Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    It's been a couple of days now with the deflector off. It is noticeably quieter and I don't splat as many bugs so there's less cleaning to do.
  • sandydee1sandydee1 Member Posts: 26
    It just happened last week at 6500 miles and after 6 months of ownership. Has anyone else had this happen? The dealer looked at it today and determined that the radio was bad and needed replacing. It was ordered and should be here next week.
    The '08 Avalon Ltd. is supposed to have 12 speakers with the JBL audio system. I can only find 10: 1 in the center of the dash, 1 ea. on the 2 front posts, 1 ea. on the 2 front doors, 2 ea. on the 2 rear doors, and 1 in the center of the rear deck. Where are the other 2? Someone on another post mentioned 3 on the rear deck but I don't see them.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    The other two are to the left and right of the subwoofer on the rear deck. They are hidden pretty well but are there. Also, I think they may only be active if the "surround" setting is switched on.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I looked again. There's nothing that's obviously a speaker showing. There are 3 black boxes (3.5x3x4) but they're in positions that don't suggest they're speakers. The speakers must be small (flat) and between the rear deck cloth and the metal frame underneath in the trunk where the sunshade is hidden.
  • doug3030doug3030 Member Posts: 20
    Have an '08 Avalon Limited...Noticed when I turn to bright headlites, they have very limited reach out front. Is this normal ? Came close to wearing a deer last week because they did not pick it up until I was almost too close. Low beams are good....auto leveling, but the brites really suck....
  • amauhryamauhry Member Posts: 55
    tfelton, this link should clear your concerns and provide you with a clear picture of what you own. Enjoy it.

http://www.toyotajbl.com/audio_advantages.asp

Amaury
    '08 Limited
    Excellent. Thank you.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Rumor mill has it the Toyota Avalon will disappear from Toyota's line up after model year 2009. Rumored replacement is to be an extended wheelbase Camry. Probably based on the Toyota Aurion sold overseas. Stay tuned.....
    Mack :shades:
    Info for Avalon owners; I found the electrical outlets in my '08 Avalon very difficult to use due their location inside the tranny console...solution: I bought a 3 outlet unit from Walmart which attaches easily w/dbl sided tape to the drivers side of the console w/the power cord easily plugged into the outlet inside the console. Cost is only $9.94 and now allows use of radar detector, phone chgr, etc, w/o alot of digging and frustration.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    This may be partially an illusion, since you have the HID low beams. The high beam bulbs will not be as bright as the low beams, since the high beams are halogen, although they should point straight and farther ahead. Have not heard other complaints.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    mackabee my old friend, how have you been? Still working at a dealership?

I heard that rumor here about 2 weeks ago. My plan had been to wait for the 2010 model and then trade in my 05 for 1 of those. Once I heard the rumor I upped my plan into buying an 09 in about 6 months.

I wound up at Younger Toyota in Hagerstown, Md last Tuesday just to look at colors, blue mirage and silver, to get an idea of which I preferred. Turns out they had a managers demo with 6,800 miles for sale. A fully loaded LTD in silver. I bought it for 1714 under invoice, or 31,100.

So now I'm on my 3rd and probably last Avalon. I had bought my 05 the 3rd day they were out, Feb. of 05.
  • loesshillloesshill Member Posts: 3
    It's a puzzle to me! there are three spring clamps at the front and side that are easily released, however at the rear there are what appear to be plastic (hinges?) I can't determine how to release them. Could someone please elucidate me in the proper procedure for the removal of the filter lid?

Thanks,
    Ray
  • 49364936 Member Posts: 15
    Hi: I have a 2007 LTD, and I changed the engine air filter and the cabin filter @17,000 miles. The cabin filter was really dirty but the Engine filter was IMO not dirty enough, but I did. I bought them at Auto Zone for $26.00 approx. That said, I opened the 3 clips and loosened the clamp on housing, removed the large rubber intake hose, pulled all the small vacuum hoes off, held the housing (forcefully) out of way, and got enough clearance to replace the filter. Hope this helps you.
    4936:
    That's what I did however doing so made me nervous, (had the rear retainers broke $ for new air box). I also would have liked to vacuum out the air box.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Still looking for proper procedure for removing engine air filter cover from '08 Avalon!

