Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions 2007 and newer

Comments

• clewsewclewsew Member Posts: 7
    Traded in our 2007 Wrangler X with about 16k miles on it. Wife, kids and I were all in the Jeep and got the Death Wobble. Dealer put on a "heavier duty" stabilizer/dampner. Not sure if it really resolved the issue. Traded it in on a 2010 Subaru Outback. Haven't regretted it once!
  • skyking49skyking49 Member Posts: 112
    Glad you like your new car however it depends on why one buys a Jeep. Many buy it to go off-road and the Subaru cannot come close to a Jeep when it comes to that. I enjoy taking the top off for the summer and you cannot do that with the Subaru. I guess if you got lemon and couldn't get it fixed you had no choice but to trade it in but you could have bought a new Jeep.
    And just the opposite is true as well. There are many Subaru's that see places that many Urban Jeep owners will never see. There are just as many that buy a Jeep to just drive, and not go offroading or rock crawling. Yes, taking the top off is nice, and the moon roof will have to suffice for the fresh air while not the same thing, nice nonetheless.

I have zero reason to believe that Jeep has resolved the issue that has plagued how many gererations of Jeeps as I have see posters complain about their 2008 Jeeps with the same problem.

Just not a chance I was willing to take with my family. Thankfully I was the one who was driving when it happened and there was no incident to speak of.

So yes, the Jeep has a niche that is unmatced, but most of us do not fit the niche that requires the Jeep to enjoy the drive. I hope your Jeep is always safe for you.

Best regards
  • adelabreadelabre Member Posts: 2
    Ah, yes...the high pitched squeal. If you have a soft top then have them tighten it down at the head rail. Over time there becomes a gap in the top and the head rail seals.
  • adelabreadelabre Member Posts: 2
    Soft top is not any better, leaks like a strainer.
  • jeepercreepe1jeepercreepe1 Member Posts: 1
    I too have the 2007 4dr sahara with a wicked death wobble....nothing like hitting rough terrain on the 401 off ramp and almost taking out 2 cars going 80km/hr. U-joints are shot after 80k. Damper also replaced but did not resolve. I have done extensive search on recall, lemon law but no luck. Sad but true, you'll need to go with after market front end parts, (u-joints stablizing bar ect..) to totally solve problem.
    Urban Jeeps are capable of seeing any places that a Subaru can see and the opposite is not true for the Subaru. After all, you did BUY the Jeep for a reason.. iIke I said, you are satisfied now and that is all that matters. Right now you couldn't trade me a new Subaru for my 06 Jeep....well I guess you could but I would sell the Subaru and buy a newer Jeep. Jeeps should not have all these problems and I can understand how frustrated it can be. I had my Rotors replaced 2 wks after I bought my Jeep. There are a lot of Jeeps on the road.
    Being capable and actuall realizing that capability are night and day different! Less than 20 percent and probably less than 10 percent will ever see their potential. If you are wanting to purpose build a rock crawler then yes, go with a Jeep. I can tell from your post that you have never owned a Subaru or you wouldn't be so quick to discredit it. Is it a Jeep, no...will I have to worry about death wobble with 16k miles...absolutely not.

You are right, we did buy the Jeep for a reason. It was what the wife wanted...not because she needed an extreme off road vehicle, but becuase she wanted a Jeep. Truth be told it was a great learning experience for us. I know this, unless "Jeep" can build a higher quality vehicle I don't want another one as a primary driver! This is not an issue of a leaking seal above the drivers door...this is a safety issue.

One other note...you probabably did not know...the 2010 Subaru Outback was named the 2010 SUV of the year by Motor Trend. Something that Jeep did not even qualify for...why, because they fail to refine the Jeep to make it a more well rounded vehicle. Like I said...Jeep has the niche market tied up when one wants to go extreme. But again like I said before, probably 90 percent of Jeeps never come close to seeing the conditions where they actually do excel, which in turn means that they actually pail in comparison to the competition for the driving duties they actaully DO perform.

