Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

nnnnnpatelnnnnnpatel Member Posts: 27
I little premature to talk about 2008 Avalons, but any ideas what new thing might show up on these models.

np

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    They better put in Bluetooth and an I-pod jack. A friend just bought a Camry that was 4K less than my Avalon and it has both. Also think its time for a general "spruce up" maybe some new wheels, front grille ETC.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• nnnnnpatelnnnnnpatel Member Posts: 27
    It would nice if they upgrade the engine power, it seems like the camry can keep up with Avalon

nick
  • kirkkempenkirkkempen Member Posts: 14
    I hope that in 2008, they finally do something with the transmission. It's silly that the Camry offers a more sophisticated tranny than the Avalon.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    You had better be careful what you wish for. Have you checked the Camry boards lately? Lots of complaints about flare and hesitation with the sophisticated six speed transmission.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    although it would seem likely that Toyota would get our HP a little closer to 300, I guess my question would be 'so what if the Camry will outrun an Avalon' it is a smaller and lighter car, the SE Camry a car with some sporting pretensions, the Avalon everything but...
  • rastaman1rastaman1 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know about you guys but I would like to see 2008 Avalon have more luxury wood on the front dash broad and along the auto gear column and on the steering wheel.

Whats with all the crappy retro plastic/silver/grey looking appearance, it looks really cheap!

Now, I would suggest that if the Think Tank of Toyota's designers were attempting to appeal/attract car buyer's in the 28-35 year old crowed by installing all the grey-silver color in the Dash area--well great.

However, how could Toyota just condensendingly (sp) assume that the baby boomer crowed would not miss the luxury wood interior once installed on the last generation of the Avalon.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Hmmm. Interestingly. I bought an 02 Avalon along time ago now, new, and doesn't have any wood on the dash. I did not want wood on the dash. Is it really wood, veneer or faux???IMO, the only cars that wood looks correct on are the old Rolls Royces and Jags, which ofcourse was real wood. Even my buddy 04 BMW looks ridiculous with the wood on the dash.

Put the money in the quality parts that made Toyotas name for itself. You ask any mechanic now if the new Toyotas are as maintenance free as the old ones and we will get an overwhelming answer.

It is what is inside that counts.

abfisch
    Or aleast 3rd party options should be available for us to change to trim. I love cherry wood interior, it gives it the taste of richness.

nick
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    rastaman1... I agree.. like you I personally did not care for the silver/grey color tone either.. Also, I wasn't all that crazy about the "honey" colored wood look that is in alot of the current avalons. I have an 07 xls and it just happened to be the only one on the lot that had the "dark" wood applique on the dash and around the gear shift.. from a personal standpoint that was my favorite.. I wish the gear shift handle and steering wheel had the wood applique, but unfortunetly they are both leather wrapped, which is fine with me.

Roland
  • rastaman1rastaman1 Member Posts: 2
    Roland and Nick,

I agree, It would be really nice to see Toyota return to the Cherry Wood interior. The Camary and Avalon owners/customers should at least let their preferences known to Toyota.

Toyota is such a major player in the car industry now, with record sales, it really doesn't have to listen to preference of the customer's who would like to see a return to a luxury appearance of havig a Cherrywood interior.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    My question is whether any of the Avalon's trim is really wood? Or is it metal or plastic that has been given the appearance of wood? Some comments here refer to "wood applique". The strips on the dash and doors feel like tin plating to me, and the "wood" on the LTD's steering wheel & gear shift knob feels like it might be a plastic composite. A good enough imitation, but it doesn't seem to me that genuine wood has been used anywhere in the Avalon. True?
    it is plastic 'wood' or FTM plastic 'aluminum' - the Lexus models will kill a few trees.
  • ernieelsfanernieelsfan Member Posts: 1
    two suggestions for the 2008 Avalon. I am proud to be driving an 07 Avalon, but I wish it had a radio mute button and folding exterior mirrors.
    Many Japanese cars do not have a mute button for the sound system, but if there were one on the steering wheel hub, it would be handy.
    I live in a small city with narrow streets and friends have had their cars mirrors peeled off by careless drivers so the folding type would be great.
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    IVE BEEN ASKING FOR THAT SINCE i SHEARED OFF A MIRROR ON A 96 CAMRY. THEY DON'T HEAR US
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    Just press and hold the volume button on the steering wheel
    :P
    I am not sure if many people know this but if you hold down the "mode" button on the steering wheel, the stereo will power off. That is what I do if I get a phone call, much faster than waiting for the volume to lower.

