Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• mumble88mumble88 Member Posts: 9
    I got my wife a new Avalon for her bday. It was nice and all and at the same time i also wanted to keep it clean for her. So I purchased a car cover from carscover.com to keep her car clean but she's telling me that it will scratch her paint. Will it really damage her paint????
  • targetmojo10targetmojo10 Member Posts: 8
    Shouldn't be a problem...but what about when she is driving? I highly recommend a clear bra system, such as 3M paint protection film. I had it professionally applied to my 2008 Limited immediately and have been very, very pleased.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Yes.

Any small bit of sand or dirt under the cover and.....
  • flygirl2flygirl2 Member Posts: 1
    Yep, I was playing in a "Rally for a Cure" breast cancer awareness golf tournament and the 2nd to the last hole was a par 3 144 yard hole! The first hole in one on that hole won the car and I did it!! And to top it off the car I had was a 2000 Dodge Intrepid with 160,000 miles on it. I also have a Yamaha Scooter for around town. The day before I won the Avalon my husband was online and found out my $2500 scooter was worth more than the Intrepid so I really needed this car! I would never have spent the money for a new car, let alone an Avalon! It is beautiful and drives like a dream! I love it! ;)
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Well congratulations! And I'm sure you'll enjoy the Avalon.
  • TheHopperTheHopper Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2008 Toyota Avalon XLS. It did not come with floor mats so I am hoping for some suggestions of what to get and where to buy? I was thinking of the WeatherTeck Car liner as some colleagues have raved about them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, the car just came with one manual (valet) key. I am hoping someone can point me to the best place to get a keyless remote for the Avalon. Not interested in paying alot as I just am looking to get in without using a key as well as locking it.

Thanks ...
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    Check Ebay motors. They usually have the factory mats available at a lower cost than the dealer. As for the remote, in '08 the Avalon went to the integrated key/remote. They may not be available on Ebay (the stand alone remotes are) and since you only have a Valet key you may need to go to the dealer for one. The valet key will not lock the glove box.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Hi. What did you get for responses to your question? I'm in the same boat as you.

Skip
    The info I received was REPLY #469. I did order WeatherTech floor liners but they have not arrived yet. Still waiting on the keyless remote since I was supposed to get two at the auction. Hopefully, they will show up soon.
    I just received two keyless remotes for my 2008 Toyota Avalon. I followed the programming instructions as instructed on "programyourremote.com". The car did go into successful programming mode but would not successful execute the last step which was for programming the actual remote(s). Anybody have similiar experiences or suggestions? The directions listed were for a 2007 but I was told they are the same and the remotes were the correct ones. Thanks ...
  • joeblack1joeblack1 Member Posts: 52
    I'm considering purchasing a new or 06 or later Avalon. I want the JBL sound system and XM radio. It is easy to tell when they have the JBL radio. It is usually advertised as having it, or you can see in the picture of the radio. However, on used models, is there any way to figure out if it is equipped for XM radio? Did they even come with this option? From some of the research I did it looked like you could add it for 700.00 parts and labor. Given the unique shape of the radio, it seems like it would be difficult for an aftermarket place to do anything to it at all.
    Try looking for the antenna on/near the trunk.

• tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    I have an '08 with XM Radio and 3 times now within the last couple of months the audio will fade in an out and then go dead. The information for the station, song, etc. is still displayed. I can fix this by stopping the car and restarting it. FM and AM will work while this is happening.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Buy the avalon you want, ignoring the radio which can be purchased aftermarket and generally a substantial improvement over ANY OEM radio. Beancounters, you know.

Ambient NOISE in an automobile while underway is typically ABOVE 70db, and that's the figure for a Lexus. Enjoy your home system and forget about any reasonable level of high fidelity in ANY automobile, it just ain't gonna happen..!
    Buy the avalon you want, ignoring the radio which can be purchased aftermarket and generally a substantial improvement over ANY OEM radio. Beancounters, you know.

That is what I was hoping to hear. My concern though is how would this all integrate in an Avlalon. Where would the display go? Could you still keep the steering wheel controls working? Could I keep standard radio control buttons that match the rest of the Interior? And, if I could add some IPOD integration as a bonus, that would be nice. Would it make more sense to talk to a Best Buy type place, or go to a shop that specializes in this?
    replacing the radio in the Avalon is a nightmare. You have to relocate the head unit to the trunk so that the display still works for the other functions. From there I would have to think you have to get/ (make?) a harness to tap into the factory amps. Honestly, just find one with the JBL, get a peripheral electronics IPOD interface and call it done. I do not believe you can have SAT and the IPOD together but most aftermarket SAT receivers have FM modulators that work OK.

