Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford News

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    But that was 80 years ago.

Right now Ford is targeted because they are the healthiest of the big 3.
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    An ad for the new Ford Focus states "...Your music. Phone contacts. The perfect temperature. Even directions to just about anywhere you need to go. Using touch controls and voice commands, SYNC with MyFord Touch provides an easy-to-use way to access your vehicle's systems with your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road." How myTouch keeps your eyes on the road is mystifying. I think all screens (whether navigation, information, or whatever) should be banned from automobiles. They all take your eyes off the road. Voice activated systems are fine. Anything you have to read is an accident waiting to happen. Sync is good. Mytouch is just the wrong way to go. Cadillac advertises that it has a screen just like your computer on its mid dash. Terrific. I don't understand why the Highway Traffic and Safety Board has not banned all displays in cars that are intended for the driver. If you have to read it, it doesn't belong. The speedometer and tach are front and center and high and actually are not useful information most of the time. You don't read them; you glance at the analog display. The introduction of elctronic displays is a major step backward in automobile safety. I also think that cell phone signals should be shorted out by the metallic shell of the car (ban the antennae) so no one can use a cell phone in a car. Ever. Stop and get out if you have some chatting to do or schedules to check up on. Cars have lethal momentum and are not a place for convenience or daydreaming. I know I am in a minority and this will never happen but there is no logical need for these displays. Cars are full of unnecessary dodads like foglights which cannot help unless your speed in less than 15 mph or you outdrive them. Spoilers are decoration in most cars. And so on. I fear that fashion has made cars less safe even as the construction and airbags, etc make the cars safer. I would like to hear an argument in favor of screens you have to read. Anyone. Bueller?
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited October 2012
    I agree that having to take your eyes off the road is too dangerous. When we were looking at a new Crossover back in April and May we liked the Edge and the MY Ford Touch seemed like a neat idea. You were able to look to the right of the speedometer to select what you wanted to control by voice only. So actually with this setup you could do most things like change the Temperature, Radio Station or make a call without moving your eyes more than you would to check your speed. We decided on a Toyota Highlander because for my wife the Ford setup was too complicated because she is Technologically challenged and it was going to be her car. For me I would have loved it. Actually the Toyota had a better ride and the interior cabin was much more quiet.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Personally, I don't really want to talk to my car, but then I think walking around talking into Bluetooth can sometimes look like someone is retarded or something. I've rented a few new Explorer's and thought that the dash was kind of an ergonomic mess. The speedometer is buried in the corner and too small with weird increments. the touch controls don't always work when you touch them - sometimes you have to punch them. Didn't try to synch them, but the blogs aren't very pretty about that function either. It did get decent mileage for its size.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Ford Motor Co. said September was its best month ever in China thanks to strong passenger car sales, particularly sales of the Focus compact car.

Ford China and its partners registered 59,570 sales in September, up 35 percent compared to last September."

Ford posts record September sales in China (Detroit News)
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    What the heck is the delay in the release of the 2013 MKZ? I give up... I will buy a Lexus ES 350... after all the hoop la and press shame on Ford. Jerry (Western MA)
  • keystonecarfankeystonecarfan Member Posts: 181
    I visited my local Ford-Lincoln dealer to pick up some 2013 brochures last week. He told me that the 2013 MKZ wouldn't be there until November.

I did see a 2013 Fusion Titanium. It's a beautiful car, but the sticker on this particular one was for $36,000!
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Just got a handwritten letter from the Ford dealership where I take my 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis saying the "Grand Marquis is in high demand as a used car" and if I'd be "interested in a new 2012 or 2013 Ford product."

Well, I can see the Grand Marquis being in high demand, especially by taxi and livery services. As for a new 2012 or 2013 Ford product, if they can show me a new 2013 Grand Marquis or Lincoln Town Car, I'll be right over!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Sorry but your Grand Marquis is not in high demand. What is in high demand are new car customers.
    edited October 2012
    The handwritten part is new and a nice touch. The pitch isn't.

Perhaps you should have traded six months ago though.

"The lack of used car supply has been sort of underlying the strength of used car prices for about three years," Kontos said. "As that supply is starting to come back … that tends to cause used car prices to level off and eventually start to decline a little bit."

Wholesale used-vehicle prices drop 2.1% (Detroit News)
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    I strongly doubt it was handwritten. Look close enough and you'll see dots from the toner or inkjet.
    edited October 2012
    "The Ford team delivered a best-ever third quarter, driven by record results in North America," said Chief Executive Alan Mulally in a statement. "While we are facing near-term challenges in Europe, we are fully committed to transforming our business."

