Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• cat_and_bearcat_and_bear Member Posts: 67
    If you can hear the groan from all 4 wheels, then I will say probably you got something sticky under. Lift up the car, wash the chassis with high pressure water *selectively* then lube the joins and anti roll bars.

-bear
  • joe_sinjoe_sin Member Posts: 32
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Unfortunately, my problem seems to fall between the cracks in every case.

I can be pretty sure it's not the undercoating, since I get the smell by putting my nose up to the tailpipe (no fun, that).

It's probably not a clogged converter, since I still have good power and acceleration.

If the new converter were bad, it should have failed the same test that detected the first faulty converter.

The car's an automatic, so it's not the clutch.

The smell is intermittent, so of course it's a pain to diagnose. If it were continuous, it would show up in the emissions. All of the car's sensors check out, as does the ECU (says the mechanic). He seemed forthcoming with information, and described a pretty complete battery of tests.

The last thing I can think of is to pull the ECU fuse and reset it. If the ECU has been "trained" for the previous defective converter, it might need to relearn the engine. This is the only thing I can think of that I can try myself.

After that, I'll have to bring it to an independent mechanic, which I'm loathe to do with a car under warranty.

Any other suggestions gratefully received...
  • cat_and_bearcat_and_bear Member Posts: 67
    Resetting the ECU is a good idea. The exhaust definitely is too fuel rich. The new converter will die sooner or later with this. If the problem does not go away, I will look for another dealer for a detailed checking (ECU, timing, plugs, fuel pressure, oxygen sensor, fuel injector, check valve...etc) or go find a good mechanic. I still feel there was somehing wrong in your car which killed the first converter. If you do not fix it, your second one will die, too. Good luck.

-bear
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I finally had the opportunity to test drive a new Forester last weekend and thought I would pass along a few impressions.

I drove a XS automatic, because they had no 5-speeds "prepped" yet. The gated shifter would take a little getting used to. I had to be rather deliberate to snake the shifter from park to drive. Otherwise the automatic drove like, well... an automatic (I much prefer a stick).

This particular Forester was silver, and as an XS, it had "steel" metallic grey cladding (just a few shades darker than the silver) VERY-sharp looking. Parked next to a 2002 Forester S in candy-red (nice color), it was no contest. The 2003 (IMHO) is a much nicer looking vehicle.

I didn't have time to do an extensive feature-by-feature comparison, but I did notice that the 2003 was lacking the "rub-strips" on the roof to protect the finish from items loaded directly on the roof (as opposed to suspended above it on the rack). Disadvantage: less utility. Advantage: easier to wash, reduced wind-resistance, and lower center of gravity (ok, I'm kidding, sorta).

Interiors: I'd give the nod to the 2003: nicer control layout, and I liked the vinyl-trimmed seats (that some people found strange) better than the VERY soft-fuzzy velure on the 2002.

Driving experience: the drive was brief, in semi-rush-hour traffic, and accompanied by a sales guy, so I didn't have the chance to really experience the "joy of all-wheel drive". It did seem solid and capable. I had never driven a Forester before (just Legacys) and I was surprised by the amount of (rear wheel) tire noise! Compared to my 12 year old Nissan pickup, there was less wind noise, but significanty more road noise.

Now I have to go back and drive a Legacy wagon. I may find that it suits me better.

For what it's worth. - james
  • recumbentdanrecumbentdan Member Posts: 12
    OregonBoy wrote:
    > This particular Forester was silver, and as an
    > XS, it had "steel" metallic grey cladding (just
    > a few shades darker than the silver) VERY-sharp
    > looking. Parked next to a 2002 Forester S in
    > candy-red (nice color), it was no contest. The
    > 2003 (IMHO) is a much nicer looking vehicle.

I agree. I think the 2003 looks sharp. When parked side by side, the '03 makes the '02 look frumpy - the perfect vehicle for a bureaucrat. When I look at the '02, here's what I can hear in the back of my mind: "Hrumpf, hrumpf, let me check my procedure manual."

Beauty is a matter of personal taste, so your opinion may vary.

- recumbentdan
  • sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    Since this site is "powered" by Edmunds how about getting things in gear and updating the new car page!!
    The 2002 Forester is still the only model listed and it would be nice, to say the least, if we could do some comparison shopping on the 2003s before the 2004s hit the market!!
    O.K. I feel better now..
    Thanks
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    is this cross posted to the Forester board?

