Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2010
    WE ARE UP TO FOUR NOW!
    (1) The all weather floor mats will be replaced if they are the "old style".
    (2) The gas pedal will be shortened and they dig out part of the carpet to prevent a mat from holding the throttle depressed. I've seen this. It looks like a rat chewed on your pedal and carpet.
    (3) A new fitting (bushing) will be added to the linkage to prevent sticking pedal.
    (4) A new rubber coupling will be added to the vvvti oil line. I will insist on the line that is used in the Lexus engine. It is ALL metal.
  • tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    What is the "old style" mat? I bought my rubber Avalon mats in '08.
    Your guess is as good as mine! I purchased a new 08 Touring and the all-weather mats last Summer. The car is with me, in Texas. The mats are in my garage in Pennsylvania.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Where to start.

On cruise control 3 different times, it sped up all by itself.

The brake pedal had to be pumped on 5-7 occasions (when first applied it went to the floor)

The car would excel all by itself. Not a hugh amount, but it made me pay attention each time.

It did act like it had water or something in the gas a few times (bucking and surging).

I couldn't get the radio to get any classical music stations south of New York? (Just kidding - it's true but I'm not blaming the car:)

The trip was from Maine to Florida, with a dozen or so stops in between (Scranton, PA, Savanna, GA, Charleston, SC, Charlotte, NC, Tampa, FL to name a few stops.)

The good news is, none of these things caused me to have an accident. It made me drive a bit more careful thou.

MPG seemed pretty much like it has been 28 - 30 MPG highway. It might have been better with summer tires, but those aren't that good, so I keep me snow tires on. Not to mention with the crazy weather we have been haing, I was concerned I might run into a snow storm on the trip.

Skip
  • doug3030doug3030 Member Posts: 20
    Do you have the laser cruise control on your car? I was somewhat surprized after getting my Limited and used the cruise control the first time. I didn;t realize it went into laser control initially and when the road ahead was clear, it sped up automatically. Kind of scary at first but used to it now and enjoy it on long trips.Perhaps you got some bad gas causing the bucking, etc.
    Great thought, but no, I don't have laser controlled cruise. As for the bad gas, I'm hoping that's all it is, but the fact that it happen so many different times throughout out the trip, I'm thinking it's not.

I'm wondering more about the fuel filter. I have an appointment the 7th, and hopefully they can find something. I'm not holding out to much for it (those sometimes yes, sometimes no problems are so damn hard to fix).

Skip
  • floridastevefloridasteve Member Posts: 13
    I identified this condition in an earlier post. When I took the car in for servicing this problem the service guy said use it in the standard mode.
    I'm not sure I understand the response. Could you please post your earlier response or clear this one up for me.

Skip
  • cantchipcantchip Member Posts: 1
    i purchased my 2008 Toyota Av in February 2008. My left headlight went out in June 2009. A computer box and bulb was replaced under warranty. April 15th 2010 my right headlight has gone out and dealership states that since my car has 44k miles that it is no longer in warranty. Keep in mind that my 3 years has not expired but the miles exceeded 36k. It does not seem right to me that i will have to pay $800 + dollars to have this fixed and if I do when will this happen again! I am very dissatisfied with my selection of cars. Thought that Toyota was the best money could buy.
  • mlinggamlingga Member Posts: 60
    Have you reviewed the earlier posts on this issue? If you have an Av with the HID headlights (i.e. the self-leveling headlights on the Limited model) then this is absolutely typical and expected. The HID bulbs are extremely short-lived, and I and others have replaced theirs as well around the same time as yours.

Do review the earlier posts as they really cover the issue completely. In particular, look for a post containing a copy of the letter from Toyota in which they admit that the problem was the bulbs, NOT the computer controller, and that, at least for Prius owners, they would refund the cost of any computer box replaced (though yours was under warranty so no harm there).