Ford Results Show Power of U.S. Operations (WSJ)
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    First vehicle was a 35 Ford with a 48 Ford V-8, loud and fun, and for a 14 yr old new driver it was a treat..My favorite one was my 50 Ford Crestliner,outfitted with dual exhausts, dual carbs, with 3 on the column combined with overdrive..60mph-1st gear,90 in 2nd, and 3rd was 100+..We had a bunch of Fords, 47-50-51-52-53 and a 54..

Someone was talking about the 2013 Lincoln MKX, and this last Saturday a friend from Indiana was down driving a 2012 MKX AWD model which he said was getting 25mpgs @ 75mph...readout info,probably getting 22mpgs in the real world..It was a loaded car,however no sunroof,and stickered close to $50k..no value in my world..I think it was powered by the Mustang V-6, 307hp..

Lincoln has lost its way in my opinion and really searching for its niche..High price with dismal resale value..

Mulally had a hand in saving Ford during the recession and Europe is a strain on Ford's balance sheet, so the time has arrived to sweeten up the product line..Ford killed Lincoln when they dropped Mercury line causing the dealers to lose the traffic on the cheaper offerings..and dismal looking Lincoln product..

I like FoMoCo and did alot of business with them, and have a 2013 Mustang GT ordered..It's a car every senior citizen should have in their garage..
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    I agree that Lincoln has lost its way and absolutely needs better differentiation from Ford offerings, as well as to be competitive with the luxury classes.

That doesn't seem to keep people from buying them, though. I see new Lincolns quite often in my city.

Overall, though, I'm not surprised by Ford's showing lately. They are building better (and better looking) cars than they have in the last thirty years. Consumers in this economy want value, however they personally define it, and Ford is delivering in spades.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited October 2012
    "The loyalty results measure what percentage of owners an automaker retains when a vehicle is traded in or comes off lease. The results are based on registration data and cover all of an automaker's brands, Experian said.

The Ford brand was the No. 1 individual brand, with a loyalty rate of 44.7 percent during the second quarter. Ford was followed by the Toyota brand at 44.6 percent, Experian Automotive said." (autonews.com)
    edited November 2012
    Not surprising. It's a good-looking vehicle and the new kid on the block. I'm not sure if the pricing structure is comparable, but Ford is also offering some incentives, so that might make it more attractive.

In my opinion, this is a solid application of the corporate design, and I'd certainly consider it the more visually attractive of the two (vs. Prius V). I'm almost curious now how it compares to the V in terms of space usage & availability.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    In my opinion, this is a solid application of the corporate design, and I'd certainly consider it the more visually attractive of the two (vs. Prius V).

It's not even close, the Ford stomps the Prius in the looks department. Ford's recent quality woes are stretched by the ridiculously close margins in quality these days. I wouldn't hesitate a tad ta buy a new Ford C-Max Hybrid. They are ultra-cool. Really.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Nice to see we've got a nicer-looking alternative to the Prius! If gas prices really get wacky, I might even check out a C-Max. How do prices of the C-Max compare to the Prius?
    without anything else new on the matter, is it Ford's new Microsoft product, Sync, that's causing about 85% of their quality problems (the 85% is a total guess on my part!)?

I do believe that is the main issues with Ford. Also, if I recall from my latest issue of CR, the fact that Ford has 3 vehicles that are too new to rate. Fusion, Escape, and can't think of the third. Ford is still a good brand. I do know that the Explorer and Edge were not recommended because of reliability issues. I still maintain that regardless of issues Honda, Prius, Subaru, and Volt owners will never admit they have issues. When CR sends out their yearly survey to Subscribers I think these owners will not answer totally honestly. I have no proof of course, but just in talking to many people that own these vehicles they seem to have a blind loyalty to them.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited November 2012
    I still maintain that regardless of issues Honda, Prius, Subaru, and Volt owners will never admit they have issues.

I've owned many different makes and I haven't treated any of them differently on a survey from JD or CU, well except for GM, I fill out as many surveys as I can to report how bad they suck;)

My Ford Touch has been a problem for Ford and so has the dual clutch transmission in the Focus. The one guy I know that owns a '12 Focus has had the trans replaced already.
    edited November 2012
    My Ford Touch has been a problem for Ford and so has the dual clutch transmission in the Focus. The one guy I know that owns a '12 Focus has had the trans replaced already.

