Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 3 Tire & Wheel Questions

Comments

• tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Looking for advice for a Winter snow tire for a Mazdaspeed3.
    I need a rim and tire package and normally run Nokian tires but will need the tires shipped to me as the local Nokian is expensive for rims so figure I might as well go
    with a Tire rack package then switch over to Nokian tires later on.
    We get a mix of every kind of nasty weather so you never know what it will be doing outside and I travel all over NH, Maine and Massachusetts.
    The Speed3 has a lot of power running through the front wheels so that will probably make a difference.
    I'm used to AWD and dedicated snow tires.
    Some friends suggested Michelin X-Ice tires my concern is when the roads clear up they are fairly dry until the next storm.
    Was going to get Nokian WRG2's but they are more an all season tire. All that power through the front end might overwhelm them.
    I guess I can just buy rims and Nokian tires and spend more money but was hoping for a Tire Rack purchase
    just due to ease of buying.
    Any suggestions especially on tires? Thanks
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Canadians know something about winter. You may find the APA (Automobile Protection Association) site interesting: www.apa.ca

In their "Info Centre" they have a page of recommended winter tires. The top three winter tires are Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5, Toyo Observe GO2+, and the Dunlop Graspic DS2. The Michelin X-Ice is listed in the "better than average" category.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Canadians know something about winter. You may find the APA (Automobile Protection Association) site interesting: www.apa.ca
    In their "Info Centre" they have a page of recommended winter tires. The top three winter tires are Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5, Toyo Observe GO2+, and the Dunlop Graspic DS2. The Michelin X-Ice is listed in the "better than average" category

They sure do, best winter driving tips around are on one of the Canadian sites I have. I've driven a long time in winter and love the Nokian tires but they tend to wear very fast when the roads are bare and I burn them up fast. I live about 4.5 hours outside of Montreal (Sud)
    The Hakka 5's are replacements for the Hakka 1's which are an awesome winter tire. I bought Hakka Q's because they were more than a match for the weather here but I want a better balance of bare road and snowy slick icy wintry mix weather that we get and still get something that will last on the dry roads.
    I was hoping the Nokian WRG2's would work but they are so new.
    I'll check out the tires you mention for certain. Thanks :)
  • m3fan3m3fan3 Member Posts: 27
    I'm actually not sure how the dealer found out which sensor. He probably did it through a diagnostic check because i got the car back in like 15 minutes and I don't think it would take 15 minutes to take four tires off the wheels. Also this whole thing happened exactly 2 years ago and after that nothing ever happened regarding the TPMS system, even after my tires were replaced.
  • zatwellzatwell Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying some steel wheels with winter tires and was wondering if you had an update.

Did you try installing wheels without the TPMS sensors? If so, what happened? Is that idiot light beeping non-stop? Or does it just beep once, light flashing briefly, and then stays lit when you have wheels that don't have TPMS sensors?

Thanks!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Or does it just beep once, light flashing briefly, and then stays lit when you have wheels that don't have TPMS sensors?

Yes.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• bluebayoubluebayou Member Posts: 60
    To tell you the truth, I'm not sure it even beeps once. The "dinger" on this car is so quite that I rarely hear it.

None the less, it might beep once. Then it flashes for a couple of minutes then it stays on. It has not bothered me one bit. Any annoyance would be offset by the $300 savings for the TPMS. I'm not a big fan of that stuff anyway. Just like the stability control..... that stuff just irks me to no end. Hope this helps.

If you think that the light would bother you, I am sure you could get some black vinyl and cut a littl circle out to cover the light.

Happy snow running. The car is awesome with some good tires on it. The RSA are really bad in the snow.
  • cainandabelcainandabel Member Posts: 3
    Im new to this, so bare with me.