• mlinggamlingga Member Posts: 60
    Not sure about prior years but the '08 comes with an auxiliary minijack outlet in the console that allows you to plug your iPod in directly to the JBL sound system. Works great for audiobooks, my main use.

I have been quoted $550 by my local dealer to install the factory XM tuner which I did not get initially. Don't know if that means you lose the Aux jack for iPod though.
    The 05 through 07 year Avalons didn't have an Ipod jack from the factory. If you wanted it you had to go aftermarket (like I did). I see no reason why you would lose the AUX jack on your '08 if you add factory XM. With the older models I am pretty sure adding the interface for Ipod uses the same port as the factory XM.

• fool1717fool1717 Member Posts: 8
    You are not alone. The same thing has happened to me 3 or 4 times in the 5 months I've had my Avalon.
    To be used in Maine / New England? What have folks found they like and why?

I'm looking at the Bridgestone Blizzak, any thoughts on these? I had Dunlop Graspics on the Camry and they seemed to work fine.

Didn't know but the Avalon being a bit larger and heavier, if there might be a tire most folks buy.

Skip
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    i would look at nokians . i have them now and they really hold the road in the winter. you know a finnish tire will be good in the winter with all the snow they get in finland.
    I just returned from a trip to Utah from Arkansas (cruising in my Avalon) and ran into a situation I have never encountered in decades of driving and using credit cards. I stopped a a Shell station on the way home in Gallup, NM, and when I put my Shell card in the pump it asked for my Zip Code. I put it in and it was rejected. The station said that was because I wasn't local. I went a half mile down the road and got gas without a problem at another station. The same thing happened at a Pilot station in Amarillo, TX, however, this time my Zip was OK.

As I said, I have never encountered this before and was wondering how common this is in other parts of the country.

Ted
    Pretty common in our area (Georgia). Surprised it was rejected though: my understanding was that the zip is matched against your billing zip code as an additional security measure, not to somehow prevent "foreigners" from getting gas!
    About two or three years ago this zip code requirement popped up around here. I have never been refused but I have recieved calls from the security dept if I suddenlly "pop up" in a remote area and use my card.
    The USPS changed our zip code and for awhile the new one wouldn't "pass" and I had to still use the old one to get approval.
    I was told that each business can set it up how they want, and some don't want to deal with payment issues from out of state folks.

My CC processing company told me it was against the law, but that with no checks and balances in place, folks will be able to get away with this kind of stuff for some time to come.

As pointed out, folks will need to remember, they are asking for the billing address zip code.

My office is in one city, yet I live in another - 2 different zip codes, and if you don't get it right within the first few tries, I was told it may lock you out?

Skip
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Thanks to all for these comments. Being retired we travel and visit, mostly the SE states. Credit card is the only way we pay for gas. Never had this happen but the advance warning is nice. Again, thanks.... :)
    Just as a side note I emailed Shell Oil and they sent the following reply: "Our review indicates your experience occurred at one of our independently owned and operated locations. Please be assured that we have formally recorded your feedback and the appropriate party will be notified."

Next time I'm in Gallup I'll see if things have changed.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Not really related directly to this story, but kind of a side bar that some of you might find interesting. A few months back my wife stopped at our neighborhood Exxon station to fill up.. she used her speed pass ( little wand like instrument that turns on the pump and records your purchase to your account - basically the same thing as a credit card ). Anyway she fills up her tank and then drives home.. 10 minutes later there's a deputy sheriff ringing our doorbell saying that the clerk at the exxon station had taken my wife's license number down and reported her for driving off without paying for her gas... Well my wife, now furious and embarassed, is led to the police car where he takes her back to the gas station - where upon the clerk inside the store i.d.'s my wife as the "thief" ( her words ) who stole the gas. My wife asked the clerk if she was in the habit of leaving the pumps "on".. of course she said no the pump was not on, so then my wife asks her, "if the pump was not on, and I didn't use my speed pass or credit card, how the hell was I able to get the pump on and fill up my car? With that, the Sheriff's deputy said this is ridiculous and returns my wife home with an apology for bothering her. When I heard about it I saw red!!! Couldn't believe it, asked my wife to go back down to the station with me and point out the person who accused her of stealing gas, but she said she was so mad she couldn't remember who it was... However from her description I had an idea of who it was ( since we buy our gas there all the time ). Next time I got gas, I used my speedpass and then before driving off, went inside ( while this clerk was working ) and asked them if my speed pass had gone thru... He then proceeds to tell me "when you use your speed pass" you don't have to come in the store...That's what I was waiting for because I then said well my wife used her speed pass in her a day or so before and whoever the crack head &%#&^(&% ( cant really use that language here ) was on duty tried to have my wife arrested, and I just wanted to make sure that same %$&^# wasn't on duty today... The look on his face was priceless... He was shakin....I sent exxon an email and about 3 weeks later she got a call from that stations' distributor where one of the managers apologized to my wife.. That's really all she wanted was an apology. She was embarassed that neighbors saw her being put in a squad car and then driven away... thank goodness he didn't cuff her. By the way, we don't buy our gas there anymore.....that's my story... sorry it took so long....

