Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 3 Tire & Wheel Questions

borgyborgy Member Posts: 1
Im trying to check and see if anyone has any ideas on what other wheels we can use on our 2005 Mazda 3. There must be a narrower steel wheel that would be usable. It just makes more sense to me to have 2 sets of wheels and tires,one being much narrower and snow worthy than the factory 17s. Any help on this issue would be great.. My email is borgy@mchsi.com

Comments

• wildthingwildthing Member Posts: 25
    My '05 Mazda 3 doesn't come with Flat Tire warning. I drive steel rims in the winter with 205/50/16's and the rims that came with the car for my summer tires. For whatever it's worth I just ditched the Goodyears at tire switchover and bought something new...Nankang NS2's...they look great on the car, "V" rated, not too expensive and hopefully will last longer than the crappy Goodyear RSA's..
  • wildthingwildthing Member Posts: 25
    My wife and I both have '05 Mazda 3's. Mine's the sedan and her's is the Sport model. We both put steel rims and Bridgstone Blizzaks on our cars. Makes a huge difference in winter driving as the original Goodyear RSA's were useless in snow. We downsized the factory 17's for winter '16's
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I ride on 205-55-16 Dunlop M3's in the winter and they are nice and sticky on snow and ice. I also have them on steel rims.
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    I just moved my son's '05 Mazda 3 with 20,000 miles on the above tires to snow blow the driveway. backing up or pulling forward the Toyo's are USELESS!!! They look like they have plenty of tread but even after snowblowing they can't go up the slight incline of my driveway. My '06 Impala and '05 Ford 500 have no problem at all even when there is 5-6" of snow on the driveway. Does anyone else have this problem with the Toyo's? :confuse:
  • visajetvisajet Member Posts: 3
    Can I use 16' tires on my Mazda 3s GT hatchback ? The guys over at tirerack insist that it can only take 17" rims? Thanks in advance
  • visajetvisajet Member Posts: 3
    The guys over at tirerack insist that my 3s GT 5-door takes only 17 inch rims. I was thinking of getting 16" wheels and winter tires. Can someone please clarify?
  • kwk1kwk1 Member Posts: 39
    Tirerack says that cause that's all that's available on that car stock from the factory.
    You shouldn't have any trouble putting 16's on as long as the tire diameter is similar to the 17's. This will keep the speedometer fairly accurate and not cause any problems with ABS.
    I guess there's an outside chance the brakes could be too large for 16's, but I would really doubt it. The brakes are probably all the same size, except maybe for the MazdaSpeed3.

HTH
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    I've seen the factory 16's on a 2.3 trim level sedan, but i'm not sure i've ever seen it on the 5 door. Maybe the tire rack guys are advising against it since it technically would no longer be oem. Sometimes they offer you optional sizes when they know that the manufacturer themselves offers you bigger or smaller rims. (they have oe 17 and 18 inch wheel sizes offered for my rabbit just because vw offers factory wheels that big as well.) I think that if you can do it to the sedan version, there should be no reason why you couldn't do it for a gt 5 door.
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    I was curious & wanted to know if there is a difference w/ride, performance, etc... between the 16" and 17" tires (S sedans)?
    I'm sure the 17's have a rougher ride, but should handle better.
    I was reading about the tmps & as helpful it will be, it also seems like a pain in the a**. It says that you should go to your Mazda dealer for tire issues so the sensor can be connected, programmed properly (something like that...). Is that true? Would other places like Costco, Discount Tire, etc know how to do that? Plus getting tires or tire repairs through the dealership would take too long & be overpriced!
    I'm not sure if places like that would be able to reprogram the computer. You'd have to ask them. The computer is programmed for the stock tire size, it would need to be reprogrammed for a new size.
    IMO, it would be easier to just find a tire of similar diameter, give or take an inch. then your speedo and ABS should still work fine.

