Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    Just for everyone's benefit: Did the repairs to the headlight problem eliminate the problem on all the 2011 and after models? Or not? Thanks...
  • papasavalonpapasavalon Member Posts: 14
    The real issue is the compatibility between the headlight housing and Toyota's choice of headlight bulbs. I believe the type of bulbs used exceed the ability of the headlight housings to dissipate the heat generated by the bulbs. Think about it,if it were only the bulbs themselves, they would simply have to replace the bulbs. The high heat not only burns out bulbs prematurely but in my and other cases distorts the assemblies to the point that the self-leveling feature also becomes non-functional. These are both SAFETY ISSUES. And that is something that can't be fixed by replacing bulbs. My Avalon's headlight assemblies were dealer replaced under their "program" not only because of bulbs going out but the self-leveling system no longer worked. The new assemblies by the way INCLUDE different type bulbs (compared to the original) and new self-leveling assemblies.
  • mlinggamlingga Member Posts: 60
    @papasavalon: I'm curious to know the basis for some of what you have reported. Specifically, on what grounds are you confident that the recent recall had anything to do with the self-leveling system?

What I think is undisputed is that Toyota agreed to replace the headlight assemblies in '08 Limiteds, if there was a history of either bulbs shattering/melting, or premature failure of the high (halogen) bulbs. In the letter from Toyota there was no mention of any self-leveling system issues as justification for the replacement. Do you have information that would support that notion? It's a confusing idea, since, as you know, the self-levelers work on the HID low beams, not the halogen high beams, so it's a bit surprising that a high beam problem would lead to a low beam system failure. But, they are all crammed in there together.

I would be happy if the self levelers were replaced, as mine failed on two occasions before the recall.

As for the reason for premature failure, I think wwest has in earlier posts clearly identified the real problem--running the halogen bulbs at suboptimal voltage in order to use them as DRL's, a really dumb idea. Interestingly the new headlight assemblies on my Limited appear to have a much dimmer DRL. I wonder if they dropped the voltage even lower, sacrificing lumens to reduce heat?
  • urspider76urspider76 Member Posts: 12
    Unfortunately for me, I have a high mileage 2008 Ltd and am not eligible for the high beam recall. I have replaced my high beams (left and right) three times. (I have 194K miles on my Avalon). In each instance of a failed high beam lamp the bulb exploded. It is my understanding that in the day time running mode these bulbs are enegized with lower voltage which eventually leads to the bulb exploding. I was told that Toyota had to replace the entire light housing as it is impossible to remove the pulverized glass pieces that accumulate at the bottom of the housing each time a bulb explodes. The replacement bulb in the new housing is a different bulb and I assume has been designed not to fail like the original bulb. I have purchased exact oem phillips bulbs for each replacement I have made. Does anyone have the bulb manufacturer and number for the bulbs Toyota is now using with the headlight assembly replacements? If so - please advise. THANKS
    Sorry it took so long to reply to your post. Regarding the "Warranty Ehancement Notice" I looked it over again and you are right, i find nothing refering to the self-leveling system. Yet, I do recall conversation with my Toyota dealer who, when bringing this issue (and the "Notice") to their attention, were very open in looking into the issue. Their service writer knew more about the issue than was spelled out in the letter and knew that if there were an HID bulb problem it was possible that the self-levelers could also be affected.
    Since the NEW headlight assemblies INCLUDE all necessary components including ALL bulbs and the self-leveling system, all components would be new. There is no "parts substitution", everything is new.

Some posters have had dealerships that are difficult to deal with. First off, my dealer submitted my information to Toyota for approval before I was put on the list for replacement. I can understand the process since the dealer doesn't want to get stuck with paying for something they won't get reimbursed for.
  • rfisher66rfisher66 Member Posts: 2
    I just removed and cleaned the throttle body on my '06 Avalon. There were two hoses that I had to disconnct from the side of the throttle body to completely remove it and a pink fluid drained out of the throttle body when I removed one of the hoses. It wasn't much and it appeared to be coolant. What is this fluid and what is it for. Does it draw the fluid from the cooling system?
  • nackernacker Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a used 2008 Avalon and wondering if you would be willing to share the details of how you disabled DRL and substituted the 3W LED. Seems like a much better solution than replacing headlight assemblies. Thanks.
  • daddywags1daddywags1 Member Posts: 3
    I changed the battery in my Avalon not knowing that I'd screw up the 6CD player. Any way to fix this without the replacement that my dealer suggested?
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    What exactly did you do when replacing the battery that screwed up the CD player? Battery changes should not affect electrical components.
    Thx for answering. I just disconnected the battery and replaced with a new one. Toyota dealer and auto electronics guy have told me this screws up player. Makes no sense to me but that's what they tell me. Player is getting electricity because the readout keeps saying player is empty but I know its full
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    Doesn't make sense. When I had my 06 Avalon a few times the CD player acted up and I actually fixed it by pulling the fuses for it (resetting it)

