Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Diesel Engine Rebuild

bloeffbloeff Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Hi everybody,
I'm a new member and look forward to getting to know you all and pick your brains!! I'm rebuilding a 78 Mercedes 300D engine and have spent a lot of time on the internet trying to find a complete engine and camshaft/valve rebuild kit, but haven't come up with much! Could anyone direct me to a web site that might be helpful
Thanks,
bloeff

Comments

• Options
    blackdayzblackdayz Member Posts: 16
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me if a 1968 volvo B18B engine is internally or externally balanced?
  • Options
    tomcat63tomcat63 Member Posts: 82
    Physical rules are valid for all engines, no matter what make they are. You can´t make a difference between internal or external balancing. Balancing doesn´t mean anything else but equalizing centrifugal forces that appear whenever a body is rotating at high revs or changing direction of movement at high frequence. In case of a conventional piston engine we are talking about crankshaft, flywheel and piston/pistonrod assy. Rotation of crankshaft and flywheel are causing centrifugal forces of first degree (radial), which need to be balanced apart from each other (like e.g. a drivewheel in a tire shop). The fast up-and-down movement of the pistons and rods is causing forces of second degree (vertical) which in general are fairly compensated by 2 pistons moving up and 2 moving down simultaneously (with your 4-banger). Important is that all pistons and rods have exactly the same weight! In some engines (especially 1-cylinders) you´ll find an additional balancershaft rotating opposite direction to the crankshaft in order to eleminate those forces of second degree. You see, it´s a complex system where all relevant components have to be taken into consideration! Hope I could help and Good Luck with your Volvo. Regards from Germany...! tomcat63
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    As one who's worked on B18 and B20 Volvo engines, the engine is internally balanced. I recently rebuilt my B20B, and took the engine's rotating masses (crank, flywheel, etc.) to a shop for balancing. Each piston was matched so that their weights were within 1 gram tolerance.

Did it make much difference between the original build from the factory in my 1970 144S? Not much, but it's not a smooth 4-cylinder OHV engine in the first place. The most significant change made to improve the smoothness at idle was to change carbuetion. I went with a downdraft Weber, and moved away from the SU or Stromberg carbs.
  • Options
    If your still looking I think I might be able to help you. Email me at RuVryKrazy@hotmail.com.
    I have some web sites and some parts company's online that could help..Also some salvage yards..There are some in my area but i live in fl.
  • Options
    thank you so very much..I have been killing myself try'n to come up with a harminic balancer.With no luck what so ever (LOL) I thought it might be internally balanced after I seen there were no weights on flywheel......thanks again
  • Options
    dazed71dazed71 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in rebuilding my 350 into a 302 and need some tips on that or some ideas a another good engine to build thanks for the help
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You found the diesel rebuild discussion. You will probably get a better response in our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification Board

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    debosedebose Member Posts: 8
    i have a 1968 ford mustang with a 302. i rebuit the engine about six years and put less than 5 thousand miles on it. its been sitting for five of those six years due to some personal issues. do i need to rebuild again?
  • Options
    with all the horse power thats available in crate motors these days would it be a good investment. or would it be better to rebuild and add more horse power little by little. i want to stick with the 302. i read in a magazine that they have smallblock fords with between 3 and 5 hundred horsepower. what are the vantages or disadvantages and if its the crate motor witch company do you recomend
  • Options
    Since you're in the Diesels forum, you're not going to get much help here... head over to the Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification Board and you'll find plenty of assistance for your 302!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    i have a chance to buy a set of used hooker headers for 75$ for my 1968 ford mustang with a 302, but im running a stock cam. will the headers make a difference in horse power or should i stay with the stock manifold? bare in mind im just a cruiser not a racer but i do like cheap horsepower.
  • Options
    See post 12... you're back in the Diesels forum again.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • Options
    roland3roland3 Member Posts: 431
    ... All in-line four cylinder engines that I know of are not in that category. Internal or external refers to weight on the counter-weights of the crank. Some engines, for various reasons can't quite get enough weight on the crank ends, so are externally balanced with offset weight in either or both the flywheel and or the front dampener. This is usually obvious with a quick look at a usually large cast lump/boss in the flywheel or dampener. This has nothing to do with separate balance shafts, that many fours and sixes have.
This discussion has been closed.