Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Fuel Problem

esoriaesoria Member Posts: 7
I have an 1988 nissan pathfinder. It's ran we'll for quite sometime till last week when i was driving and it felt a little hesitation. I didn't think much og it till it started getting worse and worse till now i step on the gas and it stalls. It will shut off, i have to keep stepping on the gas to stay on.
Does anyone know what it would be. I need to get it running asap.

Comments

• pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    One possibility (of many) is you got some gas with water in it. If there is enough water you may have to drain the tank, but a good place to start is to put a litre or so of isopropyl alcohol in the tank. It absorbs the water and is itself absorbed in the gas, spreading the water throughout the fuel, allowing the engine to burn it without stalling.
  • esoriaesoria Member Posts: 7
    I had replaced the fuel filter last week and it did help for about 3hrs. It ran like a champ then 3hrs later did it again. I'm in square one. RPM's jump around. if i don't have my foot on the gas it shuts off. If i'm driving i need to keep stepping on the pedal back and forth so it will go and i can't step on it to hard or it bogs out. I'm draining the tank as i'm typing!
    i drained fuel tank and replaced fuel filter and it runs like a champ now but now at idle the rpm's jump around or completly shuts down. I did put injection cleaner with fuel. how can i keep it running at idling?
    There is probably a separate idle fuel circuit. It sounds like there is still a little water in that circuit. Or it could be dirt - you probably found rust in the tank along with the water. That rust will clog the idle passages in the throttle body. The last time I got a bad tank of fuel I had to drain the tank and clean the rest of the system as well - including disassembly of the throttle parts to clean them out.

Did you find water in the fuel tank when you drained it?
    Yes i did find water in the fuel tank.
    OK, as I posted before, run some isopropyl alcohol through the system. You can save money by buying it as isopropyl alcohol or you can pay more by buying it as gasline antifreeze. One litre or so to a tank should be enough. Or fill up with the 10% ethanol fuel, which will do the same job. Either way will get rid of the last of the water. If it still runs roughly after that, there is probably "rust powder" stuck in some orifice in the fuel system. The effects of the alcohol will fix it in just a few minutes if it's just water.
    I ran some heet but still have same problem. RPM's are all over and now the engine light is on. I need to step on gas to stay on. It even back fires at times and muffler seems to be hotter than usual.
    What's does an a.b. valve do. The hose was broke. I replaced would that had done anything?
    I'm back to square one. It shuts off and no acceleration. I step on the gas and it hesitates big time. Any suggestions?
  • lenore1lenore1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 LE that since I purchased it 2 weeks ago won't allow me to put fuel in the tank without it taking up to or above 15 minutes. The auto fill tank sensor shuts it off every $1 or so. You have slowly remove the nozzle and find a good position for it - which only allows you to continue filling - but continuing to shut itself off. The dealer told me that Nissan is aware of the problem but they can't do anything about it? Has anyone heard or seen this problem?
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    Personally, I think the dealer is BS'ing you. This is not an issue specific to any car brand.

I've been to gas stations that take 15 minutes to fill, and I've been to others that take 3 minutes. Some shut off at the slightest back pressure from the filler neck, others don't care one way or the other.

When you fill up, put the nozzle all the way into the filler neck, then pull it out a bit to allow for an air gap between the nozzle's rubber seal and the opening of the filler neck. That should help. If not, find another gas station with faster, less sensitive pumps.
  • denacostondenacoston Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am having the same problem with a 2006 Nissan Altima that I purchased 4 months ago. I have taken it in to be repaired 3 times now. I is going back to the shop tonight. The first time they told me I did not know how to but fuel in my vehicle. The second time after i wrote a letter to Nissan Corp. reminding them of the lemon law they fixed the car. The problem was fixed for about 2 months before it started again. I suggest you continue to bother them until they fix the problem or give you a new car.
  • linighlinigh Member Posts: 1
    I have an '06 Pathfinder. Love the thing, with the exception of the gas mileage of course. It's supposed to take premium fuel, but are any of you putting in the (87 octane) cheap stuff & how is your engine running? I mixed gasolines (went from the expensive to the cheap) one time, & the "check engine" light came on & the car just about stalled out on me. I barely made it to the dealership, & they asked if I had mixed different types of gasoline. Well, the car got fixed & I was told to use at least the mid-grade gas. I've been doing that - yesterday it cost me nearly $70. But I'd like to know what kind of gas you put in your Pathfinder if it's '06 or later & have you had any engine problems from going to the "cheap" gas??
  • lewisllewisl Member Posts: 1
    I started having the same problem with my 91 pathfinder, so I did the alcohol thing and sea foam and replaced the fuel filter etc., to no avail, and finally a smart friend of mine told me it was probably the oxygen sensor, or possibly my catalytic converter causing the problem: rough running, hesitating, worse gas mileage etc.

