same one they used with the V10. You may want to consider plugging in the block heater, or getting a winterfront for the grille.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • duffy65duffy65 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you KCRAM for your answer. My local Dodge dealer said exactly the same thing. I will get or make a winter grill for the truck. Thanks again.
  • dshultersdshulters Member Posts: 2
    I have a full size 1990 dodge p/u with a 318. I changed the thermostat but still have a problem.

When I am driving at highway speeds the temp is normal and the heater blows hot air.

When I stop, it immediately goes almost all the way to the H and the heater starts blowing cold air. If a go back to highway speeds it reverts back to normal.

In town it is more hit and miss...it seemes to like not stop and go driving. I can't think of what else would cause both symptoms to occur.

Help the brain dead pls
  • dshultersdshulters Member Posts: 2
    Water pump and/or plugged heater core/plugged radiator? When you fall back on the rpm's in city stop and go driving, it sounds like the hot water isn't getting pushed through your heater core and radiator. Sounds like either the water pump isn't pumping, or the water flow is impeded in the radiator or heater core...heater core would be my last bet, since it overheats...
  • bigjoecbigjoec Member Posts: 2
    Hey Leo I have the same problem have you found out whats wrong??? email me at big_pimpin3692003@yahoo.com
  • alpr1993alpr1993 Member Posts: 2
    did the 2003 ram 1500 slt 4.7 4x4 have a trans cooler as factory parts or was it an option?please advise. also where do i get the factory specs/parts for my vin#
  • alpr1993alpr1993 Member Posts: 2
    wheres a good truck chat room? everythings singles!
  • hoskhosk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 quad cab with a 4.7 L v8 engine. It is over heating but it is not the thermostat or the sensor. A mechanic checked it. I took it for a short drive and it started getting hot and was leaking a lot of water. I had not been running the ac at all. when i pulled in and checked it i was able to touch the coolant tank and it was still cold but underneath it was hot. It seems like the coolant isn't circulating. I was told by a friend it was my water pump but how can i be fully sure?? What are the signs??
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    make sure thermostat is in there the right way. the water push's from bottom to the top. alot of people put them in wrong so no water flow
  • tedtractortedtractor Member Posts: 4
    1996 dodge ram 2500 360 gas motor 4x4--245,000 miles with same motor and tranny.--- over heats when going uphill or pulling load(220 to 250 deg) but will cool down slowly going downhill back to 200 deg(190 in winter) hot days over 90 deg it heats up to 250 deg. In winter gets up to 230-235.

Changed radiator, thermostat(failsafe), water pump, timing chain, temp sending sensor, temp gauge, flushed radiator, fan clutch, catalytic converter, O2 sensors, radiator cap, no milky oil on dipstick, tranny shifts good, engine lacks some power/quickness, radiator fluid needs 1 cup replaced every 1000 miles, engine runs smooth,#5 spark plug misfires according to the obd computer? what else could it be??
    think I have found problem:
    changed thermostat
    changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor

motor runs better
    still runs hot==then after stoped hot truck(240 deg) I felt the radiator core:
    bottom cold up to the middle towards top then middle to top was very hot

radiator was only 2 years old. my friend who used the truck put that stop leak stuff in the previous one that had a small leak. so I think the new one only 2 years old collected particles from the stop leak in a narrow area in the new radiator causing the problem.
    I will flush the system to get more out and pull bottom radiator hose off when cool to quick drain engine of junk. then put new radiator in.
    changed radiator still holds 220-230 temp I give up? anybody have an idea. only thing could be is temp sending unit to new temp gauge? i guess
  • broadbent1broadbent1 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 97 dodge 3500 diesel it keeps overheating under load only i have pressure washer the radiator changed thermostat , waterpump flushed radiator and no help i need to figure this out the next thing shop said was maybe fuel anyone everheard of this seems like process of elimination at a large expence anyone had this problem and fixed it thanks kim
  • dooman75dooman75 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 96 ram 1500 and replaced the radiator,thermostat,waterpump,and had a cracked head and replaced it as well,truck runs better but still over heats.anyone have any suggestions?also how would i know if the heater core would fix the problem?
    First, it would be helpful to know the engine and transmission type, as well as the mileage. Also, what type of maintenance and repair history?

