Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sedans with V8s under $40K

luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
edited April 2014 in Buick
This discussion includes the Buick Lucerne, Chevy Impala, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Pontiac Grand Prix which all can come with V8s and have a sticker price under $40K.

Comments

• luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria (base): MSRP $24,620: Hp 224 @ 4800 rpm
    2007 Mercury Grand Marquis GS: MSRP $24,910: Hp 224 @ 4800 rpm
    2007 Chevy Impala SS: MSRP $27,970: Hp 303 @ 5600
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP: MSRP $28,745: Hp 303 @ 5600
    2007 Dodge Charger R/T: MSRP $30,215: Hp 340 @ 5000
    2007 Buick Lucerne CXL: MSRP $30,685: Hp 275 @ 6000
    2007 Chrysler 300 C: MSRP $34,385: Hp 340 @ 5000
    2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8: MSRP $35,320: Hp 425 @ 6000
    2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8 MPG: 14/20
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria (base): 17/25
    2007 Mercury Grand Marquis GS: 17/25
    2007 Buick Lucerne CXL: 17/25
    2007 Chrysler 300 C: 17/25
    2007 Dodge Charger R/T: 17/25
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP: 18/27
    2007 Chevy Impala SS: 18/28
    My take on these sedans is the Ford and Mercury are sadly out dated.

The Buick is starting to be out dated by cars like the Toyota Avalon.

The Charger and the 300 is really the same car underneath with little difference except for price making the Charger the better choice.

Also the Chevy and the Pontiac share the same engine. The Pontiac has a smaller interior and more expensive than the Chevy. Being that's the case I would go with the Impala. Also out of all these cars the Pontiac has the worst Government crash tests.

The Charger SRT-8, I think, is the most original and the worst gas guzzling out of the group. Too bad this sedan didn't come out 20 years ago. It would have had a great run.

Even though it has front wheel drive, I think the best choice would be the Chevy Impala. It isn't the fastest but it does have over 300 Hp and does return the best gas mileage. Also it has high crash scores and has a roomy interior and trunk. Not to mention has a more reasonable price.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Why is the Avalon even being mentioned in a V-8 discussion? Even mentioning it comparing to the Buick will get everyone all riled up just like it did in the other thread for large sedans for $30,000. We really don't need to read through another Lucerne vs. Avalon nightmare as fans of both are not going to change their minds and never let things die! PLEASE let's agree to only discuss V-8 sedans under $40,000!!!!!
    I mentioned the Avalon because technology is catching up to the Buick's V8 by a V6 like the Toyotas. The numbers don't lie. I just think if the Buick is going to compete with the other V8 engines they better find a better engine. Am I wrong?

If I'm spending that kind of money, I would want to get my moneys worth and maybe that's the answer. Maybe if Buick is unwilling to change the engine, it should lower the price of the car!

Now let me just say that I'm only comparing the engine because that is what this discussion is mainly about, the engine.
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    Your the one that set this up for V8 only yet your breaking your own rule for this discussion,I think you should stick with the title of the discussion,so A car with A V6 should not be on this board.I'm not trying to start trouble,but this is about V8s.Hardhawk,I agree with you.
    How about comparing the Impala and the Lucerne?

Impala has more Hp, better gas mileage, weighs less, a smaller turning circle, 40-60 folding rear seats, cloth seats, and has 8 way adj driver seat .

Lucerne comes with self leveling suspension, optional stability control, leather seats, rain sensing front wipers, 6 way adj driver seat, only rear center arm rest pass thru, rear heat vents, 2 driver seat memorized settings, electrochromatic driver's outside mirror, cornering lights, optional parking assist, automatic climate control, and slightly better warranty.

Lucerne does have more goodies but costs almost 3 grand more. Also Edmunds Editors' gave the 2006 Lucerne CXL V8 an overall rating of 7.2. This is what the Editors had to say,"Power is seriously lacking from this V8, and interior appointments do little to improve its overall perceived value. Average."

No Editors' rating on the 2006 Impala SS, but a Full Test by Edmunds John Pearly Huffman, Contributor says," What is important is how it(Impala) stacks up against the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry and most directly the rear powered, Hemi-Charger R/T." Also,"In the age of the $29,000 V6 Camry, we think that makes the SS a good value."
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Hey - Thanks for setting up this thread. I'm considering a V8 sedan for my next purchase (likely a used '07 this fall).

