Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram Radiator and Cooling

2»

Comments

• Options
    cuttersridercuttersrider Member Posts: 2
    Thank-you. I am attacking the thermostat Tuesday morning. In the mean time I am riding my motorcycle. I just fixed it.
  • Options
    dokkiedokkie Member Posts: 8
    Hi
    I am trying to change the water pump on my truck. does anyone have any tips on how to get the hose off of the back of the pump under the air conditioning unit, it seems like it is just about melted on to the back of the water pump?? Where does this hose go to and how far back does it go? if i had to change this hose how would i go about it? I have got all other hoses, bolts and fan off this is the only thing holding me up any help would be appreciated. oh and i have a haynes book that i have read cover to cover with no help about this hose. :sick: i have read all over the net and this hose is called the by pass hose but no one seems to have any tips on how to get the darn thing off ! !
  • Options
    jmason0001jmason0001 Member Posts: 1
    truck is over-heating when going up a incline or hill, when you go back down it cools down. I have changed thermastic,fan clutch, water pump, anti freeze, flushed raditor. Help me please
  • Options
    alanstevenalansteven Member Posts: 12
    my 2002 ram 4.7 runs hot whilst doing 70mph or above...especially when towing a medium weight load (at 60mph i must add ha..legal speed in U.K.).I have replaced the thermostat to see if it was faulty.... and also the water pump that was faulty..and it still runs hot.(about mid way between med and hot)..the motor is reliable but I was wondering if this is just normal..up hill it runs hotter but not enough to have to stop..normal town driving its fine all day..its just troubling...
  • Options
    alanstevenalansteven Member Posts: 12
    hi ..i have the same problem and have replaced the same units but no solution as yet..mine is 2002..mine seems to just run hot but not over heat..lets hope someone knows..i had thought of fitting an electric extra fan in the bay ..i did think there might be a problem with the rad fan ...I presume it switches on at a given temp and wondered if I could lower the temp on it ? what do you think ?
  • Options
    scott141scott141 Member Posts: 2
    02 ram with 113000 miles 4.7 i am having a over heating problem it will idle without over heating but as soon as a drive it a few miles it over heats to a boil.I have changed the water pump,fan clutch and thermostat and have burped the system and also have flushed it out,can anyone give me any ideas on what to try next Thanks
  • Options
    mchapman2mchapman2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 and on cold starts, in park, it sounds like my radiator fan is spinning double time. Its as if its a jet engine under there, like it is going to blow up. The only way it will go away is if i slowly press the accelerator ( still in park or in drive) and get the rpm's up over 2500 for about 45 secs. This doesn't only happen on cold starts though, it also happens randomly when i will come to a stop light or I am sitting in park after driving for quite a while. This happened in a 2003 Ram that I had and I didnt realize it one day and I just took off down a busy road and my radiator fan broke off busting up my radiator and bending my pullies. I traded the truck shortly after getting it repaired . I was just thinking it was due to high mileage. I never got diagnosis on it and now my 06 is doing the same thing. Any clue what is going on?? It may not be the radiator fan, but it sure sounds like it. My truck is really quiet normally when this happens it is abnormally loud and increases in sound as i push the accelerator until it seems to even out. Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    mchapman2mchapman2 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    int97int97 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 ram 1500 4wd quad cab, with a 4.7L engine. When the temp outside us upward of 85 degrees, and I drive over 70 mph, it will get hot, to the point of the warning light coming on. It does this in less than 10 miles.

If I keep the speed under 70, or slow to around 60 if it gets hot, it will immediately come down. Also if I exit the freeway it immediately drops temp. It never gets hot in traffic or idling. Also, turning on the heater does bring the temperature down.

I even tested by getting it hot, exiting the freeway on a side highway, dropped to 2nd and drove about a mile, mile and a half at 3000 to 3500 rpms. The temperature dropped to normal during that time.

The water pump was replaced (failed) in Feb 09. The thermostat was replaced in May 09. The dealer can't find anything definitive, but thinks the radiator is clogged, should be replaced or at least flushed.