You will also see that you can purchase the HID bulds (D4R's if I recall correctly) online from multiple sources at much less (mine were about $100 for a pair). I was also able to have the bulbs installed by a local body shop, rather than the Toyota dealer, for another $100 or so, so my total cost was $200, NOT the $800 my dealer quoted me.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Instead of self-leveling headlamps, why not have a self-leveling suspension? My DTS, Lucerne, and now my Town Car has this feature. No embarrassment when you take a few friends home from the all-you-can-eat Chinese Grand Buffet.
    My 2008 Avalon touring nneds:.
    (1) The all weather floor mats will be replaced if they are the "old style".
    (2) The gas pedal will be shortened and they dig out part of the carpet to prevent a mat from holding the throttle depressed. (3) A new fitting will be added to the linkage to prevent sticking pedal and the computer will be reflashed.. (4) A new rubber coupling will be added to the vvvti oil line. I insisted on the line that is used in the Lexus engine. It is ALL metalI. Two weeks ago I Told the service manager, that I would pay the difference in cost to have the all metal Lexus line installed-even gave him the part number and told him I would need a loaner while they complete all the above the work. (3 hours) I'm STILL waiting for a call.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    HID ballasts (computer box) are quite sensitive to 12 volt supply voltage so be sure the battery is in good shape. Try switching them on AFTER starting the engine so they don't have to "re-fire" after the starting voltage sag.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    This would apply to any car using the HID/ballast headlights. The system probably has a voltage regulator built in to protect it during operation.. but the start-up drop would tax the system to the limit especially with a weak battery. Excellent idea, start the car, then turn on the lights, might make things last a lot longer... :)
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    StoneyB, stick to your guns on the metal oil line. In my region (Gulf States Toyota) service managers have been told by Toyota to replace the metal line under warranty if the customer pays for the new metal oil line at the parts department. The metal line, installed on my Avalon, cost me $30 and change!

Apparently some service managers/dealers are doing everything short of double back flips to keep from installing the metal line that is the only real fix for this problem. More "Toyota logic" I guess.
  • 1lotlizard1lotlizard Member Posts: 14
    Dad's 2009 Avalon backs out of the garage, but misbehaves when put in drive. The engine revs but the car moves forward little if any for a few seconds. After that, it is OK. This only happens after a cold start such as first thing in the morning. I hear the dealer claims this is completely normal, but no other Avalon I've driven (including my own and others that I tested when buying) behaves this way. All the recall work was performed, and this problem presented shortly after the second recall where the pedal and floor are addressed along with the electronic override of the throttle if the brake is applied. It seems concerning in light of whatever electronic gremlins may yet be involved in throttle response, and I can't believe his dealer's response. Any insight on this is appreciated.
  • kbetts1kbetts1 Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2010
    Go to a different dealer as that one is really stupid.
    Your problem sounds like classic low transmission fluid level and the dealer should have checked the transmission. Before you back out, try putting the car in Drive with your foot on the brake for a few seconds. That should pump fluid through the drive valves and charge the system. If it works I'd really suspect low transmission fluid level.

The transmission is only serviced every 100,000 miles and my '08 doesn't even have a stick to measure it with so you'll have to take it to a dealer. Not the original dealer, though.

Hope it works out for you,
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I've got a rental Avalon for a few days. i wanted to zero out the average fuel economy, but couldn't figure out how to do it. i dropped by a Toyota dealership,and they said it goes back to zero when you fill it up, but that it can't be reset manually....is this true?
    Do the rear seats fold down?
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    That is true: the mpg cannot be reset manually. The rear seats recline 10 degrees, however, they do not fold down as the only pass through from the cabin to the trunk is the small area behind the middle arm rest.
    I had the Lexus oil line installed by the dealer yesterday. $21 for the metal line and $80 for installation.
  • 1lotlizard1lotlizard Member Posts: 14
    Thanks verey very much for your message. After three more hours at the dealer recently and Dad insisting they check the fluid level, it was found to be a quart low on transmission fluid. He says the car is doing much better now. I told him to have it monitored to make sure there isn't a leak. Again, your insight is much appreciated!
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Has anyone experienced a jammed rear window shade (sunscreen) on the Avalon LImited, where it would not automatically retract after you push the button that operates it OR after you put the car in reverse? I have that problem now for the first time and wondered if anyone knows of a do-it-yourself fix. I may need to see a Toyota service dept. otherwise.
  • aus1aus1 Member Posts: 20
    Yesterday during routine maintenance, I had the dealer replace the cabin air filter and when I picked up the vehicle, the circulating fan is noisy at high speed so I will be returning to the dealer.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Does anyone know how close the fan is to the air filter or where I can find this information?

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I return to the dealer.

Thanks!
    Hi. I can't answer your questions, but I can say, that I had mine (2008 Touring Edition) replace at 32,000 miles and the noise didn't change at all. Heck, the smell might have increase if anything.

I've been wondering whether or not, the area in and around the filter needs to be bleached / cleaned at the same time, or at least now.

Skip
    The dealer tried to convince me that the a/c duct system needed to be treated with "an expanding foam" to eliminate a slight odor problem due to possible mold. I asked if any mold was visible and they said they couldn't determine that because the vents were black. My BS meter began to rise with that reply and besides, all previous vehicles I've owned had a slight a/c odor and only one required repair due to improper coil draining.

