Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Transmission Problems

2»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I had a slipping clutch on a Datsun ages ago and the symptom that stood out was that the revs would climb while in gear even though speeds would not climb. Does that happen?
  • star_riderstar_rider Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97' miata "M series". I recently experienced a problem where the transmission (automatic) would shift through the gears normally but would not go into that last over drive gear.Causing the car to run at high RPMs.The "Hold" light is flashing and the check engine code tells me to check the shift solinoids.After extinsive checks what I found out is that that there is nothing wrong with the transmission or the solinoids.
    The problem is that the Transmission Control Module (TCM) is not sending a signal to the transmission to make that final shift.Well the BIGGER problem is that Mazda no longer makes a TCM for this model,and I can't find any Electric shops in my area that can rebuild it.
    If anyone can tell me where I can get my hands on a TCM for a 97' miata I sure would appreciate it. :sick:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Junk Yard, perhaps?

When I had my 93 I'd visit the junk yard in CT near my in-laws' place once a year. I'd always find something I could use - a clip here, a latch there. Small stuff like that.
  • 69mach1madness69mach1madness Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same exact problem. Have you found the TCM yet, or another solution?
  • vitara4mevitara4me Member Posts: 35
    Greetings. I have 2008 Icy-Blue GT with a cloth top and 6-speed automatic. I noticed that on a cold day, the 1-2 is really sluggish and feels like it slips a little. Once warn, the tranny shifts normally.

My question is this: Is there a way to modify the automatic in the 08 Miata to have firmer/ stronger shifts? I understand that the trans is computer controlled, so maybe there is a module or chip that can improve shift quality? Perhaps a different fluid type?

Last question: Who makes the Miata automatic tranny? Is a Mazda unit, or one of the other Japanese sub-contractors? (Asian-Warner, Jatco, etc....)

By the way, this is my first Miata and I LOVE IT!! My last Mazda was an RX3 Rotory sedan, and before that, I had a Mazda Cosmo Coupe (also a Rotory).

Thanks!! ARG
  • hieushahieusha Member Posts: 2
    Hi ARG, it's been a while since your post. However, I hope you can respond to my post. I'm looking at a 2009 Miata with low mileage and a 6-sp AT. I prefer manual. I'm wondering what's your experience with your 2008 Miata6-sp AT. How does it compare to a manual. Thanks. -Hieu
  • mx5mazdamx5mazda Member Posts: 1
    hi, i experience an enoying noice comming from the driveshaft or gearbox area. I could not exactly locate the source of it. i have a mazda mx5, '92 miata U9, manual shift. what could be the problem. the gearbox shifts smoothly, oil on the box and driveshaft are checked. Any ideas before i have to exchange the complete gearbox and driveshaft ?! The noice is also there without engine running and gearbox in free.. so i think its source can be found in the reardriveshaft upto the gearbox.. ?! While driving around 20 - 40 km hour the noice is very well hearable and slightly gets worse while pushing the shiftstick towards 3rd gear without using the clutch. any idea ?!??!
  • JimAdams007JimAdams007 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 MX 5 with automatic transmission. The car has a little over 80K miles.

When the car is started cold and placed into drive or reverse there is a rattling noise . the noise is not present when the vehicle is in neutral / park. Once the vehicle is warmed up, the noise is not noticeable.

Perusing various other forums I have read this may be due to a problem with needle bearing in the torque converter. Has anyone here experienced this ?

Thanks.

Jim Adams
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    edited November 2023
    @JimAdams007
    Without examining this firsthand I cannot say that the problem isn't coming from inside the torque convertor, but that IMO is one of the least likely sources that I would expect to find. Besides, if the needle bearing supporting the stator inside the torque convertor is failing you would have other symptoms that you would be describing on top of the noise. With a rattle cold in gear something like an exhaust shield would be a far more common source. The bottom line here is someone needs to get this in a bay and making the noise to find its source. Anything less than that is a guess.