PS: I have run a 27.4 inch tire on the front, and a 28 inch on the back with no ill effects.
    Also wondered if I ever wanted aftermarket tires that were a bigger size... I have to ask & call around first. I would like to go througthe dealership just because they will know what to do but can't imagine what a rip it would be!
  • scooterkatscooterkat Member Posts: 1
    Good to hear this. Any suggestions on a wheel source??
  • fayecfayec Member Posts: 1
    Bought a Mazda3 GT HB a month ago. Since day one, the TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light (!) turns on when I drive. It will flicker, and then stay lit, turning off during the drive and then sometimes turning back on. I've brought into the dealership for service, and they couldn't detect anything wrong with the tires, and reset the TPMS module. However, the warning light (!) continues to turn on and off. Is this safe to drive, or is it a lemon?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    If the tires are holding pressure at the correct level, and a reset of the TPMS module didn't work, then it would seem that the dealer should replace the module.
  • m3fan3m3fan3 Member Posts: 27
    i had the same exact problem the first day i bought my mazda 3. one of my sensors were broken. the dealer replaced it on the warranty with no problem. said it was very strange that happened the day i drove it off the lot.even the sales guy that sold me the car was shocked and gave me a free oil change certificate. the flickering stands for a malfunction in the TPMS system. one of the sensors are damaged(or thats what was on mine at least). and no its not dangerous to drive, however you will not be able to kno if one of the tires are loosing air while the light flickers.also i personally do not like lights flashing in my gages, just so distracting.
  • pmckaypmckay Member Posts: 6
    Hello Mr. Wild,
    I just got an 07 Mazda3 s 5-Door (I LOVE IT) - and it came with the Goodyear's. Not good in the snow. We drove the car home from the dealer, and couldn't make it up our driveway. Nokian WR snow tires solved the driveway hill problem.... the traction control klicks in pretty often. The snow tires are 17" also low profile perfomance tires mounted on the factory rims. I'll need rims for the summer tires now.... Anything special about the rims? Do I need special Flat Tire Warning sensors in the rims?
    About your vehicles. Did you find problems with either the Flat Tire warning, or the speedometer when you went to 205/55/16's?
    Sorry about multiple question in one post..
    Thanks
    Pete
  • pmckaypmckay Member Posts: 6
    Hi Eldiano - Did you end up with 16" rims and tires? I just bought a set of 17" (performance) Nokian WR snow tires for my 07 5-door. 16" 205/55 tires on steel rims might have given me a bit more sidewall height.
    Thanks for any info.
    Pete
  • mrmojorisinmrmojorisin Member Posts: 1
    If the backspacing on your new rims is the same as the old rims and the overall diameter of the tires + rims is the same you will have no problems with fit, no matter what the tire salesman says. If you change either the backspacing or the overall diameter I suggest you check for rubbing before proceeding. A good tire place will help you with the fit of a non-oem setup or they shouldn't get your money.
    well...i actually don't own a mazda 3 :blush: but what the above poster said is true; 3 17's on the 3 are actually almost the same size as the 16's; they are 205 45 r 17's if i'm not mistaken. The wheelwell's on all the 3's are the same, so you should have no problem. As long as your tread on the tires is for the winter you will be ok.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "If the backspacing on your new rims is the same as the old rims and the overall diameter of the tires + rims is the same you will have no problems with fit....."

That's fine if your only concern is whether the rims/tires will fit without rubbing in the wheel well. But it doesn't take into account whether or not the brake rotors/calipers will fit within the smaller size rim.

Regarding the sedan vs. the 5-door: are the 16" rims on the sedan offered only on the 2.0l version (possibly with smaller brakes) or are the 16" rims also offered on the 2.3l version?
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    Just to let you know I just bought a new 3 5 door here in Canada, and it came with the 16" wheels stock, so unless the US version uses different size brakes they should fit fine.
    Scott
    i dunno about the newer ones, but someone at my church has an 05 2.3 sedan with stock 16's.
  • stallionrestallionre Member Posts: 205
    I thought the 3s comes with 17". I have the M3S GT 4 door with 17", stock. Maybe the 5 door comes with 16".
    I just checked Tire Rack's Upgrade Garage and they do not list any 16 inch wheels on dozens of choices. They do list a number of 16's for the 4 door (which is what I have) and therefore I would bet that for some reason the 16 inch size will not work on the 5 door. I have purchased at least 10 times from Tire Rack over the years, and I would be very surprised if they don't have this right.

I would go with the 17's and choose the best tire that's right for you. Even though a taller, narrower tire would be better when the conditions are really bad, one plus with the 17" is that it will handle a little better when the roads are clear or there is just a little snow. The other advantage is that they will look better.
    Thanks JBaumgart for this info. I have driven many cars with size 16 and 17 tires. There is a slight difference between them, However, there is a big difference in different types of weather. I have noticed that for sure, especially in the snow, rain, ice and mud. I live in Southern CA, therefore, 17" tires are the best for the weather and not only that, they look better and the ride feels smoother/better on the hot pavement. :)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, and for those of you new to the forums, that means it's time for our weekly Mazda chat. Stop in this evening to meet and greet some of your fellow forums members, talk about the cars, share some CarSpace photos and videos, and in general have a good time!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    "Thanks JBaumgart for this info. I have driven many cars with size 16 and 17 tires. There is a slight difference between them, However, there is a big difference in different types of weather. I have noticed that for sure, especially in the snow, rain, ice and mud. I live in Southern CA, therefore, 17" tires are the best for the weather and not only that, they look better and the ride feels smoother/better on the hot pavement."