I didn't have it done and if there is an odor, I can't smell it.
    Your BS meter may be just a tad too sensitive...

The problem of "dirty gym socks odor" from the A/C system has become VERY commonplace. An ounce of prevention is often worth a pound of cure.
    I agree that my BS meter would be off but only if I had the "dirty gym socks odor".
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    What is the ounce of prevention? I assume that when you park the car the evaporator is damp and then the moisture sits in the system causing mold/mildew and hence the smell. The only thing that I could think to prevent that is to run the fan for a few minutes (with A/C switched off) after parking the car. This, IMO is a little inconvenient.... however, a shot or two of Lysol (through the air intake) while the system is running can certainly help from time to time if the odor gets too bad.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

The idea, the one I suspect the dealer was promoting, is to coat the evaporator vane surface area with an anti-microbial chemical, fungicide, as a pre-emptive measure. Don't give those little buggers even the smallest of toe-holds to start breeding.
    I agree.

Anyway, they found the noise problem. Apparently, while they replaced the cabin filter, they left a portion of the old filter in the vents and this was vibrating.
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    I cannot find the tranny dipstick on my 2009 Avalon, or any reference to it in the manual. Any suggestions?
    There isn't one...

The proper filling of the transaxle is now so critical that not even many of the dealer service persons are competent enough to do it.
  • gilseidmangilseidman Member Posts: 22
    In the future, change the cabin filter yourself. The Toyota manual tells you how to do it and it is a simple 5 minute job that you would do better than the dealer. You are more careful and would make certain that the entire filter is removed. A fillter replacement is about twelve bucks. A spray of Lysol might be a good idea if you smell any mold, otherwise, leave it alone.
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    You are right. I checked with my dealer who confirmed that some of the newer Toyotas do not have a tranny dipstick because they now use a tranny oil/fluid that is extremely sensitive to, and easily absorbs, humidity that damages the system. Therefore, the newer transmissions are more or less "sealed and the oil can be checked/replaced only by a trained technician.
    edited June 2010
    Personally I don't think moisture absortion has anything to do with it. Simply a way to put a stop to dealer revenues from needless drain and flush procedures.

Secondary issue is the design to minimize the amount of fluid required, factory cost plus weight. The design is now such the even the slightest overfill will result in frothing/foaming of the ATF and subsequence failures.
  • gilseidmangilseidman Member Posts: 22
    I just changed my air filter on my 2008 Avalon Ltd after reaching 30,000 miles. The manual recommends the change and the filter was dirty and needed to be changed. I bought the air filter at Auto Barn for about $12.00. I have been changing air filters on different Toyota models for many years, but never had such a difficult time, due to a poorly designed and shaped triangular air filter container with three hold down clips and two opposite plastic hinges. Most air filters will fit in the bottom of the filter container, but for this model, the filter fits in the top of the container, so remember how the filter came out once you take it apart. If you are not handy, let your mechanic do it.
    If you want to do it, remove the three rubber suction hoses first, as well as the electrical switch on the top of the filter box. Remember where the hoses go, or label them. Use a phillips screwdriver and loosen the hold down clamp on the large rubber hose attached to the air filter holder box. Separate the large air hose from the air filter box. Open the three hold down clips on the air filter box and use masking tape to hold them attached to the box, to keep the clips out of your way. You should then be able to remove the old filter from the top of the air filter container and replace it. Reverse the procedure to put it back together.
  • davepiszykdavepiszyk Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2007 LTD Avalon. The electric sunscreen just stopped this week. I can hear a click when I push the button but it doesn't operate and now stuck in the up position.
    Has any one else experienced this? gohawaiian did you get your problem fixed? What did you do, what was the cost?
    Thanks
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    I fixed it on my own - not sure if it was just a lucky fluke - but you can try this: the shade uses both a motor and some kind of spring-loaded mechanism for those metal bars that raise and lower the shade. Try squeezing on the metal bar at each edge of the shade - in my case, one of them could be pushed (a few inches) inward (toward the center of the window shade) and then, when I let go, it returned to its vertical position on the edge of the sunshade. I did this once or twice and then - lo and behold - the shade retracted the next time I pushed the control button. It hasn't malfunctioned since. Good luck!
  • erhafterhaft Member Posts: 3
    While driving to work ths morning, I turned on the High Beams. After about 2 minutes, both quit working. The switch and panel indicate they should be on. Have not had a chance to check the fuses (one for left & right) while at work. Seems highly unusual both would drop out at the same time. Just had both low beam D4R HID lamps replaced. Hints? Solution?
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    Did you check to see if the fog/driving lights were accidently bumped and turned on? High beams go off then the driving lights are on. Just a thought if it isn't a fuse.
  • erhafterhaft Member Posts: 3
    I will check the doublecheck the fog/riving light activation. Aren't they supposed to automatically turn off anyway when you activate the high beam via the stalk? I was driving with the high beams when they both went out.
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    if you have the high beams on and turn on the driving/fog lights the high beams turn off.
    I suspect you have that just a bit backwards.

