Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Start Stall and Idle Problems

13»

Comments

• verucasaltverucasalt Member Posts: 4
    I have to tighten the battery terminals every few days. Don't ask me why they always come loose, but that seems to be the problem. :lemon:
  • 02_blue_ltz02_blue_ltz Member Posts: 1
    You may have a bad cell in your battery. I had a similar issue a few years ago and ended up replacing with an Optima battery and have not had any battery related problems since.
  • rclearyrcleary Member Posts: 2
    if your t/b hasn't already "fixed" itself, try disconnecting the negative battery cable for ten minutes. be sure ALL accessories are off. reconnect the negative cable, and let engine idle for at least 10 minutes while all the computers read their sensors and 'talk' to each other. this goes for all posts involving recent battery change outs, or disconnecting for anything over 2 or 3 minutes. hope this helps
    ;)
  • rclearyrcleary Member Posts: 2
    some others like this were ok after the ignition switch was replaced. heavy keychains can cause damage to the switch. suggest separating keys, etc so you have 2 sets, one for house and car remote, the other for car keys only. this also reduces the possibility of locking your remote in with your keys. part $50, labor $100. new ones at gm have been updated. hope this helps several posters. :)
  • tiffanyb1tiffanyb1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Trailblazer and I had the same problem.. I had to have the battery replaced and it started doing that.. We figured out the problem an 04 doesnt have a memory saver on the battery so the cheap way to fix it is to take the throttle body off and clean it. Because it has no memory saver when we took the battery off it made the car think it was brand new. a memory saver is like $100.. But ever since we cleaned the throttle body we havent had any other problems.. We got this information from a dealership..
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The memory savers I've seen are little 9 volt battery gizmos that plug into a powerport. Haven't looked lately but I remember seeing them for around $15 and up. Good mechanics use them so you won't lose your computer settings or radio settings when the battery is disconnected for whatever reason.
  • ksperleksperle Member Posts: 1
    My trailblazer is doing the very exact thing you describe...did you ever conclude what the problem was?? HELP
  • verucasaltverucasalt Member Posts: 4
    I have to clean and tighten the battery terminals often. I keep a wrench in the car for just that reason.
  • jumpingjack1jumpingjack1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 trailblazer and it has had a similar problem for years and no one has been able to solve it. tkazee, did you ever figure this out? My car starts fine when it's cold and fine just after it was shut off. But if the engine is hot and you stop for 10-15 minutes, it acts flooded and won't start. Then I must wait until the engine is cool and it starts. If I can get it started when it acts flooded it will sputter and miss for a bit (as if flooded) until it finally runs right. Anyone have the answer?
  • marko70marko70 Member Posts: 1
    Air conditioning works well but when slowing down to a stop at idle, it will stall out or idle up and down and try to stall out is this a vaccum or a carbon build up problem?

Thanks Mark
  • booner10booner10 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 trailblazer died while driving and now the engine won't roll over. My starter relay will not kick in but the relay is good and I bypassed the relay with the ignition switch in the run position and rolled the engine over but no fuel or fire, and yes the ignition switch is good. Is it the PCM?
  • c4rc4r Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get your problem fixed or did it go over the cliff...?

I have a 2004 @ 80k that is developing a rough idle.. just changed the air filter and want to change the oil and include some ProLong.. I use in my C-cars.

Just wondering where we are headed here...
  • jumpingjack1jumpingjack1 Member Posts: 2
    We did not solve the Trailblazer problem. We did learn that the compression is a little low, but the wet test compression is normal, so the loss seems to be in the pistons. However, it does not use much oil. I have been adding Marvel Miracle Oil to the gas and it runs better. My solution for now is to keep driving it.

This car also seems to have a history of a vacuum leak at the top of the gas tank. We replaced all those parts, but the rough idle did not go away.
  • insuroneinsurone Member Posts: 1
    take the throttle body off and clean it, took care of my same problem, I would pull up to a stop light and the engine would die. Now it runs great. 180,000
  • lmtb2006lmtb2006 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem but without the air. I only have the problem when it very cold out. Starts right up, runs, then the idle decrease and stalls. Starts back up and after a few times and once it's warmed up, it runs fine. Only in the winter and when it's below freezing. Had the throttle body cleaned. Have had a vapor code on for years but told it's not connected. Any ideas? 2006
  • wbradbury1wbradbury1 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013

i have a 1999 chevy trailblazer,4.3.it crank over but will not fire up ,replaced fuel filter it started right up . drove it 5 or 6 times now it is back to not starting up.