• tinsoldiertinsoldier Member Posts: 1
    I guess I'm getting really lazy, but I wonder why when I hit the Memory Seat button after my wife has driven my 06 Avalon Limited, I have to reach up and adjust the rear view mirror. Wouldn't it be nice if that mirror too would adjust to my pre-set location? Also, needed is Bluetooth and rear parking assists.
  • gl1800gl1800 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for an AWD sedan. Are there any rumors of an AWD Avalon?
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Hi tjc,

I also hold down the "mode" button on the steering wheel to power off the stereo, but this takes a full couple of seconds; not always possible while steering. And then it takes a while to re-start a CD. I agree that a MUTE button would be good. Even the Scion Xa, for 1/3 the cost, includes a Mute button.

havalong
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    In addition to cumulative FE since last fillup, I'd like to have user selectable options for instantaneous FE and resettable trip FE, independent from timing of fillups.

I expect to keep my 2005 Av for 4-5 more years, so model year 2011-12 would work for me. But, might as well provide it in 2008, this will give some time to iron out any wrinkles.

Thanks! ;)
  • bigpaul35bigpaul35 Member Posts: 7
    I would like to see bluetooth as well. Heated rear seats would be nice since you feel bad for the kids on those cold winter days when your tail is warm and they are complaining.

I think that a smoother shifting, less quirky transmission would be nice in 08.
    maybe the thing that I wouldn't like to see in the 08 - an updated 6 speed tranny as in the Camry or ES.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    If Honda can give away an XM radio free trial with the EX, Toyota can give it away with the Avalon. And standard Bluetooth, even though I no personal need for it. The fuel screens on the NAV need a major improvement as they are almost worthless.

Larger seat bottoms would be nice (back to the '03 seat width and depth) and a little work on the transmission to make it like the LS 460 - 8 forward gears - slick as glass.

Well...we can dream....... :)
    athough I know of no reported problems with the 8 speed in the LS, I can't imagine that, given Toyota/Lexus' recent drivability issues with auto trannies, the 8 speed would be any better than the current 5 speed. The only thing I could see it adding is some additional repair costs. As far as Toyota is concerned, history would seem to indicate that LESS is BETTER, and the engine is such that it doesn't need the extra gears?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    All things considered with the Avalons, less seems to be a lot better. You're right. In reality, there simply must be a way to fix this 5 speed transmission to act as the old 4 speeds did... smoooothe. It can't be that hard, can it? CE's and EE's can redo anything at the speed of light. Be optimistic that Toyota will resolve this issue slowly and it will ultimately become a non-event. They have 5 months till the '08 is due...
    Be optimistic that Toyota will resolve this issue slowly and it will ultimately become a non-event
    remembering that the 6 speed is continuing to create more problems with Camry and ES owners than I think the 5 speed ever created with the Avalon? I believe the 6 speed is destined for the 08 Avalon if for no other reason than mfrg. efficiencies...
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Fin:

I have to agree with you again. The 4 speed, while antiquated somewhat has never given me any problems. The only complaint that I could possibly give is that OD gear is long, and when driving around a city or 45MPH area, it will hunt, excessively for me. soo. I just push the OD off button and cut out the 4th gear. Other than that, the shifts at 88K are still smooth, especially if you let off on the accelerator slightly at the shift points. If you push the car, you obviously can feel the shifts more.