I am not saying that someone shouldn't own a Jeep by any means. That was our decision. If your Jeep does well for you then that is great. However, our Jeep did not and so it got traded in for something that I know would be a safer vehicle for my family and would still serve the purpose of a 4x4/awd for the conditions that we DO see.

And with a very similar HP/Torque number the Subaru will actually eat the Jeep for lunch! Another thing I find baffling. The new V6 that Jeep went with was "supposed" to be a better choice for optimum power and torque. Again...glad you like your Jeep. Maybe you don't know have the experience with something else so you are not disappointed...or maybe you are one of the very few out there that acatually DO use the Jeep for the extremely narrow niche market it was desined for. In either case, again, good for you. You are happy with your Jeep and that is all that matters.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Another thing I find baffling. The new V6 that Jeep went with was "supposed" to be a better choice for optimum power and torque.

Ah, it was never that. The 3.7 V6 is poor substitute for the original 4.0 I6. The problem was that the manufacturing facility was at the end of it's life, plus the 4.0 wasn't going to meet future emission and fuel consumption criteria.

A much better choice would have been the Hemi, which as demonstrated by several aftermarket companies can be made to fit quite easily, but that was too much of a leap for the Chrysler execs.
    You are wrong on many counts. I DID know it was named the 2010 SUV of the year. You stated that I discredit the Subaru. Cite where I did that. I love the Subaru. It might be my wife's next car. I agree that the I6 is a better engine and that is why I bought an 06..it was the last year for it. I think it makes it an instant classic. There is nothing like riding around the country, back woods etc. with the top and doors off. While the Subaru is excellent in snow, I go places where it would get hung up and that has never happened with my Jeep. By the way, I am 60 and this is the first Jeep I have owned. They really need to improve the quality, gas milage and that death wobble thing has got to do. As for it being a niche, it depends on who you talk to.

But consumers' off-road-use data can be skewed somewhat, depending on the definition of "off-road." Auto industry researcher AutoPacific Inc. of Santa Ana, Calif., found 13.4% of sport-utility drivers said they "go off-roading for recreation" and another 21.7% use their vehicle "to get to off-road camping, fishing and hiking sites."

"Where 15% of men SUV drivers said they go off-roading for recreation, 10.8% of women said they do, too. And while 24.1% of men said they use their SUV to get to off-road camping, hiking and fishing sites, 17.9% of women do the same."

•"In a world where only 15% of SUV owners ever go off road, Jeep says 60% of Wrangler owners do; for Rubicon models, its 80%. Those percentages are the industry's highest, says Kevin Metz, Wrangler brand manager. (Next highest, he says, is the Hummer H3, at 30%.)"

Like anything, it is a matter of choice. Put a Subaru and a Jeep side by side and most people that walked by would be checking out the Jeep. That does not make the Subaru a bad vehicle...it just does not have the wow factor that the Jeep does. I am on your side here. The Subaru is a great car. my Jeep was 4 yrs old in March and I only have 24,000 mi. on it. I like to do number 2 trails but avoid rock crawling. That type of activity is for folks that do their own work in the Jeep or have lots of cash. I do not.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    edited June 2010
    I don't have lots of cash, but I DO do my own work on my TJ whenever possible. It hasn't seen a dealer since I went in to buy a replacement lock for my wheels - 6 years ago.

My 97 has served me well, both in stock form and as I've built it for moderately advanced trails. It sees daily drive action in town and on the highway. NEVER had death wobble. But I also made sure as I built it up, I replaced those weaker links with stronger alternatives. I have no clue what is causing the DW in the JK's, but there ARE aftermarket solutions for stabilizers, steering, etc that will be a better solution than the factory swap of a steering stabilizer (which only MASKS the issue, not resolving it).

I'd give the dealer A chance, then go aftermarket and get stronger parts at likely a lower price. JK aftermarket parts are still rather high - TJ aftermarket parts are much more reasonable on average.