They won;t pull code on a truck as old as mine around here, so I'm not sure if thats what it is, although I'm ALMOST sure. My brakes went out today and I'm not sure why, which is why I'm here, and that has to be fixed first.
  • Charlie6156Charlie6156 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Pathfinder SE failed emission because of a malfunctioned Fuel Level Sensor and I ended up stranded on a busy interstate. Can anyone enlighten me about this issue and what will it take to fix it? Any one know any good Nissan places in the north Atlanta, GA area.

P.S: This is the first and last Nissan I buy by the way.
  • oscollieoscollie Member Posts: 2
    The service engine soon light on my 01 pathfinder is on again. The service manual tells me a lean situation on the right bank fuel injector. I have performed just about every possible fix the service manual tells me to check on but the problem persist. The fixes I've done are: replaced the oxygen sensor; replaced all fuel injectors; checked for exhaust gas leaks; replaced fuel pressure regulator;checked mass air flow sensor.

Anybody knows the answer. Please the car is due for emissions test and I am sure it will fail. Iam sure the dealer will charge me an arm and a leg to have repaired..
  • gotohemangotoheman Member Posts: 1
    is it okay to use regular gas, any noticeable effects
  • jimmyt3jimmyt3 Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out what was wrong?
    How was it Fixed?

Thanks
  • ricardo_33172ricardo_33172 Member Posts: 34
    The feul sensor stops working on the Pathfinders around 40k miles (out of warranty). I am trying to get Nissan to fix it for me, however they insist that I take the suv to the dealer. The dealer wants to charge over $100 to tell me what others have told me for free. It is just an issue of principal. Nissan messed up with the quality of this part and if enough of us complain directly to Nissan (not the dealer) maybe we can get a recall to happen.
    :(
  • sinansakicsinansakic Member Posts: 1
    How did you check your MAF sensor? Last year my Pathy was losing power until it stoped and it would not run anymore; i would start it but three seconds later it would shut off.

I went to dealer and baught the Maxima 01 MAF sensor because it is a lot cheaper and fits Pathfinder 100% because it is basically the same engine.

The AWESOME power of my Pathy returned and i am happy.

Please remove your MAF and see if engine runs any different.
  • ricardo_33172ricardo_33172 Member Posts: 34
    Thank God enough of you Pathfinder owners complained. On March 2010 the recall has started for the Feul Sensor unit. There is some light at the end of the tunnel. The recall is located in the following link: http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/201- 0/V/RCAK-10V075-5769.pdf

this recall is not including the 2005 Pathfinder, even though the part numbers for the 2005 and 2006 are identical.

All of you with a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder that your feul gauge does not work need to complain to Nissan Usa 1800 647 7261.
    You need to tell them to give you a case number.

You also need to contact The http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and file a complaint.

If enough of us complain, we will get results.
  • bearhitbearhit Member Posts: 1
    Bump

Wife has 2005 Pathfinder - getting no help from Nissan - we'll just keep calling and wearing out their phone lines
  • trlenoirtrlenoir Member Posts: 1
    I have dealt with this problem for nearly a year now . . . well I have called Nissan about every 2 months about this issue and finally today, I received word that Nissan will fix my problem at their expense.
  • billydobillydo Member Posts: 1
    i cant pass emission cause the fuel gauge(sensor)on my 2005 nissan pathfinder went out.i try to call nissan but they wont fix it even though they recalled the one on the 2006 pathfinder wich have the same part as the 2005 .now i dot know how to fix it and i need some help
  • ktz4ktz4 Member Posts: 5
    This is our 2nd generation of Pathfinder LE, our 98 ran great, no problem besides brake and tires. Can't say that with our 2005 Pathfinder LE, how many car/truck out there that need to change a catalytic converter after 4 years, out of warranty because it's over 100K miles (cost us almost $1000), now the fuel sensor level, engine light kept staying on, problems after problems .. Toyota calling ..?
  • 9728jim9728jim Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 pathfinder with 114K miles. It's fuel sensor went bad about 6 months ago. I've called Nissan to file a complaint but they won't fix it. Just trying to add to the number of complaints hoping they will extend the recall to 2005 models too. Apparently they are recalling 2006 models for basically the same problem only I think the gage reads "full" when there is no fuel in the tank.

