Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• terrilyneterrilyne Member Posts: 2
    Hi I was just wondering if you found the solution to this problem? I have the same problem when i'm driving my truck just shuts off and i can put it in park and start it back up and drive away... I'm a 21 year old female i just bought this truck and Im not sure really about anything mechanical I have no clue... :cry:
  • terrilyneterrilyne Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 TB and all of a sudden it just stalls as i'm driving seems to be when i come up to a stop light or stop sign, It allows me to put the truck into park and restart it right away but it's not safe at all because as the truck stalls I lose all control of the steering and brakes (obviously because theres no power) I am a 21 year old mother of 2 and kinda scared I'm going to crash into someone I have no clue about cars and have been getting maybe guesses as to whats wrong but everyone is saying completely different things so I'm not sure where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!! :cry:
  • jrg12jrg12 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same exact problem as dogday. 2002 TB is stuck in park, wont start, and when key is turned to "run" position the speedometer and RPM gauge bounce all over the place. Im ready to loose it, any help is MUCH APPRECIATED!
  • verucasaltverucasalt Member Posts: 4
    I'm having the same problem with my '02. It does the same thing as yours, but only the first time it is used during the day. It doesn't matter the temperature, amount of time 'warming up', amount of gas in the tank... I've had it at the dealership during the day several times and overnight 3 different times and they keep saying it doesn't happen to them. They can't get any codes. I'm so scared I'm going to get rear-ended or loose control of the steering with my little boy in the car that I don't want to drive it anymore! Has anyone had any luck fixing something like this? Please? :cry:
  • steelerfan7steelerfan7 Member Posts: 3
    I just replaced my battery and next day if I'm driving with the defrost on it stalls when stopped at light etc... also when in park and defrost is turned on power is reduced. Have a 2002 TB. It doesn't lose power when other climate control features are on only with the defroster.
    Thanks for any help.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    When the defroster is on the A/C compressor is engaged to dry the air. Sounds to me like the idle control is not working properly, causing the idle to slow when the compressor is engaged to the point that it will stall. I assume that when not idling all is well?
    WELL WHEN I WAS DRIVING WITH THE DEFROST ON IT SEEMED AS THOUGH THE ACCELERATION WAS CHANGING ON ITS OWN , (WASN'T CHANGING MY GAS PEDAL PRESSURE)
    THE ACCELERATION WOULD GO UP AND DOWN AS I DROVE .
    HOWEVER IT SEEMS FINE WHEN THE OTHER CLIMATE CONTROLS ARE ON, SUCH VENTED HEAT. ALSO NO PROB WHEN THE RADIO IS ON.
    THANKS FOR ANY HELP
    well we had the alernator checked and that seems to be fine so still no luck figuring out why my rpm's drop when the defrost is turned on in park and if i'm in drive at a stop light etc.. the car will stall. seems to be okay when not running the defroster any ideas out there.

thanks
  • ppilkingtonppilkington Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Trailblazer with a 4.2. It has been running like a champ, but yesterday morning i went to start it turned the key and everything came on, but no cranking. So i started reading on here what to look at. I changed the starter relay no luck. I went and bought a new ignition switch, and as i was pulling the column apart i tried to start it and it worked. So i tried to get it into drive but no luck, just stuck in park. No clicking when i hit the brakes or anything. So i went ahead and changed the Ignition Switch anyway got it all back together started fine. Tried to get it into drive, reverse, neutral, or anything and it will not budge. I shut it off after a couple of tries and then it did the not starting thing again. I tried unplugging the battery and leaving it all night. I can start it now, but still can't get it out of park.