i have a 06 mazda 3

Q: Will 18'' CX7 tires and rims fit on a 2006 mazda 3 or while i need to modify it in anyway?
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    Check out mazda3forums.com , wheels/tires section. Some members there have installed the CX-7 rims, but you might have rubbing issues.
  • jfa1jfa1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a mazda 3 hatch with 205/50-17's. I'm thinking about getting new wheels and tires to improve my snow handling. Now I know I can reduce the diameter of the wheels to a 16" rim, but is it possible to reduce the width as well? Something under the standard 6.5"?
    Or if that is not possible, how thin a tire could I put on 6.5" rim?
  • mazda3owner3mazda3owner3 Member Posts: 3
    I have noticed the same problem on my Mazda3. It's been about 2 or 3 months since my low pressure alarm went off. This morning it happened again, it seems to be happening everytime out temps dip into the 30's. I live in the southeast and temps can change rapidly. I don't have a leak in any of my tires, but it seems to be a thing with low profile tires.
    I am new to this , but I need to know: am I stuck with my low profile tires on my Mazda3 hatchback or can I switch to standard tires? Do I have to have new rims in order to do that?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you want to switch to higher profile tires, you'll need new rims. The overall diameter of the tires will be the same, it's just that more of that overall diameter will be made up of tire with higher profile tires.
    thanks for your reply, that answered my question.
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    Maybe not as much as you but i have been experiencing some tire pressure issues... I have the same model as you (w/ Toyo tires, right?) I've had my 07' for little over a year now. When i had my Protege i had way fewer issues. Even during weather temp changes i never even had all 4 tires be under inflated like w/ my 3; hopefully that was just one of those things... I just had my tire pressure checked 3 days ago, and haven't drove much, no major temp changes and one of my tires was low today. I don't get it. In the future i'm planning to change all 4 tires to another brand anyway.
    Just was curious if a bigger tire (17 or 18", low profile?) gives you less gas mileage?
    My friend is interested is the Toyota Camry hybrid & there's an option for 18" wheels.
    Also, what's the difference in ride and handling between a 16" and a 17, 18" tires?
  • tomjones75tomjones75 Member Posts: 5
    I picked up a set of 16" steel rims and blizzaks from tire rack, work great in the snow and you can forget about power slides, the blizzaks bite too much
    over 17" sacrifices performance, wider will give you better grip but you also give up mpg. the largest wheel that will fit on the mazda3 is 19" when you go that big you have to consider the brakes; ABS, rotor size, weight, etc..., 17" are optimal for performance. Add lowering, there is a lot that goes into suspension and wheel and tire size are only a portion of that. the larger the patch on the ground the more friction and the lower the mpg.
    16" do work on the 5 door. I have a 2006 3 5-door hatch and got a 16" steel wheel package for it. 16" are the low end wheel package but do fit any mazda 3
    Ok, i'm having fun *not* with things keep happening. Is it normal for the paint/finish of Mazda rims to chip and/or scratch easily? I'm thinking no but wanted to make sure; heres why... After i came home (yesterday, when i had wheel alignment done), don't know what made me but i went to look at my tires & rim and noticed a tiny piece of the paint (edge near center emblem) sticking up and it peeled off. Thats nothing but i also notice a small scratch on top & a chip also near the center. They are pretty small but thats the new rim i just replaced 3 days ago! :mad: It was from the alignment place.
    Would you guys say something or just let it go?
    I know nothing can't be done but i paid a little extra for "adapters" so they would not get damaged... Plus i have to go back because my steering wheel slightly goes right on straight road. (i kinda don't want to go back because i don't want more damage but i did pay for the service in the first place!) This is not the first time either, the other time, at Mazda, i had my tires rotated i had 2 small, deep scratches but by the time i noticed, it was days later.
    When you guys get wheel work done, do you get scratches, chips on your rims? I swear it is so hard to find people/places that do a good job!!

**i forgot which member but they mentioned theres places that can fix rims... what kind of place is it? Thanks in advance (again)!!
    So 16" will give you a smoother ride & mpg and 17" is better performance/handling?
    Another ques, is a 17" compared to 16" more prone to road hazards?
    Go to a tire shop and check the tire for damage. If one tire keeps losing pressure, you might have a nail or screw in it. It's not the fault of the car, it just happens. A few weeks ago I had a nail in my tire that was causing it to lose pressure.
    A 16" tire will give you a smoother ride because there is more sidewall (more tire) to absorb the bumps. A 17" rim means having a tire with a lower profile, necessitating a stiffer and stronger sidewall. There's less tire to smooth out the bumps (and protect the rim from large potholes), but you will have better handing as there's less sidewall to flex and bend during hard cornering.

As for mpg, a 17" rim weighs more than a 16" rim (if made from same materials). In a Mazda 3, the stock 16" rim weighs 18lbs, 17" rim weighs 22lbs. That's four more pounds at each corner. Due to rotational forces (and a bunch of other physics/math terms), more power is needed to get a car with larger and heavier rims going. The trick in getting larger rims, if you really want to increase performance and handling, is to get lighter rims, or else its all just for show. Ok, handling might be better due to a shorter sidewall, but you'll definitely be slower.

For a Mazda 3 hatchback, and all 'S' trim Mazda3s, smallest rim that will fit is 16" due to the size of the disc brakes, as they are larger than on the 'I' trims. 15" will not fit.
    When you guys get wheel work done, do you get scratches, chips on your rims?

