Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Exterior Problems

gabejogabejo Member Posts: 5
edited August 2014 in Hyundai
I have an 03 Sante Fe and the washers shoot only about an inch jet of fluid. The rear washer is the same. The washer motor sounds like it is working. On the front hood you can see fluid come out of the jet holes so it would not appear to be blocked. Any ideas or is it the washer motor?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Are you seeing any residue at the bottom of the washer reservoir?

tidester, host
  • gabejogabejo Member Posts: 5
    Can't really tell, as I refilled it before this problem happened. Is there a way of blowing out the lines? Since the rear is doing the same thing I was thinking it might be a motor problem, but if gunk had stopped up the lines???
  • trebltrebl Member Posts: 5
    I posted this problem on the Hyundai newsgroup to see what the folks out there thought. I've yet to see them not figure out a problem, or at least point in the right direction. Here's one response you may want to check out:

Since the problem is the same with both the front and the rear washer, it
    > appears to be a pressure problem. I would look at the pump in the washer
    > fluid reservoir first. Make sure it is getting 12V and there is no
    > voltage
    > drop at the pump. I would find a T somewhere in the washer fluid line,
    > close to the pump and pull it so I could check for obstructions early in
    > the
    > line.
    >
    > This one really should not be all that difficult to figure out. Perhaps
    > the
    > original poster in the other forum simply never updated everyone, and has
    > really found the problem and repaired it(?).
  • gadge18gadge18 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I have a 2004 Santa Fe which has the same problem it has been back to the dealers who blew the lines, however the problem has returned and the dealership have told me that the washer bottle needs to come of and cleaned out due to gunk. it thats about 1 hour to do this as the bottle is in an akward place, and its not covered by the 5 year warranty. :cry:
  • jnjgougejnjgouge Member Posts: 1
    Not really as hard as you think. The bottle is easly accessed from the fender. Remove the mud shield (3 bolts)from inside the fender and you have clear access to the fluid bottle. The pump may be removed.
    HI,
    In reference to the mud shield, I looked in the well and am not sure where the shield joints are? The mud shield seems to be almost one piece? The fluid bottle neck juts out of a bracket of some sort so you'd have to remove it from underneath or from the well as you described.
    Found at least a temporary "fix"! Reading the other threads I decided to try to blow the lines out. I got a $5.00 can of "Dust Off" basically a can of compressed air with a long spray tube to clean electronics etc. I disconnected the fluid lines at a couple of places and inserted the spray tube in the plastic connecting fitting joining the compressor lines-it was a perfect fit. A couple of shots and bubbles came out of the washer bottle. I did the same on the rear and they work fine. I know I will need to take the bottle out to clean it, but this works in the mean time!
  • axiaxi Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of a touchup for the door or dash? My paint has slight chips (wife's ring)that show through white. It is the dark grayish black color. I contacted the dealer and he said HUH>
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    If you are referring to the actual outside paint w/clearcoat, the dealer should have in stock OEM Hyundai paint touch-up paint pens that have both clearcoat and color tips that match your cars' color. I bought one recently for a small scratch in my clearcoat on the edge of the rear pass. door. The part # is Touch-up paint 00284-02007-BF then the relevant color code.

You mention "door or dash" What do you mean by that? Dash does not have paint on the Santa Fe. Are you referring to the plastic covering? If so, you will have to get other advice on how to fix any plastic scratches.
  • axiaxi Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Thanks,I have touchup. And yes, I am referring to the plastic covering on the dash and door. any idea where can I get other advice on how to fix plastic scratches. When you scratch the plastic surface white shows through and you need some kind of flat paint to do a minor repair.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    check jcwhitney.com - they have differet interior paints - not sure if they have what you need...
  • ravenfan50ravenfan50 Member Posts: 14
    Speaking of door panels. Does anyone have a recommendation on what I should use to clean the beige interior? I am a little apprehensive on using a household cleaner. I really like the beige color, but it can get dirty really fast. Thanks.
  • jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    i uuse the cleaning wipes i get at walmart made by armor all. it does great. for my seats i use the first place fimish seat cleaner it does great to. i have a bordor collie that ride with me and some time her paws are wet and dirty just wipe off the seat with thww cloth with first place on it and it is as clean as the first time i got it.jim and sassy :D
  • butsie13butsie13 Member Posts: 7
    Hi, my name is Mary and I'm new to the board. My father-in-law purchased a 2004 Hyundai Sante Fe brand new from the dealership which currently has only 17,800 miles on the vehicle to date. Recently the UV protection on his headlamp assemblies have been pealing off. His warranty booklet only stated that the head light bulbs were only covered 3/36000 not the headlamp assembly which I figured where covered under the 5/60000. Dealership said no deal. I contacted Hyundai Corporate and they told me part #92101-26251 and #92102-26251 was covered under the 5/60000. Dealership told me that Hyundai does not know what they are talking about. Feel like I'm beating my head against a brick wall. Can anyone give me any advice or help - Sure would appreciate it!