Ross
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That message was "spammed" all over Town Hall tonight. Guess the member had a bad experience and wanted everyone to know about it. Gone now :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dlttysondlttyson Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Forester L that I bought used in January 2002. I had the same hesitation problem and it got worse. While out of town (NC), it got so bad that I took to dealership. "Road tested and verified slight hesitation on acceleration. Check for DTC's. None in System found. Got fuel sample, ran pressure test. Unable to find any problems. Possible trash in fuel line or bad gas. Recommend Customer take vehicle to selling dealer if problem persists." Of course the Forester still hesitated. But the next day the check engine light came on. Drove home and took to my dealership. Guess they found something in the computer because they replace the Air Fuel Ratio Sensor 1.0.UGP38. Forester is having no hesitation problem so far. This has all happened in the last month. Don't know if this helps anyone out there of not but felt I should post. Normally I am just a ready of the boards. Thanks.
  • amyashamyash Member Posts: 12
    I brought it in for installation of the extended armrest & rear diff protector yesterday and saw a bunch o' 2003s at the dealer.

I really, really like the updated design (esp. in silver w/black cladding), but the salesman said that they were selling at MSRP (even tho I told him dealers on line and in Ca. were selling for a few hundred over dealer invoice), he also said that there were no financing incentives, i.e., the best financing that is offered by Subaru on the 2003 is 6.9 or 7.9%.

Oh well...guess I'll be looking forward to the 2012 (or so) design ; )
  • boba6boba6 Member Posts: 18
    After lurking on this and other boards for a while, I just bought a 2002 S. Good price, good financing. Still have time to decide whether to get into the extended warranty (I think Subaru calls it "added security"; not thinking about any kind of warranty other than the manufacturer based extension). Based on my driving patterns, I'd be looking at the 6 year, 100K options. Any experience? Anybody bought it and wished they hadn't? Didn't and wished they did? Is the classic level enough, or would you lean to the gold? How do repair costs look on the sort of things that can go wrong in 100K? Any arguments about coverage under one of the plans? I anticipate keeping to the stated maintenance schedule as the dealer is very near my house and would be convenient for repairs. The dealer is offering 15% off any plan; is that standard? Anyway, that's a lot of questions but any and all information is appreciated. Thanks.
    Bob A.
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    if you decide to buy one, definitely go for Subaru Gold. I'm such a person who likes a piece of mind, so I buy extended warranties on cars, high-end TVs, washer/dryers etc. Over time, I sort of break even. Some items work like a charm, and warranty is wasted, other times it pays for itself 3 times over.

Right now, I have Check Engine light on my Forester 2001 S, and it feels good that I have Gold plan from Subaru: I can drop by a dealer, and have it fixed at no cost.

Check this site out:

http://www.subaruwarranty.com/GoldPlan.htm

• p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Bob A- If you check back thru previous posts in this and other Subaru topics (Edmund's, where's that search function you promised?) you'll find numerous posts listing the pros and cons of extended warranties. And yes there are good arguments both for and against. The bottom line is whether the added cost is worth the additional peace of mind and only you can be the judge of that. FYI you should be able to do better than 15% off. The price is certainly negotiable and some buyers have reported getting closer to 40-50% off the "list" price (though there's no guarantee you'll do that well). Also, you don't have to buy an extended warranty now. You can purchase Subaru's plan at anytime during the basic manufacturer 3/36k warranty period.

-Frank P.
  • harcoopharcoop Member Posts: 1
    Having recently read a complaint or two concerning some Foresters' disappointing gas mileage, I just thought I'd throw in my recent experience with gas mileage. Last month I bought a 2002 Forester S Premium 5sp. to replace my 16 year old Mazda Pickup, which had finally given up. I was a little concerned, at first, about not getting that great gas mileage I was used to with the Mazda, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised to get an average of 26 miles per gallon, mixed driving. Last week I took a 300 mile trip through northern New England, about half highway and the rest mountainous, winding, lesser roads and got an incredible 30.5 miles per gallon. Not too shabby for 4 wheel drive. The only option I had added to my Forester was a bug deflector. Aside from the manual transmission, could this make a difference?
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    I have had similar MPG experience under similar, if more western, conditions. Best MPG on a somewhat hilly Interstate drive (about 220 miles): 32.8. Overall average so far, 26.7, and that's mixed -- plenty of city driving. Pure city coming in at 19 to 22 MPG.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    03'Foresters at my dealer yesterday. I really applaud Subaru on the artful redesign. It really freshens up the make w/o alienating the styling features that folks seem to like. The more and more I see the 03's, the more I like. I have to agree w/someone's post of few posts back that the 03'redesign makes the 02's look kind of frumpy.
    Also, it may be my imagination but the 03's look as if they have noticeably higher ground clearance, especially from a rear view.