Too many people are afraid to do mods to a Jeep under warranty, but if the dealer cannot fix it - replace the suspect parts with something BETTER. Those parts may not be covered by warranty, but the rest of the Jeep will be. Don't let dealer ineptness stop you from owning a Jeep. If I did that, I wouldn't own most of the cars I've owned thus far in my life. Just find a way to make it work.

I say this and I'm sure you're thinking "Well, I don't have the $$ for it." True, SOME mods can be pricey, but Currie's heavy duty steering upgrade is $800.00 for the JK, but when you consider the size and strength and the problems it'll address, it becomes a bargain. The TJ version is 400.00 - further showing the TJ's value in aftermarket parts.

Some mods I did for body integrity - armor, etc. Those were wants. But my suspension system and steering are safety items for me and that is where I spent my money first. My aftermarket suspension rides better than stock and gives me great predictable control on the highway. It also handles incredibly offroad. I just researched until I found what would work best for me in terms of safety, performance, and price.

I too like the Subaru's, but the Jeep does more of what I want and how I want to do it. The Subaru's won't handle the stuff I do. But I'd sure love one for winter use and for hauling on the highway - I'd love a WRX (w/o the pushbar on the back) or a nice Legacy GT. :) They can keep the Forester. It's boxier than my Wrangler! :)

-Paul
  • huskycountryhuskycountry Member Posts: 13
    Taking my 07 Sahara unlimited 4-door in on Friday for a recall. They are saying that the transmission fluid can overheat while towing and climbing so they are putting in a "warning" light and chime in. Anyone else receive this recall?? Anyone else actualy have this happend to them while towing? Now I'm really scared to drive this car long distance towing or not in hot weather. Second recall on this car and in for three other problems, luckily under warrenty but is now no longer in warrenty. Read in paper about a month ago that Jeep is recalling over 700,000 cars due to a brake line rubbing and possible leaking. Haven't gotten anything on this one yet! Had to buy new tires at 15,000 miles due to the "death wobble" which so far is fixed from last Oct. Thinking of trading it in on a new Liberty, any thoughs or should I stick it out. Just shouldn't be afraid to drive a 3 year old car long distants.
    .....they are putting in a "warning" light and chime in. .......... Now I'm really scared to drive this car long distance towing or not in hot weather.

Why? At least if it does overheat now you'll have a warning so that you can either back off or pull over.

Any vehicle that's used for anything more than light occasional towing should have a transmission cooler installed, and a Wrangler is no exception.
    It's a common and inexpensive upgrade that you can either fit yourself or have an independent shop install for you.
    Kits are available at any auto accessory store like AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts.
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    If in the southwest, definitely get an aftermarket tranny cooler. If around Ft Worth Texas get the deal from Tribe 4x4. Never rock crawled. Never towed with the rubicon. Not completely burnt tranny fluid. Your tranny cooler is right behind that plastic bumper, not the gm brass tube in the radiator (which failed big time decades ago and some h3's reported recently.)

Brake line rubbing is because the plastic push pins at twelve o'clock high on the inner fender liner drop down a little and let that liner rub on the brake line.
    Just got Tribe4x4customs stickers installed.

Stopped by a dealer to get a $2.00 part plus sales tax. Was told told the closest one was out of state. Asked where. He said a dealer in Ft Worth TX. Dang. Front dif was a little greasy. Thought about deja vue when the front dif blew out the factory overfill. Following the tube down to the dif, not only did the tube fall out of the dif but the vent tube ($2.00 part) came with it. While Adam had seen problems there before, think he was a little amazed at just how bad it really was. Almost could've fooled a non wrencher into thinking it was a grease seal.
  • holsonholson Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2010
    :confuse: I have been driving an 09 wrangler x with 15000 miles and still no 'death wobble' issue. I cant even begin to think what it is like. it's really very smooth going down the freeway - even the concrete lined CA highways

even when the Jeep was in MA with pothole laden highways/roads, it never behaved erratically in the steering department.