My yearly inspection is coming up and I can't wait for a recall to get it fixed so I am going to try to replace the fuel sensor myself. I bought a replacement part from CourtesyParts.com for $100 including shipping.
  • kaydogs9kaydogs9 Member Posts: 9
    i have a similar issue and i was told my a pathy mech that it sounds like fuel pressure regulator.wont know foresure till i bring it to him.changed plugs,wires,cap rotors only to turn rough again in a week. i`ll let ya know what i find
  • audhamaudham Member Posts: 31
    Just received in the mail this past week. Unfortunately!!! They only extended the N/C repair to 72 months/72,000 miles. I'm not sure where the @!#** they came up with that figure.

The Recall # is WBI/10-026
  • lamunchalamuncha Member Posts: 2
    Same deal with the Xterra - I assume it is the same component. Nissan has sent me a note extending the warranty for that part to 7 year 70,000 miles.
    This after many many complaints.
    Possibly something will come along to Pathfinder owners
  • lamunchalamuncha Member Posts: 2
    I may buy a pathfinder but there seems to be a lot of controversy over the use of premium v. regular. The owners manual says use premium, if you can't find premium get regular but immediately refill as soon as possible with premium.
    Question:
    My '05 xterra has 4.0 L, 9.7:1 ratio, 260 HP, 281 lb-ft torque.
    The Pathfinder has 4.0 L, 9.7:1 ratio, 266 HP, 288 lb-ft torque

Any one know why the Xterra is regular and the Pathfinder is premium?

Thanks
  • andony06andony06 Member Posts: 2
    I have used regular gas in all my vehicles for the past 30 years and have never had a problem with the engine because of it. I have recently purchased a 2006 Pathfinder and it gets 87 octane gas as well; at todays prices that is all it is going to get. Unfortunately, I am reading about too many problems with the Pathfinder and am getting concerned that I have purchased a LEMON, tranny and radiator problems seem to be the greatest concern as well as the fuel level sensor. Hope this helps.
  • kokoeduno1kokoeduno1 Member Posts: 1
    The fuel consumption is outrageous. the mileage is as low as 1 gallon to 6.2miles only. The service engine and air bad lights shows yellow on the dashboard.

Please what do I do? can somebody help, mechanics have eaten my money so much.
  • aj101aj101 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 nissan pathfinder never had any problems until 6 months ago had to get the distributor changed and was perfectly fine. now it starts but will turn off randomly seems like wasnt getting enough fuel i changed the fuel pump and filter but the problem is still there. it starts and drives but will turn off and then sometimes it will restart and sometimes it doesn't for a while. Does anyone know what to do??
  • hemi18hemi18 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you have resolved the starting issue. I have what sounds like the same problem. I changed the crankshaft position sensor and the fuel filter. Not sure what to do next? Any idea!?
  • jcirinojcirino Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder and when I am at a traffic light and I hit the accelerator the whole entire truck jumps for a few seconds until I give it more gas and then it is fine. It seems like it is starving for gas for a few seconds, but when I hit the gas pedal a little harder its ok. Does anybody have this problem?? Now a mechanic said it was a fuel related problem, however I don't know what to replace for this split second jumping issue.
  • melodymiagmelodymiag Member Posts: 1
    i have an 03 pathfinder and i JUUUST got off the phone with my mechanic regarding the cause of a problem which sounds exactly like yours. He said that something was wrong with an ignition coil and my spark plugs needed to get replaced. ill be paying around $250 for repairs:(
  • kennethknappkennethknapp Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2000 nissan pathfinder and had the same problem about 2 years ago after moving to Hawaii. I took it to a nissan dealer and they just started replacing random parts and charged me a lot. I finally just had my car towed back to my house and then started trouble shooting the problem. It ended up being the ignition relay that needed to be replaced. One way you can try to see if this really is the problem is change the remote entry relay with the ignition relay. That is if they're the same part/model number. They were for my car. If this works then you know that you need to purchase a replacement relay.