Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Trailer and Towing Questions

12346»

Comments

• mojo28mojo28 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 silverado classic with the 4.3. Bought it with 9,000 miles on it. Instant problems. Vibration from drive train when cruising at speed at lower rpm. Numerous electrical problems that seem to be pretty common after looking on line. One cig. lighter stopped working followed by all driver side speakers. Check engine light came on but can not get code. Told its a common problem and ECU goes bad. Next lost blower for heat and air condition Took the relay out and completely corroded and rusted with melted plastic around connections. Need heat and defrost in Wisconsin. Don't even know where to start other than driving truck into Chevy main office somewhere. Any advice would be nice. Will never buy a Chevy again. This is the problem with American companies now and it is sad. We make crap, we sell crap, and we don't do crap to better our half [non-permissible content removed] products
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    mojo28,
    Have you taken your vehicle to a dealer? If not I would definitely recommend doing so. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jbrundigejbrundige Member Posts: 3
    I have bought a 2003 gmc sierra 1500 hd with 6.0 vortec engine, 10 ply tires (8lugs) and 5 leaf springs in the rear.
    I found a horse trailer that I would like to buy.
    It's a Sundowner 3H slant with 6'short wall living quarters. It says 13,000lbs gvw.
    Will my truck pull that trailer empty or loaded down?? I only have 2 mules. But will only be traveling with one out west, but would have extra water and hay.
    I need to know if I need to buy a bigger truck??????
    Thanks for reading this post.
    Jill
  • 2011sierraslt2011sierraslt Member Posts: 2
    I discovered my GMC SLT extended cab 6.6ft bed came with drum brakes on the back - if I would have know I wouldn't have bought it.
    Next thing you know they will be putting drums on a ZO6 Vetts.
    Shame on you GMC!
  • jbrundigejbrundige Member Posts: 3
  • stardei3stardei3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 silverado1500 with 5.3 4l80e will she tow it not going verry far with it .The t t said 7600 its a 1995 prowler 27 n.
  • stardei3stardei3 Member Posts: 2
    Push the button no light . Nothing happens . can i repair this my self
  • jalvinjalvin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004, 2500 classic with vortec 6000 v8, hd-4 spd auto,3.73 axle, w/factory tow pkg,
    I am looking at 29ft to 30 ft trailers around 6500lbs dry-weight. will I be able to tow without problems? what if any upgrades will help short of trading in for diesel?I will be using mostly for weekend trips and longer vacation trips a couple times per year.
  • grunt4lifegrunt4life Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I have a GMC 2007 Sierra SLE Max 6.0 Crew cab short bed. I am still trying to get answers as to how much camper I can tow safely.

Thanks for any help.
  • gtstrickygtstricky Member Posts: 1
    I have been searching for how to hook up the power to the trailer connector and the brake controller on my new truck. I found the service bulletin that explains the two wires that need to be connected. They are bound and taped under the hood near the fuse compartment and simply get attached to two studs in the front of the fuse box under the hood.

Look on pages A82 and A83 here for instructions: http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2011_BB/REV_2011_FS_PU_LD_Electric_1210.pdf

You will need a M8 nut and a M6 fastener.

Sorry if this was discussed already but my search did not find it.
    If you can provide me with your VIN I can look into that information for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina, I would appreciate that so much. I found out my camper bumper tow is about 9200lb wet. Here is my VIN. 2GTFK13Y971609095

Thank you so much for any help.

