Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Transmission Problems

Comments

• law2lettlaw2lett Member Posts: 4
    WILL NOT GO FORWARD WAS DRIVING FINE.GOT UP TO GO WORK WON'T GO, COULDN'T GO TO WORK BACKWARDS,IS THERE A RECALL ON FORD TRANS?
  • law2lettlaw2lett Member Posts: 4
    Ford had tranny problems since I can remember. I had a 62 ford fourty years ago, and its the same problem wont go forward now I have 05 its the same problem dont you think its about time for perfection? I called Ford and complained they took my information and vin# and said theres not enough complaints for a recall everyone should call you will be reimbursed if you usede Ford to do the work on your vehichle heres the # call and complain 1800/232/5952
  • hatin05hatin05 Member Posts: 2
    my 05 was doing the same thing. when i dropped the trans pan there was metal flakes on the mag. in the process of dropping the trans with the help of a friend, we saw the flywheel move. it would move about 1/4" in and out of the motor. we were told by others that it means the thrust bearing is "gone" in the motor. we are currently working on pulling the motor. sounds like this is very common. i know this is not what you want to hear but hope this helps.
  • hatin05hatin05 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    be sure to check your motor or have it checked if you have to pull the transmission. while pulling mine, we found the flywheel would move in and out of the block about a quarter inch. the thrust bearing was shot but the motor was running good when we found this. just recently oil was showing up on the motor. the rear main and front seals were shot because of the play in the crank shaft. awesome motor to quietly run with major failure! very dissapointed in Ford to have these problems with only 85,000 miles!
  • kimaanjakimaanja Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2005 Expedition, Eddie Bauer, with 85K miles.

Driving yesterday and it slipped out of gear. Was shifting smoothly up to then. Was able to continue driving by manually shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, but when upshifting to D, after about 5-10 seconds it slips out like its in neutral. Transmission fluid didn't look good, pretty dark (not red).