Stephen
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I gotta go try an '03, but I'm afraid I'll like it! LOL

Host: thanks for eliminating that troll's cross post.

I think I'm going to get a Gold warranty for the new Legacy. Even reliable cars can be pricey to fix, and it only takes 1-2 things gone wrong to recover the costs.

Our 626, for example, is still one of CR's top rated sedans, yet we forked out over $2 grand in repairs just during years 6 and 7 of ownership. An extended warranty would have been half as much.

Plus, you get red carpet treatment from the dealer, and roadside assistance for the duration of the warranty. AAA was costing us $71 per year, so getting those 4 extra years (3 years are standard) saves us $284 right there.

-juice
  • kajkokajko Member Posts: 70
    This is a great discussion list and I have already read most of the >6000 messages. thank you.

I am itching to get a 2003MY because it seems perfect, MPG being the top of my list, but am concerned about the ruggedness of the Forester (I would be selling my Toyota Tacoma 4WD). it seems in Australia Foresters get low gearing and there are plenty of accessories (skid plates,etc.) but nothing in the USA. are there ppl here who have added some basic undercarriage protection and/or used isrperformance to beef-up the suspension??

some would say that I should stick w/ true off-roader, but here in New Mexico most roads can be handled with high clearance and some skid plates. i know i will really enjoy the MPG in the city and on the highway.

from the photos i saw (more on the net everyday) it doesn't look like the 2003MY having larger entry/departure angles. Anyone has the official specs yet??

tom
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    << This is a great discussion list and I have already read most of the >6000 messages. >>

You have to be nuts... You'll fit right in here! ;)

Bob
  • roadrunner69roadrunner69 Member Posts: 4
    While waiting for the inevitable drop in pricing I thought I would solicit advice on a couple of options for the '03 Forester. Since my preference for leather and two-tone body color are mutually exclusive I was wondering what experiences people have had with after market leather (and factory leather as well)? Finally, having never had a car with a sunroof what are the pros/cons of the large Subaru sunroof? Thanks to everyone for my ongoing education!
    I've seen a very good example of aftermarket leather on a 5 speed Premium (N/A with factory leather). It even had the SRS logo on the side.

Maybe tom remembers the brand name since he just read the 6000 posts and I mentioned it back when I saw it! :-)

The large moonroof is perfect, it's created by God Himself, get it and don't look back!

Just kidding, I think noise is one trade-off Bob has mentioned. Also, it doesn't tilt up for venting, it only retracts.

tom: I have the factory rear skid plate, installed it myself. It protects the rear diffy and part of the rear half shafts, which are well tucked under anyway.

The lowest portion of the body is the front cross member below the engine. In front of that, I'd get a Primitive skid plate to replace the plastic factory one, for a couple hundred. Then maybe the taller springs if you need it. The under side is relatively "clean" in that nothing hangs down too low to get snagged. The strut suspension is very nice in that way.

People that get 2" lifts are generally fine and love it. The ones that go too far and add spacers, huge tires, lift kits as well as those springs, they have tranny teething issues. So don't go too crazy!

-juice
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    I just added an auto dimming compass/mirror to my '02 L 5sp (16K miles). After following the directions to Disconnect the battery, reconnect and reset the clock and Radio presets, 2 Issues I have had, AND addressed at the dealer, AND was told I had to live with have DISAPPEARED as the ECU "re-trains" itself. Mild "popping" or backfire during shifts 1>2, or 2>3 are gone. ALSO when pulling out, engine cold or warm, the "bucking" as I let out the clutch has also Disappeared. Don't know if this phenomena will last (hope it does), or what it will do immediately to my gas mileage. But for 4 days now, it has been a different car(GOOD DIFFERENT). I have to see if this is a long term fix. Hope this may help others....
  • Aura74Aura74 Member Posts: 2
    Just got the car back from the shop after oil change. The mechanic didn't fill any coolant. In fact, it is at 'low level'. I'm planning to go for a > 1000 mile trip! Should I keep some coolant handy. Can I add water. I don't even know what kind of coolant the mechanic has been using!

Any suggestions!
  • the_schlepperthe_schlepper Member Posts: 14
    Hi!

I have been lurking on the board for about a year and thanks for all of the useful information.