It puzzles me, as I would think if it was the radiator, it would overheat at lower speeds. I don't want to spend several hundred on a radiator and have it not be the problem.
  • Options
    int97int97 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    oilgasmanoilgasman Member Posts: 1
    Just replaced the water pump and noticed a leak from one the bolts just under the water port inlet. Pulled the pump off and I seem to have water in the bolt hole. Concerned I might have punch through to the water jacket. Same pump and same bolt??? any suggestions??? If I am right how is this repaired?
  • Options
    bigdog18bigdog18 Member Posts: 3
    have had my Dodge for some time, during the winter when i turn on the heat, get this steam looking and radiator smell coming out of the vents, also fogs the wind shield up even after truck runs for awhile, doesn`t seem to go away, checked fluid and a/c ran low on refrigerant this summer. Any info ?
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The radiator smell in the vents is usually a sign of a bad heater core. The window fogging is a result of low AC refrigerant - the evaporator runs during defrosting to remove moisture in the air... if there's no/low refrigerant, the evap won't cycle properly and the humidity collects on the windows.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • Options
    swhampton911swhampton911 Member Posts: 1
    did you ever find out what was the cause of the overheating issue. I have the exact same problem with my 05 ram same motor. I replaced my thermostat trying to fix it but then I read this post. I was told the radiator was the probable cause by my dealer as well. thanks

Sam
  • Options
    actually, i haven`t had a problem with it since i flushed the system, only prob i have now is no a/c and the 4 wheel drive wont engage or dis-engage when when i try to shift out, something screwed. sorry i couldn`t help ya
  • Options
    rogeliolrogeliol Member Posts: 1
    Thats your heater core. its broken and leaking
  • Options
    mine not broke nor leaking and don`t have over-heating problem. My problem is A/C and Transfer case.
  • Options
    saferebelsaferebel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a 5.9L Cummins turbo diesel engine (174,000 Mi.). When I run the a/c and am driving 55 mph or faster, it runs fine. If I run the a/c and get into trafic or even at a red light, it overheats. If I pull my trailer (33' 5th wheel), it overheats. I have changed the fan clutch, thermostat, water pump, serpantine belt and have had the radiator flushed twice. It still overheats. Any ideas?
  • Options
    djkansasdjkansas Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    My truck is overheating badly... I have replaced the following... Thermostat, water pump twice.... Also have had whole cooling system flushed by a pro mechanic shop... There are no leaks... and nothing is plugged up... Only thing left to do is replace radiator...

Its looking like the fan may be on backwards, for I did buy the truck used... thinking maybe someone did some repairs and installed fan backwards, but not sure...