Thoughts? New Tranny? Other Options?
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Sounds like its time for a rebuild. Don't buy a new one or install a used one just have a reputable transmission shop rebuild the one you have. They will install upgraded parts if they are available and warranty the parts and labor. I had the trans in my 2004 rebuilt about 20,000 miles ago and have had no problems since. Similar problem, stopped at a light and it would not go when the light turned green. Turned out to be a bearing failure at 114,000 miles.
  • justfixitdjustfixitd Member Posts: 1
    I have a miss at low RPMs in OD, If i give it gas it stops. Could it be a problem someone has had and found how to fix it. are what the problem would be? Transmission,sparkplug,wires or fuel preasure ? HELP car has 120,000 miles
  • lhwilllhwill Member Posts: 5
    Did you ever get your miss problem figured out? My 03 is doing the same thing. Seems like a skip or grabbing?
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Are you talking about a Mark VIII also? If so this forum won't be much help. if you are talking about an 03 Expedition I'd suggest it is probably the COPs. How many miles do you have on it and have they ever been changed?
  • bradw2bradw2 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Expedition, 5.4L, has a similar problem. Occasionally under a load, like going up hill it will start jerking/hesitating/stuttering. Seems to fit the description of the Coil on Plugs (COP) going bad. But the check engine light has never come on and there have been no error codes in the computer. A mechanic suggested that it may not be the COPs but might be the transmission. He suggested taking it out of overdrive when it starts jerking. When I do that it of course downshifts, the revs go up and the jerking stops. Cycling the overdrive on/off button a few times generally seems to stop the jerking for the whole trip. Seems like this means the problem is with the transmission? Or is it really the COPs?
  • onebigladybugonebigladybug Member Posts: 1
    vehicle was in park on level driveway, turned off, keys out. I got out walked around to the other side opened the door to help my daughter get out and the vehicle made a clicking noise and rolled back 3 feet almost wipping us out. what would cause this? also before I got home I was stopped at 2 different traffic lights and the tach needle was jumping?? help please... thanks
    I would still say coils, that is the classic description. I have driven a thousand miles without a CEL light, but when scanned there were multiple misfire codes pending, they just hadn't tripped the light yet.
  • 05expeowner05expeowner Member Posts: 1
    I just had my transmission rebuilt, after it started slipping out of gear at 105k miles. It is now doing the same thing in OD that yours is doing under load up a hill. I've taken it back to the transmission place three times and they have taken it out, looked for problems and replaced with new fluid, but I still have the same issue. Not a coil issue on my car - had that checked - it's the transmission. Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks
  • erikj28erikj28 Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to me yesterday in an 04 Eddie Bauer. Had to drive home in first gear on 4 wheel drive at ten mph. Rebuild cost is 2400$
  • uriknurikn Member Posts: 6
    i have a 2008 expedition eddie bauer. Since it had 20,000 miles the transmission makes a rough downshift when slowing down to a stop. i have been complaining to Ford and requesting they cure this problem every time the car went in for service. Ford keeps telling me all is ok, yet the transmission keeps on doing it. They say drive additional 1,000 miles for the transmission to readjust. I keep complaining before my warrantee expires I am now close to 47,000 miles. I see many owners have this problem, why does Ford not fins a solution? Anyone have an answer different the the ones given?
  • whitedjwhitedj Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,
    I have a 2003 Expedition and it has developed a strange vibration/grinding noise coming from the rear of the drivetrain. It seems to only do it upon initial exceleration. I am not sure if its coming from the transmission, rearend or transfer. Can someone give me some advice on what this could be or what I should inspect to further identify the problem.
    Thank you
    David
    Have you kept up with the service intervals ont he trans and rear differential? Do you have the limited slip rear diff?
  • bohunk1bohunk1 Member Posts: 4
    Just took my 08 expedition in to the dealer today with the same issue. 24k miles. They told me they had to reprogram the transmission and the problem is fixed. I pick it up tomorrow so I will let you know if they are right. I've read other posts stating they've had this done and the problem just came back though.
    I hope you are lucky and it works, Ford did this to my expedition unsuccesfully at least four times. I finally got them to take a test drive with me, this rough downship happens when the transmission is a bit hot. If they test it for 2 minutes it seems ok but later reappears. The car has been in their shop for a full week, they tested and it failed, so now they are ordering parts (i do not know what parts yet). Hope they fix it this time for me. If you repair fails let me know and by then i will know what needs to be done if resetting the unit is not enough.
