Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon: fuel or starting problem

bonnie16bonnie16 Member Posts: 2
edited October 2018 in Dodge
I am trying to fix a friends care he took it to the shop cause he drives for about 12 miles and it will die. most the time you have to let it sit awhile he says to get it to start, the shop he took it to said he had a cracked fuel line. i checked it out even though i new it not to be true no problems. when it dies the coil pack still works so that aint problem check release for fuel on the rack and find it still has fuel seen a post on tps i am wondering if it would be worth it to replace or not thanks

Comments

• bonnie16bonnie16 Member Posts: 2
    thanks but found the problem had to get a smoke test has a hair line crack in the fuel system so i stand corrected it can happen this is a outstanding site though
  • ebramlebraml Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 neon with @195k miles (haven't replaced the gauges and speedometer often isn't working)... everytime I need to fill up the gas pump cuts off every .2 gallons pumped. i have to hold the handle at the slightest pressure to get just a little gas to pump before the pump cuts off. This is getting really annoying and has beenhappeneing consistently for 6 months or so. Is there a trick to getting past this? or this is indiciative of a another problem. everything seems fine, mileage is good, everything seems to be running well (knock on wood) please help and thanks in advance
  • rooineckrooineck Member Posts: 2
    Folks,

The steel gas tank has a different fuel filter/regulator setup to what is described in the Haynes manual for the more common plastic gas tank.
    Has anyone any experience with regard to replacement of the fuel filter in the steel tank, or where I can find related info?
    What part are we looking for?

The car stalls after about 15 minutes of driving.
    The engine cuts out totally, even when doing 70mph on the freeway.
    Leave it a few minutes and the car goes again like a dream.
    Engine purrs smoothly and plenty of power on pull off.

Having perused the forum I have an idea to replace the EGR valve, but I would also like to check out the fuel filter.

The local (no longer) trusted mechanics have replaced the coil twice, plug wires twice, plugs and cam sensor without resolving the issue.
    Timing belt and water pump are new.
    Fuel injectors flushed about a year ago when the problem first started.

Now I take matters into my own hands.

This is a 96 2L SOHC manual shift Plymouth Neon with 63000 miles and in otherwise excellent condition.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
  • aknarfaknarf Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Ok folks put on your thinking caps. because I got a good one for anyone that can help me out here. I have a 2000 neon Automatic have done a few mods to it .. nothing special .. CIA / HIGH FLOW CAT / MOTOR MOUNTS / GUTTED interior/ complete lowing kit. here is to prob.

From about 0 to 30 miles per hour the car falls flat on its face.
    from 30 to over 110 the car motor has more power then needed

Transmission has been custom built with Manual Valve body and approx 2700 stall converter with No internal clutch

Trans does not communicate with PCM as been disconnected

Prob is not in the trans you can hear the motor completely bog down until you get about 30 - 40 feet down the road then it stands right up and takes off...

not an shifting issue does this in first gear. every time not just sometimes. EVERY TIME.

was told adding a aftermarket fuel pressure reg would help but there is not return line so this is a prob

any thoughts on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated

JEFF
    NARF RACING
    ALASKA
  • cowboyup8cowboyup8 Member Posts: 1
    I was told that the possible reason that my Neon might not be starting is that the clutch saftey switch might have gone bad. It is a 1997 1.5L DOHC FI Man Trans. Does this part even exist? If so where is it and how do I replace it and or test it before I do.
  • tazzjam69tazzjam69 Member Posts: 2
    got a 95 neon but a new head on it got it running after all the work. while it was warming up one of the injecters was turned so i turned it so that it was strate with others. then it stalled and will not start back up. it says that the ASD is activated as you try to start it all the injecters with pulse then only #3 with pulse. tryed new computer and cam sencer. need ideas befor i send the car to the scrap yard.....
  • jlsjrjlsjr Member Posts: 1
    hey did you ever get any answer to this because i have the same problems with mine any help would be good
  • tazzjam69tazzjam69 Member Posts: 2
    I never did find out what was going on witht he 95 i had i ended up getting rid of it. but i just had a nother neon doing the same thing come in to my old work. i ended out finding a broking wire on the back of the altanater. it was bring on the ASD relay because that is where it get the 12volt ref. and thats where the green and red or was that green and ornge wire starts from for the injecters, O2, coil, and alt goes to. let me know it that helps you out.
  • skyytvskyytv Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

My name is Carlos and I own a 2000 Plymouth Neon which has given me all sorts of problems from day one. But I love my Neon and refuse to let it go. I've had shock absorber issues, tire issues, had to buy a new PCM, CAM bearings replaced, had alternators and startes replaced, etc...

After replacing my PCM cos' the old one died out on me, my car isn't the same one I use to drive before. The car takes off perfectly but when stepping on the gas pedal to gain more speed, you hear the engine make a "WHOOOO" sound...like its pulling back (misfire?) and then you'd have to press it down a few times to get it move faster. What could be the problem?