Mary
    talk to consumer affairs - they should contact the dealership for you and set them straight - they're the boss!
    Thank you but I did talk to consumer affairs, they were the ones who told me that the headlamp assemblies were under 5/60000 mile warranty. Ask them if they could contact the dealer and they told me it was up to me to negotiate with the dealer whether they wanted to replace them or not. This burns me up. I'm having a hard time understanding if you purchase a vehicle with a warranty all dealerships should honor said warranty and Hyundai should be doing something also to back up the consumer!! :mad:
    you should make an official complaint - that is what consumer affairs is there for.... they are supposed to make sure the dealerships comply with and adhere to the warranty - all they might want to do is make sure your odometer has not been tampered with...
    Do you happen to know if there is a website I can go to for a formal complaint. I have been in telephone contact with Hyundai and that is getting old to say the least! :sick:
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Have you tried a different dealer?
    No I haven't. Would it really make a difference? I thought a warranty was a warranty and all dealerships should honor said contract!
    Well, if you have a legitimate warranty claim and one dealer is refusing to honor it, then it's quite possible that another dealer could honor it.
    Well see thats the problem. Who considers what is a legitimate warranty clain. A 2004 vehicle with on 17,800 miles on it and kept under a canopy since purchase certainly should not have UV film peeling off of the headlamp already. I have a 2000 Hyundai and don't have that problem. But the dealer said its weather related and they will not cover warranty. So I have made an appointment with a Hyundai America Corp Dealer Rep and see what they have to say.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are a couple of things you could try. One would be to complain in writing to the owner of the dealership and cc your local state's consumer protection department or AG's office, and cc Hyundai corporate while you are at it.

If there's a TV or news reporter in your area that handles consumer complaints, that would be another option. The BBB is the other thing that comes to mind off-hand.
    Thank you Steve for that advice. I did stop in to see the Service Manager yesterday afternoon and asked to see the warranty in writing. Go figure, he gave me wrong information and it was written right there in black and white. Headlamp assemblies are covered 5/60000 miles. The only exceptions would be holes, cracks or body damage. Nothing about UV protection peeling off of the headlamp. Anyway, he goes to state that it is weather related and Hyundai will not honor the warranty. Now that is where I keep getting ping-ponged. Hyundai telling me that is up to the discretion of the dealership. UGHHHHHH!! I'm calling the General Manager today and tell him what has be going on and if he can not resolve the issue for me, I'm going to write a complaint letter. Wish me luck - I'm going to need it! ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's something else for you - it's new here.

Click on this Find a Local Car Dealer link and drill down to your dealer.

Once there you'll find a link to write a review about their service.

Give them both barrels. :D
  • pinoytorontopinoytoronto Member Posts: 7
    I have been driving my 07 SF for less than a month. On my fill-up yesterday, I noticed a big chip on the inside edge of the gas door.
    Brought it back to the dealer this morning to show them. Upon seeing it, they immediately said that it was caused by closing the door with the gas cap wedged in there and, therefore, not covered by warranty (hhhmmm, do they get this complaint a lot that they immediately know the cause of it?). I am the only one who fills up the tank and have been careful in removing and placing back the gas cap (after reading the issue of Check Engine light coming on). I do not recall any instance which would have caused this chip ( a strong wind, forgot to close, nozzle slipping/hitting door).
    The dealer's estimate to replace it is approx Cdn $150 (door + paint + installation). Good thing the 'damage' is not visible when the gas door is closed, So I will just live with it in the meantime.
    I just can't believe how easily this thing breaks. Looks like it is made of plastic. So be careful with this door. Treat it gently... Handle with care
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    Maybe someone was trying to steal gas. We've had that here in my city lately.
    I thought of that too. But there are no marks outside to indicate that. And my fuel usage seems to be within reasonable range.

Not sure if this works... here are some pic:

http://www.carspace.com/pinoytoronto/Albums/Gas Door Chipped :-(/
  • davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    My guess is that it was cracked before you picked up your car, but the piece had not broken completely off at that time. I would talk to the manager of the dealership and try to nicely convince them that it was defective when you bought it. If the dealership is unwilling to replace it, I'd next contact Hyundai customer service and explain your story as you have here, including a link to your photos.

At the very least they should put a little touch up paint on it. I love your car color :D .

Dave
    2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Touring and Premium packages
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather interior
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    Off topic:

Did you purchase your Santa with the running boards or are they after market? If after market, can you tell me where you got them?
    Yeah, I'd like to know, too. They look great. Any info you can share would be great.
    The running boards were installed by the dealer but they are Santa Fe accessories. The Hyundai Canada website prices them at Cdn$715.95... "Getting in and out of your vehicle is easy with a set of durable running boards."

Never really liked the tubular steps. I think they look good on the pre-07SF but not on the 07SF. My agent mentioned that the running boards are new for the 07SF and have just been out a couple of months when I ordered my SF in May 07.

Glad I had it installed because so far, I have not really seen any aftermarket equivalent of it (at least, nothing that looks like this). Makes entry and exit a lot easier and cleaning the roof more manageable :)
  • wendolinewendoline Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe and I'm having a problem with my interior facia board rubber going soft and tacky, it leaves finger prints in it when I touch it. I had the car detailed last week and now black rubber is coming off it and onto my hands, it seems to be getting worse. Is anyone having the same problem? and Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix or maybe seal the dash facia board rubber? :cry:
    It would seem the detailers used some sort of cleaner which interacted with the rubber, especially if it wasn't a problem before you had it detailed. If it was done at a dealership etc. or other company with a customer service department, take it back and see what they can do to fix it.
  • wendolinewendoline Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your comments, the rubber has now dried and is no longer giving off rubber marks all over us. But when I inspected the rubber more closely it seems like the top layer is the problem and the rubber under neath is still hard and in tact.

I spoke to another Santa Fe owner and she informed me that her's has the same problem. It baffles us as we were both told that the sun causes it but we both garage our Santa Fe's and don't leave them in the weather. I'm guessing if I can find something to bring off the top layer and then seal the bottom layer than it will fix the problem for the future.
  • laurelionlaurelion Member Posts: 2
    could a leak in the exhaust flex pipe be causing this sensor code?
This discussion has been closed.