    So far it's working fine since they did the reprogramming. Let me know what they end up doing with yours in case my problem comes back. I'm sure it will. Thanks
    they opened the transmission, said they did not find anything. later they said they found two seals which did look defective. the car was in the shop for 3 weeks. i got it back drove 1000 miles and it is still a very harsh downshift. I'm starting to think that ford simply has a bad transmission and they do not want to admit it.
  • kc1213kc1213 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Expedition with 85k miles. When I accelerate up through 2nd and 3rd gear there is a vibration as if I am running over warning rumble strips. It only does this when I maintain a constant speed at about 25 to 40 mph. If I hard accelerate through the gears and get up in speed the vibration doesn't happen at all. After I get to 40 mph and higher there is no vibration. Does anybody have any ideas?
  • jglrrdbjglrrdb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Expy, 89k miles, I notice the Transmission slipping a couple of days ago, yesterday made an appointment to go to the Dealer for a Diagnostic of the symptoms. Did not make it, had to get Towed the rest of the way. Transmission failed in the FWD it would not shift at all, i had Reverse. I did notice low transmission oil before I left, no oil on the ground, suspected if there is a Vacuum line that the oil was going that route to the engine. Mechanic at the Dealer thinks the Overdrive Unit in the Transmission, went bad and contaminated the system. The dip stick look clean so I don't know. Dealer recommendation is to replace transmission. So there will be some kind of Warranty on the Tranny, I rather go to the Dealer, then go to a shade tree Mech, and get a rebuilt or a Junk yard replacement, and be doing that again, not long after. After reading some the Posts, there should not be problems with a transmission with low mileage. 89k is nothing, If some folks are having problems at 10K, thats is not good. Ford better wake up. They are going back to there old motto, Fix it or repair Daily, I been driving Ford products for many years, and I have trusted Ford better then most MFG. I think Ford should look into the cause of those failures, I did not use me car to go boonie stomping with it. On dirt roads I it take slow, basically I baby that care because I want to last for some time. When you spend over 42k for a car, the money does not grown on trees.
    update,
    as i mentioned the car was in the fors shop for three weeks, the did finally find two seals in the transmission that did not look good which they replaced. Transmission was reset again, I drove 1,000+ miles to let it adjust but have noticed no change. transmission bangs when stoping like before. Ford tells me they will get a transmission expert to see the car. The agency Manhattan Auto and its staff have been great and helpfull however the problem has not been solved. I feel the bang from the rear of the car and suspect the differentials slip seal, u-joint or maybe other rear end problem. Also thought it could be the car's computer hardware since the software has been updated more than once to no avail.
    How is your doing? Can you tell me exactly what they did?
    Thanks
    So far after the reset and about 1500 miles I can still feel the bump but it is very minimal. I hope it stays that way but I doubt it. I will be interested to hear what the trans expert will have to say about yours. By now I'm surprised they haven't swapped out your trans considering how much time and money this is costing everyone.
  • cwdriftercwdrifter Member Posts: 1
    did you get an answer...my 2008 just started to do this slightly also.
    I had that problem with a different expedition I had years ago and was something to do with the drive shaft. Sorry cant recall the exact issue but it was an easy fix by the dealer.
    my expedition is in the shop again. still bangs when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. test drive with transmission mechanic who had inspected the transmission and is confident the transmission is ok seems to suspect either the differentials or the transfer case. lets hope they find the problem and finally solve the issue since it is becoming redicolouse
  • stein77stein77 Member Posts: 2
    It's a bad universal joint on driveshaft at transmission, rear end, or both.
    About a $10-30 dollar part depending on brand and quality.
    Manhattan Ford , where I service my Ford expedition and where I purchased it in 2008, finally was able to convince Ford to replace my car's transmission. The car finally does not bang when downshifting from second to first gear when coming to a stop. Seems all other repairs, software updateds etc. never worked. I am grateful to the staff of Manhattan Ford for being presistant for all this time (the car had been looked at more than 5 times over a year) and finally resolving the issue.
  • chris4167chris4167 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I am pushing for National Recall and Refunds I was advised to have everyone contact