i wonder if it's because it's the X model with the skinny 225/75/16 tires? i wish it had more directional stability though, but i suppose skinny tires, short wheelbase and slab sides dont help

in fact other than the apparently normal steering box' play, nothing has become an issue in 15k mi.
  • jstewart32jstewart32 Member Posts: 1
    My husband has a 2008 Jeep Wranglar. He put 12,000 miles on the tires and we had to replace the rear tires. What could be making the tires wear out so quickly? Someone said that when they put the lift kit on they didn't move a bolt in the rear axle to another hole (if that makes sense to anyone without seeing it), so my husband tried that and he didn't think it felt much different while driving it on the highway. Also when he is going on off ramps to get on the highway the traction control kicks on and he bucks all the way around the turn. Any suggestions? We have parked the vehicle until we can figure out the problem because I don't know about you but $500 every 12,000 miles is a little excessive on the pocket book. Thanks for any help on the issue.
  • okjeep07okjeep07 Member Posts: 4
    I owned a 2007 4-door Wrangler Sahara edition. It was as smooth as silk for about 20K then it went to 'hell'. The first thing I found out was the frame was not straight comming off the factory floor. That made the tire wear unevenly, and I also found out tires on new vehicles have NO WARRANTY through Chrysler. Then the death wobble continued and we changed stabilizers three times, pitman arms, ball joints, tires again, and on and on for 2 years. Mean while Chrysler re-designed the steering arm and via my contacts in Detroit, I had one of the first ones put on. It DID NOT solve the problem. I ended up swapping it for a 2010 (after being promised the wooble was designed out of it for sure in 010) and loosing $5K in the deal. Death wooble feels like the front end has come loose while driving. The wheel turns left and right uncontrolably and only comming to almost a COMPLETE stop will it go away. It hits you always in busy traffic when you're cruising along and don't expect it and it will scare you to death. Witnesses that traveled behins me when it happened over Easter weekend a couple of years ago said they thought my whole axle came loose and that I was going to loos my tires. They said they could see the tires moving in and out from under my car and that's exactly what it felt like. I have their names and numbers and considered suing, but how do you beat a gorilla? I gathered a ton of evidence and gave it to the head of corporate quality. He had someone call me and tell me I was lying and was not experiencing anything and they would admit to nothing.... I recorded him :)
  • meterman1meterman1 Member Posts: 1
    ditto..07 sahara..3rd stabilizer 100 miles ago on a tarbaby...turned around just outside of town on rough paved road and got the f-150. my wife suggested a lawyer. feels like both tires went flat and it wont stop until you stop...most dangerous vehicle i ever owned!! she laughs while we go off in her new 10 lariet!it all started at about 45,000 miles. you would think chrystler would atleast get their wranglers right...time to vist my ford dealer and get me a new truck..ive had enough!
    I agree on the lawyer thing. There is NO excuse for Chrysler. If anyone gets a lawyer that wants to file I've got a story to tell.... Let me know...
    Any comments or anyone else having problems with the "check engine light" that keeps coming on? Taking my 07 Sahara unlimited back in again Fri. Fourth time the light has come on in a matter of two months. Always seems to happen after they do some work on it. Had the transmission recall done last month, a week later the engine light comes on, take it back and they say nothing is wrong other then sometimes when it gets hot out side it may come on, what?? Really?? You mean to tell me everytime the weather gets hot the light is going to come on? Two months ago samething, did some other recall and a week later the light comes on. Getting real tired of spending my day off at the dealer.
    Due to my "death wobble" had to replace my tires at 16,000 miles. $998.00. Had the stableizer replaced and so far so good but only have 18,500 miles on it now due to afraid to drive it to far. Its been only thing after another. Now having problems with the engine light that keeps coming on. Just received a letter today from my local Jeep dealer offering to buy back my car since its in "high demand" and they would pay top dollar for it. Seriously thinking about it, but have to buy a new Jeep. Wondering if the new 2010's or 2011's (love the same color top as car look) are doing any better. Have had two Cherokee's one for 9 years and one for 10 years and absolutly loved them and had no problems what so ever with either one so really dissapointed with the Wrangler, only three years old and nothing but problems, to the point afraid to drive it any long distants.
    Just received a letter today from my local Jeep dealer offering to buy back my car since its in "high demand" and they would pay top dollar for it....................Now having problems with the engine light that keeps coming on.