I don't think that the ignition switch was bad i think something else is going on. No way that my brake switch and ignition went out over night. Anyone else have resolution to their issue. The truck seems to start kind of funny at first but idles and stays running.
  • leblanc5leblanc5 Member Posts: 3
    How did you resolve the problem? I'm having the same problem after changing the battery
  • ppilkingtonppilkington Member Posts: 2
    Just to update everyone. I just fixed the mess, i wasted a little money troublshooting but i got to the bottom of it. I replaced my ignition switch and relay, it started. Well 1 week later it started acting up again. I check my starter and the solenoid was acting up. I checked on the price of a new start because orielly's couldn't get just the solenoid. They were $185, so i called around and found a place that rebuilds starters and alts. Picked up a rebuilt solenoid for 20$. The problem is there are some torkex holding it on and they are right up against the casting. I got one out took it to MFA and got some Allen heads that would work and put them on it. Fixed trailblazer has been running good for 2 weeks now. I will keep you guys posted,
  • gonzofuldagonzofulda Member Posts: 2
    hi i have the same problem.i have a 2003 t blazer lt. i had the battery checked,even took it in the shop. they put it on a scope,they started twenty times and nothing. charged me 37.50 i was thinking it was a loose wire to starter or loose or bad relay
    well wouldnt you u know it the very next day it wouldnt start. to my luck this place was not open on the weekend. so the next time he told me to have it towed to the shop and he would take a look.yea ur right if i let it sit for a couple of hrs then it will fire up (strange). oh i glad to see that edmunds took the time to put this page together.
  • chakaman123chakaman123 Member Posts: 2
    my wifes 06 trail blazer every time we put gas in it you try to start it it will crank untill the auto start stops hold the pedal to the floor and it starts dont matter if you put 10 in it or fill it up now her gas gage works when it wants to any ideas
  • kbtkbt Member Posts: 27
    Our TB recently started not starting. No amount of waiting in between solves the problem. Radio, lights, displays all work, key turns but nothing happens, no click. Just doesn't start.

However, without fail, if you make a call on your cell phone while turning the key, it starts right up. We haven't needed it lately, so I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, but I'm trying to get a sense of what it could be before I go in.

Any clues why the cell phone does the trick?
    Is it at all possible that while your holding your phone you put different pressure on the key, such as holding at a different angle while turning it to start, than you do when you try starting it without using the phone? I ask because it may be possible the ignition switch is getting worn. Do you have a lot of weight hanging on the key?
  • noelmwaitenoelmwaite Member Posts: 1
    If it's only when you put gas in it could be a bad purge valve.
  • amyjo13amyjo13 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Trailblazer. Last night it started to idle funny. The rpms are normal then they slowly start to go way down the lights dim and just before it almost dies it gets a burst of power and the rpm's go back up to normal. I don't think it has anything to do with the defrost because I haven't had a problem with that until last night and I live up north and have been using my defrost for a month already. It stalled 2 times on the way to work this morning once when I was stopped at a stop light and teh second time when I slowed down to pull into my parking ramp at work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been told it maybe the fuel injections, oxygen sensor or fuel pump.
  • autodude45autodude45 Member Posts: 3
    I am have a problem starting my TB for the past 3 months. It sounds easy, but that could fool someone also. It starts fine after running around town all day long. 10 or 20 stops. But over night, (first start of the day) I have to crank it over 7 or 8 times before it will start and then again run fine all day long.
    Here is the kicker! On a FULL tank of gas it starts on the first or second try. On less than a half of tank it will take again 7 or 8 times before it starts. ( fuel pump or coolant temp. sensor or crank sensor???)
    Fuel filters been changed twice since and installed new platinum plugs. 130,000 miles and been kept real nice maintance wise. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

The Autodude @ Diagnose Car MisfiresThe Autodude @ Diagnose Car Misfires

Has the fuel pressure and delivery flow been checked? Normally, with cold start problems I suspect the cold start enrichment, but that fuel level symptom wouldn't have anything to do with that.
    You know that there was no TB in 2000 though, right? 2002 was the first year. They were introduced somewhat early in 2001, but still were a 2002 model.
    You know I heard that somewheres before on not being a trail blazer. Thats weird cause on my paper work it says 2000 Trail Blazer and the interior lining says Trail Blazer. On the emmissions decal under the hood it says 2000. Its a 4 wheel drive and 4.3 liter v6 -4 door.
    Anyways, good question on the fuel pump pressure. I heard this particular model has to be exactly on specs. If just 1 or 2 lbs. off it will not start! (no access to fuel pressure gage)
    Maybe the float level has somthing to do with it? (shorting somthing out) or maybe a pickup tube has a hole in it?
    The only other problem is an 02 sensor code keeps popping up and I have to erase it.
    Stumped in Kansas. lol