Kevin
    Kevin,
    It looks like the maximum towing capacity is about 10,500lbs. There should be a sticker, I believe it is in the glove box with the max trailering weight. I hope this helps.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina, I appreciate your time and info. I guess to be more specific in what I am needing is the true values on my truck. Curb weight, cargo capacity, etc. I am not sure if these specs are available or not. I have all the gross weights just not actuals. I am wanting to know what I can pull legally and safely.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Kevin
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Best thing to do is to go to a truck stop and get weighed with a full tank of fuel. That's the only way to know what your truck weighs and how much capacity is left from the gross ratings.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • dave925dave925 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i have a 2006 gmc sierra 4x4,last year i hooked up the wiresfor a four pin trailer harness to the factory harness that was on the truck, they worked great, this year when i plugged the trailer back in i had power to everything but the right turn/brake light, thinking it might be the four pin harness i wired direct to the wire on the truck, {a dark green wire}, and found that there is no power going through it, any ideas as to why it worked last year and not this year, thanks
    dave925,
    I would recommend having the vehicle looked at by your authorized GM dealer. They should be able to assist you in finding out what is causing your concerns. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • camper10camper10 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 chevy 2500 with factory installed trailer brake controller. It works fine with one of my trailers but with another it does not sense that a trailer is connected and so doesn't work. How does the truck sense that a trailer is connected? Thanks!
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    The brake controller may not be compatible depending on how the trailer brakes are wired . You can rewire the brakes on the trailer to make them work. Do a google search for more info. Obviously, you have trailers with two different wiring patterns.
  • camper10camper10 Member Posts: 2
    You're right, I did have to rewire the trailer but not due to different wiring patterns. There were corroded connections at the axle and once I found those it works great. Thanks for the post.
  • brooks44brooks44 Member Posts: 1
    Getting my 2001 Silverado 1500 ready for hunting season. I'm having a problem with my tow wiring. Using a tester, I realized that when my daytime running lights are on, my turn signals work fine, but as soon as I flip over to regular headlights, I don't have any turn signals. Anybody have a suggestions regarding my issue? Never towed anything with this truck before (I bought it last year). Thanks for any and all help:)
  • bcouv1bcouv1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar issue. I have a 2006 Silverado 1500. When my trailer is connected and my headlights are on, my cruise control does not work, and my right signal will not work. Everything works fine when just the headlight switch is set for automatic.
    Bcouv1,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle to your dealership? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • barrailbarrail Member Posts: 27
    My question is for gmcustsvc, I have an 05' sierra hd with the trailer package. my dealership installed brake controller stopped working so i replaced it with a new one. i have no trailer brakes at the back of the truck trailer connector. My question is , do the trailer leads work as a negative or a positive lead in otherwords should my test light have one end on the negative as i have been doing, or should i be testing off the positive (hot)side, also, are there any other fuses beside the ones behind the driverside tailight. thanks for any help you can give me.
    barrail,
    Can you send me your contact info and VIN as well as your question in an email? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Christina, my vin# is 1GTHK29285E104548 and I am not sure how to give you my contact info since edmunds discourages posting my E-mail in a message. Heres what I 've discovered so far. brake lights work on the truck, but not on the trailer connection. At the trailer connection I have everything except brake lights. all fuses look good, brake lights on truck even work with brake controller. found two 7.5 amp fuses behind drivers rear tail light,b dirty but intact. The connection under the dash for the brake controller tests fine. Could there be another fuse some where? thanks
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    click on "gmcustsvc" in the header of that post and the profile will come up with the email address to reach them.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    Having attempted to access the e-mail address, something in my computer would not allow me to.
  • doonsterdoonster Member Posts: 3
    Here's my issue - I trailer 3 horses with my 2008 Silverado 3500 dually - 6.6L Turbo diesel - I have a fully aluminum Hart LQ gooseneck trailer. Here's the 'problem' - when braking (typically coming to a stop sign or light) I often experience a back and forth lurching of the vehicle and trailer. It is not a brake pedal pulsation - I feel if more through the entire vehicle. If I depress the brake pedal really hard it will typically moderate, or go away entirely. If I'm in the 'Tow-Haul' mode it is usually felt less than when I do not have this engaged.
    Is this an issue of the amount of weight I am towing? A brake issue? Is this all normal when towing a rig like this?
    does your brake controller have diferent settings that allow gradual braking? I would start with that. could the brake drums on the trailer be warped?
    Barrail - Thanks for the reply - the brake controller is a built-in system by Chevy - it allows for adjustments in half increments - 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, and so on. Unlike the Prodigy unit on my former truck, this system doesn't have a 'boost' option. As far as the drums/rotors are concerned, that had crossed my mind, but I haven't checked these yet. Would this be the kind of thing that wouldn't be noticed unless I was trailering a heavy load?
  • jayes2jayes2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Doonster i assume you are talking about when attatched with your air.? I just purchased a brand new 2011 dually have two compressors feeding one tank and when tapping the brake pedal can dump two thirds of my air. it just caused me a major incident that shunted my 43 ft trailer and locked it up coz of insufficient air. They first thought the bleeder valve got it home without towing and has not fixed the problem. Have you found a solution ?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Hello doonster,

I can ask our technical assistance center this information if you like. On my end, I need to provide the last 8 digits of a vehicle's VIN when I do this. If you're willing to provide that information, please email it to me at the address listed in my profile.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jayes2jayes2 Member Posts: 2
    Problem fixed. With two compressors supplying
    air to tank u need a priority valve otherwise
    the float lever will flick from one valve to other
    and dump air I used a protek valve. As well the air hose
    must be atleast 2 metres curled up between them.
    Works like a charm .
  • cattleman2cattleman2 Member Posts: 1
    What was your solution? I have the exact same problem.
    my problem was no trailer brake lights,and maybe a turn signal was out. After exhausting my limited abilitys, I took it to my local mechanic and his son dropped what he was doing to look up the wiring schematics on some web site he subscribed to. the fuses were all good, and everything on the truck worked. the problem was only on the trailer harness. sorry for the long explaination, but the resolve was an faulty relay on the back of the fuse box under the dash, easily accessable by pulling of the dash board. hope this helps.
    To jhayes:

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond - To be honest with you, I have no clue regarding your response to my trailering problem (that's not your fault - it's mine). When you mention the air boost system in your 2011, compressors, etc. I am totally in the dark - Does my 2008 even have a system like this? How would I know? Please advise - I am a Dope. Sincerely, Doonster.
  • coopunleashedcoopunleashed Member Posts: 2
  • coopunleashedcoopunleashed Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 2500 6L. I have noticed that while pulling my boat in trailer mode it does not seem to downshift correctly. When going uphill it stays in the high gear and I lose about 10mph. If I take my foot off the accelerator and then back on again it will downshift but otherwise will not.

Any ideas? I use the towing mode and the light comes on the dash to show that OD is disabled.
  • super6sierrasuper6sierra Member Posts: 6
  • mdetrevillemdetreville Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    This question is for gmcustsvc:

My 1998 GMC Sierra's VIN is 2GTEC19MXW152296456. From that can you tell me what the rear axle ratio is, and/or what the towing capacity of my truck should be? Thanks...
  • mdetrevillemdetreville Member Posts: 2
    Never mind... it's in the glovebox..
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Glad you found it, mdetreville. I did pull your VIN up in our systems here, though, and see that you have an open safety recall on your vehicle (pertains to the electrical outside rear view mirror switch). I just wanted to make sure you knew it was there, and if we can help you get an appointment set up to take are of that, let us know via email (socialmedia@gm.com).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to someone who recently bought a used large truck or large SUV. If you have purchased a used large truck or SUV in the past 6 months, and you are willing to discuss your decision with a reporter, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 1 p.m. Pacific/ 4 p.m. Eastern Wednesday, April 18, 2012 with your daytime contact information.