Any idea's on what could be the problem is appreciated...
  • Options
    southbound2southbound2 Member Posts: 1
    my 02 ram had the same problem pretty much did what you did ended up being a plugged radiator found this out after i brought it to a radiator shop could also be a cracked head gasket or air in the system good luck
  • Options
    tallpaintingtallpainting Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 pick-up 3.7 engine. I am at the point of nausea to this point I have replaced the top radiator hose (The beginning of the over heating) thought it was just a worn hose so I replaced the hose, and thermostat since I was replacing thermostat I thought go ahead flush the system and replenish with fresh coolant. Did all this work in my garage on a Sunday drove to the neighborhood store and back to garage total of about 3 miles. Monday morning on my way in to work i noticed my temp was running high about 3/4 to hot "Oh no!" :cry: Just as I arrived at work it over heated. Since this time I've replaced (in order) water pump, 2ND thermostat, clutch fan, condenser fan-relay and after each replacement continued to over heat thus the reason for each replacement .. :confuse: At this point I am out of clues what could possibly be wrong now I am assuming the radiator is the only thing remaining in the cooling system what else could it be. I don't have any symptoms of a cracked head gasket although I have not had it confirmed or denied just no obvious signs that would lead me to believe otherwise. I am really concerned I have 138xxx miles on this typically well maintained truck i. e. routine oil changes, tire rotation etc,ect, ect. If anyone has any feedback or experience with this problem plus help , and second what if at all possible detection is there for determining a bad radiator before I replace it. I am of the understanding that this particular radiator is both aluminum and plastic is there a way to repair it or is replacement the best option
  • Options
    scott141scott141 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 03 dodge ram with about 120xxx miles on it had same problem mine was the radiator brought mine to a radiator shop he tested it and also showed me that the bottom half of the radiator was pluged once the truck is hot feel the radiator in different spots if it feels cool replace it or take it to a shop and have it tested good luck
  • Options
    kevster63kevster63 Member Posts: 1
    Replace your fan clutch! It sounds like you have an intermittent issue with it locking up. It should slip when cool and start becoming louder as the radiator temp heats up (moving more air). I recommend allowing a minute or 2 at least when you first start the truck in the morning before blasting off. They aren't designed to go from zero to 5000 RPM cold iron in an instant. My Durango Hemi will "zoom" for a minute or so when first fired up, but calms down and works flawlessly the rest of the time. My 4.& L Ram only "zooms" when hot under a load.
  • Options
    travelertattootravelertattoo Member Posts: 1
    have a 05 dodge 1500 v6 4.7L that overheated out of the blue the other day pulled over added 1 gallon of water got it home hasnt overheated since but have to constantly add coolant after short or long drive...never any puddles on the ground no splashing on underside of engine or frame rails...any help be appretiated thx
  • Options
    hamp1hamp1 Member Posts: 1
    i have 2002 dodge ram 1500 5.9L V8. I have replaced the waterpump and thought it had leaked again. As i was about to change it. I noticed it wasnt leaking. The leak is coming from behind the waterpump. If your looking straight at the waterpump its on the top left. Its leaking bad and is getting worse. I'm put a gallon of water in it everytime i start it. Can somebody anybody PLEASE HELP ME. Its the only vehicle i have.
  • Options
    janap1janap1 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2011
    My boyfriends 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 V6, with 74,000 miles radiator coolant leaked into the engine oil and siezed up the motor. This is after a 68,000 mile fuel injection service at the dealership. The dealership wanted $8,500 to replace the motor. He was on the spot so had to buy another truck, a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 V6. The tire sensor light keeps coming on from the spare tire even after refilling.
    My Dodge Durango Hemi 2005, had been in the shop at the same time with a problem lunging and sputtering. After 6 trips to the dealer and over $1,600, I still had the same problem. Took it to a transmission place, had the transmission oil changed and no longer have the problem.
    I would suggest to everyone to not take their cars to the Dodge dealerships, apparently they have no clue how to work on their own vehicles. Or maybe it is so you will have to buy a new one every 60,000-80,000 miles.
  • Options
    michaeljoshmichaeljosh Member Posts: 1
    I've replaced my water pump a few months ago (in the shop) and last week i replaced my radiator by myself. the reason i replaced my radiator was because of a huge crack along the plastic-to-metal end of the radiator. It was spewing coolant all over the place. A few days after replacing this, the heater doesn't work at all and whenever I am coming up on a red light or any stop and put my truck in neutral to coast, the truck dies. Also, whenever I got home tonight, the truck began spewing again. I pop the hood to get a look and there is a huge crack in the same exact spot as the replaced radiator. It seems that the problem that caused the radiator to break last time caused it to this time. Any information at all about this problem would be fantastic. Thank you. If you would like a video of the "leak" in the radiator, e-mail me at hookscrue2009@aol.com and I'll send you it.
  • Options
    bluerose3bluerose3 Member Posts: 1
    my ram 1500 with 212k miles started losing water. replaced pump, thermostat and fluid. oil begining to foam in fill cap. is this an inherent problem with this motor? my 86 ram 360 with 384k has no problems. could this be heads? putting in around half gallon of antifreeze every three hundred miles. help
  • Options
    jhogue3105jhogue3105 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys is my radiator supposed to be hot on both sides? B/C one side is hot after running and other is cold. Didn't know if that meant the radiator needs to be replaced. Also the truck makes a bucking motion when driving after heated up and when I stop and pop hood open my overflow reservoir is bubbling like its boiling!! Ive replaced water pump, thermostat, and even took it to local radiator shop and had it flushed.... Temp gague is between 1/2 and 3/4 so its not over heating?? Does anyone have any idea on what it might be??? Thanks
  • Options
    jdudekjdudek Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue and have had 3 different diagnosis. Noticed a leak in the dagasser ( reservoir on top of radiator that holds overflow ) and attempting that first. $ 60 dealer part.
    Would love feedback as this is getting extremely frustrating to troubleshoot.
  • Options
    vmvgodisgoodvmvgodisgood Member Posts: 1
    Hi John,
    I have a 95 Dodge Ram 5.9 L just like you but mine is a 4x4. I have the same type of leak but so far no issues with power. I found it when pressure testing the coolant system. I see a small stream of water making its way out the thermostat housing platform/engine block. Put in new thermostat and housing, gasket, sealant on both sides of the gasket, 17 lbs/sq.in. on bolts. Still leaks under pressure. How did you resolve your leak? it has been a while (2007) since your post but it is the only diagnostic question I could find just like mine. I was thinking of trying K-seal? Any help would be great. Thanks, Vin
  • Options
    floridatruckfloridatruck Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced the radiatior cap, thermostat, water pump and hoses and the truck still overheats when the cap is tighted on the radiator. if the cap is off it will not overheat.

why?
  • Options
    bigjoecbigjoec Member Posts: 2
    Did you drain all your cooling out of your system?? When you filled it back up did you bleed the air out of your system?? There is a bleeder plug on the upper rad hose at the engine.
  • Options
    sdlee28sdlee28 Member Posts: 1
    Head gasket was leaking and we had to replace both heads... Once all was done, turns out the truck is still overheating. What else could cause this problem??? We know for a fact that the gasket was leaking, and heads were warped beyond repair and cracked. So I'm lost! Help us figure out the problem!! Been without a vehicle for 2wks going on 3. :-(