No, I either use my BMW indie shop or one of Tire Rack's recommended installers.

I swear it is so hard to find people/places that do a good job!!

I agree, that's why I always use a shop that has received good reviews from people I trust.

**i forgot which member but they mentioned theres places that can fix rims... what kind of place is it?

Here's one place that several of my automotive writer friends have used. No personal experience, however.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

All tires are fine; no nails or screws...
  • networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    I was washing my 2007 Speed 3 the other day when I noticed that my sticky Bridgestone R050A summer tires are getting pretty worn at 15,000 miles. I love the tires, but replacement is pretty expensive. Anybody have experience with alternatives?
    Tire Rack has the R050A for $197 each; everything else in the "Max Performance" category costs about the same or more. I'm probably going to drop down to the "Ultra High Performance" class and buy the Kumho Ecsta Sports for $116 a tire. I've fitted a couple of sets of Kumhos to my 3 Series track rat and I've found them to be very good tires- especialy considering the price.

• networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    I've fitted a couple of sets of Kumhos to my 3 Series track rat and I've found them to be very good tires- especialy considering the price.

The last set of tires I put on my old Mustang GT were Kumho. They were very good tires for the money. That may be the route I take. With the cost premium fuel heading rapidly toward 4 bucks a gallon, I don't want to spend an extra 800+ a year on tires. At least I get far better MPG than I ever had with the Mustang :)
    At least I get far better MPG than I ever had with the Mustang

I cross-shopped like crazy before I settles on the MS3. I came real close to picking up a 2003-2004 Mach 1, but I just couldn't get past the interior. Ditto for the Charger SRT-8. OTOH, I loved the interior of the GTO, but I couldn't stomach the Mutated Cavalier styling. I guess it all worked out. 23 mpg just isn't all that bad...

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday so that means mazda chat time again. Stop in and meet and greet with your fellow Mazda lovers. Or just stop by for a little fun and car problem chat diagnosis. (One of our favorite games..heh)

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    Seeking advice for tire replacement for my 2005 M3 s. I have not had good luck with the GY Eagles or Continentals. Any input would be appreciated!
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I don't have experience with your specific vehicle and I don't know what you're looking for in a tire, but if it's high performance all-season (with an emphasis on high performance) you can't go wrong with this tire.
  • txg60txg60 Member Posts: 6
    I am just a shade over 23K miles and am within a few K miles of replacement...briefly looked at my options; if you want to stay with the OEM 215's you are probably stuck....Pirelli has an PZero and there is an older Michelin option as well but its a non-pilot...walked out the door @ 266$ per tire including taxes/labor etc.

Has anyone on here jumped to a 225 size?...if so did you go to a 45 or 40 series tire?
  • pthirthpthirth Member Posts: 1
    My daughter and sister-in-law bought new Mazda3s in the past year.

Daughter drove 20,000 miles in 10 months. We noticed a thrum-thrum sound. It turned out her tires are wearing unevenly. We checked alignment and it was fine.

AFTER we took it back to dealer, we found out that tires warrantee is for 12,000 miles.

Sister-in-law's Mazda3 only has 10,000 miles and shows same problem. Took it to dealer who says alignment must be the problem. If he can stall us for another 2,000 miles, this car will also be out of tire warrantee. Dealer could not refer us to a Kansas City location which will honor the warrantee on the Mazda tires.

We are NOT happy campers. I have NEVER heard of a tire with such a low mileage warrantee.
  • silvermzda3silvermzda3 Member Posts: 17
    i just realized you must have the speed 3, so these comments are for the regular 3 5 door. I went with 215-45-r17's (up from 205-50-r17) and they will fit. any wider requires a wider rim. after months of research i chose the BF Goodrich G-Force super sport AS (all season). got them at Costco for about 115/tire installed. They are a little softer than the Goodyears that came with the car, providing a 'nicer' ride, much quieter, without giving up too much handling. there is some comprimise in the crispness of the handling and it took me a little bit to decide if i liked them or not. but all in all for the price I am pretty happy. you can go to tires.com and they have a tire calculator there that will give you a comparison on different sizes.
  • tallcitytallcity Member Posts: 1
    I have a two week old Mazda 3S GT with Goodyear V-Rated 205/50/17's. As usual for a Goodyear tire, the handle alright, but I really hate the road noise. I have driven vehicles both large and small and for the last 20 or so years relied on Michelin tires. with only 1500 miles on the clock, I already hate the road noise on anything except really fine asphalt. Even the Mazda service department has told me that these tires will be doing well to get 24,000 miles before needing replacement.