• knicklesknickles Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 Trailblazer EXT with 5.3 l. A problem started recently where the vehicle would act as if it had a battery going bad. You would put the key in the ignition, turn it and nothing would happen. I was if it had no power from the battery. The power level gets so low that many times you cant even remove the key from the ignition and none of the lights or anything work. If i hook jumper cables to it, all the power comes back it will start right up and run flawlessly and will show a full battery charge on the dash. It may go a day or a week or so before it does it again. I changed the battery 2 weeks ago and still did not fix the problem. Had starter and alternator checked and they showed that they were fine.
  • brownsugarjrrbrownsugarjrr Member Posts: 1
    i have a 04 tb it starts great except when i put gas any ideas?
  • robg10robg10 Member Posts: 2
    I'm at a loss. I turn the ignition, all the bells and whistles illuminate, but the engine won't turn over. Aside from that, the vehicle is locked in park, and when I depress the brake pedal, the shifter remains locked. I've tried to jump it, and nothing happens. Battery is good. Wondering if the problem lies within the theft deterrent system.
    Could be that. Also could be ignition switch, and there's other places it could be too. It's hard to pin it down without some troubleshooting. I think the first thing I would do is see if there's power getting to the starter solenoid when the ignition is turned to the start position.
  • robg10robg10 Member Posts: 2
    Removed the starter motor, had it tested and it was no good. Bought a new starter, installed it, and the engine fired right up. Checked to be sure I could shift out of "park", and I could. Turned engine off, and then attempted to restart the vehicle. No joy. Same problem I had earlier. I haven't removed the new starter, but I have a feeling it is dead now. I believe there might be some gremlins within the electrical system, unless an ignition switch could cause all of this. Current state: turn the key to on position, fuel pump engages, but engine will not turn over. Vehicle is stuck in "park", as I cannot depress the shift release button.
  • trailblazergaltrailblazergal Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer, my husband paid cash for, two years ago, for my 50th birthday.
    I have the stalling problem, amongst others.
    Last year, I almost lost my life on the freeway, when suddenly everything lit up and bells were ringing, my heart was pounding out of my chest and I pulled over to the side of the freeway, luckily, I was in the slow lane.
    Each time I take it in, and by the way, I am under warranty, they say they cannot, "Duplicate the stall", and send me home, Last week I took it in, as the gas gauge was bouncing around and they replaced a fuel sensor, when arrived home, the car's whole dash panel flashed, and lost all power WHILE IN DRIVE!
    At present, I have contacted attorneys for the lemon law, here in California. As my husband just died eight weeks ago, and I cannot afford to fix the car at all anymore, even still under warranty. I have also contacted Chevy. This IS not acceptable, since I am afraid to drive it now.
  • shrek1990shrek1990 Member Posts: 1
    mine still does it i put a new purge valve in and it still does it
  • mech101mech101 Member Posts: 1
    I just changed the SEVERELY cracked manifold in my 03 TB . I put in a new O2 sen. and it stalled twice on my way home . both while waiting at red lights . the only thing i can think of is that something went haywire when i disconnected the battery .... Q . is there a way to un retard the system ??????
  • rray21rray21 Member Posts: 1
    200k miles and running good with some engine miss. Changed rear disk pads, transmission screen and fluid, and spark plugs with new boots. Engine chug-a-lugged but would run and the service light blinked all the time. Removed the plugs to check and reset the springs in the boots. Engine ran even rougher. Replaced with AC Delco Ir plugs with the old ones and the old boots.
    Engine stalled after about ten more minutes of rough idling and now won't start at all. Computer(not the dealer one) says pass-no codes. Nothing to clear or reset.

Next, dead battery and wouldn't even take a jump. New battery is good and lights up everything.

Won't start. Tries to start then pops the champagne cork for sound effects.