For winter wheels and tires I've usually downsized for the reasons you mention. I live in Minnesota so I have lots of experience driving in inclement weather. On one of my other vehicles it comes stock with 20" wheels, but when I ordered a wheel/tire winter package I went with 18 inchers. A smaller size winter tire makes the biggest difference in heavy snow, with its taller sidewall, but it also helps on compacted snow and ice as you get greater contact pressure - more weight on a narrower width. Like most everything else in life there's tradeoffs - maintaining the stock size will give better handling for the 90% of the time when the roads have been cleared or are otherwise dry, plus as we've mentioned they look better too.
    I have a 2005 Mazda 3s Hatch. Last year I purchased 16" steel rims and 205-55-16 Dunlop M3's for the winter. My car was undriveable in the winter with the all season 17's on. Tire Rack was great to work with. I too live in MN, and I switched tires out when we had that 80 degree day two weeks ago, now with the rate it is snowing today I'll have to switch back tonight!
    They could have changed something between the 2005 and 2007 models, but this shows that it's at least worth second look. I'll get a set before next winter for sure, as my 16 year-old daughter is the primary driver of this car. I know that with just a bit of late snow in March on our moderately sloped driveway, I had trouble with the stock 17" tires, so I'll need to get a separate set of wheels & winter tires for a relatively inexperienced driver. The only problem will be where to store them, as we already have 8 stacked high in our garage for our two all wheel drive SUV's (FX45 and RX330). Since the Mazda is just front wheel drive, it makes even more sense here in Minnesota.
    I think the main difference is all 2007 3's have TPMS. From reading at Tirerack, this system requires special TPMS adaptable rims.
  • markb3markb3 Member Posts: 23
    Only the GT sedan and GT sport come with 17" all other Mazda3s come with either 15" or 16". Mazdaspeed3 will have the 18".
    Thanks. Got it.
  • ayoda5ayoda5 Member Posts: 4
    BACKGROUND: Got a mazda3i w/ around 49,000 miles. Had new pads put on in Oct. 2006. Rotors resurfaced about 2 weeks ago.

PROBLEM: About a month ago (before rotors resurfaced and after new pads) a small squeaking noise began in my rear left wheel. Its an intermittent squeak which gets faster and louder the quicker I go. When I brake the noise disappears. To me this rules out a bearing problem (bearing failure is more of a grinding noise also, isn’t it?). My mechanic thought it might be an out of place shim, or some other type of interference. I plan on taking off the wheel to see if there is anything obvious.

I am confused b/c if it was the bearing then the noise shouldn’t stop when I apply the brakes, right? Also I just got new pads about 8,000 miles ago, and there is still plenty of pad left, and the resurfacing occurred after the noise popped up. So, the noise didn’t appear directly after any brake work. The only conclusion that I can make w/ my little knowledge is that something perhaps wasn’t installed quite right when the pads were done and now the interference is causing the noise.

Anyway its annoying the hell out of me, so if there is anyone out there who has any clues, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Id say take the wheel off and look for signs that the pad is sticking to the rotor. Sounds like the pads were not installed properly, unfortunatly its too late to bring it back in and make them fix it.
    Also check this site out...has some TSBs that refer to the rear brakes. See if what they describe sounds like your problem.
    http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/bulletins.html
  • jcsarpjcsarp Member Posts: 3
    My new 2007 Mazda3 GT has the same TPMS problem. The TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light (!) turns on when I drive. It will flicker, and then stay lit, turning off during the drive and then sometimes turning back on. Did your dealer find a fix for this problem? Thanks.
    I am having a TPMS problem on my new 2007 Mazda3 GT. The TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light (!) turns on when I drive. It will flicker, and then stay lit, turning off during the drive and then sometimes turning back on. All four tires are holding pressure correctly. 32 psi when cold rising to about 34 - 35 psi when warm. The problem only occurs after the car has been driven for a period of time. The dealer said that a diagnostic scan indicated that the TPMS module was reading each tire pressure correctly, but the ID codes for each wheel sensor were not registered in the module. The dealer "registered" each wheel sensor and sent me on my way. The same TPMS warning light problem returned later. No change. Do I have a defective wheel sensor or a defective receiver module? Any suggestions? Thanks.
    How did your dealer know which wheel sensor was damaged? Did a diagnostic scan indicated the bad sensor or did the dealer remove the tire(s) to inspect the wheel sensor(s)? Thanks.