Is it too much to ask that I want wet and dry traction, great handling, reasonable tread life and a quite ride. I don't need to drive 149 miles per hour (V-Rated Tires) and I have been told that the car has a top end limiter set at 120 anyway.

Can someone give me a recount of their replacement experiences that turned out well.
    Well, I don't have your car but, I recently put a set of Potenza G009s on my Dodge Intrepid and they are very impressive. It is truly difficult to find the limit of these tires on the street. They handle great, they are quiet enough and they have a UTOG of 460AA which should provide decent wear. Also highly rated by TR testers and reviewers.
    Just released, this Ultra High Performance Tire is designed for high grip in wet and dry plus decent mileage. The UTOG rating is 340 AA so it is softer and higher performing than the G009 but better wearing than the RE050. Plus you get Bridgestone's latest technology and tread pattern. Looks like a great tire to me.
  • tom1sharon2tom1sharon2 Member Posts: 40
    I have the same problem with uneven tire wear on my 06 M3 sedan. It appears to be fairly common on this car.

The rear wheels have a negative camber that can cause the inside edges of the tires to wear excessively. The problem could also be exaserbated if you routinely carry a lot of extra weight in the rear seat and trunk because the wheels tilt progressively inward as the rear suspension compresses.

When tires wear in this manner, they may begin to cup (develop flat spots) on the inside portion resulting in that thrum-thrum sound you mentioned. Rotating the unevenly worn rear tires to the front, unfortunately, increases the noise level inside and if you rotate them at the dealer recommended intervals, it makes it more difficult to tell if the wear problem is on the front, rear, or both.

Before replacing my short-lived OEM tires I had the dealer check the alignment and was informed that the rear camber was not adjustable, only toe in, and it was normal for the tires to wear unevenly on this car and blah blah blah just live with it.

I've searched through various discussions here and elsewhere but have been unable find any solution. Mostly just confirmation of what the dealer told me. The only suggestion I could make at this time is to make sure that your alignment is adjusted to spec and be religious about checking your tire pressure.

The 12000 mile tire warranty does seem a bit pathetic, even for soft compound performance rated tire. But it's probably a non-issue unless you can show the uneven wear is being caused by defective tires rather than the car.

Good luck.
    Are you talking about the economy car, a Mazda 3 sedan? Or does "M3" mean M3 as in BMW? If you're talking about the Mazda, just get a good set of tires, make sure it is set to factory specs for alignment. It will be fine.
    Are you talking about the economy car, a Mazda 3 sedan? Or does "M3" mean M3 as in BMW? If you're talking about the Mazda, just get a good set of tires, make sure it is set to factory specs for alignment. It will be fine.

Agreed. On most of the other boards the econobox Mazda 3 is called "MZ3", and the hot hatch Mazdaspeed3 is known as the "MS3". There is only ONE M3, and it isn't built by Mazda.
    As for tires, the OEM Bridgestone 050As on my MS3 are still wearing evenly at 18,300 miles. Well, three of them are anyway; the LR tire was taken out by a nail in the inner sidewall. I'm spending a few days at Putnam Park in a few weeks so I'll report back on how well they do after several hours of hot laps...

Jealous, jealous, jealous.
  • deebreddeebred Member Posts: 2
    I have a 06 Mazda3 and could have written this exact message. Dealership of purchase gave the same song and dance as you described. Tried to say the alignment was fine but my tire rotation habits were not up to the standards of Mazda. I actually rotated more than the standard in an attempt to resolve the problem!

Then after buying a new set of Michelin tires I go to a different Mazda dealer to have the alignment checked. All of a sudden the alignment is way off. So they did the alignment and now 25K into the Michelins I am seeing the same issues again.

I stopped by the tire dealer where I purchased the Michelin tires for their opinion. Basically knowing I have the tires rotated regularly (by them) they thought this to be some sort of alignment issue. In the their words, "the tires are setting on the surface evenly".

So I contacted the service manager at the original Mazda dealership and explain my problem. He seems eager to help and makes an appointment to look at the car. Yepper, same old BS again plus this time he added that the tires I have on the car are too big and have a very aggressive tread pattern which causes excessive wear. Funny that the tires are the exact same size as the OEM tires and the tread pattern is just the Michelin rain tread pattern. So then I called a person who used to be a service writer at a Mazda dealership for his opinion. He tells me the Mazda3 is notorious for tire wear and rear brakes. Known problem! He told me to call the service manager at the dealership to discuss. That was a mistake as well since I heard the same spin on the tire wear situation but in a more civil manner than that from the service manager at the original dealership where I bought the car.