All in all though, no problems, and have changed the fluid twice and filter once in 88K. Sometimes less is more.

abfisch
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I agree completely, the second generation Avalon interior was (is) classy with the faux wood trim. If they can duplicate that on the 2008 or the next generation Toyota would have have that market segment (50+) to itself.
  • cdreiercdreier Member Posts: 9
    For me to buy it'll need 2 things: 1) Ipod connection port and 2) Bluetooth. It's so strange that the Avalon doesn't offer these 21st centry "musts".
    not so sure - would bet that VSC becomes standard on the 08 - which sounds unrelated except that you have to have all the silly DBW stuff for the VSC to work...
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Sorry, the DBW has absolutely nothing to do with VSC. My 2001 AWD RX300 has VSC/Trac/etc, with a SOLID cable between the gas pedal and throttle butterfly.

Toyota adopted the DBW system to "protect the drive train", delay the onset of engine accelerating torque until a sequential downshift, following a full lift-throttle upshift, would be completed before the onset of engine torque rising.

Not that other uses aren't made of DBW now that its there.
    indirectly wwest, I'll contend it does - how else can these mfgrs. provide VSC to the consumers (and governmental agencies) that want it - without electronic (and computer)control of the accelerator, brakes, tranny etc., a contention you seem to later acknowledge in your post. What came first 'the chicken or the egg' now that I don't know.
    Maybe you're confusing VSC functionality with TC, Traction Control functionality. With TC on a FWD if a wheel begins to slip/spin due to engine torque both front brakes will be applied moderately and at the same time the engine will be dethrottled. On a RWD engine dethrottling may be delayed to give the driver time to "feather" the throttle in reaction to the wheelspin/slip. Prior to DBW engine dethrottling was accomplished via fuel cut through the injectors.

The brakes are used mostly for implementation of VSC functionality. Outside front brake for overstearing and inside rear brake for understearing. I suppose dethrottling the engine, especially with understearing, might be helpful, but again that can be accomplished via fuel cut.

Obviously with DBW available it would be best to cut both intake airflow and fuel.
    no confusion, to use something a little more Biblical - one 'begets' the other, once those DBW systems in place it is amazing how these computer nerds can screw up a car, what I don't understand is why the consumer even wants them?
    "..why the consumer even wants them..."

My 2001 Porsche 911/996 C4 has DBW and I have absolutely no complaints.

The real problem is that Toyota/Lexus adopted the DBW system as a fix, solution, for another problem that seemingly could not be solved otherwise. They adopted the automatic transaxle upshift technique back at the beginning of the RX production run and that resulted in premature transaxle failures for those models.

But the most obvious solution would have been to redesign the transaxle with a variable displacement ATF oil pump as Ford has done but that really is a major redesign whereas adopting the DBW system is relatively simple.

And then asking those computer nerds to throw in a 2-3 second throttle opening delay while the transaxle is downshifting to the more appropreate gear ratios is another simple matter.
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    Acetylene headlights metamorphosed to electricity, sealed beams, halogen, HID versions; brakes from two-wheel, contracting, to four-wheel expanding, front-disk/rear-drum, all-wheel disk; aircraft from fabric to aluminum, titanium, fly-by-wire.
    Without such progress, the possibility of a 270-horsepower, two-ton vehicle travelling above 70mph while attaining over 30 mpg, would be unlikely. It seems clear that most consumers prefer the fruits of invention. The decades-old Crown Victoria design is being remaindered while its maker flounders toward the future with too little, too late. Some stumbles by manufacturers trying too much or too soon are less likely to be fatal to the organization.
    no argument here, I drive a wonderful 05 Av Touring, get 27 mpg overall, and still have power that rivals most of those 60-70s 'muscle cars'. It is somewhat contradictory, loving those parts of this technology that serve my purpose, and loathing that part that doesn't.
    The real problem is that Toyota/Lexus adopted the DBW system as a fix, solution, for another problem that seemingly could not be solved otherwise
    you're sure that is not more like - hey, these 'safety' systems sell like hotcakes, the government will be requiring them shortly anyway, so let's put in the DBW and then, we can address things like TS and engine braking issues more easily? Chicken or the egg.
    Nissans were selling just fine at the time of the RX intro with hellatious TS and correspondent engine braking issues without the DBW. Don't perceive that either the consumer or even the 'safety' nuts thought it was that much of a problem at the time (say 2002-03). The new Maximas/Altimas, though, this has 'disappeared' into electronic never-never land in combination with that CVT.
    It's not that I don't agree you, at least partially, but the fact of the matter is that Toyota/Lexus has not yet fully solved the FWD transaxle problem even using DBW to delay the onset of engine torque when the accelerator pedal is depressed shortly after a FULL lift-throttle coastdown event.