My mechanics say it could be a fuel pump? Or should I just change oil and get the fuel lines purged?
  • amunnamunn Member Posts: 9
    Hi ya if you dont put the gas nozel in all the way that usally fixes that problem my car does the same thing i usally just put the nozel in no more than 1/2 way as for the gauges if you take out the gauges and just touch the solder connection on back of the gauges just enough to melt the solder them let it harden again this will fix the gauges
  • blueberryneonblueberryneon Member Posts: 2
    ok so i just bought a 2001 plymouth neon 140k miles and still runs pretty darn good and i love it so far, except for a couple things:

1 it has some difficulty starting. it cranks (rather noisily) for 1-3 secs before starting up and then it runs fine. there doesnt seem to be any circumstances that contibute to this like a cold engine or anything like that. at first i thought it was because of the fuel injection because i would pump the gas a little and it seemed to help but then i realised after starting it without pumping the gas that it made no difference. plus i added fuel system cleaner and it didnt help. my mechanic said it might need the throttle body cleaned but im afraid to do it myself cause theres a sticker that says not to mess with it and it costs $60 for him to do it and and dont wanna pay that unless i know it will fix it. i have a sneaking suspicion it might be idling too low too, but its hard to tell cause this car is totally standard and has to tachometer!

2 if im not gentle with the gas pedal when accelerating (especially from 0mph) the whole front end jumps up and down very angrily until i take my foot off the gas. the dude i bought it from said it was the transmission mount but ive looked at all the mounts i think, and cannot see a faulty transmission mount- i dunno exactly what to look for tho.

3there seems to be a slight lack of power. it accelerates pretty slowly especially in higher speeds and seems to crawl like an old rickety bus up hills. it even sounds kinda like a bus. on flatter streets in between 25 & 50mph i can floor it and it goes VROOOOM and takes off. i dont think its the spark plugs because they guy said he checked them hours before i bought it and they were fine. i dunno maybe it just kinda a weak car but most of the reviews ive read said it was pretty powerful for what it is. is this just the way to car is or could there be something off?

also, a general question: theres a bit of rust in the cooling system and once i noticed a very small leak from the waterpump but i havent seen anymore leaking and the temperature gauge never goes above 1/2 way up, even on hot days when ive been driving around town all day with the ac on. should i be worried?

I know that this looks like alotta crap about nothing but if anyone sees a connection with anything or has any ideas or has had similar experiences, i would just love to hear about it!!! ;)
  • BIGDADDYHORTONBIGDADDYHORTON Member Posts: 35
    CHECK YOUR FUEL LINES FOR CRACKS, SOME ARE NOT ABLE TO BE SEEN UNLESS YOU PUT AN ADDITIVE IN IT OR HIGHER PRESSURE.
  • BIGDADDYHORTONBIGDADDYHORTON Member Posts: 35
    1 I'D REPLACE THE THROTTLE BODY, FOR THE PRICE OF A NEW ONE AND THE COST OF CLEANING IT IT'S WORTH IT. YOU'LL GET BETTER RESPONSES OUT OF YOUR ENGINE, TRY GIVING IT A TUNE UP FIRST, PLUGS, WIRES AND THE COIL PACK,

2 CHANGE THE MOTOR MOUNTS ANYWAY, AT 140K THEY ARE PROBABLY SHOT, THEY ARE SOFT TO BEGIN WITH AND WITH AGE GET HARD. AFTER MARKET ARE THE WAY TO GO BUT START OFF HARD AND THEN THE ENGINE VIBE GOES AWAY, YOUR CHIOCE.

3 CHECK YOUR CATALYST CONVERTER ON THE EXHAUST, USUALLY IF A CAR RUNS FINE ON FLAT GROUND AND THEN LOOSES POWER PULLING OR UP HILL IT IS THAT, FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, AND DO TO THE AGE OR MILAGE ON IT.

4 CHECK OUT WWW.MODERNPERFORMANCE.COM YOU CAN FIND RESONABLY PRICED PARTS WELL UPGRADES AND WILL BE SURPRISED ON THE OUTCOME. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU. :sick:
  • lilimpatientlilimpatient Member Posts: 4
    need to know a good inexpensive way to fix a rusted out fuel tank filler tube for 95 neon. broke off at the body where you stick the nozzle to fill it up. new one cost 234 dollars. don't wanna go that route
  • lilimpatientlilimpatient Member Posts: 4
    i need to do a tune-up on my 95 neon. it has 113k miles on it. I would like to start makin a tuner out of it. tune-up related, what can i do to get more power out of it and will any of the upgrades consist of other things needing upgraded i.e fuel pump,coil?
  • abdavisabdavis Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Neon has a fuel issue somewhere. I can get it to turn over when starting, but it doesn't really respond to the gas pedal. In fact, if I push it to far in, it will die immediately. If I don't do anything, it dies. The only way we have been able to get it to respond to the fuel pump was to pump air into the fuel rail while running the car. Then the engine ran perfectly, which suggests maybe that the tank is not getting enough pressure.

Any thoughts other than a new fuel pump?
  • retrokidableretrokidable Member Posts: 1
    my srt 4 is having problems starting up, i was driving and then all of a sudden it turned off on me, it started to loose power till it got to s stop, i tried to turn it on but it doesnt crank or start.. i checked the fuses and relays and i even got a new coil but it didnt start and i even got a new crank position sensor and didnt do anything.. please HELP....
  • jesshold602jesshold602 Member Posts: 6
    so, i have had over heating problems for the last 4 months with my 95 plymouth neon. got a new radiator and a bunch of stuff done to it. got my car out of the shop 4 days ago and THANKFULLY i was only driving to the store right down the road from my house and as i was turning in my car completely died and locked up. i got it to the pump and had someone look at it. said it might be the fuel pump. has anyone had this problem or anything similar to it?????
  • Have a 2004 dodge neon seems to be flooding with fuel when I try and start it, what do i do.
  • Have a 2004 neon seems to flood when I try to start it. HELP
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So how do you know it's flooding? Does it start eventually? Does this occur hot or cold engine, or all the time?