Ray
  • mlinggamlingga Member Posts: 60
    Hi. Have an '08 which has about 16K miles on it. Was one of the first '08's "off the boat" when I bought it. Was a bit nervous about buying one of the first cars with the new 6 speed auto transmission, and I may have been justified.

Transmission in mine slips when shifting. Usually during the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts under light throttle. Not every time, but happens on a daily basis. Usually the "slip" (a surge in rpm until the tranny engages the next higher gear) is a few hundred rpm, but once in a while it's much more dramatic--really a case of getting caught in neutral for upwards of a second or so.

I've asked the dealer to look at it twice. First time they could not reproduce the problem. Second time they said there was a new service bulletin which involved erasing the memory, allowing the tranny to "relearn" my driving style. Problem persists.

Searching this forum showed one possibly similar case from "Arthur" in February, but his problem apparently resolved spontaneously. I believe there were some issues with the 5 speed which were in some cases fixed by "reflashing" but not aware if that applies to the '08 6 speed. If it does, what's the protocol for reflashing?

Anyone else experienced this, or better yet, anyone had the problem and had it fixed?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It appears that Toyota continues to struggle with adapting, "fixing" their new method of providing hydraulic line pressure. This new design was initially developed for the RX300 and then migrated to other Toyota and Lexus FWD and F/AWD products before the realization came that the new design was problematic..

It appears that Toyota is still struggling with finding the "sweet spot(s)" wherein the CORRECT line pressure is available according to the up/down shift requirements of the moment and under the myriad of varying conditions.

And it isn't YOUR driving style the engine/transaxle will need to "relearn" after the memory erasure, but the line pressure control solenoids PWM duty cycle for controlling the exacting line pressure for all of the conditions/situations.

And that's going to take more than 2 or 3 drive cycles, it will likely take more than 500 miles.

But the problem may very well be that the gear type ATF pump that Toyota is using does not have enough volume/flow capacity to provide the QUICK change in line pressure required at certain times and situations.

Time, and the ECU "relearning" process, will tell.

My guess will be that on your next trip to the dealer they will be changing out at least one of the line pressure control solenoids.

Ford solved this very same problem, seemingly, by adopting a variable displacement ATF pump.
    wwest: Can't tell you how much I appreciate input from someone who knows what they are talking about. I will print this out and bring to the dealer next time in my ongoing battle to get this worked out.

In the meantime, here's my question: how damaging over the long run is this "loose" shifting for the transmission? Am I causing accelerated wear or risking early failure as long as this continues?

And if I read you correctly, if the problem persists past the 500 mile mark, then I may be in for a battle and replacement of solenoids. Since few other '08 owners seem to be complaining, I'm hoping it is a fixable problem, not something intrinsic to this transmission.

Thanks.
    Yes, I would expect accelerated clutch wear under the circumstances you stated but then it apparently only occurs under light throttle....

Slippage in other than 3-4 upshifts would indicate your situation is unique compared to the more common "failure" complaints being posted so I would suspect a sticking/sticking line pressure control solenoid.

Has it done this for the entire 16,000 miles or is it a more recent development??
  • burlburl Member Posts: 40
    I picked up my 08 in August had some probl;ems at about 4000 miles Went to dealer Yadaa Yadaa
    yadda............WENT UP THE LADDER AT tOYOTA MAIN OFFICE SAME THING
    Now have 9000 miles on it
    I drive it hard
    but not enough to hurt it
    So....here's the deal
    Heard it on this forum I don't think any one had actually tried it

You can 0 your computer by disconecting the battery
    I did and it worked well for anoyher 3000 miles...
    did it again and it is still doing well
    It never went back to the original factory settings (which I though were perfect)
    But It certainly made a positive difference
    and I can't see where it can hurt anything
    even though we should'nt have to do it Any body else tried this........It worked .Kind of
    GOOD LUCK
    Burl
    Burl: thanks for the tip. Don't think I'm yet at the point where I have the guts to do that but it may be my last gasp if the dealer fails to help.

wwest: it's been true almost, if not the entire time I've had it. I can't remember clearly enough the very early weeks I spent driving it well enough to be sure. After having read your prior post, I have been obsessively watching the shifts, as I'm about 800 miles out from the last service, and I think there may be an improvement--seems like the rpm blip is now more in the 100-200 rev range, rather than previously when 300-500 rpm surges were more common. But...it's an intermittent problem so I'll keep watching.

