Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Outback vs Ford Freestyle

Comments

• sportmansportman Member Posts: 23
    Mike,

I think you are confused regarding quality. Dollar for dollar the Freestyle will be far less expensive to own over a five year period than a German make.

"German engineering" has become an oxymoron. If you look at the initial quality ratings, Audi/Volkswagen has a long way to go. They are expensive to buy, expensive to maintain and do not have great resale value. Mercedes has suffered a similar fate - they rank 17th overall.

The value is from the East (Toyota, Honda, Hyndai (sp?). Statistically though, Ford and GM have come a long way and are worthy of consideration.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    the fact that the FS has 3 rows may work against it and for the Outback.

How?
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I'm suprised someone who want's "appliance" like cars would buy a Ford, considering their reliability and durability issues! haaaaaa

I've been very pleased with my Ford appliances . . just as happy as my brothers with their Hondas and Toyotas.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We test drove one last year, and have driven several Subarus (own 2 currently).

The Freestyle is much, much bigger inside than the Outback, bigger even than the Tribeca. It's about a foot longer than the Outback on the outside.

My family actually enjoyed crawling around in the inside, with all the space and flexibility. The fit/quality could have been better but it wasn't bad for the price.

It felt a bit bland for me, nothing truly bad about it, but nothing inspiring. It drove and felt like a decent minivan, basically. Steering too light, too much lean, sort of soft. The Subies feel more fun.

Our conclusion was we would just buy a van instead, because it didn't seem to have any advantages over a van besides "not being a van". LOL

:D

Steep depreciation, for us, was a good thing because we would consider a used one. Reliability is much below average if you believe CR, so that's a concern as well.

Overall, though, it has some great packaging that Subaru could learn a thing or two from.

-juice
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    I don't read CR, but that's the first time I ever heard anybody say that CR was reporting reliability "much below average". To the contrary, I've been hearing that CR has the Freestyle on their "Recommended" list. It can't be both.

No advantages over a minivan? What about..

1) Much better gas mileage
    2) Hugely better crash protection (Volvo XC90 chassis)
    3) No minivan stigma
    Plus if you drive a minivan and then jump into the Freestyle, you'll see that it does drive more car-like.
    The buyer's guide I have at work gives it a big black dot. They may have recommended it until they gathered that data.

The Ody gets 20/28 and the Sienna is close to that, too, so mileage isn't really a lot better than the minivan leaders. Though it is much better than Ford's own van, the Freestar. That's a pretty low standard to compare, though.

As for the stigma, the funny thing is that most of my male friends own minivans nowadays. I don't really care about that stuff anyway.

-juice
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    As for the stigma, the funny thing is that most of my male friends own minivans nowadays. I don't really care about that stuff anyway.

You and I both. Drive what works best for the need! I almost think of the Freestyle as a "shaved down" Expedition - and that is not necessarily a bad thing. The newer Expeditions are very comfortable vehicles.

I certainly prefer the better road feel of the Subaru Outback, but the Fords have far better road feel than, say, their GM counterparts. I never got so far as to test drive a Freestyle, but my guess is that it probably "feels" similar to the Expedition (in terms of pedals, steering) except with better handling characteristics and fuel economy!

Tough to say. If it were to have a few more years of production and evolve a little more, I would reconsider it. The depreciation really gives me pause, though.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The word I'd use to describe the feel is "light". Probably great for a lot of Point-A-to-Point-B folks. Light steering, soft suspension, gets the job done but doesn't offer much feedback, which is OK for most folks.

I don't like the Expedition much (I prefer small cars) but my wife test drove one and loved it. Gas mileage was dismal and that kept us away.

-juice
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The word I'd use to describe the feel is "light". Probably great for a lot of Point-A-to-Point-B folks. Light steering, soft suspension, gets the job done but doesn't offer much feedback, which is OK for most folks."

I would not use that word at all. I have had the FS in curvy mountain roads several times. It handles extremely well; very stable. And the ride is not overly damped; one can feel the road.

If you took a ride at the dealer, maybe they had the tire pressure too low, to improve the ride...
    Sort of funny that when someone makes a comment and then you ask a question, they never respond back. I guess you can tell the folks that are interested in a discussion and those that aren't.
    And the ride is not overly damped; one can feel the road.