I would like ta think that here on Edmunds we could find truckloads of information on this in the Ford Focus threads. Eh?

Chime in, I too believe in utmost honesty when rating my vehicles. That's the only way ta treat those CR deals. Or tests.

Or reliability reports. JD Power, too. I can tell you that my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has been totally reliable and a ball ta drive. The battery I just installed set me back $101.20, but that's because the beautiful compact's battery needs 550 cold-cranking amps ta handle all of the advanced electronics on the car. Not a big deal, huh?

If I didn't know myself better I'd say I've become a Mitsubishi lifer. Of sorts.

"Ford workers angry about the automaker's plans to shutter a plant in Belgium broke windows and burned tires in a demonstration outside the company's European headquarters in Germany.

The automaker will not rule out more European capacity cuts if the auto market deteriorates further.

The situation in Europe remains "very volatile," CEO Alan Mulally said at a conference in Berlin on Wednesday."

Ford workers in Germany protest job cuts (Detroit Free Press)
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Europeans have a short temper. Something they don't like and they start riots, smash windows and burn cars and buildings. I wonder why someone choose to place auto-plants in Europe - labor is expensive and unruly and regulations do not allow any flexibility. They can smash windows and burn cars as much as they want but there is no way to stop train wreck. Sovereign defaults and austerity measures are coming and there will be more plant closures. Ford is ahead of curve and is doing tough but right thing to survive. I am not so sure about GM - they as usual kick can down the road. FIAT and Peugeot may go bankrupt if there are not government bailouts and believe national bailouts in EU are against law.
    "With car and truck sales on the rebound, all of Detroit's automakers are making money. But Ford Motor Co. is making a lot more on each vehicle it sells than its crosstown rivals do.

Ford's third-quarter operating margin in North America was 12 percent — the highest since the company began breaking out regional margins in 2000."

Ford leads rivals on profits per vehicle (Detroit News)
    "Ford is extending the warranty and offering another upgrade that enhances the voice-recognition and navigation technology on its much-criticized MyFord Touch infotainment system, Mark Fields, soon to be the automaker's chief operating officer, told reporters Wednesday at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

The warranty on the MyFord Touch system will now last for five years, up from three years. MyLincoln Touch will carry a six-year warranty, said Ford spokesman Alan Hall."

Ford to extend warranty, update software for MyFord Touch (Detroit Free Press)
    edited December 2012
    "Ford Motor Co. said Monday it posted November sales of 177,673, an increase 6 percent, with retail sales jumping 12 percent."

Ford sales up 6 (Detroit News)
    Looks like the EPA is going to investigate the C-Max and Fusion Hybrid mileage ratings.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Hybrids vary pretty wildly from CR's observed MPG typically. The EPA result isn't really designed to factor in hybrid tech. It'll be interesting to see if they get the same numbers Ford did.
    I doubt that anyone thought a hybrid could get up to 62 mph before the gas motor kicked in when they designed the EPA test.
    How about it Fezo?

"Ford claims its Transit Connect will deliver at least 5 m.p.g. better fuel economy on the highway (30 m.p.g. or better) than a Ram C/V Cargo Van while the wagon makes the same claim over a 7-seat Toyota Sienna minivan. Payload is an estimated 1,600 pounds."

Ford unveils redesign of Transit, Transit Connect (Detroit Free Press)
    President George W. Bush's 2009 Ford F-150 To Cross Auction Block

"Proceeds from the sale of the truck will benefit the Fisher House Foundation, which donates "comfort homes" built on the grounds of major military and VA medical centers."

Hopefully it'll bring way more than TMV. :shades:
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Well, I am officially out of the minivan biz (though one as an extra car would be useful) but I sure hope a redesigned Transit Connect is better than the current one. When I was stuck in NYC for three months and had to take cabs everywhere I had the misfortune to ride in a Transit Connect. After the experience I made a point to not flag down another!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited December 2012
    With your Windstall luck, I wondered if you even bothered with this discussion and would see my missive. Hoping the news is that Ford is going under? :D
    I'm curious to see how the Connect actually performs. If it delivers over 30 highway in the real world with that 1.6 ecoboost, and isn't a total dog, I might loosely ponder it with the wife. I sure would like to see them plunk a small turbo diesel in there that returns about 40. I'd be all over that. It'd be my Fiesta with 5x (or more?) the space!
    "Ford added 6,500 hourly jobs this year with new shifts at Michigan assembly in Wayne (1,200 jobs), Chicago (1,200), Louisville, Ky., (3,100) and Kansas City, Mo., (800), for a 15% increase in output."