Check out the deal by all means but be prepared foe the dealer to have a different interpretation of 'top dollar' to yours.
    Seriously, it's just one of the many ploys car dealerships use to drum up business.
    Even Aztec owners get the 'high demand' letter occasionally. :P

2011's haven't been around long enough to establish a reputation yet, but any new model will have teething troubles in the first year, if not longer.
    TJs came out in '97 and it took until '98.5 and some major changes before they became acceptable (sorry Paul ;) ), and it looks like JKs have yet to make the grade after four years in production.

On the check light issue, why not take it to Autozone where they'll check the code, and reset it if appropriate, for free. Beats spending all day at the dealers unless there really is an issue.
    A few months back, putting it into reverse to back out of the garage, sounded like a bucket of bolts in the tranny. Remembered all the heat shield posts-kicked on the exhaust pipe-noise abated. Heat shields, cracked exhaust manifolds, and catalytic converters all discussed. Lubed the hangers and the noise almost went completely away.

The rattle started to show itself again. The bolts on the drivers' side flange between the manifold and exhaust pipe/cat were loose. Tightened one from below and one from above. Upside down bolts - wasn't that they way american motors' kingpins were installed or is my brain cell dead.

Are jk's perfected yet, probably not. But remember that some engineers left when daimler got involved and the lack of cash, may be to blame and that doesn't include all the cheap parts all vehicles are/were made from as American workers (who some misguided people blame for high wages) lost their jobs to "competition". We asked for cheap and we got it. Pick up your new vehicle from walmart yet. Don't tell me about hyundai's - years ago here it was stated they would replace Japan's products. Any labor unrest there. Haven't heard of their US operations but assume the South is happy to have any job.

This rubicon is my fourth chrysler product since nineteen sixty-seven and my best. Do I look back at it, even now, after I park it even though it has not seen the the trail yet. You bet. Will something get loose or a bolt hole rounded and a wiggle wobble start. Probably. Hopefully, a dealer will help, but there are good people with their own businesses here in the metroplex. And I do carry a spare cheap little plastic clip in the console for the transfer case.
    Now have a second map light. Still have the free Harbor Freight 9 led flashlight in the console for a maplight, but while at Fry's today, I picked up a clip-on single led light (batteries included) for $1.99. Dang that plastic visor but wait it attached to the passengers Freedom Top latch. Fold down the visor and the it shines just where you want it.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    No offense taken. I bought my 97 in 03. :) But it has been an exception for a 97. Very few problems that were NOT induced by me. :) Just the catalytic and manifold crack which is WELL documented. Other than that, it's been stellar.

As for the uneven wear in the back, if you did a lift, the trackbar would need to be lengthened and probably the item your husband needed to do. Having the axle shifted over to one side SHOULDN'T cause abnormal wear. If he installed adjustable control arms (or whoever did them), may not have made them the same length. THAT would have the axle 'turned' one way or the other and that COULD cause problems.

As for death wobble, I've heard more stories about it on JK's than I have on TJ's. Not sure if all of them are indeed death wobble or more just a bad vibe. I am not there and do not know. But I've beat the snot out of my TJ (with larger tires, running the stock stabilizer after 13 years!) and it tracks straight and true with no vibes. Either I got real lucky or I'm just particular on checking my steering frequently. :)

-Paul
    Thought is was just me. 22k+ miles and I've cleaned the throttle plate and as much of the intake my finger could reach into a second time now. Thought I would have to reread all the crd provent and homemade catchcans and other tricks.

Another forum has a post with an owner with 60k km's disgusted by the dirty intake. But he also is using oil. The synthetic is staying in my block except for the crap from the functioning as designed pcv. Why doesn't the the pcv route to a small prefilter in the airbox before going thru the air filter. Changed the factory air filter at 12k miles. Shook and vacuumed the replacement factory filter again this weekend at 22k+ miles. No oil but imbedded fine dirt particles. Seems that for now only purolater from thailand is available. Never bought a wix product but expect to be ordering some on monday.