I was thinking of either the CRV, RAV or the Forester. The two reasons I went with the '02 S+ (Sedona Red) was that the rear door opens up and not sideways and that the spare is not hanging on the rear (A friend has a RAV and likes it except for the fact that the door opens out).

Anyway, since I live in SUNNY So. Cal, I plan on getting my windows tinted and one place quoted me $175 for all 7 windows (Limo on cargo and back windows, 15% on the rear and 35% on the front side windows, metallic tint w/ lifetime warranty). Is this a good tint solution or should any of the windows have a different tint on them. Also, is this a good price and has anyone had problems with metallic tint.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone has a great 3 day weekend!

Marsha
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    I just had my windows tinted and picked the Forester up today.
    After some debating I went with metallic tint with 36% on the front driver and passenger windows and 21% on the rest. It is in a dark shade kind of hard to describe not really black and not brown sort of in between. The windshield of course is as it came from the factory.
    I am glad I didn't go darker as it seems just right. I can see very well from inside and I don't think I'll have a problem with the local police. It cost me a little more than what you posted but the job looks good and sets the car off very nicely. By the way the Forester is an 02 Platinum Silver
    Hope this helps.
    Gene
    Glad to hear the ECU reset worked. :-)

For coolant, use the "green" colored stuff, i.e. your basic Prestone mixed 50% with distilled water (not tap).

Marsha: that price sounds fair for metallic film, but ask to see a finished job, or for a reference. Installation means everything. Look for bubbles, peeling, streaks, etc.

-juice
  • jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    After many hours of research and deliberation and basic obsessive-compulsive behavior, I picked up an '02 Forester L auto in silver.

The '03 wasn't really an option due to financial constraints. Actually I'm lucky that the '02 cars are being so deeply discounted to make way for the '03s. Otherwise I might be driving an Accord right now!

I want to weigh in briefly on the styling discussion between the '02 and '03. I bought the '02 because I've admired the looks and practicality of the Forester for a long time and I got a great deal ($833 below invoice). I'm also the type of person who hates to pay for last year's model. Because of this, I took a long look at several '03s on the dealer's lot. While the car is attractive, I don't feel that the car's new look is worth paying a premium for. Actually, I felt a great sense of relief looking at the '03, because I knew I wasn't going to lament going with the '02.

For those who call the '02 "frumpy," I disagree. I call it upright, clean and sporty. I think the '03 looks more like a station wagon than the '02, and an angry one at that. Still it's a nice looking vehicle.

Be assured that having an '02 with under 200 miles on it in the driveway right now has NOTHING to do with my opinion on this matter. Really. No, really!

Thanks to everyone on this board for making this forum useful, entertaining and virtually conflict-free. Guess I'll stick around.

-jim
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    Welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy your 2002 as much as I've enjoyed my 2001 for the last 2 years. Rufus remains the best vehicle I've ever owned - total reliability and fun to drive. Please do stick around.

Ross
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    Welcome to the Crew. I agree that the 1st generation Foresters, while a little unconventional, are not "frumpy". Guess that describes me as well. My '99 "S" (silver color) has been great and is aging gracefully. The silver Foresters are among the best looking. I still enjoy it with 98,000 miles and am planning to hold off until the 3rd generation Forester if I can! We'll see...

John
  • peterson10peterson10 Member Posts: 116
    My 02 L also has the occasional mild backfire between 1>2 (less often between 2>3). I posted re. this last year but got the impression that nobody else had the same problem. The problem, understandably, is most apt to occur during hard (fun) acceleration/shifting. I can't pinpoint the cause, and its not reproducable enough to get the service dept. involved, so I'm wondering about resetting the ECU.

Michael,
    has your "mild popping" gone away (stayed away) after resetting the ECU?

thanks for any, all advice,
    YetAnotherDave
    driving a new silver '03 Forester XS premium 5-speed! I drove our '01 Forester to the dealer, so that I could make easy cross comparisons. Here's what I found:

&#149; It's much more refined than our Forester. No news there...

&#149; The auto open/close moonroof works in the same fashion as ours. When you open it, it goes about 4/5 open, then you have to hit the switch again to make it open all the way. Same with closing; you hit the switch, and it stops about 1/5 from closed, then you hit the switch again.

&#149; The moonroof, when open seems to be a tad quieter than my '01 model. Still not as quiet as my Explorer, however.

&#149; Hill-Holder clutch works as advertised. Why more cars don't offer this feature, is a complete mystery.