Ford investing $773 million in 6 Michigan plants, adding 2,350 jobs (Detroit Free Press)
    "Ford announced today it is doubling the dividends it pays shareholders to 10 cents per share, surprising the investment community and pushing up the stock price."

Ford doubles dividend to 10 cents; stock goes up (Detroit Free Press)

The Ford family will get a nice bump from the dividend too.
  • joeyrabjoeyrab Member Posts: 65
    Say what you want about Consumer Reports. When I was young I thought Toyota and Honda paid them off. Now that I am older, I see they were correct about everything. 2012 Auto issue has Toyota taking the top 3 spots in 3 different catagories. Of course that includes Scion and Lexus. Ford however fell from a top 10 spot to 2nd to last. Now I have a theory that I wonder if anyone else believes. When the government bailed out GM and Chrysler, Ford didn't take any money, (from what I understood), so the perception was, they were ok, so people took a "let's buy from them" attitude...thing is they really weren't any better. It was all smoke and mirrors. Now after selling more cars than thay have in recent years, people are not satisfied and realizing that the cars really aren't "that great".
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited January 2013
    My experience with Ford's replicates yours. I don't see much quality difference between Ford and GM despite all the Ford hype about quality being job #1. Particularly after the warranty expires.
    "According to Polk Automotive, which tracks registration data for vehicles, the Ford brand had the highest loyalty rate of any brand among consumers in 2012. Polk has been handing out a loyalty award for 17 years. The firm’s data is the best means of tracking consumer behavior because it can tell which households have vehicles from a certain brand and which ones continue to stay in the brand after a new vehicle is purchased.

Ford’s loyalty rate for the brand is 61%. For Ford Motor Co., which includes Lincoln, it is 62%. The industry average is 48%."

Taglines May Help After All: Ford Ranks Highest in Customer Loyalty (Wall St. Journal)
  • lauramay80lauramay80 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 2010 Ford Fusion SE. Can anyone tell me how the reliability of these cars are, does anyone own an older own that may have some insight? I want to know if this car is going to last me many years to come. Thanks!
    I think 2010 is a good year for the Fusion. My brother bought a new 2010 Fusion sport and he's yet to have an issue with it.

Of course there are no guarantees, but I'd think a 2010 Fusion SE would be a fairly safe bet.
    Overall reliability looks to have gotten better starting in '08. We don't have Identifix data after '09 unfortunately, but the historical trend is good.
    I have a 2009 SEL V6 which isn't a direct comparison since the 2010 was pretty much a redesign and a new engine and I believe transmission. I know that Consumer Reports rates the 2009 very high in reliability and also since I have owned it from day 1, which was late October of 2008, I know that it is a great car. Though I am chomping at the bit for a new Fusion or an Optima SX. Promised my wife that I would run it for 8 years since we just bought a new 2012 Highlander Limited AWD back in May of 2012. Got about 4 years left if I can hold out. I do like the looks of the 2010 through 2012 Fusion. I don't think I have seen one 2013 Fusion outside a dealers lot yet.
    edited January 2013
    "Strong North American profits will net record profit sharing checks of $8,300 on average for 45,800 hourly workers, to be paid March 14.

Ford reported its highest fourth-quarter pre-tax profit since the same period in 1999 at $1.7 billion or 31 cents per share, beating analyst expectations of 25 cents per share. Net income for the quarter was $1.6 billion despite losses in Europe of $732 million.

Bob Shanks, chief financial officer, had warned that Ford would lose more than $1.5 billion in Europe in 2012 and the year ended with a $1.8 billion loss in the region marked by economic upheaval and high unemployment."

Ford earns $1.6 billion net in 4Q (Detroit Free Press)

Ford worldwide pension deficit jumps to $18.7 billion (Detroit News)
    Overall good news. Pensions are always a risk, especially with companies like these that were practically giving away the farm with their pension packages back in the automotive heydays.

About all there is left to do in some cases is hope the retirees die relatively young. :sick:
    edited January 2013
    There's a joke here somewhere about most of the retirees being stuck in Detroit, but I'll let that one slide. :P

The stock market isn't liking the EU news I guess, but it seems like stock movements in general are often in the opposite direction of the news.