Re: TPMS Warning Light (!) - Mazda3 GT HB by m3fan3
    "i had the same exact problem the first day i bought my mazda 3. one of my sensors were broken. the dealer replaced it on the warranty with no problem."
  • argb444argb444 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2008 Mazda3 Hatchback, and from day one, after driving for a while (10-15 miles) the TMPS warning light flickers, then remains on even though the tire pressure is at specs.

My dealer inspected the vehicle and found that the TPMS module was not aware of the wheel sensors. Their corrective action was to "re-learn the module".

This did not fix the problem however, and the TMPS warning light still comes on after driving 10-15 miles.

I'm in the process of scheduling a 2nd service appointment for this problem and would appreciate hearing from anyone that has had the same problem and subsequently had it fixed by the dealer.

I'd be interested in knowing what exactly your dealer did to fix the problem.

Regards,
    argb
  • mnesbittmnesbitt Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 and I am a bit confused as to the size of rims that I can install on the Speed3. I was told by the parts department in one dealership that 18" is the only size that will fit.

Just for kicks I contacted a second dealership and I was told by one person (over the phone) that 16" is OK and then a second person told me (when I visited the dealership in person) that 17" is OK. Both people worked in the same parts department.

Can anyone tell me what the correct size is? Also, are there any aftermarket rims available for this car? I am under the impression that the stock rims have a non-standard +50mm offset.

Thanks for your help.
    mnesbitt, go to www.tirerack.com and it will list many options for both tires and wheels that will fit. Remember for better winter traction, narrower is better, so 16's would be your best bet if you live in a cold/snowy climate.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Check with Tire Rack. They know their stuff. I haven't bought tires from anyplace else since 1992. FWIW, Tire Rack currently lists 16", 17", and 18" winter tire/wheel packages for the Mazdaspeed3.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mnesbittmnesbitt Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. I checked out Tire Rack and the prices looked pretty good so I ordered a set of wheels and tires. I should see the shipment in about a week and I will you know how it works out.
  • argb444argb444 Member Posts: 2
    UPDATE: The dealer fixed the TPMS false positive / warning light problem by replacing the rain sensing wiper module with an updated version. The dealer stated that Mazda discovered that the rain sensing wiper module emits EMI / RFI that causes the TPMS to generate false positives.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Member Posts: 60
    I want to install new winter tires, but don't want to spend $300 on new sensors that are really just glorified idiot lights. Any idea what a Mazda3 5-door (2007) will do when the TPMS senses that all four tires are flat? Full idiot light? Flashing idiot light? Will it beep uncontrollably like the seat belt?

Any help would be appreicated.

P.S. No offense was meant by the term "idiot light" as I am a little old school.

Thanks!!
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I had one low tire this morning and it beeped once just after starting the car and the light stayed on, but not more beeping or flashing after that. I'd be surprised if if behaved any differently with more than one low tire.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Member Posts: 60
    Thanks! I was about to go out and let some air out. I was hoping that was going to be the answer! Thanks for your help!
  • mayachemayache Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Mazda 3 S Touring sedan with factory tires which I bought 9/06. More or less since I've bought it, the tires have gone under pressure roughly once every one or two months. The TPMS goes off and when I check, it is legitimate; usually one of the tires is below 25 psi, though this isn't the same tire every time. I always make sure to fill all of them up to around 1 psi over the recommended 32. I don't drive it that much, maybe ~200 miles/month, and I live in San Diego, so this isn't due to the cold. The shop at my dealership checked it out and didn't find any leaks or anything, but frankly this doesn't seem right to me. I've asked other Mazda 3 owners and nobody else seems to have to reinflate this frequently/
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    tires ... under pressure roughly once every one or two months. The TPMS goes off ... usually one of the tires is below 25 psi, though this isn't the same tire ... fill all of them up to around 1 psi over the recommended 32. I don't drive it that much, maybe ~200 miles/month

May not be a problem just a bit of a nuisance. Alternatively, you could record the exact date, the tire, psi and pressure loss to document the problem.