Maybe a smarter person than me can explain why a dirty oil intake manifold is ok or explain this design.
    edited October 2010
    Spent a lot of time re-researching catch cans after I saw a billet brand catch can for the hemi in the parts department of local cdj dealer.

Jeep isn't the only one sending clean air in one valve cover and putting dirty vapors/oil/stuff from the other valve cover into the intake manifold. Various search hits included a 2008 magazine test of a catch can versus no catch can, homemade dubious catch cans, coalescent discussions, and specific built cans for forced induction motors. Vehicle specific models from corvette to toyota.

The wix air filter in the jeep feels like it breathes better and the perimeter sealing ring is glued on unlike the purolator. Checked on the wix filter for the h3, doesn't need one at 2yrs and 20k miles, and didn't need one at 20k miles when factory was replaced with a new factory filter. The wix for the h3 the store showed me was a piece of crap. Plastic inner guard rotated and the sealing ring for the intake tube was broken at where the seam was supposed to be glued/plastic welded together. Sticking with gm for the h3. But this causes me to question the wix in the jeep.
    From reading material from the searches and a quick thought or two. The current design controls the desired air pressure in the motor and keeps any sensor in the intake and the throttle plate clean at the expense of all that stuff headed to the intake side of the motor. Oh but the synthetic valvoline I am using must be lubricating that important top compression ring. No need to use redline then because the natural top end lubrication sytem utilizing the pcv design is doing that. Why don't I just let it go. If it is okay with the epa and lifetime jeep warranty why should I care.
    edited October 2010
    Thread on another forum about using spacers to raise the front seats following an earlier thread about doing that to adjust the tilt of the back seat. One response was to just use the handle to tilt/raise drivers side seat. Response to that was our right legs still hurt for both of us, driver and passenger.

US has adjusting drivers seat and UK version does too. But one drivers seat is the others passenger seat. Jeep UK got me to mopar.biz and the retail price for the the UK seat bases are $357 and $627 Retail (add'l $12 for the handle). Reminded me of walking away from the H3 the first time because the dealer had a non power seat on the showroom floor. Why doesn't Jeep just spend their small difference and put adjusting front seats on all wranglers. Save power seats for the Sahara.

Readjusted the ebrake again. Looking at the rear pads (24K miles) only one third of total original pad material is gone. Some posts talk about 20-30K mile life on their pads. Do they cook their pads, drive in the mountains, or did the late 09's get better pads.

Changed out the good factory rubicon monotube shocks for hd yellow and blue nonlifted bill stines. Better_half says it is softer and coupled to the duratracs can sleep now on the bumpy interstate. Some dealer advertised the 5100's for 0-2" lift. Bill stine said the 5100 was for different lifts. (the small price difference was for the outer shell and longer rod?) Rubicon springs seemed to soften up after a few months and almost bottomed on a local whoop de doo. Now with the softer shocks and softening springs can bottom out the front end at that location. Got new springs on the crd when ball joints were replaced.
    The other forum seat thread mentioned rolled up towel since the couple both had right leg discomfort. One answer was to go to a baby shop and get a foam pad for a child's carseat. Remembered that I saw $12 seat cushions with a zippered cover at walmart. B-H's knee is worse than mine. Between us we have one set of painless legs. The cushion was a big success for the trip this past weekend. I feel lousy I didn't at least buy that cushion when I first saw it. Maybe I should join the other forum and give those guys a big thank you.
    Last few weeks with cooler temps the steering is nice and solid again. May do the fifth wheel grease mod or see my local gmc dealer about their grease tsb for their steering shafts. May just add a heat shield, around the steering shaft, from a flexible aluminum/ss tube like a dryer vent. Also, the motor is getting nice cool air to help that hot running (for low emissions?) v6. Seems like maybe the tranny fluid temp is staying low, maybe lower than the high operating temperature because the tranny feels like it has a real torque converter now. Or just my imagination. Tired of reading about hydrolock, sure do like her h3 fender intake. Thinking about a plumbing part solution mod to the airbox nozzle without a snorkel in the firewall or on the a pillar.
    edited November 2010
    Many months ago bought that twenty dollar aftermarket mic and was told by them I needed their pick to make my phone work. Ordered only the mic and while installing it the wires pulled out. Threw it away. Now that hands free laws are proliferating, ordered the mopar mic from lee, yes all the way up there shipping because they are smart and their use of ups tracking in your email is great.

