Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Engine swap

2»

Comments

• rangerrocketrangerrocket Member Posts: 11
    You are on the right track with how you're going about this. No need to swap out the headlight harness. Just make sure you get all the fuel system components from the donor truck. EFI systems on the older Fords operate at about 40 psi and the in tank pump and sending unit in the 88 will give you that
  • grump1grump1 Member Posts: 27
    thank you , but how much of the wire harness do i need to use...do i need to exchange the cab part or the cab part and the rear part.?

grump
    will a v-8 bolt up to a 4wheel drive trans in a 4x4 ranger :surprise: ...thanks.
  • sarend3sarend3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 83 ranger with 300,000 miles on it. Its the basic model with a short bed. The engine is an original 2.0L 4 banger. It ran great when i got the truck but the other night out of the blue the knock got really LOUD. My friends are like you should just put a newer engine in it. So here i am. What would you guys do? I live in charlotte, NC.
    What engines will fit?
    Best place to find them cheap?
    I like the 2.0 because the gas milage.
    SOME ONE PLZ HELP!
    Well , I really like the 2.3 ford engines ... I use to race them and you can make alot of power & and they are almost bullet proof & very dependable along with the gas milage ... Hell we use to beat v-8's with them in the stockcars ... The 2.3 should be a bolt right in .

Just my opinion,
    Grump
    what kind of 2.3???
    i appreciate your help big time.
    mustang , mustang II , pinto , ranger ... any ford 2.3 ... I'm in the middle of changing my 1983 4x4 ranger carburator motor -- to a 1988 ranger motor with fuel injection ... 2.3 is a great motor... if you get one from a 83 or earlyer without fuel injection , it should bolt right in or maybe just change your exhaust manifold and motor mounts.

thanks again,
    grump
    haha well that makes it a little more easy to find.
    thanks
    I believe the only differnce from the car and the truck is (maybe the oil pan ) the clutch in the car is about 8.5" and the ranger is 9" clutch size ...But you can just use the clutch , flywheel, & pressure plate from your ranger.

Good luck
    I would recommend putting in a newer 2.3L out of a Ranger. Get the dual plug head and you'll be very happy with it power and economy wise. Just get all the wiring, fuel system and the computer.
    No. You need to swap the trans to a v8 trans. Look for an M5OD out of an F150. If you're after an automatic a C4 will work just great. I have a V8 Ranger and I've built a few as well. The stick in a 4X4 is fun, but an automatic makes crawling a hell of a lot easier. The life of a ranger transmission behind a V8 could be measured in minutes (even if you found a suitable adapter). I have seen this question asked so many times it's not even funny LOL
    that might be my next change but for now i'm just going to complete the 1988 fi engine swap that i started....question how much wiring do i need to change for this change to work.?
    It's not too bad wiring wise as long as you have the harness for the new engine. If need be I can get you advanced wiring schematics for both engines. Just shoot me an email and the specs for both vehicles @ pabondy@rogers.com. I can fax them to you if you like.
  • jason47jason47 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1989 ranger with a 2.3L engine that has the duel spark plug per cylinder. It is 2 wheel drive and a 5 speed. I was curious of what all i would need to put a 302 carberated engine in it? How much would it cost? If there is any plans i could get? Do they make a conversion wiring harness?
  • nhergenroedernhergenroeder Member Posts: 1
    hey i have a 1999 ford 2wd with a 2.5 four cylinder automatic with almost 400k on it and have the chance to get a 3.0 out of a 97 ranger can anyone tell me what i need to change to get this done. thanks fellas
  • bookdoodlebookdoodle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 Ford Ranger, 5sp-std transm., a/c, 2.3 lter; my rebuilt engine is dying; it has been in the truck about 5 years but had to have a complete valve lifter replacement job after 3 years; money is very tight, so I need to find a supplier that actually does what they claim. I don't know where to go to find a reliable remanufactured or new Ford engine. I got the current rebuilt from Jaspar, but have found on the INTERNET a company claiming for much less money they can supply a rebuilt engine with a 7 year, 70,000 mile warranty. Jaspar was 3 yrs, 50,000 miles. What is a reasonable expectation for rebuilt engine life, and which supplier is the most reliable. thanks, bookdoodle
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    ATK engines is what I have always used for the past 30 years. I'm an ASE Certified Mechanic.