&#149; Wished for more power, although I did have the AC on, and the area I was driving was somewhat hilly. Still...

&#149; the one I drove had the center armrest extension. This very nice, and I would definitely order it. It's perfectly positioned for shifting, while resting your arm on it.

&#149; Back of front seats have been "scooped" out for additional leg room. When I adjusted the front seat for me, then moved to the rear seat, I had plenty of leg room.

&#149; All-in-all, a very nice upgrade from my '01 model.

Bob
    I was startled to discover that I had gotten 24.172 MPG with only stoplight to stoplight driving here in la Cuidad de las Cruces -- strictly ciudad driving, in other words. No traffic jam stuff, just there-and-back noodling with the usual stop and go. COnversely, I must hasten to point out that this was on 41.6 miles of driving and 1.721 gallons of gas -- we just got back from vacation and I had not driven the Subaru much in the meantime. I filled up to get a dollar off on my much needed carwash (Spring Wind Season here Southern NM).
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    "Back of front seats have been "scooped" out for additional leg room."

Aha! That's where the extra legroom comes from (since the measurements previously posted here didn't seem to bear out much legroom).

I assume the scooping doesn't seem to have affected the frame of the seat, which would be on the outer rim of the seat (the part that's not scooped out).

Regarding the 1/5 moonroof stop when it closes, is that because the moonroof doesn't have "pinch protection"? (Not that a lot of folks would have their fingers up there.)
  • gherman131313gherman131313 Member Posts: 17
    Just picked up my 2003 Forester 2.5 X Automatic, Platinum Silver/Text Gray. The details:

Had been interested in the new 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5S.. thought it looked cool and could be had for around 18.5K. But after a test drive, all I could think was 'rental car fleet'.. mushy steering, cheap plastic interior, etc.

Was intrigued by the revamped 2003 Forester.. thought it looked more aggressive than previous models

Called every Subaru dealer in South Jersey.. visited their websites to check what was in stock.. some said "nothing below MSRP.. the new Foresters are in such hot demand'.. one dealer was willing to knock $600 off the MSRP of $22,533 (includes air filtration kit, cargo net, auto dimming mirror-compass, custom tailpipe cover and security system upgrade.)

Finally found my Forester at Martin Subaru in Sicklerville NJ.. internet sales manager Karl Fulton.. got it for about $400 over invoice.. $20,800.

Have only had it one day.. already can't wait to drive it some more.. Subaru is gonna sell zillions of these new Foresters.

(and no this isn't Karl!)

Gary
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Answer to Yet-another-Dave Peterson.....5 days now, and only 130 miles (I usually do that in 1 morning, but I have been "near Home this week"), and to answer your question, Yes so far, re setting the ECU has Stopped-The-Pop. But starting out now, the engine doesn't seem to act so "starved" and pulls away smoothly as if it were running too lean before. As I stated, I hope this doesn't adversely affect my fuel mileage.
    Maybe one of the Automatic Owners should try this for their "Step on the gas and Stall then Lunge Forward problem". Then Post back to let others know.
    << I assume the scooping doesn't seem to have affected the frame of the seat, which would be on the outer rim of the seat (the part that's not scooped out). >>

Not at all. The "scooping" goes the full width of the seat. The top part of the seat is not scooped.

<< Regarding the 1/5 moonroof stop when it closes, is that because the moonroof doesn't have "pinch protection"? (Not that a lot of folks would have their fingers up there.) >>

That "is" the pinch protection. My '01 model has the same feature. The difference with the '03 model is you don't have to hold the button, as it is now has an "auto" feature for opening and closing.

Bob
  • dt63944dt63944 Member Posts: 66
    I own a 1999 Forester S and am replacing it with an 03 XS Premium in about a month. I agree in part with "ateixeira"'s comment that 1-2 fixes under the extended warranty period will just about pay for the warranty. This is based on my experience: at 52,000 miles I had to have the air flow meter changed (the dreaded Check Engine Light came on...). It cost me about $450. My driving pattern suggests I get the 6 yr/100K plan. At subaruwarranty.com, $0 deductible, that will be about $1200. It would not surprise me to have something else in the $500 range go wrong within the 3-6 yr timeframe, so that puts it close to the cost of the extended warranty. So...is it worth the cost? I'd say yes, if you want the peace of mind and are sure that you are going to keep the car for the duration of the extended warranty. I know that the Gold Plan also allows for pro rata refunds if the plan is cancelled. I got a letter from Subaru that described their plans and a number that was good at that time was 800-932-0636 for more information 9-5 Eastern time. It is very important to know what is NOT covered by the plan(s)!
  • kowskikowski Member Posts: 6
    Hi people I am considering purchasing a 03 Forester ES which I drove the other day. Very impressive vehicle. Dealer said I could have it for 500 over invoice. Not bad since they just came out. One question about the moonroof. Anybody ever have any problems with these roofs leaking? That has always been ssomething I have against those roofs. Can somebody shed some light on this. Thank you.
    As to moonroofs leaking, I've never had that problem with any of the moonroof-equipped cars that I've owned over the years, including my '01 Forester S Premium. It's a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned.

