Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Axles

2»

Comments

• I just installed a different differental in my 97 4x4 that the only identifing marking are on the top. It is ZWB G 281 2 20. My old differential has similur markings. Can anyone direct me to someplace that explains these markings? Thanks, wsrader
  • I have a 2000 Gmc Sierra 4.8 and I want to get a posi-unit. maybe a eaton with 373 gears. but i really dont know alot about them besides that both wheel spin and the truck gets a good take off with good traction. Could anyone give me advice on what to look for when buying one and what would be a good price to have on installed. I asked a shop and they gave me the price of $1100 Installed. its an Eaton Differential, bearings, and 373 gears and the instalation. I live in Southwest Detroit, Michigan where here chevy trucks are popular and gettin them down to 11's is everyones goal. my truck is stock and it just has a k&n. my email is Juanelo_Irreziztible2008@yahoo.com if any wants to write me on there. thanks
  • I have noticed latley that my rear diff will "lock" up when making turns and it sounds and feels like I am draggin the outside rear tire. This mainly happens after a fast start. I just changed the diff fluid 2 weeks ago nad inspected the oild fluid and didnt find any shavings. This is an itermittent problem. Any ideas? It is the G80 rear end too.

Thanks, Scott
  • How do you replace a center support bearing ? 1998 G.M.C Sierra 1500 2 wheel drive. 5.0 V-8.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Posts: 231
    Short answer abridged from Second Edition Service Manual for '98 Chev/GMC...
    It appears that the center support bearing is a press off/press on arrangement. You do not want to use a hammer.

Support everything to prevent excessive bending of joints.
    Make reference marks to put things back in the same orientation for balance.
    Start by removing the rear u-joint from the differential and tape the joint to keep the caps from falling off and loosing the needle bearings.
    Next remove the center support bearing bolts and remove the assembly.
    Install in reverse order.
    KEEP EVERYTHING CLEAN and re-clean before assembly.
    A longer answer involves knowing if it is a two piece or three piece assembly, if it is a Dana or American Axle propeller shaft, and how much it will cost to have it towed to a repair shop if you loose something.

The last center support bearing I replaced was on a '70 BMW 2002. I've slept a few times since then. No pressing. Just a stubborn circlip and rubber flex joints that required compression to align bolts on re-assembly.

Good luck.
  • kboursekbourse Posts: 2
    Recently, I noticed that my '07 Sierra is making a squeaking noise when I'm driving. It doesn't sound like it's coming from underneath the hood. It sounds more like the rear axle. After, I loaded the bed with over 600 lbs of logs, the noise was more pronounced. Does anyone know what this could be?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Those trucks are notorious for rear leaf spring squeak
  • I have a 2006 GMC Seirra 1500 Short Bed with a 6.0 and 4:10 gears. My owners manual says this vehicle is not designed nor intended to pull a 5th or goose neck trailer. Why is this? Is this because of the frame won't handle it or are the afraid of damage to to the cab when making turns. Someone please help.

Thank you
  • shanman1shanman1 Posts: 1
    I ve had my 2011 sierra for 6 months with 3500 kms and would have no pick up and go sluggish and make like a loud poping sound three time s then go away awhile come back continiously took it to dealer and they had to take the engine apart, had a lifter ceased so they replaced all 8 so far so good i wasnt to happy i told service guys if this happens again i want a brand new truck this is like stupid trucks not even broken in yet.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Hello shanman1,

I'm glad that so far the repair that your dealership performed has held. Keep us updated if things start to go south, but hopefully that isn't the case!
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have a 2003 silverado 1500 4x4 with 5.3 and 86,000 miles. At highway speed I have a grinding noise comming from the front end. It seems to get quieter when I let off the gas. I can also feel the vibration through the floor and steering wheel. The noise/vibration gets much more prominent when I go over a bump. The noise does not change when turning left or right. The wheel bearings have less than 30 k on them. I`m not thinking the wheel bearing is the problem, I`m kinda thinking cv joints or input shaft bearings? I did jack it up quick last weekend and the left wheel has considerable back and forth play, but no up and down play..
2»