Google around for "fixes" IIRC holding in the eject button for a few seconds should make the unit spit out (one by one) any discs it has in it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    edited February 2013
    I googled bad Avalon CD player/battery change and "EHow" came up with instructions to reset code. If you bought your Avalon new, code and instructions were with the manual. Otherwise you get them from a dealer. Sounds like you need to try another dealer (if you don't have the code) that does not want to make money selling you a new Stereo/CD player. Reset code from dealer should be in the $50 range.

The stereo/CD player is one unit. I had one replaced under warranty on my 2007 Avalon. Service Mgr. said cost would have been $1200-$1300 without warranty.
  • Mike0853Mike0853 Member Posts: 3
    I found out the hard way that replacing the battery also screws up the automatic windows. Drove car home after dealer replaced the battery, driver side window would only go down manually. Passenger side window didn't work at all. Went back to dealer, service manager had to "relearn" the windows, said the technician forgot to do it.
  • iakiak Member Posts: 3
    I can't seem to have my 2010 Avalon adjust its time automatically for daylight savings. I went to Info, and put the clock on auto and yet it will not adjust automatically for daylight savings. Any ideas?
    If you have a Nav screen it's in the book.. two clicks and it works twice a year... not sure on the non-Nav... for Nav, set to Yes on the daylight saving choice then click top right hand corner to confirm.. done.
    Yes I do have a nav and I did set the adjustment to "on" for daylight savings and it still does not work. tried turning it off then back on and even drove it down the block to see if the gps would make it work but nothing. has anyone experienced the same? or am I doing something wrong?
    edited March 2013
    Try this sequence:
    Info -- Adjust Clock -- Auto Adjust set to ON -- Daylight Saving set to ON -- OK

My '07 Limited just went to Daylight Saving..... it should work...
    Do you live in a border area for time changes? Is your clock set to the proper time zone for where you spend most of your time? fin :)
  • hatchmo52hatchmo52 Member Posts: 3
    A flashing red outline of a car, side view, comes on after the engine is turned off with a key, and stays on until the engine is next started. On the instrument panel, of course, and it flashes off and on maybe a second or two between flashes. What does this mean? Is there something simple I can do without incurring a service call?
  • jmmckjmmck Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for previous tips. 2008 Avalon has left headlight all of a sudden aimed quite a bit lower than the right. All work fine...just look odd. Looking at a wall, the left headlight shines about 24 inches lower. Any ideas on fixing these expensive lites? Thanks.
  • jmmckjmmck Member Posts: 9
    Believe that indicates your security/alarm system is OK.
    If you have had issues with the high-Beam/DRL bulbs in the past,, that gives me a clue. This sounds like an issue with the self-leveling system, and if it is, the "fix" is replacement of the entire headlight assemblies ( assemblies include all new bulbs and the self-leveling mechanisms). Hopefully your Avalon is within 5 years of first use and under 72K miles and you have the "Warranty Enhancement" document. This document covers certain 2008 through 2010 Avalons. I believe Toyota had issues with certain headlght bulbs that apparently adversly affected the integrity of the headlight assemblies which INCLUDE the self-leveling mechanism. I had issues with bulbs going off and next time on and noticed that the headlight beams were not "leveling" when I started the car. Having said document, I took my Avalon to my dealer who got authorization for headlight assembly replacement. BTW, these assemblies cost $2400 which was covered by Toyota per said document.
    What a huge help that answer is! Thank you very much. That's exactly ther problem I have and have been planning to simply replace the high beam fuses. My 2008 Avalon fits within the paramaters, and I don't have the "Warranty Enhancement" document, but you gave me enough information to talk with the dealer about the problem.
    Repaired at the dealership, as explained in your post, at no charge! Thanks again.
    When should I change the timing belt on 2008 Avalon?
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    No timing belt on the 2GR V6 it's a chain! I would think it should last the life of the car.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• neophyte99neophyte99 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much. Your info enabled me to change the HID low beam on my 08 avalon, passenger side an about 15 min. Would have been 5 min but the fold down clip was difficult a first but after I figured it out it was a breeze. The cap gave me a little trouble going back on but still worth it. Saved at least $200.
  • jeffw63jeffw63 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Did Toyota notify affected owners of the "warranty enhancement" program? If so, how? How/when was the program announced? TIA for the response.
    The "Warranty Enhancement Notice" was received by mail directly from Toyota and is not dated. We probably got it a year and a half to two years ago. Those who learned of it from this forum (and didn't have or couldn't find the document) apparently simply went to their dealer with this knowledge and inquired about the document's existance and had the headlight replacement done. Remember in order for your Avalon to qualify, it must have less than 72K miles and less than 5 years of being in service. Also this issue pertains only to the HighBeam/DLR bulbs.
    Good luck
  • travelmamatravelmama Member Posts: 2
    Having continuing problems with car not starting. Have replaced battery 3 times, new stereo amp and new starter switch - all in last 6 months. Ideas?
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Member Posts: 28
    Have your mechanic check your auto dimming rear view mirror. My mother's Avalon's mirror was wired in reverse at the port where it came in. This mirror drain would kill the battery in a couple of days.
  • thall9thall9 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2008 Avalon and I am still in my 3 day window for returning the car. It has 82000 miles and the 1st night I was driving it the right head light did go out. I am not sure what to and any quick advice would be helpful.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Bring it back and have them replace it NOW, while under warranty as these can be expensive.