Service engine light remains lit. As do I !-)

Where do I troubleshoot from here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

TB dead in the driveway for now!
  • moklyekmoklyek Member Posts: 1
    Possibly a bad starter relay switch.

On a TB with 6 cylinder engine, locate the fuse box which is next to the battery.

Remove the two plastic covers of the fuse box.
    The first (larger) cover has a diagram with the location of the fuses and switches.

(No.47) switch relay is top center in the fuse box, opposite end from where the positive/negative cables are connected into the fuse box.

Switch relay is square and gray color, sitting apart from other gray switches.

Remove (pull up on relay), then reinsert it back in same position.

TB started up right after that.
  • jagtxjagtx Member Posts: 2
    Replaced a bad alternator last week. Now it starts and charges fine but I have a new problem. The idle seems OK without out the A/C on, but goes crazy when I turn it on. It dies when I come to stops and sometimes speeds up when I take my foot off the gas going over 35mph. I've been driving it around without A/C on and have only noticed a couple of minor surges when parking. Does anyone know which fuses I should check or any other causes of this issue?
  • frustrated37frustrated37 Member Posts: 1
    First I have to say that I'm so glad I found this site. I have an 04 TB, 114,000 miles. Have had no problems until recently. I went out one morning and tried to start it. Nothing....no clicking no nothing. Thought it was the starter, but after a phone call to the mechanic and following some directions over the phone it was determined that it wasn't the starter, but the battery. Replaced the battery and now I have another problem all together. I can start the TB, drives fine, but when I turn the fan on for heat or cool air (not ac) then the RPM's drop to below half and it stalls out. Then if I'm driving and coming to a stop it does the same thing with the fan on. If I turn the fan off the RPM's drop but it doesn't stall. If I try the ac, it stalls. Can anyone please give me the answer on how to fix this problem?!! My mechanic can't figure it out and I need help. I'm a single mom with 2 kids and 2 jobs that I can't afford to lose!
    Thanks in advance. :cry: :confuse:
  • desertstorm01desertstorm01 Member Posts: 1
    Hay, Did you ever get your TB fix. I would like to know.
    It sounds like either a bad computer or your mechanic needs to go and look inside your idle air control circuit. When ever you activate your defrost or ac settings your computer is suppose to raise and lower your idle and keep it from dieing. :shades:

• 62cowman62cowman Member Posts: 1
    I also have 2000 chevy TRAIL BLAZER yes they made the trail blazer in 2000 and it will die going down the road but start right back up. I've only had this TB for two weeks and it's been at three shops and they all just scratch their head and say"Well I don't know". I had two fuel pumps put in it and no change. Everything else seems to work great ecept the radio now shows err instead of the time or station,have no idea if that meens anything. It still plays fine. I'm going to get it tommrow. So any ideas?
    In 2000 it was an S10 Blazer with the "trailblazer" option.
  • luvdieselluvdiesel Member Posts: 2
    I just joined looking for other TB user problems. I have the same A/C on car dies problem too. Just started when the battery would not charge. Bought new battery last weekend. Now idles great until i turn on the fan switch. Even if the A/c is off, the fan switch makes it vary in idle and usually stall, especially at stops. Definitely electric but what?
    Does the dealer have any real answers?
    Thanks
  • butch1017butch1017 Member Posts: 1
    What happens when the battery is replaced or cables disconnected, the on board computer loses its memory. When you start it up after new battery is installed, either the computer needs to be reprogrammed by a dealer or you can let it teach itself by driving it, starting and stopping often, turning the engine off, and restarting, this happened to me and it took me several days of driving to get the car back to normal. The quick fix is to take it to a dealer and have the computer reprogrammed with the correct parameters.

When you have the battery replaced, it is a good idea to have a second battery hooked up before disconnecting the bad battery. This way the computer will not lose its memory. Most reliable auto shops when replacing a battery will use this method when replacing the battery.