Second, what is the overheating symptom description? Does this vehicle overheat at idle, at road speed, etc.? Are you experiencing any coolant loss?

Third, the heater core will not influence an overheating problem unless there is a leak which permits a loss of coolant.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • broadbent1broadbent1 Member Posts: 2
    thanks dusty i assumed , i have a 12 valve 1997 f350 diesel with automatic, it overheats only under load i have change the waterpump and the thermostat twice and pressure washed the radiator I thought about having the radiator taken out and check to see if its plugged but haven't done that yet because it only heats up up hill and pulling one place said may be it the fuel but thats just a guess and its running fine i just can't pull a load it over heats going up hill on the flat its ok any ideas appreciated
    Overheating under load conditions indicate the inability of the cooling system to transfer heat from the system to the air, or that some powertrain dynamic is generating more heat than the system can dissipate.

I am not intimately familiar with Ford F-series, especially diesels, but my first recommendation is to check the operation of the electric fans, if this vehicle is so equiped. The electric fans usually contribute to air movement under low speed conditions only, but if under load and low speed the lack of operating electric fans can cause this.

A more likely suspect would be the radiator itself, either being clogged or the cooling fins losing bond with the cooling tubes. This is most often associated with overheating under load conditions. If you haven't performed periodic maintenance on the cooling system, this is a more likely candidate. From what I hear about F-series PU, the system should be flushed every 50,000 miles.

If an automatic transmission, its possible the transmission could be generating too much heat for the system. If this were a GM truck, I'd say there's a 5% chance that this is a candidate, but I've never seen this on a Ford automatic.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    engine 318 ; transmission=stock automatic and its the 3rd one i put in ; millage =100,00,biggest problem ive had is the overheating ,it will idle fine but as soon as i get going the temp gage goes up and antifreeze starts leaking from the water pump. i thought it was the pump so i replaced it but that hasnt fixed it...........need help!
    Have you changed the thermostat?

Regards,
    Dusty
    yes!! nobody seems to know anything.
    What year is the vehicle?

Will the coolant level drop if it just sits and idles for a long period?

I guess I'd recommend starting with a pressure test. You need to rule out a bad head gasket or cracked head, rare on a 318, but it does happen. If this is an older vehicle the radiator could be clogged or starting to unbond.

Regards,
    Dusty
    replaced thermostat in my 96 dodge ram 360 gas motor 3 times, and on third try repaced radiator. temp goes to 215-220 and stays there. was at 200 before over heating problem. thermostats vary alot.
  • hubbardchadhubbardchad Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03' dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 w/ a 360 motor. It has about 86,000 miles. I have just recently put alot of miles on it. Within the past 2 months it has been leaking coolant, and just within the past couple of weeks the transmission feels like it slips every once in while. (not often) It just started to overheat today, and by turning the heat up all the way it reduced the engine temp. back to normal. The front radiator also has been gumming up with coolant as well. Does anyone know what might be causing this, or what might need to be fixed?
    chad
  • hoveskelandhoveskeland Member Posts: 1
    hoveskeland
    I am from seattle, presently in alberta. when the van is cold it leaks coolant. no leaks warm. common?

