Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata DIY Maintenance Tips

fluxcapacitofluxcapacito Member Posts: 2
This can't be rocket science...I need to change the spark plugs in my Miata...can anyone tell me where they are located? My owner's manual says absolutely nothing. :)

Besides the spark plugs, I have brand new air, fuel and oil filters (and newly changed oil)...any ideas why my engine check light would still be on? I have to get an emissions test and I am running out of things to fix!!

Thanks. :)

Comments

• egarbeegarbe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Miata that shows a Check Engine and an EGR code when the gas tank becomes half empty....fill it up and the light goes off.
    Any ideas?
  • debbiekdebbiek Member Posts: 2
    clean the carbon build up out of the manifold with throttle cleaner. Worked for me.
  • pegleg1pegleg1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi.

I'm selling my 1991 Miata and there are a few scratches on the bumper that are a bit deep into the paint.

Any suggestions on how to make them less noticeable to potential buyers? Should I try and sand them down and then touch up the paint?

Thanks!
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Consider getting the car detailed. Many detailers can touch up the paint and make it look almost new.
  • moosematsmoosemats Member Posts: 1
    My 93 special edition has what sounds like a bunch of water in some body cavity just over my left shoulder when I accelerate from a stop and/or brake. We recently had two weeks of torrential rains, so it is possible it accumulated then.It's NOT in the door. My question is; how to I drain this so I don't rust from the inside out? Thanks!
  • stimpy5stimpy5 Member Posts: 1
    If you can't find the spark plugs you shouldn't be allowed to own wrenches!
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Did you check your drain plug located behind the passenger and drivers side seat. Mine was somewhat plugged and I used a fish tank hose cleaner to gently clean it out.
  • susie57susie57 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a problem almost from the first month ownership with having screws falling out of the central roof latch/locking mechanism -- how can I take it apart and apply lock tight or something to keep it together? The manual spring release is now sticking and another screw fell out this morning!
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Picked up a “91” Miata MX-5 (49,000 miles) the other day for my wife for Christmas. Great condition, with one exception; previous owner had battery problems. I can see he had a new battery in it now, but it’s a wet cell replacement that the Mazda dealers are now putting in and not a gel AGM battery. I believe the alarm system is partly, if not solely, to blame for this battery drain problem. I would like to disable or remove this alarm totally to eliminate this possibility before I buy a Westco. Miata battery. The alarm whines, beeps and screams even when I’m trying to just jump the car. I’m guessing it’s an OEM alarm system but I could be wrong. It has little black on/off switch directly under the steering column but that doesn’t seem to do anything. I only have an entrance key for this car and no key fobs. I’m hesitant to do anything without knowing if this alarm is an engine immobilizer also. Any help on how to operate, disable or remove this alarm would be greatly appreciated.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Nothing a little bit of lock-tight can't fix. Just put some on the tip of the thread before you put it back on. I'd pro-actively remove others, one at a time, and add it to those as well.

Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.