Funny how well trained the service people are at these Mazda dealerships to lie though their teeth to cover up a known problem and just pass it on the customer. How stupid, like I will buy another Mazda after this headache!
    As promised, here's my track report regarding the MS3's stock Bridgestones. I spent last weekend at Putnam Park Road Course. Friday morning a steady rain kept the track wet, with standing water on the exit to turn 4. The tires worked very well, providing reasonable grip. I couldn't figure out if the stability control was helping or hurting, but I decided to leave it engaged. Most of the other instructors were running R compounds or shaved tires so I ruled the wet sessions. In the afternoon things dried out but it was still overcast and cool. The MS3's nervousness was tamed considerably by the drier pavement.
    Saturday dawned clear and warm...

Photo Courtesy of PHOTOMOTIONONLINE.COM

As the ambient temperature approached 90F the limitations of the stock rubber became evident. After about 15-20 minutes of track time the tires started to go away. Tire pressures were 35/38 cold but they just tended to overheat if I started to really push. And I certainly wasn't driving that hard; I barely saw 110 on the main straight. I could have easily hit 130 had I wanted to. If I keep the sled I'll definitely need a tire trailer as well as a set of R compound rubber and track wheels. I also need to sort out the traction control and perhaps upgrade to more suitable brake pads. The stock pads worked fine but I'll want something with a bit more bite to complement the upgraded tires and the higher speeds they will allow.

Great report, thanks for sharing that. A couple of questions: first, what is the deal with getting your street ride on the track? Do they have regular open days? I see you're wearing a helmet. Were there any other requirements? How about the cost?Regarding your tires, I think you reported earlier they had 18,000 miles on them. It sounds like they did pretty good for 140 wear rated tires with that many miles on the race track in 90 deg ambient (probably 130-140 track temps). Also you state inflation pressures as "35/38", I assume meaning 35 front and 38 rear. I'm sure you know the factory recommends 2 pounds more in the front "34/32". Why the reversal? Did you do this to try to lessen understeer?
    Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to answer your questions in order:

A couple of questions: first, what is the deal with getting your street ride on the track? Do they have regular open days?

The events that I learned at-and now instruct at-are driving schools conducted by chapters of the BMW Car Club of America, AKA BMW CCA. As the official description says,

"BMW CCA driving schools are designed to teach drivers how to safely improve their driving abilities and explore their cars’ capabilities. Students, using their own cars, get one-on-one instruction from experienced instructors. Our overriding emphasis is on safety, and safely learning how to control the car in emergency and higher performance conditions. The school is conducted on a paved, closed, and controlled course to minimize risk to persons and equipment. This is not a racing school, practice or preparation for racing, and it is not a timed, competitive event or speed contest."

The schools are typically held on weekends, with Friday usually being reserved for instructors and Advanced students.

I see you're wearing a helmet. Were there any other requirements?

The helmet must have a Snell MA2000 or S2000 rating. Your car must also undergo a pre-event inspection as well as a trackside inspection.

How about the cost?

@$200-$400 for the two day event. Cost depends on the track and chapter. You also must be a BMW CCA member($40/yr).

Also you state inflation pressures as "35/38", I assume meaning 35 front and 38 rear. I'm sure you know the factory recommends 2 pounds more in the front "34/32". Why the reversal? Did you do this to try to lessen understeer?

Yes, you normally increase front tire pressure to reduce understeer, but I went with the recommendations of an experienced MS3 track driver and I thought his numbers were spot-on. The front tires run hotter due to all the work they have to do-transmit power, turn, and brake- so the pressures tend to even out front to rear.

Good stuff. I checked out the track's website and it looks like there are regular track days sponsored by a number of different organizations. There is one on Aug 2 that is basically all day for $245. Not bad.
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I'm shopping for new tires, and here is my question: Keeping MPG as the only priority, which option we be better:

1. 215-50-17 ultra high performance all season, weight per tire is 22lbs
    2. 205-50-17 ultra high performance all season, weight per tire is 25lbs

I know weight matters, but so does extra friction with the wider tire.
  • blanca58blanca58 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem Mazda 3 2006. Had problems with the Toyo Factory tires at 18,000 miles. Now am having problems with Firestone tires at 20,000 miles.

This is ridiculous.
    Call Tire Rack and see what they have to say.