It is well below freezing. When parked warm over virgin snow there are no leaks. when left over night, and once very cold (-20 C) it leaks pretty steady. I am having no running issues just keep toppoing off antifreeze. I am two weeks into the trip from warmer climate. Leaks most from water pump but I can't tell if it is a hose clamp and the water is traveling. The clamps are all the tension kind as opposed to tightening with a screw. I don't know how to tighten these. Is this a common problem and...I assume if it were the water pump it would leak at the same pace or more when running warm or cold and while stopped warm or cold. I think the seal is contracting or something. Ideas?
  • marklynnmarklynn Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 1500 , I wonder if the thermostat is in the same place ? My trucks water temp guage runs hot (just below 260 ) then it will go below 200, then back up.....it varies the whole time, I get heat when it is "normal" and I get NO heat when it is HIGH.......... IDEAS ???
  • marklynnmarklynn Member Posts: 2
    My new issue is with the water temp guage, the truck started this morning and the temp went straight to just below 260 , After I drove it a bit, the guage would surge back and forth between "normal" and just below 260 , I would not get heat at the 260 reading, but when it dropped I would get heat ??? I do not know where my thermostat is ???
    My old issue is I can not get one of my sparkplugs out, all the rest changed out great, one just simply refuses to let the socket slip around it, and it is the same plug ? I wonder if the metal protection cyclinder around the plug has caused a problem ?
    My brake lights and ABS light , and check engine light are all on, I lost brakes one day, and now they work fine, but the lights will not go out, I have disconnected the battery for a reset, but the lights come right back on with applied pressure to brakes ??
    My trailer brake setup no longer works either, is there a fuse or something ??? It will activate the trailer brakes when I manually slide the lever over, but will not automatically do it ?
  • brock17brock17 Member Posts: 2
    I drove my 1999 dodge ram into town which is 20 min and everything was fine. I went into the store for 20 minutes and then came back out and turned on my truck and started driving and my check gages light came and my thermostat redlined! It had low rad fluid so i filled that and my oil along with everything else was good. when driving it home i had my heat on full and the thermostat would start to go down and the check gauges would shut off but then would jump right back up again! I have no clue whats going on and would welcome any sugestions
  • brock17brock17 Member Posts: 2
    To add to it my truck wont start 5 hours later and it still says its redlining when you try to start it!
  • ryans33ryans33 Member Posts: 1
    95 ram 1500 v8 318 gas 130,000 Having a problem with the interior heat. It heats up for about 10 mins then while driving blows out cold. I also have noticed that when the heat does blow out i can not set the fan on high because the air will not be as hot compared to the medium setting. Last night i flushed the radiator for about 45 mins to an hr took about six sessions in that time. at first when i opened the drain plug nothing would come out so i had to shove a stick in the drain hole, that is when the rusty water oily junk came flowing. Now my girlfriend drove the truck to work this morning dont know if the flush helped but if it didnt what else can i do. Im thinking it cant be the heater core, not smelling antifreeze or seeing it on the floorboard plus the hose coming the firwall gets warm. Thermostat the truck is not overheating. Any ideas..
  • cuttersridercuttersrider Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 Ram 4.7 L 1500, the temp runs between the half way mark and the last mark before red, and if I turn the A/C on it runs hotter. If I turn the heat on it will bring the temp back down to the half way point. I have flushed and refilled the radiator and replaced the radiator cap.The fluid level in the resorvior has not moved since I flushed it. So in Florida this is not a good thing. 90 degrees and I have to run the heat. Can anyone guide me in a direction to fix this problem? I am thinking maybe thermostat.
  • fred92fred92 Member Posts: 2
    2004 cumming 5.9 HO I have replaced water pump do to leaking,thermastate,,fan clutch.Radiator flussed about every 75.000.It has 325000 on motor.matined.
  • jgreen76301jgreen76301 Member Posts: 2
    I had something like your problem happen to me. I have an '02 with the same engine. I ran my truck too far and blew the radiator out of it. The dealership replaced the radiator, thermostat and fan clutch. I've changed the antifreeze and thermostat since then, also. For some reason, when the outside air temp was in the below 32 degrees F. area, it wasn't heating. I finally had to "burp" the coolant system. I guess, it had a pocket of trapped air within the system? I removed the radiator cap, while it was cool, and started and ran the truck, while sitting still, for about a half hour. It seemed to solve the problem. The thermostat is located, where the large hose attaches to the lower part of the engine. I hope, this has helped? I'm not a mechanic. Good luck.