Skip

PS My 2008 went through 3 in the left hand side, before it stopped doing so, and worked fine and trouble free. At least until I traded it in.
  • mlinggamlingga Member Posts: 60
    I'd see if the headlight assemblies were replaced under the Toyota extended warranty. Knock wood, since that was done on mine I have not had any subsequent problems, after much misery with the original lights. If your car has not had the lights replaced, and it is not eligible for the free replacement, I'd either ditch the car, or negotiate a couple thousand off the price for the cost of the replacements.
  • rstockingrstocking Member Posts: 3
    I had problems with my headlights at 75K miles. It was not covered under warranty and Toyota would not make an exception even though I never received the recall for replacing the headlight assemblies for cars with 72K miles or less. I would not pay the $2500 to have the assemblies replace myself, so I replaced the high beams myself for $80. I had to replace them again in 6 months for another $80, but so far they are still working. My right low beam went out and I had a local garage replace it for $100. So far it is still working, but now my left low beam is going out randomly, so I am going to the Toyota garage to get a quote to replace it. Overall I love the car and gas mileage, but the headlight issue has been a fiasco. I will soon have 100K miles and plan to keep patching the headlights as needed.
    The problems Toyota had with the 2008 Avalon headlights were with the daytime running / high beam bulbs. The bulbs have been redesigned and no longer shatter in this application. I had several sets shatter and replaced myself - too many miles for the extended Toyota warranty on these. (Toyota was replacing the entire headlight lense assembly to deal with the broken glass from these shattered lights.) The hid low beam bulbs have not been a problem. If you have some mechanical ability you can easily change these.
    Both of my low beam hid headlights started flickering at one time or another and I eventually replaced both. I purchased identical HID's off of the net. To date I have only replaced each bulb once. The current general high beam bulbs have been in for the past 3 years. I have 222K miles on my 2008 LTD. No other problems - it is a great car and will give you many, many more miles of carefree driving.
    I love the car and I think want to keep it, wondering if driving without the daytime lights would help this problem.
    Can you help me understand are you saying you just replaced each of the lights and that resolved the problem. I took the car back for them to resolve the one light that went out. If I could get them to replace them all that would be ideal.
    Toyota: Service bulletin..tsb..0044-10 Rev 1. I found this online and called 2 of my local dealers and they said if I am having a problem bring it in and it will be no charge. However they did say I have to be having a problem they will not replace if I am not..currently I am not he said it was good for 10 years or 120,000 miles....hope this helps we are all in this together.
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    I recently replaced the original tires on my Avalon 2009 XL (Bridgestone Potenzas) with Michelin Primacy MXV4 because these were so highly rated and supposed to give a smooth ride. Well, these Michelin tires ride like bricks and one feels every surface roughness or irregularity. I've double checked tire pressure and it is correct (29psi). The Michelins have ruined the very soft ride that Avalons are known for and which was one of the things I liked the most about my car. Has anyone else had same issue or experience with these tires?
  • rfisher66rfisher66 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '06 Avalon Touring with 210,000 miles on it and have run the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on it for at least the last 30,000 miles. I've found the ride to be great. Smooth with excellent handling. I normally run my tires at 35psi, for no other reason than that's just what seems to work for me. Still have the original shocks/struts. Not sure why your tires are not giving you the ride you want. Could be the suspension or could just be a bad set of Michelins, which would be very rare. Not sure about this set of Michelins but I know that my last set were directional and had to be installed in pairs on the correct axle/side of the car. So, a couple of things you might want to check on. Have a good front end man check the suspension and make sure the tires were installed correctly.
    My 1st set of tires after the original Michelins were Primacy MXV4. I have a 2008 Ltd. Smooth, quiet ride - these lasted 117,000 miles. I now have 30,000 + on my second set of Primacy MXV4. Same results as before - I keep 35 - 36 psi in these.
  • kbetts1kbetts1 Member Posts: 36
    Those are typically outstanding tires so it's not the tires unless you have a bad tire pressure gauge or tires that sat in the warehouse so long they got hard. You can check the DOT code production date as follows....

