Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Engine Swap

mvolekmvolek Member Posts: 5
I was wondering if a motor out of an oldsmobile will work in an 89 s-10.

Comments

• hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    I've been wondering about the same thing, except with a 307 vice 350. Either way I'm sure things like cutting torch and welders fit into the equation. Actually, my little S-10 has been performing quite well with the 4.3L.
    :shades:
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
  • dthesmandthesman Member Posts: 5
    you can do lots without having to do any major cutting and fit any small-block nicelly man it's just how u go about it
  • miklmanmiklman Member Posts: 1
    Can I put a Northstar v8 into a 2000 Catera w/3.0 V6?
  • mvolekmvolek Member Posts: 5
    A 307 will work but is a lil large to be fit in there. I know it sounds weird but there is a difference from a 305 to a 307. But it will work
  • nhs06nhs06 Member Posts: 1
    does anybody make a 4.3L to 5.7L engine conversion kit for a 2001 S10 ZR2
  • csumnercsumner Member Posts: 1
    How hard will it to be to swap a 5.3L or a 5.7L V8 with fuel injection into a 2000 s-10 with a 2.2L with a 5speed manual tranny, if its even pratical?
  • thunder64ybdthunder64ybd Member Posts: 1
    1990 chevy s10 2.8 fast idle have changed out idle control motor still has fast idle pleas help
  • freewheelin72freewheelin72 Member Posts: 2
    a 4.3 v-6 from an Olds Bravada(another Chevy Blazer) . Gm got in some hot water in the late 70's for putting Chevrolet small blocks in Cutlas's (people whining about having an engine with more power and less expensive replacement parts--DUMB) that ended up legalizing using Chevrolet motors in race cars of other GM divisions .
  • freewheelin72freewheelin72 Member Posts: 2
    Any info about kits , adapters , engine management circuitry will be greatly appreciated .
    Thanks ,---Freewheelin'
  • dave162dave162 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 1999 Sonoma extended cab 2.2L 4cyl. It seems as though this engine is not strong enough for this truck. I had a 96 2.2 standard trans. and it will easily out preform this newer truck which is automatic. Anyone know if I can replace this engine with a V6? Will it match up with the trans. in the truck. How much should it cost? Any help?
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Best thing is live with it or get another truck, with computers swapping engines is not easy anymore.
  • philscbxphilscbx Member Posts: 33
    Both of these motors are worthless slugs of lead.[305 - 307]
    An Old School 327 stock is ten times that of both of the others.
    It has to do with the perfect Bore to Stroke Ratio of the 327.
    It has the best power to weight right out of the box.

It's why they were the standard issue for fuel economy and power in School Busses.

350's have been stuffed into these for some time now.
    Just Google search and you will see many done.
    Once you make a search for a topic, then hit image search button.
    You'll see hundreds done all over the world.
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    Can I replace my 4.3Z with a Vortec X or W long block? I would like to up grade my 92Z with a balanced Vortec using my intake and exhaust manifolds. Has anyone tried it before? Thanx
  • ridin_wild2000ridin_wild2000 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to replace my 2.2L in my 95 chevy s10 with a 4.3L. If I found another s10 that was 98 or newer with a 4.3L in it with low miles, would it match up under my hood. My 2.2 taps while running i have replaced the lifters and bridges. the tapping is coming from with in the engine. i gave up on this engine, and am looking for a total replacement. this is just a project truck now. thanks for any 411 :sick:
  • 1gmcsonoma1gmcsonoma Member Posts: 1
    I Have a 98 GMC Sonoma 2.2 5 speed and i was wondering if a 4.3 vortec out of a 98 GMC Sonoma Or 98 S10 would be the same computer and plug right in to my 2.2
  • miniwhlminiwhl Member Posts: 2
    I have been assured by the salvage yard and rodder friends that the engine swap from 2.2 to 4.3 is very painless, but don't know about driveshaft issues. The computer and harness from the 98 up TPI engine should be used and the radiator should be upgraded also. The only question I have is about the driveshaft. My Jimmy has the 2.2 5-spd, and the 4.3 will have the 5-spd from the later truck. Can I use the existing driveshaft or will I have to use something else?
  • miniwhlminiwhl Member Posts: 2
    I am doing the same swap, and have been assured that this is an excellent swap, but the computer, wiring harness, and sensors from the later model engine must be used to function correctly. Good Luck
  • ridin_wild2000ridin_wild2000 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently finishing up a swap in my 95 s10 the swap is very painless. Your best bet though is to find a car or truck with everything in it that goes to the engine, then you can swap the computer and everything else that matches the 4.3L. Our biggest problem was deciding which 4.3L to use when incountering a Vortec it is all wires and elctronic you could do all the chasing or you go like I did with a TBI, that was the easiest route along with plenty of upgrade options. The 4.3L has the same bolt hole pattern as a small block v8 so the 2.2L tranny wont match up and the 4.3L tranny is longer. So the best bet there for us was to either find a shorter drive shaft or a split yoak that would work, the other option is to buy an adapter kit that would allow me to use my t5 tranny from the 2.2L I think we bought this adapter from ADVANCEADAPTERS.COM
  • ghosttrikerghosttriker Member Posts: 1
    what are you smokin? i have built both 305,s and 307,s that have totally creamed so called "balanced&bluprinted engines". i had a 69 chevelle that had a tonowanda 307 in it and i wiped the street with everything that it came up against except for bvelieve it or not ,a supercharged 72 mazda rx 3. i also had a 76 monza spyder with a 305 in it. i raced motorcycles with that car. the 307 was a cross between a 283 and a 327. the 305 is a cross between a 262 and a 350. these motors are not given the respect that they really do deserve.the only real difference between them ( other than the 400) is bore size and heads.and that is cureable.as for more power
    from a 350? i have a 262 on my trike that pops out around 285 hp on pump gas.
  • davehcdavehc Member Posts: 1
    Can any one tell me what problems I would have swaping a 95 2.2 with a 2001 2.2 ? Would it be worth the swap as far as what I would have to change .
  • tver1tver1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there, I have a 1995 S-10 w a 2.2......im wanting to put a 4.3 vortec in it......Im trying to find out what I need to make it as painless as possible......any suggestions would be great.......thanks for your time and help......my e-mail is [email protected]
  • infantiinfanti Member Posts: 1
    Hey i was just wondering if anyone replyed to your thread, i was considering doing the same swap but to my 98 sonoma from my 2001 S10, and was wondering if its a pain stacking process or if it is even worth it?
  • 808s10808s10 Member Posts: 2
    hey i got this o2 s10 w/the 4.3l engine.. its out already. and a 350small block is going in but the ? i got is.. my year would it be realavent to like the 2nd gens. or is there other technical diffecaltys??
  • 808s10808s10 Member Posts: 2
    hey i got this o2 s10 w/the 4.3l engine.. its out already. and a 350small block is going in but the ? i got is.. my year would it be realavent to like the 2nd gens. or is there other technical diffecaltys??
  • boonejdboonejd Member Posts: 1
    Hey does anyone know how much trouble it is to put a 2001 2.2L s10 engine in a 1994 s10?