I'd like to hear from anyone on the Impala SS vs. Lucerne V8. Is the Impala much louder inside? Does the Buick "Quiet Tuning" really make much difference? I drove an '07 LaCrosse CXS and it wasn't much different than my '04 Malibu (sound & power).

What about the Buick Northstar vs. the 5.3L in the SS? Real world mileage much different?

Thoughts and opinions are welcome. ;)
    Thanks for the info. The power comment about the Lucerne really surprises me. I'll have to look that up. Any comments about interior noise? I do like a quiet car. At least on the inside!
    Now that I think about it with these sedans why would you want the V8? Obviously for the power which the Lucerne is lacking.
    From Editors' rating of 2006 Lucerne:
    Wind noise scored 9 out of 10. Comment:This is a quiet car.

Road noise scored 8 out of 10. Comment:Cabin is serene at any speed.

In the article about the Impala, Huffman states, "But it(Impala) rides better(than the Charger R/T), is slightly quieter and is completely confident in everyday use."
    Under your own specs you show the Crown Vic and Marquis has
    less power then the Lucerne.I'm not A GM fan but the Lucerne
    looks like the best Buick in A long time,and 275HP is not bad.
    and 275HP is not bad

I'll have to drive one - but I feel the same way. 275HP is more than enough and if I go for the Buick, I gotta have the V8.

The Impala is much quicker but in quietness and NVH, it's got to be a touch less refined.

Anybody with driving experience in both?
  • martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    We bought an Impala SS 5 months ago and, with 5,000 miles notched up, I can honestly say I have not had one ounce of buyer's remorse. The ride is confident, quiet and smooth and we are more than pleased with all the 'surprise & delight' features it carries. Why, only the other day, I discovered the lights come on after the wipers have been switched on. I don't recall seeing that in the manual. For sure, 303hp is much more than adequate but one does not have to use all that and that sweet V8 burble is always a delight.

As for the Buick, well, I'm 65 and I don't think I'm old enough to consider one of those for a few years yet!
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I'm had my '06 SS for a little over a year now. I agree with everything Martin22 says but I will add one criticism. After riding/driving my sister's Impala LT, I noticed her car rides and handles better, most likely due to the lighter-weight engine.

As for the niceties, I'll add the high beams are awesome since all four headlamps are used. It's the best night vision I've had since my buddy's '81 Impala. There's nothing like four headlamps.

For those asking about real world mileage, I track mine religiously. The best I've gotten is 26 mpg at speeds between 65 - 70 mph. Once you get up to 75 or more, mileage drops off quickly because the DOD won't engage at the higher speeds.

Wind noise is modest but after 16,000 miles, the tires seem to be getting a bit noisy. I attribute that to the low profile 50 series tires and the fact that they are Goodyear...not a big fan.

Any other questions? :)
    Here is a list of 6 cylinders with over 250 Hp and costs considerably less than the Lucerne:

2007 Toyota Camry LE 3.5L 268Hp MSRP $24,160
    2007 Saturn Aura XR 3.6L 252Hp MSRP $24,595
    2007 Nissan Altima SE 3.5L 270Hp MSRP $25,115
    2007 Hyundai Azera SE 3.8L 263Hp MSRP $25,195
    2007 Pontiac G6 GTP 3.6L 252Hp MSRP $25,230
    2007 Dodge Charger Base AWD 3.5L 250Hp MSRP $26,040
    2007 Toyota Avalon XL 3.5L 268Hp MSRP $27,495
    2007 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart 3.8L 258Hp MSRP $27,624
    2007 Nissan Maxima SE 3.5L 255Hp MSRP $28,665

2007 Buick Lucerne CXL V8 4.6L 275Hp MSRP $31,435

All MSRPs include Destination charge ONLY.

Why would you buy a vehicle with a V8 when you could save a few thousand dollars buying any of the V6s above? The difference in horses is small and you get better gas mileage. Notice there are 2 under $25K! :surprise:

Why buy a V8 unless the difference in power is considerably higher like by 50 horses?