In the example:
    DOT U2LL LMLR 5107
    51 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year
    07 Manufactured during 2007

Hope you get it figured out as bad tire are really annoying on an Avalon.
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for the info (also to others who responded). I am going back to Costco this weekend to check the problem out. I know it is not the suspension because just one week prior to geting the tires my Avalon went through a major service at Toyota dealer and everything was OK. I noticed the harsheness of the ride immediately after getting the tires but thought it was probably overinflation. Adjusting the psi has made no difference. I'm hoping it is just a case of getting a set of bad or old tires.
  • growler99growler99 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013
    Wife owns a lightly used '08 XLS w/ 45K mi. with a dead LH high-beam light, I'm OK with minor repairs and I do not understand this entire issue. The only daytime running lights I've noted are the little, inboard, amber ones costing peanuts, so why are we all talking about daytime running lights contained w/in the high-beams? I'm not even sure about whether those are HIDs, except to know that the HIR-1 bulbs are pretty much obsolete (at a cost of $46 apiece!) and have largely been replaced with some much cheaper 9011s..

She rarely uses her brights and none appear to have exploded or damaged their housings. I don't get it, except to know that trying to replace her dead high-beam bulb is sure to make me remove the battery. The dealer wanted $100 to do this job and I think that it smells. After cycling all the lights, my impression is that the little amber guys are her daytime running lights and that the brights are not; also, that the discussion about that does not apply. Am I wrong?
  • nackernacker Member Posts: 2
    You will need to remove the battery unless you are some sort of contortionist. The high beams are run at a lower voltage for DRL and that has caused carbon build-up on the filaments which cause failure problems. The Toyota solution is a new design headlight module that I have read are $1000 plus per unit to have replaced.
    I bought a used 2008 Avalon last Fall and my wife, who does not use high beams very often, discovered that they both were not working. Both of the bulbs were broken, I assume from a mini explosion. I replaced both the bulbs with the $46 bulbs and the drivers side did require battery removal. I was not aware of the 9011 bulbs being a replacement bulb. Wondering if these will work as the DRL in low voltage mode. I would be interested in what you find.
  • hockeyguy4hockeyguy4 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Can you tell me what the bulb specifications you're using for both the low and High HID bulbs? Thanks
  • rstockingrstocking Member Posts: 3
    If you know a good mechanic you may want to get an estimate from them to replace the bulb. The real problem is with the high and low bulbs. I suggest you get a copy of the extended warranty covering the headlight assembly replacement, which is covers cars with less than 72K miles. I had a quote for $2500 to replace the assemblies. Since I was not under the warranty I chose to replace bulbs and see how it goes. I have replace the high beams twice and both low beams once. So far they are still working, and I have 106K miles. Good luck.
  • growler99growler99 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013
    Thank you, but meanwhile I did learn about and find their "Warranty Enhancement Notice" #CSC-10042925-9889 applying to 2008-10 Avs, which my wife never got in the mail. If EITHER of the hi-beam(s)/DRL(s) explode or just fail w/in 5 years of in-service date or 72k miles, whichever is less, TOY says they will replace BOTH sides' housings & bulbs free w/ redesigns. As wife's miles are v.lo. and her in-service date was 10/30/08, she is just going to sneak under the wire and save $2600-2800. Yippee! So much for Grossinger Toyota, which did not tell her this in order to sell her a bulb, which is not a lasting fix. Nor does this cover the low beams which, fortunately, are still OK.
  • jgregorytjgregoryt Member Posts: 1

2008 Limited...changing the HID bulb...passenger side. I was able to get the cap off and assembly out, changed the bulb but can't seem to get the assembly back in the fixture. I spread the "fins" back a little. It seems like something needs to line up so the assembly will engage with the fixture. Any advice? Thanks!