if you can email me @ [email protected]

thanks appreciate any help
  • sonoma420sonoma420 Member Posts: 1
    I recently swapped my 4.3l for a carb 350 want to know if anyone knows about using stock gauge cluster and what part of original harness i can use
  • ace89ace89 Member Posts: 1
    The engine in my '87 GMC S15 isn't the greatest, it's a 2.8 V6 so i want to switch it out. I want power so i would like to go with a small diesel engine. Has anyone done this?
  • nanoknanok Member Posts: 2
  • nanoknanok Member Posts: 2
    I've got an '02 S15 with a 2.2L, 5 spd, 4.10 rear end and 155K miles. I want to put in a 4.3L keep my 5 spd, and use a 3.42 rear end with disc brakes. Who can give me some insight into this job? I would appreciate all of the help I can get. Thanks everyone!
  • s10x3s10x3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 84 S 10 that has the 2.8 5 speed in it. The motor is in need of major repair and I have been told multiple times that the motor is not worth it and to put a 4.3 into the truck. I am pretty sure it will need a flywheel, clutch, and motor mounts but I am not sure if it would be such an easy swap. Any info as to this swap would be appreciated. Also, if there is an easier engine swap than this, I am open to suggestions. I do have a Pontiac 3.1, would that work?
  • tractoraxletractoraxle Member Posts: 2
  • tractoraxletractoraxle Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1985 S15 with a 2.5L Iron Duke. Threw a rod. Found a 88 jeep with an AMC 2.5L. I have been told that the bell housing will match up. Anyone know if the electrical, motor mounts and transmission (5 speed manual) will match up?
  • ryanatorryanator Member Posts: 2
  • ryanatorryanator Member Posts: 2
    I have 91 sanoma 2.5 5 speed two wheels drive. I also have 90 blazer 4.3 5 speed. I want the 4.3 (and tranny) in the sonoma, and maybe the other in the blazer just to get rid of it but dont care. If i just pull the wiring harnes at the outside fire wall and leave it with the motor and pull the computer will it all plug back up to the other vehicles wiring harnes, to keep it as much OE as possible?
  • steve1958steve1958 Member Posts: 1
    yes, this will work...
  • whitetailslamwhitetailslam Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know what kind of kit I would need to swap my 91 4.3 to a 350 small block in a 4x4 S10 blazer. Thank you for any advice that you can give me.
  • 355s10355s10 Member Posts: 1
    check jags that run. they have a full book on everything you will need. depending on if you are goin F/I.... you can easily get a harness from painlesswiring. the do v8 swaps in s10, jags... n a few other vehicles. you will need a flip kit for the radiator (4.3 radiator or vette radiators work) and 2.8 motor mounts from an older s10 will work fine. being a 91 is it TBI or carb??
  • shack4tomshack4tom Member Posts: 10
    Ok, I have an S-10 sitting there, its not moving cuz the motor died (RIP). I don't know which way to turn. Crate motor, junk yard motor, factory motor, rebuild the one thats in there or call the tow truck and get a hundred dollars? What should I do? I welcome all comments, maybe someone wants to purchase-I could make a deal. Concord NC. 2000, high miles but looks good, 2.2L automatic, navy blue. But I would rather keep it for my daughter and I to share. A bit sentimetal.
  • shack4tomshack4tom Member Posts: 10
    http://flitelineenginesupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&produc- ts_id=94
    This will probably be the source I use to find a rebuilt engine for the S-10, any and all comments are welcomed.
  • buckiejrbuckiejr Member Posts: 2
    can i put a 2000 s10 fuel flex vin 5 motor, in my 2000 s10 it has the regular 2.2. VIN 4 are there something you have to change .they both are 2000 s 10 2.2 motors
  • s10smooths10smooth Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 s10 with a 2.2..what the earliest year 4.3 liter engine can I swap in it and will the wiring harness and computer and transmission fit??