I might add that the Lucerne has a rebate of $1,250 till end of Feb. and the Maxima has a rebate of $1,500 till end of Jan. at least in my area(N.Y.).
    All the V6s get better gas mileage except for the 2007 Dodge Charger AWD (17 city/24 highway) and the Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart (18 city/27 highway) with premium recommended but they are less expensive.
    Thats fine you put up the list.but this is for V8 only site.If someone wants to buy a Lucerne let them,its not you buying it.And the Lucerne is a lot less then the 40k.You should of just set up this site for cars under 40k,then you could talk about the V6s,but you put in V8.
    The Charger without the AWD and 3.5 is rated 19/27.
    Thanks for the input. One question about seat comfort. It felt like the Impala LT rental I drove had less under thigh support than my Malibu. The seat cushion seemed shorter in this area. I only drove it one day, but I was not as comfortable as in my 'Bu.

Any comments on Impala seat comfort?
  • allargonallargon Member Posts: 75
    Not everyone wants a noisy V6! Yes, I know some V6's produce more power than many V8's. Some are less noisy than other. However, there is something nice about low-rev torque and power and being quicker at the stop light. The V6 may be quicker in the 1/4 mile or 0-60 but I truly don't mind a big V8. (The domestics and the Europeans just need to remember how to build V8's that don't leak oil like a sieve! :sick: )

I'm not 60! I'm 34.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Let's compare torque and RPM numbers - horsepower only really matters above 4,000 rpm, which I don't think I've ever been north of in my old outdated Grand Marquis.

Let's stick to V-8's - the V-6 automobiles are all rather interchangable.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria: 272 lbs-ft @ 4000 rpms
    2007 Mercury Grand Marquis: 275 lbs-ft @ 4000 rpms
    2007 Buick Lucerne: 295 lbs-ft @ 4400 rpms
    2007 Chevy Impala: 323 lbs-ft @ 4400 rpms
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix: 323 lbs-ft @ 4400 rpms
    2007 Dodge Charger R/T: 390 lbs-ft @ 4000 rpms
    2007 Chrysler 300 C: 390 lbs-ft @ 4000 rpms
    2007 Dodge Charger SRT-8: 420 lbs-ft @ 4800 rpms
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    ... this discussion will be revived once the Pontiac G8 GT V8 arrives....
    Sometime next year....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Just wish it had the Overhead Cam engine like the Cad instead of the old VIH that came out in 1949! Kettering was fine then, but today's standards are beyond VIH engines.
  • brit5brit5 Member Posts: 12
    A bunch of time has passed since euphorium's post but I just noticed it. VIH means valve-in-head -- every modern engine has it's valves in the heads. I think he is referring to OHV -- overhead valve -- a descriptor generally applied to pushrod engines with -- guess what -- valves in head, as opposed to side valves.

Chrysler deliberately designed & engineered a brand new version of their famous
    herispherical combustion chamber OHV engine as a marketing gambit. The valve train layout is not a drawback at all, being every bit as effective for street use as a 2-valve OHC (overhead cam) design & rivals 3 & 4-valve OHC engines in perfortmance.

Chrysler's 3rd generation HEMI V8 is a thoroughly modern, lightweight, low internal friction, low emission, high output engine. It easily outperforms 2-valve OHC competitors (& similar Chrysler stable mates) in every single performance parameter, including specific fuel consumption. It is even cheaper to build than a similar sized high-output OHC V8 (or Chrysler's own old 5.9L OHV V8).

For Chrysler it is a marketing triumph, not only blowing the doors off the competition performance wise, but re-establishing the iconic HEMI name in the modern world.

I briefly had a 426 street Hemi Roadrunner in my youth -- it was fast, furious & totally uncivilised. The modern engine is a pure silk purse in comparison to that massively heavy & fuel gobbling old brute, while being every bit as powerfull on substantially less displacement. Don't pine for another cookie-cutter OHC engine -- this one is the real deal.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I stand corrected. Thank you. :)
  • jgarryjgarry Member Posts: 3
    I have a 300C Hemi, I must say, more than $10K off puts it in Accord pricing territory, cylinder deactivation for highway cruising, sunroof, leather, nav, Hemi (well, not really, but they call it that) power for the yee-haw times. Could handle better, could have more power (I come from ZR1-land, so you could say that about anything, and I couldn't see paying another 10K for SRT for daily highway pounding). Overall, I've had better cars, but they were much more expensive, I'm pretty happy right now after 2800 miles.

;)
  • murphy4murphy4 Member Posts: 92
    low price and lowest financing.............how low will they go. I have 800 credit.........i want best of both worlds...........
This discussion has been closed.