While the 3-4 shift is the most commonly affected I am confident that other shifts, mainly the 2-3, also slip. If this problem persists, I will print out your posts and take it to my dealer next time (sign of the times when you get better service online than from the dealer!). Thanks again, it is truly appreciated.
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Member Posts: 28
    My parents purchased on 08 Avalon XL in April. They do not drive very much and only now have 1,700 miles on it. Twice during this period, the battery has died. They replaced the first one saying it had a dead cell. After the second time, they have said everything checks out normal, that they are no driving it enough. They drove it a good bit on Tuesday and only a 2 mile trip on Friday. The following Sunday it was dead. I do know that the car is using juice at all times and will eventually after an extended period of time will drain the battery of juice. What we do not understand is that only a couple of days draining the battery completely. My parents are in their middle to late 70s. They were told by the service department to keep a trickle battery charger on the unit. I am in my 50s and that would be more work than I would expect to be doing.

They bought the Toyota after having a 1995 Town Car for 13 years. They are very upset with the Avalon not being very reliable. They expect a car to start every time and so do I. Especially after only sitting for a few days. I am wondering if anyone else has had this occur. I do understand that if their is an intermittent problem that did not occur when we had it in the shop, they will be at a loss to determine the problem.
    Something may be wrong here... my '06 XLS has sat in the airport parking lot for 7 -10 days on multiple occasions and never had a problem. This may be a long shot..... however, do they keep the car in a garage? If so, do they leave the key in the ignition? If it has the anti theft "chip" key I believe just leaving the key in the ignition lock energizes the system causing a draw.

Just returned from a 4500 mile trip to Upper Michigan. My 2008 Avalon Limited gave me 33 MPG cruising under 80 MPH using fuel without ethanol. Upon our return trip to Florida I could not locate ANY fuel without ethanol and my mileage dropped to 26-29 MPG. So much for ethanol.....
    BS
    @10% ethanol I have seen no decrease in fuel economy. Also if your driving at 70/75 mph there is no way your getting 33mph!
    Again BS
    2008 Avalon Limited. I drive 42 miles to/from work every day. Using the in dash "computer" fuel economy gauge, averaging between 70 and 75 mph on interstate, I can definitely get 32 to 32.5 mpg. Have not crossreferenced the mpg reading vs actual gallons consumed but suspect it's in the ballpark. So, not BS.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I've gotten 33 mpg in my '06 Limited on several trips. I have yet to get that mileage in my '08 Limited however.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    The current generation Avalon can hit 30+ mpg if driven in the right speed range on the highway. This is nothing new as my '99 XL could do it and actually did it a lot more often than my '07 Limited has to date.

Using a blended fuel with ethanol, say 10%, will reduce mileage by about 2%, maybe a little more, if you follow the textbook analysis of fuel composition. Any additional drop is due to different driving, math error or other factors. The load the vehicle carries makes little difference on a long trip unless you are the mountains. Speed is a critical factor as air resistance is exponential.