Roland
    I have a Speed Pass and this experience of your wife's is a good reminder to be careful. It's no longer like 'the good old days' when you handed cash to the attendant who filled your tank. A receipt might have solved the problem right away. You can go to the Exxon/Mobil web site and set up your Speed Pass to always give a receipt.
    Ever since I bought an '87 Taurus I've used Mobil 1 synthetic oil and I change my own oil, etc. I've also been very regular with regards to changing the oil and filter about every 7,500 miles. However, I just read recently where you're better off changing the filter a couple of intervals, topping off the oil but not changing the oil. For example: changing the oil, then change the filter at 6,000; change the filter again at 12,000; and then change the oil and filter at 18,000. The reasoning is the it has been show there is more wear on the motor with fresh synthetic than with broken-in synthetic. I've sort of tried this with my '08 Avalon. This last Christmas we took a 3,000 trip to see family. I didn't need to change the oil yet, but would have half way through the trip so I simply changed the filter before I left. My Avalon has 16,000+ miles on it.

This is a long way of asking if anyone else has tried this system or read about it. Of course finding out if it's good or bad takes thousands of miles and then how do you know it was the oil that did in the motor. I have a '98 Sienna with 210,000+ miles on it and the motor still runs smooth and gets good mileage. With that car I changed oil and filter about every 7,500 miles.

One note, synthetic is a lot cheaper than it used to be so this isn't a question about saving money but is about doing the best for the car.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    tfelton....Like you I have used Mobil 1 synthetic for a number of years. I have not heard or read about the system you discussed of changing the filter and oil on different intervels. If I'm understanding you correctly that means that you would basically be changing your oil ever 12K correct? Well Mobil 1's extended life Synthetic is supposed to be good for 15,000 miles. But here again I think when you change your oil is also dependent on your driving conditions. I still change mine ( oil and filter ) every 5 k. but that's because the manufacturer calls for oil changes every 5,000 miles and since the warranty is still in effect I don't want to give them any "outs" if something were to go wrong... but I'm pretty sure once the warranty expires, I'll be changing my oil and filter every 7500 miles.. going 12 K seems like pushing it to me... however your talking to an old schooler where we learned to change oil and filter ever 3,000. miles.

Roland
    tfelton:
    Can you document the statement that "there is more wear on the motor with fresh synthetic than with broken-in synthetic?" This sounds totally illogical, and strikes me as likely another example of the urban myths that have grown around synthetics (i.e. "synthetic oils do not allow an engine to break in correctly" and "synthetic oils don't contain zinc additives so bearings wear out faster"--both of which are nonsense).

How an oil would become better with wear is unclear to me. Happy to be taught otherwise though, so I'd love to see your source of information.
    Does the 2008 come with XM and Bluetooth?
    I think if you get the upgraded JBL sound system on the 2009 it includes both, but not sure about the 2008.

I'm also curious about VSC. I believe this is included on the 2009 but an option on the 2008? If so, is there a package that it generally comes with? Just trying to find an easy way to identify cars with these options as I'm shopping for used if I can get one with these options.
  • Mike0853Mike0853 Member Posts: 3
    I just took my '08 Avalon Limited in for service with same complaint about text button. I compared with FM stations in my wife's '05 Sienna, she was getting text, but I wasn't on the same stations. Service department invoice states my complaint as "Text on radio is not appearing for name of station." Their response is "Could not find any abnormal condition." I don't think anyone at my dealer's place understands how the text button works, because no one in sales or service ever said it doesn't work with FM like previous Toyota radios. Now that I look at the owner's manual more closely, the only places it talks about the text button is in sections about the XM radio and CD, so I'm assuming now it only works in those modes.
  • pasqvincpasqvinc Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2008 Avalon XLS without navigation at the end of December. The JBL radio (upgrade) does have bluetooth and is XM capable - you still have to subscribe to it.

VSC is now standard on the 2009 but is available on the 2008 as a stand alone option. Most of the XLS/Limited models that I looked at came with it anyway.