This happened to me and it took me several days of driving, starting, stopping before the computer reprogrammed itself. My trailblazer is now running fine. It is aggravating, to have to do it this way, but is cheaper than having the computer reprogrammed.
  • carmax21carmax21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Trailblazer LS that is giving me a headache! About 6 months ago it started hesitating to start on cold starts(by hesitate I mean I would have to turn the key and hold it for about 5-10 secs before it would start) and now it is doing it ALL the time. I had a tune up done already(new spark plugs and fuel filter), I had the battery replaced and the fuel regulator replaced. My mechanic is stumped too, we are debating whether to continue with replacing the starter or fuel pump next. Any input would be great thanks!!
    I suggest you take to someone who will actually troubleshoot and find the problem, instead of throwing parts at it like it sounds has been done. There's all kind of problems that can cause the symptoms you describe, from simple to complex.
    When you do get it started, how does it run? Smooth idle? Normal power?
  • keegankmrkeegankmr Member Posts: 1
    Recently (about a month ago) I purchased a 2003 trailblazer LT with 67000 miles, it had been driving great, until about a week ago. I go to start it and it cranks but will not catch. I leave it alone for about an hour I believe I try again and it starts right up and was fine for about a week. Then same thing happened this time I kept trying over and over to get it to start for about close to an hour and then finally I was able to get home. It just seemed odd that it trying to crank but will not catch almost like it wasnt getting fuel, Im going to have someone look at it but in the mean time was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what the problem could be? Thank you for any information
  • winston46winston46 Member Posts: 1
    I am glad to hear that I am not the only one having issues with my 2003 Trailblazer LT, over 100,000 miles. When trying to start the vehicle all of the lights will come on it will try to crank over but won't start, put in a new battery, turn the key and it still won't start on 1st try, may have to try 5 or 6 times before it will catch. and can't step on the gas because it acts like it will flood. When it starts finally, it runs fine. Anyone with any ideas what might be wrong, advice is appreciated.
  • printjockeyprintjockey Member Posts: 1
    Car would not start, check battery, found to weak to start car, had jumped. When home and removed and replaced with new battery, First start car almost stalled out but RPMs came up and idled fine. This morning started up fine but did same thing with idle. When drive would stall out unless put into neutral, idle still low.
    No check engine light (yet). But did have before (on and off) battery replaced.
    help!
  • luvdieselluvdiesel Member Posts: 2
    Mine has the same problem for the last 2 months. When the a/c is turned on at idle it stalls. Just other day it went away and now idles fine with the a/c on. ??????????????????????????????
    Idle air control valve? Over time, gunk builds up and they get sticky. I haven't had to service or replace the one on out TB, but I have on the Durango with about the same mileage.
  • autoacessgaragautoacessgarag Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Disconnecting your battery has allowed the PCM to reset to original factory default settings. Unfortunately, your throttle body is dirty, but you didn't know it until now because the PCM has been altering the way the engine runs to compensate for it.

Now that the computer thinks everything is great, it's not taking into account how dirty the Throttle Body is, and that's where your getting the bad idle.

Remove and clean the throttle body as soon as you can, (and yes, disconnect the battery while you do it again), and after it's all clean and you reconnect the battery, all should be well.:
    And...yes:

here's the "how to":
    http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=91
  • verucasaltverucasalt Member Posts: 4
    Lately every 4 or 5 starts my 2002 Trailblazer won't turn over at all. Power locks don't work, can't pull key out of ignition, and buzzing sound comes through speakers. Also a noise coming from back seat fuse box. (Not sure if it's related, but the temp/compass display went out a couple weeks ago.) I can't manually lock the door when this happens either. I've checked the fuses, DH replaced the ignition switch. Any other ideas? Right now I just want to whack it with a baseball bat. :mad:
  • mykewmykew Member Posts: 1
    If your still having the problem, replace your ignition switch.
  • engrjamengrjam Member Posts: 2
    any answer to this I have the same issue!!
  • takincare_1takincare_1 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Does anyone have this problem? turn ign key to start, solenoid clicks, turn key off and try again. Nothing. No dash lights and key stuck in ign. I jiggle wires down by starter and/or remove postive batt terminal, replace postive batt terminal and then dash lights and eventually engine starts. TB does this more often that it used to. If you have had this exp. let me know what to do.