If you turn on the high beam the fog lights will go off.

Most asian origin cars only allow the fog lights to be operated when the low beams are on. European origin allows fog lights to be operated alone, the only way they can be of any real use/value.

While US origin was once the same as europe the asian OEM suppliers (Denso US, etc,) operating as vendors to US manufacturers have had an adverse influence on that.
  • advocate5advocate5 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    Both my high beam bulbs "blew up" last week. Dealer confirmed there is a Service Bulletin (TSB-0044-10). Cost to replace both assemblies was $2,400. Toyota agreed to pick up 2/3 of the cost. I paid the $800 but am beginning my research to this obvious design defect. Seems like with a service bulletin and enough similar situations that we have a very strong case.
    Total Toyota aggravation, but I'm fairly confident that I'll win the battle.

TSB-0044-10 Summary:
    TOYOTA: HIGH BEAM/DRL BULB INOPERATIVE. ON SOME VEHICLES, THE HIGH BEAM/DRL BULB MAY BECOME INOPERTIVE OR SHATTER. A NEWLY DESIGNED HIGH BEAM/DRL HOUSING ASSEMBLY (INCLUDING THE APPLICABLE BULB) IS AVAILABLE IN THE EVENT THIS CONDITION H ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10033406 )
  • kbetts1kbetts1 Member Posts: 36
    I just don't know what to say to the high beam "blow up" scenario. The high beams are standard bulbs, not HID. Headlights are a simple circuit compared to something running on the CAN bus and much more than the lights would be dead. There is no failure I can imagine that would cost $2400 unless it required removing the dash and rewiring the car. Even then, it's much simpler to hack the wiring and run an alternate circuit to the high beams that could be designed and installed by any half way competent car electronics guy for $200 at most.

These are simple light bulbs and switches with a couple of relays.... $2400 is absurd.
    edited October 2010
    $2,400,...Wow, did that dealer see you coming.

That might be a good number (although too high for even that IMMHO) for replacing both HID headlight assmblies, but halogen...??

NEVER...!

It has long been known that operation, long term operation, of halogen bulbs for DRLs using sub-standard voltages, 5-6 volts vs 12, results in sooting of the interior of the bulb's glass encapsulation, heat trapping soot, and subsequent melting of the glass encapsulation.

But "blew up", I think not.

The only damage I have personally seen from this was limited to the high beam bulb itself and I simply replaced the bulbs, disabled the factory DRL circuit and substituted a pair of 3W LEDs.

I suggest you ask the dealer for a FULL refund, and/or notify Toyota Corporate, or take the dealer to small claims court if no one offers any satisfaction.
  • mlinggamlingga Member Posts: 60
    Has anyone else experienced repeated problems with the TPMS? This is the third time the low pressure warning light has come on despite good pressures in all tires. The system was fixed, in some unknown way, once under warranty. The second time, it was out of warranty and I paid around $200 for a new sensor. Knowing my dealer, that was a ripoff. Now we're at it for the third time.

The reason I'm particularly concerned is that our other car, an '07 Lexus GS350, appears to have the same TPMS as the Avvy, and it also has a false warning light on. I've tried to reset that TPMS following the manual's instructions, but I do not get the message confirming that it was reset. Is there any known issue with the Toyota TPMS (other than how lousy it is compared to my Suburban's system, which reads out the exact pressure in each tire on a real time basis, and has never failed in 90.000 miles of driving).?
    "..all tires.." Including the spare..?
  • Mike0853Mike0853 Member Posts: 3
    My left headlight (HID) went out at 31,000 miles on Avalon Limited. Dealer replaced it for free.
  • advocate5advocate5 Member Posts: 8
    There is a service bulletin (documented in many places) - the whole assembly is defective, so their diagnosis was correct, but my having to pay for any of it isn't right. I already began my calls, emails etc. and the dealer is now working with Toyota of America. We shall see.