Sometimes I am stupid and sometimes well.. Installed the mopar mic along side the screen. Did the menu+seek+scan trick and nada. Downloaded zipped releases post my 1.220 but didn't unzip or install. Kept reading the 2009 rer mygig just needed a mic and the enabling button pushing.

Back in my crd days kept hearing about the CAN Bus and what a pain, crd piggybacked computers against VM instructions. Grew up around people with the running joke Lucas, in bikes and sportscars. Going nuts so easy why wasn't uconnect working. A small spark of enlightenment after stepping back, with Mopar and electronics, check the battery voltage and if good just disconnect the negative terminal get a fresh cup of coffee. Wait. Connect the negative terminal.
    Posted too soon. Thanks a lot Jeep.
    It is now working. Thanks to the internet and not the dealers.
    Installed mopar mic (side of screen all that extra wire behind radio).
    Entered engineering mode and enabled vr on page 4. False success then failure.
    Mistakenly? also selected return to factory settings as only one post suggested.

Downloaded 2.302 from the net and installed. Screen shows it as v3.010.
    Nothing.
    Again why did I return to factory settings again.
    Entered engineering mode and disabled vr.
    Reinstalled 2.302 and uconnect is working.

On reflection, guess if I had just downloaded and installed the software after the mic was connected it would've been over. But that download was after a lot of forums discussions and learning curve. Don't want all the stuff working just the hands free phone. If one gets a new phone will it require a new download, don't know and for now don't care.

Add lost hours on the net etc to all those other hours lost to mtgs, forms, on hold, press 5, etc.
  • adrianxxx777adrianxxx777 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2007 Sahara, & my passenger side velcro opens a 3 inch gap when I go over 65 MPH. I run the heat all winter & still freeze. Would love to know if there is a fix besides new top (this one leaked when new), hard top, or duct tape - thanks
    I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Soft Top (4 Door) from my jeep I just traded in, I got an 010 just the same. Some one cut the back window and the back drivers side window to get in my Jeep and steal my CD's. Call me - four oh five four oh nine ninteen eighty - Oklahoma City. My top never leaked and it is Black with the tinted rear windows. My wife only let me have the soft top on it for about 3 months, then we put the hard top back on when the cut the plastic windows late one night. But if you don't want to go that rowt you may try Gorilla Snot. It is gray, and it may be able to close the gap???
  • jksupertrampjksupertramp Member Posts: 1
    Hey did you ever get it fixed?

I got an 09 Wrangler Unlimited and i have the same problem.
    Went back to Safelite to get it fix and its still whistling..
    Any idea?>
    Went to 4wp for a hi lift jack and ended up with an xrc8 w/syn rope. Cheaper than it was on sale earlier. The darn mounting plate was a third again the price of the winch. It may not have the appeal of a winch on a new steel or aluminum bumper, but I am pleased. Even the smittybilt cover, once the straps were re-arranged is decent. Adam and the guys at the Tribe 4x4 did a nice install and overcame a directions misdirection. It may not be lifted. It may have the factory bumper. But I got a winch long before I thought I would.

Was looking a pullpal's and the like. Read about burying the spare or pounding an old axle into the ground. One web site tested the WASP and panned it. 4wp clerk got positive feedback from a customer about the wasp. Yeah, when you start buying when you are alone sometines you just keep buying. On order can't wait to test the new toys.

Read a lot about that crappy Saginaw steering box. Of course, know about PSC. Brought this up because I thought one of Ed's links was to a story about the selling of the plant finally now to the Chinese.