Always remember that Avalon odometers tend to be off by about 3% short so adjust all mileage calculations upward to compensate. Check the odo with the interstate mile markers when you get a chance, see if your car is off...mine is... Enjoy the Avy, all.. great value... :)
    "BS
    10% ethanol I have seen no decrease in fuel economy. Also if your driving at 70/75 mph there is no way your getting 33mph!
    Again BS "

You must be a graduate of the "How to make friends and influence people" leadership course. ;)
    Since the new LS with a V8 seems to easily get 28 MPG at hwy speeds I see no reason the Avalon's V6, especially with DFI couldn't acheive 33 MPG. If the current Avalon doesn't have the GS's DFI V6 engine, 12:1 compression ratio, then expect reports of 35-36 once it does.
  • burlburl Member Posts: 40
    The quickest easiest and cheapest way to increase/decrease mileage or acceleration is to change the gear ratios
    When Toyota went to the 6 speed trans it allowed them to make a better choice of gear ratio and still keep the trans shifting smoothly using a lower ratio for 1st gear for better acceleration and a very tall gear in 6th for better mileage

1800 rpm at 69 mph is only 1000rpm over idling no wonder it gives great mileage

Try this just for fun !
    Set the cruse control at 69 as you are getting ready to go up an incline. the trans will shift back into 5th or 4th gear depending on how steep it is............NOW.... turn on the AC.....
    And you wonder where your gas goes? LOLOL
  • dfurnierdfurnier Member Posts: 26
    We picked up ours in May. Recently took a 3000 mi trip and averaged almost 32mpg (based on my calculations) with a fairly heavy load at about 65-70mph. The car consistently claimed 33-35.

I prefer to use 100% gasoline as a personal protest, but it is very hard to find, at least as regular. (I believe ethanol is a terrible waste of tax dollars, raises food prices, etc.)
    "..change the gear ratios..."

Well, yes, and...no....

If you have a CVT, Continuously Variable Transmission then regardless of road speed the engine can ALWAYS be made to operate at the lowest possible RPM, lowest frictional component, most optimal FE, wherein it just barely produces enough torque to move the car along at the desired speed and road conditions.

So it is the engine's low RPM torque production capability that is the real determining factor for constant speed cruising on the hwy.
    "I prefer to use 100% gasoline as a personal protest, but it is very hard to find, at least as regular. (I believe ethanol is a terrible waste of tax dollars, raises food prices, etc.) "

I agree with you there. I read somewhere that it costs more to make the ethanol than the benefit if any we get from it.
  • tkevinc1tkevinc1 Member Posts: 30
    On a recent business trip to FL I tracked my mileage doing both a calculation as well as taking the number provided by the car. I drove the first 230 miles on a highway with a 65 mph limit and a full tank. The car said 32.1. I stopped for lunch and filled back up. The calculation was 32.3. I drove the next 280 miles on I-95 between 70 and 80 mph. The car indicated 33.8 and the calculation was 33.2. Both fill ups were with 10% ethanol as clearly labeled on the pump. Not only did the car get 32 mpg+ on 10% ethanol but contrary to popular logic it got better mileage above 70 mph. Go figure.
    Go figure: The variation in mpg is due to something other than the fuel. Alcohol has less heat energy than gasoline per pound so mileage must be reduced when pump gas is diluted with ethanol. This is basic carbon chemistry and has nothing to do with the car or the trip. Also, a vehicle travelling at a higher speed uses significantly more energy (based on the standard ABC power formula) to maintain that speed. The difference between 60 and 65 mph is about 25% so going to 75 is... wow..... The point here is that actual mpg can be difficult to determine due to a variety of factors such as putting gas in a tank and thinking it's full, odometer error, etc.

But at 32+ mpg... that's great! Who cares about exact speed or fuel composition... :)
  • geo123geo123 Member Posts: 33
    Mack,

Any more thoughts on the replacement of the Avalon? Maybe in 2010? It seems that the 2009 will be like the 2008 except the VSC will be standard from looking at some of the SE dealers inventory.

Thanks,

George
    Just to jump in here with my 2 cents;, a couple of months ago we drove to Utah in an '08 Avalon Ltd. I did a test. From Hot Springs, AR to Shawnee, OK (just east of OK City) I did the speed limit (75 on I40 in OK) and coming back from El Reno, OK (just west of OK City) to Hot Springs, AR, I did 5 miles under the speed limit. Neither way was there any traffic to speak of. I got better mileage at the speed limit: 31.3 vs 30.8 at 5 miles below. Of course this is very unscientific and there are a lot of variables and I don't know if I was using anything with ethanol; all though, in Hot Springs it was Valero and in El Reno it was Murphy (Wal-Mart). As far as the overall trip is concerned we drove for 10 days, 4 days of which was city driving and 2 days of mountain driving in CO. That gave us an overall of 29.8 mpg. Also, when I fill up I squeeze in as much as I can.
  • aus1aus1 Member Posts: 20
    After reading the posted mileage, I feel pretty good. On a recent 290 mi trip at 60mph with no a/c, I got 37 mpg.
    Haven't heard anymore on it. As soon as I find something out I'll let you guys know.
    :shades:

PS, we are keeping the Solara convertible. The hardtop is gone after 08.
    Mack.. is the Solara getting the 3.5?

• rdearmorerdearmore Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a near new 08 XLS... One of my key fobs has two buttons missing..anyone had that problem and where can I find just the buttons, covers, what ever you want to call them?
  • davidb4775davidb4775 Member Posts: 3
    If its a new car, seems it might be covered under warranty. Obviously, there is a defect.
  • dfurnierdfurnier Member Posts: 26
    " Also, when I fill up I squeeze in as much as I can."
    I believe squeezing in more is not a good idea. It heats up, expands, and leaks out. That's something I learned many years ago. Don't know if it's still true.

"it got better mileage above 70 mph"
    Not sure, but it seemed to me, that we got better mileage at 70ish than we did at lower speeds.

"I read somewhere that it costs more to make the ethanol than the benefit if any we get from it"
    According to Popular Science, at best it's 1 unit of energy in to generate 1.1 units out.
  • pappydsppappydsp Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Avalon and replaced the airfilter and cabin filter yesterday. The air filter can be a little tricky. I wouldn't attempt it without complete removal of the top of the air box as the paper filament may tear if you attempt to squeeze it in between the top and bottom halves.
    The following procedure worked for me:
    Remove the 3 vacuum tubes on the front of the box, disconnect the sensor wire from the top of the box by simply pulling it off and away. Loosen the phillips screw on the hose clamp that connects the top of the filter box to the air intake and push the 4 inch intake hose away from the top of the filter box. Unclip the 3 retaining clips by pulling the ring up from the bottom. There are two hinge type connections at the rear of the air box. Lift up the airbox top from the front and carefully unhinge the back from the bottom of the box by applying slight downward pressure as you are lifting the front portion. The top of the air filter box should then come off. The filter itself may be inside the top of bottom of the box. Simply remove it and discard it.
    I replaced my old filter with a puroator #A45650. With the top of the air fliter box off, you can clean out the debris in the bottom of the air filter box, and wipe away loose dirt from the top and bottom halves. Place the new filter into the top of the air filter box and seat it SNUGGLY inside. Now reseat the air box top on the rear bottom hinge joints and lower the top down fully. Now fasten the 3 spring clips. If the clips do not fasten, do not force them. Re-check to make sure that the filter is seated properly and that the hinges are secure in the rear. You should not be able to see any of the filter showing between the bottom and top sections when the top and bottom halves are together. The filter is triangular shaped on the 2007 and can only be seated in the filter box one way. Continue reassembling in the order that you disassembled it. If you are worried about the vacuum tubes being replaced correctly, use tape and mark them before you take it apart.
  • ldmldm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 avalon limited; have been having a terrible time w/the inside of the windshield......gets filmy/streaks within 2 days of cleaning.....looks like someone smokes a pack a day in this car..... dealer has been no help...what's going on?
    Its outgassing from the materials inside the car. Every Toyota (and a few others) I have ever owned has done it. It is usually worse in the summer than in the winter due to the heat buildup. Search for the term "outgassing" in the 2005-2006 Avalon forums, it was discussed before.

My '07 Limited did this also for about the first 90 days. Most of them do it. The answer was posted here in one of these forums by several members. Yes, it goes away by itself, this "outgassing" of chemicals... makes ya' wonder how much of this stuff we breathe... :confuse:
    Fin,

My '06 Avalon still does it to this day. Not as bad, but there is always a film on the interior windows a few days after cleaning,

Some (most..??) of the chemicals you "clean/polish" with have outgassing substances of their own.