I agree. While it doesn't drive like a sports car, neither does it drive like a Lincoln Town Car.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    "Sort of funny that when someone makes a comment and then you ask a question, they never respond back. I guess you can tell the folks that are interested in a discussion and those that aren't. "

Sorry, I've been away the past 4 days helping raise money by doing a charity drive with 40 other Subaru owners all over the NY/NJ/PA/VT area. I will respond to your question, so get your panties out of a bunch!

-mike
    I wear boxers.
    Actually, a more comparable car to compare the Outback against might be the Ford Focus Wagon. Even though it's 10" shorter, the Focus Wagon has more rear legroom and a larger cargo area. It gets a lot better MPG and is cheaper, so if you don't need AWD, then it might be something to consider if you're looking for a 5 passenger wagon.
    Well, Focus is closer to the Legacy wagon, i.e. non-Outbacks.

I just wish they'd update it. How old is that design? 8 years now? At least they're cheap.

-juice
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    my buddy here at work was in that charity drive last weekend. You guys did a real good thing. I saw some pictures he sent. the roads didn't look to be that bad considering some of the pictures i saw of past events. I'd like to join him next year but i don't think my wife's forester can keep up. Good on ya.

Regards,
    Kyle
    I'm sure her forester would be fine. We didn't really go fast at all. There were several Foresters, even an old 2.5RS and a 1 wheel drive Scion!

-mike
    what car were you driving? i saw mostly WRX's, outbacks and Legacy GT's.

Regards,
    Kyle
    The support vehicle Armada. Worked out well as we had to tow one of the STi out of the Pine Barrens after a part of the shifter linkage broke.

-mike
  • mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    For all of you that brag about the reliability of the Toyotas and Honda's.
    Toyota just announced a 1/2 million vehicle recall.
    It happens to the best of them .

Mike K happy with his 06 outback.
    My friend here at work (Rob, 2003 silver WRX)) mentioned that. Wasn't it a Hi-Po STi? Some monster work under that hood as i understand it. I'm also trying to talk the wife into a quick 3 day state tour of New York, VT and new jersey. We'll see how that goes. Thanks anyway for your input.

Regards,
    Kyle
    Nice, yeah it was an STi with a $9k trans in it. Of course the part that broke was I believe one of the only parts not replaced, it was a cast part from the original trans.

-mike
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I would have to agree. When I was in the market for a AWD sport wagon, I looked at both the OB and the AWD FS. I thought the FS handles great, had plenty of room and as the dealer knocked 8K off the MSRP, I went with the FS. I also opted for the extended warranty ($1000) as I thought Fords basic warranty was not adequate for a first year model vehicle (2005 AWD SEL). My only gripes are the so called automatic climate control (I prefer the simpler dials) and the exterior radio antenna (most others integrate into the window or use power antennas). After one year and 12k miles, no problems at all. So far, so good.
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    How much was it?
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Freestyle almost always beats Outback/Legacy on price by thousands. Sounds like rick2456's Freestyle was loaded. I got an '05 SE 2WD Freestyle model new 1.5 years ago with side curtain airbags the only option for $22,300, which was below invoice a couple of hundred bucks.
    FWD /= AWD, so that's apples to oranges.

AWD has a market value of about $1750 or so, depending on the type of system.

Any how, the Ford Five Hundred is getting the 3.5l engine, does that mean the Freestyle gets the same upgrade for the 08 models? Does it also get a face-lift like the sedan did?

-juice
    I thought Freestyle was being discontinued... or is that just myth?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    One was in front of me at the car wash on Saturday. That thing is huge compared to the Outback. Definitely not something one should cross-shop. That could be crossshopped with non-extended mini-vans or the pilot!

-mike
    Yes and Yes.
    How did you get that idea?
    Thought I read it on an automotive web log somewhere, but it is just a flicker in my memory. It primarily addressed the Edge crossover.
    Ford waffled, waffled, and waffled on that decision. I recall reading the same thing, but they saved it at the last minute.

I predict the 3.5l engine will help sales, I bet they go up a good 20% or so.

To me the FS with the 3.5l makes a lot more sense than the Edge. Much more room and it's actually lighter, go figure.