The option packages usually include the 8 way power passenger seat with heated front seats, or the memory mirrors/drivers seat which also includes the heated seats, although you may still be able to get the heated seats without the two mentioned upgrades - depends on what is available in your area. Hope this helps.
    Yes, that helped a lot. Thanks! It sounds like if I want bluetooth and XM, then I should be looking at 2008 or better.
  • doug3030doug3030 Member Posts: 20
    My cousin is a chemical engineer for one of the big 3 auto makers and when I called him about the synthetic getting better with age, he stated that they performed many tests on cars using all types of oils and NO WAY do oils get better as they age. They found synthetic protects better from day one and continue to protect and lubricate best between recommended changes.I guess this explains why the vehicles I've owned over the years have gone at least 100k and some over 200k w/no significant oil consumption between changes.
    I guess what it boils down to, is change your oil regularly, no matter what you use for oil, and you'll get plenty of miles from your vehicle.

I used regular oil in my Park AVenues and got 331,000 on one of them, AND it didn't burn any oil still.

My other Park avenue's both had high miles (but I got rid of them for the Avalon:)

Skip
  • jpm1908jpm1908 Member Posts: 17
    A Toyota dealership mechanic told me and he said that one can get away with every 10K when using synthetic. I was wondering if the Avalon warrantee stipulated the frequency of synthetic oil changes.

Regards-Jamie
    Or so it seems.

When my 2008 Avalon is cold, and I first drive off, there is a clicking / grinding sound that seems to come from the left front corner. Much like if the CV joint was bad?

The car has 3,500 miles on it.

The noise is MUCH worst when taking off and turning left right from the start. So I start the car up, and turn hard left under acceleration and it makes the noise.

The noise or frequency is less after about 10 - 20 minutes. If I park the car long enough for the parts / car to cool down, it happens each time.

The car also seems to be shifting or not, much more during this time. I have on occasion been going down a very slight incline and had the car almost stop when I let up off of the gas pedal. It's like the car is in low gear when I do this, even if I'm going 25 - 35 MPH.

The car was in last week for this, and at that time they said they has to re-set the VCS sensor?

All pretty weird, and folks had this happen to them?

Is there something I should tell me dealer?

I'm guessing the worst that can happen is it gets worst, and the dealer can then figure out what's wrong?

I say this, because they didn't hear anything yesterday when I dropped the car off, for them to check out.

I'm thinking I'll need to leave it there over night for them to hear and maybe figure out what's wrong.

Skip
  • aus1aus1 Member Posts: 20
    I also have an 08 but have not experienced this issue.

Definitely leave it over night at the dealer.
    Hi. Yeah I'm going to, as the noise(s) from under the car are getting worst and more frequent:(

Skip
  • jpm1908jpm1908 Member Posts: 17
    The noise that I get (it seems when it is cold) is a popping sound that seems to come from where the windshield meets the dashboard on the drivers side.

Jamie
    Brake light switch always on.....
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    I don't know about the grinding noise, but on the transmission issue, the Avalon does have some issues. My cousin has a 2005 Avalon Limited, and the transmission does occasionally has to be 're-flashed' they call it. Sometimes the transmission will do a weird shift, or seems to get stuck, only for a couple of seconds. I personally think Toyota should have addressed this problem before they keep sticking this flawed transmission into their cars.
  • tkevinc1tkevinc1 Member Posts: 30
    Not defending Toyota but the transmission in the 2008 is a new 6speed and is completely different than the 2005. I owned both and the difference in driveability is amazing. However, Toyota apparently not properly address an issue around the junction of the steering box and column. There were "bad welds" but this is more likely a design issues. They had to replace the steering box in my 2005 due to the very same clicking/grinding sound described here. There was even a TSB. You might want to ask them to check this.
    Well hopefully I find out today.

I just dropped it off, for the 3rd time. The first 2 times they said they couldn't find anything. On my way to the dealership, I heard it 8 times, including once turning into the parking lot. I had them take a ride with me, right then, and we turned left twice. Once out of the parking lot, and once back into the parking lot (all in the span of 50 yards) - it made the noise both times, and more then loud enough to hear. He said "Well I heard it, you are not crazy". "This will make it easier to figure out".

Here's hoping.

Skip
    "...new 6speed...."

But with the very same 1-2 second transaxle downshift delay/hesitation according to the description for the (same..??) new 6 speed in the 2010 RX350.

The problem arose from Toyota's adoption of "real-time" ATF line pressure control along with "abolition" of the ATF line pressure accumulator back late in the last century. With no accumulator and the engine at idle or nearly so the ATF pump can not be relied upon to supply quick "make-up" line pressure, say when two sequential gear changes are required in QUICK succession.

Ford is using the same FE improving technique but with a variable displacement ATF pump so "high" pump volumes/pressures can still be attained with the engine idling but virtually nil at high engine RPM.