Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Transmission Problems

12345679»

Comments

• cds4cds4 Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Ford Expedition 2WD with 133k miles. The transmission seems to be slipping or lurching at high speed. It is not the kind of slip that seems dangerous, but it causes the truck to seemingly delay or lurch. It is an annoyance at minimum and I am concerned there is a major problem. Please advise at to what it might be. Could it be the same TV cable issue as the 2003 Expedition? Thanks.
  • pfd7x30pfd7x30 Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    My 1999 Expedition just started this. It has about 147,000 miles on it. I checked the build and it is full and clean. Can you please help me by letting me know what you found out to be the problem causing your issue and what you did to fix it. Thanks
    My 1999 Expedition just started jerking/bucking as I give it gas. Most noticeable when starting up a hill giving gas and when the cruise is set to maintain current speed. Seems to be a retrain issue due to the RPM's don't change and I don't feel the transmission slipping. Anyone with answers please help.
  • Re: Stinking Trannies [macman246] by ayakata
    I AM NOT SURE IF YOU STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM BUT...
    If you are i can asure you that $16.00 will fix it, just go to your local auto motive store and ask for a MANUAL KIT for AIR SUSSPENSION it is very easy to install i did mine in under 1/2 an hour, or you can unplug the compressor located under the windshield washer fluid and hook up a wire to both RED/Black then hook em up to ur battery it will manual overide any switches that may be broken. if it still does not work then like i said go get the manual kit is cheapest. Another thing you can do is jack your truck up of its wheels and let them hang for a day, this will refill them. All this i have learned from my own Ezpedition 4wd 5.4 - 1999 V8 GOOD LUCK ----------
  • Check your fuel filter, often can get clogged AKA not enough gas when you go at higher RPM's.
    Check the battery connection/ i have had my car stall because of this dont ask me how bec idk either.
    Check your fuel, when u go up hills could be that...
    If it still continues or gets worse it could be your fuel pump is going out or...fuel pressure regulator.
    These are the cheapest things to check and fix, if it continues id ask your local mechanic would be prob 100-200$ to scan truck for problems?
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 298
    What happens when you click off the overdrive while this is happening? My guess would be a coil going bad.
    It will continue doing but not as often or as hard as it does with overdrive on. When it first started doing this and I turned the overdrive off it only jerked when the hill was very steap or you gave it gas very hard and quick. How can I verify its a coil? And its location?
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 298
    If I'm not mistaken there are two coil packs on a 99, each serving 4 cylinders. Newer ones have 8 coils, one on each plug. To verify it is a coil pack you can get it scanned for pending codes - the misfires will show up there. While not enough to trigger the CEL, they will be in the on board data.
  • sharonusharonu Posts: 2
    I first had the transmission fluid and filter changed, which did nothing for the shifting problem. It was finally diagnosed as a computer programming issue (there is a Service Bulletin out about it) and the final fix cost $96 for the local Ford dealer's service center to reprogram it. No more shifting problem! Thanks for the input!
  • My 2002 expedition wont go in drive but will go in reverse and 1st and 2nd gear. What can be the problem
  • I have a 2004 chevy Silverado 4.8, the problem is the picture of the engine is showing in the left side of the dash, but the service engine soon light isn’t coming on. I have checked for codes but no codes are coming up, I checked the owner’s manual and it says that it’s a misfire. The engine light was flashing when coming home and shut off motor in the drive way. Left it sit for 3 weeks, started it up no lights came on the dash whatsoever. I have changed the crank sensor, electronic throttle component on the front on top. Afterwards it kept doing the same thing.. I pulled it out of the garage and started it up to warm up for 5 mins it stop running. I started it back up and again 5 mins later stop running. I tried a third time and it wouldn’t run at all. Left it to sit overnight tried it the morning and it fired right up and kept running. Need help, stump. Im really afraid to drive anywhere, because I don't want to be stranded in zero degree weather.
  • jccissejccisse Posts: 1

I am the original owner of a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer with 140,000 miles. Two days ago, I noticed that the transmission attempted to shift to 3rd gear... but would not engage (it dropped into Neutral). When I added gas, the RPM revved up to 4500 RPM when the transmission finally dropped back into 2nd Gear. It drives and shifts smoothly in reverse, 1st, and 2nd gears with no abnormalities noted. With O/D OFF selected or "2" selected on the shift selector, the car drives in 1st and 2nd gears only... up to 60 MPH at 4500 RPM. I replaced the Transmission Fluid and Filter... all looked clean with only minor micro-dust size particles in the fluid and a nice vibrant red color. Does anyone know what else can I do before sending it to a Transmission Shop for a costly rebuild or replacement???

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,872

You're pretty much at the point where you'd need diagnostics to go any further--that is, pressure testing and using a scan tool to activate and test solenoids, etc. At 140K, internal wear is certainly possible and slippage is never a good sign.

• bigdon911bigdon911 Posts: 2

@kc1213 said: I have a 2007 Expedition with 85k miles. When I accelerate up through 2nd and 3rd gear there is a vibration as if I am running over warning rumble strips. It only does this when I maintain a constant speed at about 25 to 40 mph. If I hard accelerate through the gears and get up in speed the vibration doesn't happen at all. After I get to 40 mph and higher there is no vibration. Does anybody have any ideas?

• bigdon911bigdon911 Posts: 2

having same problem just took to ford and it is the trans. Your tork converter is bad 2100 used trans or 3600 new.. im getting used done as we speak 1 yr warranty. pissseddd.....