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • jonbob0jonbob0 Member Posts: 3
    At 128 K miles the transmission is jerking at around 50mph. While I was test driving it I rounded a left curve at 50 mph and the transmission lost tourque as if the transmission was placed in nuetral. The engine reved to 4K rpm's and I released the accelerator pedal. The car passed through the curve and the transmission again attached to the engine.

The skipping symtoms at 50 mph are similar to the same jerking caused by bad coils or sparkplugs but those have been recently replaced and the problem persists. I'd appreciate any Ideas as to cause and repair.

Thanks

Jonbob0
    BTW the onboard computer reported no problems when checked by a technician.
    Has the tranny been serviced regularly?
    Yes! We service it at the recommended intervals. The present fluid is at the correct level and looks and smells brand new.
  • stein77stein77 Member Posts: 2
    Check your TV cable (throttle valve) they get gummed up over time.
    Right were the TV connects to tranny, you will have a steel rod at end of cable, also attached to a return spring. If that rod is dirty it won't slide in and out of the sleeve like it should, that can cause high rpm shifts, and down shifts because the cable is not kicking back down when it should. So it will delay at the throttle body at engine causing high rpm. That wouldn't throw a code that I know of. Take a rag and spray cleaner wipe that rod down. Its free, its worth a try, it may be that simple. Good luck
    I was going to suggest a change along with shift additive, but if it has been done at 30k intervals it is likely to not help too much.
  • roc5roc5 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1998 ford Expo XLT when ever i drive with the overdrive light off ( which means its in over drive) it slips around 40 or 50 miles and when i turn overdrive light on which means the overdrive is off it rides perfect any suggestions on what would cause that .I no that the engine is rebuilt.
  • sharonusharonu Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I just bought a 2010 Expedition XLT at a government auction. We really like the vehicle but I am concerned because at times, particularly when climbing hills, it seems to shift really rough. My husband thinks this shuttering upon shifting is normal for this vehicle, but I'm not so sure. Is it a normal or a problem? If it is a problem, what is the most likely cause. Thank you!
    Shuddering on shifting isn't normal. You should have it checked out, and if you think it is really the trans have it flushed, and the filter changed. Coils going bad will also feel like a trans problem as they misfire. A dealer can pull pending codes on that.
  • cds4cds4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Ford Expedition 2WD with 133k miles. The transmission seems to be slipping or lurching at high speed. It is not the kind of slip that seems dangerous, but it causes the truck to seemingly delay or lurch. It is an annoyance at minimum and I am concerned there is a major problem. Please advise at to what it might be. Could it be the same TV cable issue as the 2003 Expedition? Thanks.
  • pfd7x30pfd7x30 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    My 1999 Expedition just started this. It has about 147,000 miles on it. I checked the build and it is full and clean. Can you please help me by letting me know what you found out to be the problem causing your issue and what you did to fix it. Thanks
    My 1999 Expedition just started jerking/bucking as I give it gas. Most noticeable when starting up a hill giving gas and when the cruise is set to maintain current speed. Seems to be a retrain issue due to the RPM's don't change and I don't feel the transmission slipping. Anyone with answers please help.
  • blazingreensblazingreens Member Posts: 2
    Re: Stinking Trannies [macman246] by ayakata
    I AM NOT SURE IF YOU STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM BUT...
    If you are i can asure you that $16.00 will fix it, just go to your local auto motive store and ask for a MANUAL KIT for AIR SUSSPENSION it is very easy to install i did mine in under 1/2 an hour, or you can unplug the compressor located under the windshield washer fluid and hook up a wire to both RED/Black then hook em up to ur battery it will manual overide any switches that may be broken. if it still does not work then like i said go get the manual kit is cheapest. Another thing you can do is jack your truck up of its wheels and let them hang for a day, this will refill them. All this i have learned from my own Ezpedition 4wd 5.4 - 1999 V8 GOOD LUCK ----------
  • blazingreensblazingreens Member Posts: 2
    Check your fuel filter, often can get clogged AKA not enough gas when you go at higher RPM's.
    Check the battery connection/ i have had my car stall because of this dont ask me how bec idk either.
    Check your fuel, when u go up hills could be that...
    If it still continues or gets worse it could be your fuel pump is going out or...fuel pressure regulator.
    These are the cheapest things to check and fix, if it continues id ask your local mechanic would be prob 100-200$ to scan truck for problems?
    What happens when you click off the overdrive while this is happening? My guess would be a coil going bad.
    It will continue doing but not as often or as hard as it does with overdrive on. When it first started doing this and I turned the overdrive off it only jerked when the hill was very steap or you gave it gas very hard and quick. How can I verify its a coil? And its location?
    If I'm not mistaken there are two coil packs on a 99, each serving 4 cylinders. Newer ones have 8 coils, one on each plug. To verify it is a coil pack you can get it scanned for pending codes - the misfires will show up there. While not enough to trigger the CEL, they will be in the on board data.
  • sharonusharonu Member Posts: 2
    I first had the transmission fluid and filter changed, which did nothing for the shifting problem. It was finally diagnosed as a computer programming issue (there is a Service Bulletin out about it) and the final fix cost $96 for the local Ford dealer's service center to reprogram it. No more shifting problem! Thanks for the input!
  • sschnellesschnelle Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 expedition wont go in drive but will go in reverse and 1st and 2nd gear. What can be the problem