Years ago, car ads touted we now have precise rack & pinion steering like expensive sports cars or something like that. I have no problem with the box or linkage yet. Still stock with slightly lighter and smaller duratracs vs the bfg mt's. I would bet that people who don't know all this would not know that the wrangler is not rack and pinion. It is precise for me and a lot less complicated.

Last night, had to get out and slightly adjust the head lights and fog lights to adjust for a little drop in the front bumper. But adjusted the fogs more to compensate for the weak headlights.
    Any thoughts on a 255 80 17 Duratrac?
    Googled folding shovels but ended up at omaha militaria in Ft Worth. Hadn't been there in over two decades. Ended up not getting that familiar GI one but instead the german model in the leather case. This was done right after getting the wasp.

Got a discount on the wasp from the local store, a Christmas gift?, after I showed printouts of the cheap free shipping smittybilt winches from amazon. Guess I am bringing this up since I have been asked and saw a post elsewhere about the wasp. Yes, I too saw that video of the wasp in vermiculite or some such medium. One of the counter clerks at the local store received a customer positive comment about the wasp. Snatch block still needed for the wasp case.

Think the rubi rides better with the extra weight taking up the front spring slop and the extra weight of the wasp and contents over the rear axle behind the rear seat does its' share also.
    Interesting read in the March 2011 JP Magazine
    Guess my continuing softening front springs will be the next object of attention.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you live in or near DC and have had fuel spitback issues with your car, please email pr@edmunds.com before Monday, February 28, 2011 to be interviewed by a reporter. Please include your daytime contact information and the year, make and model of your car.
  • mstaasmstaas Member Posts: 2
    I was actually looking into a different problem I was having with my air bag sensor when I came across this. My jeep has done the same exact thing...I have the same jeep as you. Did the dealership ever do anything about it??? mine is out of warranty now but you are right it is so scary. It has happened to me 3 times once I almost wrecked on the highway going 65 mph.
  • mstaasmstaas Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2007 jeep poping out of 1st gear every single day so annoying !!
    edited April 2011
    23K+ months and 37+k miles.
    Huber optics on front door windows, drilled the mirrors, charcoal canister cover, rubi rails replaced with real rock sliders(some side steel), hood spring removed, custom bracket and aux. tranny cooler, time and material to fix squeak from cowling, squeak still exists in drivers side dash during cold weather, indicated and not actual mpg's in dash display was as low as 15.+ and as high as 21.+. Front end not as tight as it was brand new.

Winch, wasp, snatch block, strap, military folding shovel.

A few extra dollars by the manufacturer to upgrade the vehicle, a lot less than the stupid advertising budget, warranty work (if not voided and), customer aggravation, and internet blasting, would've made it a definitive 4x4 vehicle.

Is it a keeper. Yes. If nothing else, there is the aftermarket and those who love jeeps.
  • pstraubepstraube Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited.
    I live in Michigan on the western end of Oakland County. I have an inverter I'd like to put under the front passenger seat so my kids don't blow out the fuses on my 12V outlets with their laptops and other electronics. I have heavy-duty cables (heavier than what I really need) to connect to the battery but don't have the expertise or physical ability/strength to run them from the battery into the passenger compartment.
    The dealership and other places want two hours of labor, which is beyond my budget. I live off of disability checks but would gladly pay someone something reasonable to help me out. I hate to sound rude by being picky but I'd obviously prefer help from someone who has done this before.
    Is there a local college that runs a day or evening automotive class?
    If so they may be prepared to take it on as an educational project for a small donation or for free.
    Not long after buying the JK, saw pictures of cracks in the driver's side exhaust manifold. Some told me they see it on lifted jeeps. Mine was replaced today. Quiet again.

Wisconsin +1 Texas-1. Good Luck and Best Wishes Tami.
  • jdejeephemijdejeephemi Member Posts: 33
    Has anyone had issues with a vibration in the rubicon? Usually around 20-30mph. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!