Here is why;

Warranty is 3 years unlimited millege.
    In the event of an engine failure, they pay a mechanic of your choice to put another engine in your vehicle. Other engine supplyers you have to pay for the mechanics labor and shipping back and forth on the engine and core.

Take the ATK online tour on why their engines last. You can also get an online quote for your engine.

Good luck!
  • phil112phil112 Member Posts: 2
    i want to put an EFI 5.7L chevy in a '99 ranger. i can deal with the wiring and electronics, but i have no way to fabricate mounts that wouldn't look like godzilla did it...does anyone know if there is a swap kit available for this application?
    They make one for the s10 , But not sure about a ranger..Every person I know with a v8 in a ranger - used a ford engine...Sorry.
  • rafaelnrafaeln Member Posts: 1
    I want to make the last adjustment... would like to mount headers on the 302, but can't seem to get around the steering column.

Anyone overcome this obstacle? The shorty' don't work. Anyone in South Florida that can make something happen?
    If you are good with a welder, just cut and re route the section that's causing trouble. Or you can get swap specific headers like Hedman 88400 or 89500's.
  • hotrodgreghotrodgreg Member Posts: 1
    I'm tryin to find out where all the plugs from the wiring harness and the brain get connected to sensors on the engine in a 1989 Ford Ranger 2.3 liter w/ 5 speed manual trans with dual spark plugs ????
  • wohrwulffwohrwulff Member Posts: 1
    i'm in a predicament...because my stock engine seems to be busted or will soon be...i have to choose one of three thing sell this one and buy new one...fix the engine or swap it...so my question is what engine can i swap my engine for?...
    the truck is a lifted '97 v6 automatic 4x4...
  • lostinmotorslostinmotors Member Posts: 1
    I have an 87 ranger 2.9 some nimrod either swapped the 2.9 with a 2.8 carb or swapped the intake to make it a carb engine. I bought a 2.9 out of an 88 and the engine harness is different. Does anyone know if they should be the same? The biggest issue is on the passenger side fender with all the vaccume solenoids. The 88 harness doesn't have those wires.
  • digrdavedigrdave Member Posts: 1
    what do i need to put a 289 in my 87 ranger i have a v6 5 speed 4x4 i will use a carburator my 289 is from a 1967 galaxie do i need a trans adapter will the oil pan work i have a 4 core rad electric fan and fuel pump the truck is stock height pls email with your reply thanks dave
  • fordrngr_rick1fordrngr_rick1 Member Posts: 2
    My '89 Ford Ranger, 4X2, Five speed manual trans, 2.9 engine has a rod knock. My original thought was to go through the trouble of putting a 302 in. However, I was informed by the Nevada DMV that it is a violation to swap an eight into a vehicle manufactured with a six cylinder engine. According to them, the fact that a 302 was installed was an automatic emissions failure
    ( with no consideration for how clean it ran.)

OK. I looked around for a good 2.9 in the salvage yards. They were all in worse shape than my engine.

Fair enough- I checked for rebuilt engines. The cost is prohibitive.

While searching the net I found a site that described a swap to a 4.0. It seems the wiring is not difficult to accomplish. Of course one has to use the computer to match the engine. There are several available locally, the price is right, and the ones I checked were in good condition.

There was some dispute as to weather the original transmission could be used. Are There any other problems I should know about?

Anyone know about this swap? Is it as straight forward as it sounds? .... And why is a 3.0 not an equally good option?

I really need help on this. Thanks in advance for your input.
    :confuse:
  • blinkythefishblinkythefish Member Posts: 1
    Hey,, Looking to swap Taurus 3.0 to ranger w/ 3.0 same year, What mods are involved?
  • fordrngr_rick1fordrngr_rick1 Member Posts: 2
    Check it out here:
    www.therangerstation.com/tech_libarary/4L_Conversion.html
  • bluestratbluestrat Member Posts: 10
    actually that is incorrect. all 2.8, 2.9, 3.0 and 4.0 blocks are the same on the outside and have exactly the same bellhousing bolt pattern.
    2.3 engines and trannys will interchange, just change wiring and intakes
    to each their own, but I never seen the point of doing something like that, regardless of the brand of choice. I fully recomend to put a Ford engine in a Ford vehicle and a Chevy engine in a Chevy vehicle.
    any 2.8, 2.9, 3.0 and 4.0 are all the same on the outside and will swap. just swap the entire intake assembly off the old engine onto the motor going in and it will work. shouldn't have to change anything else.
This discussion has been closed.