-juice
    To me the FS with the 3.5l makes a lot more sense than the Edge. Much more room and it's actually lighter, go figure.

I came to the same conclusion. At first glance, I thought the Edge had quite a bit of potential as it was a "smaller" car and seemed more in line with my needs. But, the more I read on it, the less I liked it. The Mazda CX7 fell into that same hole. In the end, it did not matter at all because my wife did not consider anything other than Subaru. :P

The pair of big hang ups with the "possibles" list was the price range limitation and AWD (or 4WD, but AWD preferred). I ended up with a hodge-podge list of wagons (or wagon-ish vehicles, like the 4-door Jeep Wrangler) and mid-size CC pickups. I was actually leaning toward the pickup, but one of those "you are out of your gourd" looks from her was enough to silence me on it. I will just have to keep Ol' Yeller in service a while longer.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I was actually leaning toward the pickup, but one of those "you are out of your gourd" looks from her was enough to silence me on it. I will just have to keep Ol' Yeller in service a while longer."

Did you consider the Honda Ridgeline?
    I almost hate to admit it since the Ridgeline is so terribly ugly, but yes, I did. :blush:
    Yeah, CX7 seemed very small, ruled it out early on. Some turbo lag, too.

Edge is too heavey. CX9 is actually closer to my ideal, but for some reason when I sat in one at the Auto Show, it just didn't do it for me. Hard to even explain why.

I'll have to take another look at one of those CX9s, though.

-juice
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    killed Freestar the minivan.

Krzys
    They finally mentioned the Freebie is getting the face-lift and the new engine in this week's edition.

-juice
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    According to Car and Driver, it'll be Taurus X (http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/12434/2008-ford-taurus-x.html).

I was wondering if the change of name affects a car resale value.
    now the freestyle. why not name them Tweedledum and Tweedledee?
    Whoa! Quite a few good changes for the new model year. Upgraded engine, no more CVT (a big plus), same presumable crummy Ford sale/resale value means they should be fairly cheap....
    The engine is a big one, IMO. Should boost sales. The name change won't hurt, as Freestyle didn't have any name recognition and sounded too much like Freestar, too.

-juice
    Ugh. Yes. Really bad name there. Taurus has a ton of name recognition, and not all bad, either. Now, if Ford decided to rename Fusion to Tempo.... I would be concerned! :P
    >>> no more CVT (a big plus)

That's a big MINUS, in my book.
    Ford Trannies were never good, can't imagine tht their CVT would be any better. I'm not completely sold on the CVT concept on a whole.

-mike
    I'm not completely sold on the CVT concept on a whole.

It's what the automatic transmission should have ALWAYS been.
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    "no more CVT (a big plus)"

"I'm not completely sold on the CVT concept on a whole"

Armchair test drivers at their finest... You probably are still intimidated by the whole concept of fuel injection as well, what no carb under here...what gives???

CVT in these type of vehicles is a fantastic solution, what's not to like about seamless acceleration, better mileage, less parts to break, simpler in concept, that's what's getting you, it's actually simpler...
    I'm not sold on it due to a few reasons, mostly I don't have much experience with them, so I'm not anti-them, nor for them, just not sold on them yet.

As for simpler, lets see how much the repairs cost when they start hitting 100k+ miles. Also note that CVT for some reason has been dropped by most folks who had them burst onto the market in the past few years most notably the Saturn and Ford CVTs have been canned. I think only the Nissan CVT is still widely used.

-mike
    Yes, I am not against them either, but, as with ESP, they can be a drawback in the crertain situations. I saw a Freestyle get "stuck" once on a hill simply because it just could not overcome gravity. The driver put his foot to the floor at one point and the car just sat there. Score one for CVT. That might just be the Ford implementation, though, or the unit could have been defective. Cannot say for sure, but the only time I had my 4EAT do that to me I was trying to tow a 3/4 ton pickup with a pallet of bricks in the back up a steep, extremely muddy driveway. Ended up backing down and giving it another go with no further problems.

As for seamless acceleration, no thanks. I think that would just put the driver one step closer to removal from the driving experience. But, I might change my mind as I age.
This discussion has been closed.