The other issue is from an emissions startpoint, government, EPA, CARB, regulations. Using the SFI system to cut fuel and thereby reduce engine torque to accommodate these so called safety systems, VSC/Trac/BA/EBD/ABS/etc, was undoubtedly the most inexpensive method of accomplishing that task.

But simply reducing the fuel flow but not closing the throttle to reduce airflow would quite certainly get the attention of those agencies.

But, in your favor, totally, if the issue of engine RPM matching to road speed to reduce engine compression braking in the new Suzuki SX4 with manual transaxle is actually true then clearly a DBW system was required for that.
  • roberts5roberts5 Member Posts: 35
    Toyota has Bluetooth capabilities on many of its car, just not the Avalon. Why not?
    The 3.5 engine is fantastic in power and gas mileage. I am glad to see Toyota using it also in the Camry, Rav-4, Sienna and Highlander for 2008.
    Not everybody likes having a sunroof, so hopefuuly one day they will offer more solid hardtops.
    Happy Toyotering!
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    Since Toyota/Lexus have introduced the Camry, LS and GS platforms with hybrid engines, any idea when that will occur with the Avalon...2008? Thanks
  • zebra5zebra5 Member Posts: 47
    Today, we visited a dealership and looked at the Avalon. These three things are making us decide to wait for the 2008s.
    1. Standard VSC - safety. Note: it bugs me that in TX I have to "buy up" in trim level, i.e., XLS with packaged VSC & heated seats, just to safeguard my family with VSC. Maybe the economics of offering VSC dictates that practice, or maybe Gulf States Toyota is the culprit - I don't know.
    2. Bluetooth - safety (hands free). Let's do what we can to eradicate dorky wireless earpieces everywhere.
    3. MP3 auxilary - current technology. Thanks, but I can do without the cassette player now. 100 million DAPs sold, but at last check Toyota's flagship sedan can't connect to any of them.

We keep our cars for 10 years. In 5 years, almost every car will have all three, right? So half its life, we would be missing out on some important advancements in safety and technology.

So when is the earliest we will all know what changes are made for 2008?
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    See---'SAE Show: Toyota to focus on fuel efficient large cars?'
    Link: link title

J
  • nemeneme Member Posts: 2
    I'll keep hoping to see the right answer to #43. My Acura lease ends in August, and the answer will determine whether an '08 Avalon will be a "slam dunk" (sorry, couldn't resist) or another good contender.
    Really if you like the car none of the things from post #43 are out of the question on the Avalon.

VSC/TRAC is installed on almost all Avalons (at least here in Jersey).

Bluetooth is available aftermarket

Ipod connectivity can be accomplished with an adaptor that Best Buy can install for under $200. I have it on my '06 and it works wonderfully. Charges the I-pod and I can change tracks from the steering wheel. The OEM interfaces just hook up to the headphone jack.

I agree that these features should be standard on the Avalon, but it didn't keep me from buying mine. There really isn't a car (IMO) with the room, ride, power and fuel economy that the Avalon delivers for the price.

• lakerunner4hlakerunner4h Member Posts: 37
    How about a power tilt & telescopic steering wheel -- as has the ES350 and the Cadillac STS?
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    whats the 0 to 60/62mph seconds for the new avalon
    0-60 been tested as low as 6 flat (C&D) most others at about 6.2, quarter 14.5 at 100. Power is not an issue!
    That's smoking. Seems like that av-e can keep up with my 6 speed Acura TL. Impressive.

nick
  • ymalluymallu Member Posts: 1
    Touch-Screen NAV....