Bob
  • synthiasynthia Member Posts: 10
    Hello all! I have been looking at the Foresters since last summer and decided to wait for the 2003s. I just drove the 2.5 XS yesterday and loved it! The seats are much more comfortable and it handles better than the 2002.

Now I am starting all the homework to get pricing, warranty info, etc. So far I have only been able to find 2002 dealer cost info on the internet. Can anybody tell me where to find the 2003 info?

Thanks!
    a question for you:

When I test drove a new XS yesterday, I had trouble figuring out the "auto" climate control. Can you "manually," without using the "auto" function, control either fresh air or air conditioning? From what I saw, it seemed like you had to have it on "auto" to get it to work. Am I wrong (I hope am!)? I couldn't figure out how to get fresh air, without having the AC on.

Bob
  • gregoreargregorear Member Posts: 5
    Comments for the Subaru team:

I didn't notice any real difference in the driving (perhaps a little more hesitation than the 2002?). It was 90 degrees, and the demo model's AC wasn't working (Java Black!), so we had all the windows down and the roof open all the way. Boy was it windy! Also, the infamous "check engine" light was flashing.

I wish there was an "adult override" on the rear windows so I could put them down all the way if I want. It's silly to have them permanently in "kid mode". Can I take apart the doors and remove something so they go all the way?

Why, oh why, on a left-hand-drive vehicle is the gas filler on the right? If I buy one of these, I'm going to be cringing every time I fill up, that I don't scrape the right side of the car. I've been driving my Accord for 13 years, and know EXACTLY how big it is, but even so, the filler is on the left where I can see it.

I think the monotone paint looks boring. While I like the features of the upper-end model, I like the two-tone and color options on the lower end model. Why only red, white, black, silver, and that icky gold? Why not blue and green as well? Seems kind of dumb to limit the customer's paint choices. Are they available as a custom order? I also think the body cladding would give me less heartache when I get my first ding. Or maybe I'll just have to spring for all the protection groups.
    Sounds like you better buy something else.

I went from an Accord to a Forester and I'm happy as a clam. But you sound like someone who needs something other than a Forester.
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Synthia-- Most of us know that Edmunds has the most accurate figures for reporting invoice prices but they do not yet have their information pages up yet for the 2003 Forester. image

The only place so far that I've been able to find invoice pricing for the 2003 Forester is carsdirect.com. (www.carsdirect.com) It also has the most detailed spec. sheet of any site that I've found on the internet so far. Click ...don't know if that link will work or not but you can navigate to it once on the site. Crew members: can any of you confirm that those specifications are accurate? Beware: all the pics that carsdirect are using are of the 2002 model but their configuration pages seem to reflect the 2003 specifications.

--'rocco
  • barkasy1barkasy1 Member Posts: 44
    Hiya All,

Can anyone tell me where I can find Invoice Prices on the 2003 Forester? Edmunds is not updated yet. My wife wants one (We still need to do a test drive) and I don't want to visit the dealer unarmed.

Thx All,
    Dave ;^)
    Dave-- read my post above yours.

--'rocco
    I think both your ships are passing in the night :-)

Steve
    Host
    Okay Steve ...so what's up with Edmunds not updating their Forester information???? Can you talk to somebody about that?

Thanks!

--'rocco
    I could (ok I will), but I think it's even better if you guys use our Feedback Form.

Steve
    Host
  • marcobmarcob Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I posted this question awhile back, but didn't get a response. Maybe no one else has this problem or minds it. Anyway, thought I'd try again...

We have a silver '01 Forester which we still love. The only thing I don't like about it (and most other vehicles with a rear wiper) is the dark streak that runs down the tailgate from the base of the wiper arm. Any suggestions for prevention? Is there anything we can put on the rubber? It really looks ugly against the otherwise sharp-looking silver.

Thanks!
    Sandra
This discussion has been closed.