Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf Engine Problems

silverbear11silverbear11 Member Posts: 1
I had a new engine put in my tdi golf 2001.
Was working fine.
Now the heater is not working and the engine is overheating. I found out there was no antifreeze in the radiator. Any ideas?

Comments

• cchristoucchristou Member Posts: 2
    I have a Golf MK3 GTI. The car likes to switch off while I'm driving. Whether on the motorway, roundabout, traffic light it just switches off. You'd think it will start if you put your foot on and off the clutch but it doesn't. It feels like its an electrical fault. I think this is a common problem as I have been told by others that they have had the same problem but not sure what it is.

Has anyone had the same problem? Is it a common fault or do I need to change different components until it stops?
  • jitteryjoe_246jitteryjoe_246 Member Posts: 49
    Sorry to hear about your problem. Try asking your question in the volkswagen Golf III and Jetta III forum at www.vwvortex.com

If it is a common problem with the car, they'll know about it.
  • jimvwjimvw Member Posts: 2
    im having the same problem. Did you manage to resolve the problem ? If so can you please let me know how my email address is eileenshields50@aol.com Thanks
  • chenerchener Member Posts: 3
    You may find that it is the relay for the engine management system. I had the same problem some time ago. It would cut out and if you switch off and on again all would be OK for a while.
    The relay is probably about £30 and can be changed in about a minute. All relays are behind the fuses inside the car.
  • jimvwjimvw Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I was wondering if it was the relay with the number 30 on it ? If not what one was it.

Thanks
  • ecgtiecgti Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I've been having trouble with my Mk3 Golf GTI 8V consuming 1 qt of oil every 500 or so KM (about 300 miles) so I had the engine rebuilt. The problem persists even after the complete rebuild and I can't seem to find what's causing it. I've heard of VWs burning a lot of oil, but this is ridiculous. Any ideas?
  • lthlth Member Posts: 2
  • lthlth Member Posts: 2
    my car was running fine and then just quit. i checked the fuel pump,fuse and relay. all are fine. the fuel pump is not getting any power to it. help......
  • cchristoucchristou Member Posts: 2
  • nixussnixuss Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Right, the problem your having is simple, i dont know if you have sorted it due to the date on the last post. Anyway, what you need to sort out is the crank shaft sensor. Mine did the same thing, would cut out while on the motorway. I tried the exact same thing...replacing the fuses, believe me when i say it does not work.

Hope you get it sorted

Cheers
  • mlawrencemscmlawrencemsc Member Posts: 2
    Check your oil an see if there's any water or antifreeze in the oil.(will look cloudy or milky if there's water in it) If there is water in the oil I would think you have a cracked head. Could also be a blown head gasket causing you to lose water( you should see steam coming from under the hood)If none of the above are found then you've got a leak somewhere. Hope this gives you a place to start.Also check the thermastat.
  • mansuemansue Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 VW GOLF with a 2.0l engine.
    I am considering getting a turbocharger on it, but all i can find on the internet is turbochargers for VW's with a 1.8l engines.
    Can i get a 1.8 turbo and use it on my 2.0 anyway?
  • ssilvassilva Member Posts: 6
    i have a golf 1.8 turbo.. but idk if the turbo is working or what.. you can't hear it when i step on the gas..
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    The 1.8T engine is an AUDI engine that has a turbocharger from the factory. Thus, the kits you see on the internet improve upon the factory trubocharger design.

The 2.0L engine is a VW engine. There are SUPERCHARGER kits for the 2.0L engine. ... but I am afraid you would need some engine-building experience to add a turbocharger to the VW 2.0L engine.
  • emmauslax31emmauslax31 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I have 1999 VW Golf Old Body
    100,000 Miles. 2.0 Engine

And my check engine light is on. I got it looked at the local garage and they said its a Evaporated Emissions code. I changed my vacuum tubes, and it still didn't turn off.
    I also started to notice that when i start it up, theres like a slight squealing noise from the engine area, and its coming from a pump of some sort.
    Also sometimes when idling at a stop light, instead of the RPMs being just below 1000(like it usually is) it bounces up and down above 1000, could this be involved? Can someone try to tell me what else i should do?

Thanks John
  • p2jennp2jenn Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 Golf 2.0L. At idle, the temperature stays normal. When I start driving, the engine overheats. I changed the thermostat, I changed the temp sender, new coolant, all fans work and as far as I know, changing the water pump is the last option. I need help. AutoZone has let me down yet again!!
  • frusurffrusurf Member Posts: 2
    my friend has a 03 golf 2.0L with the 5 speed manual. the heat just blows out cold air. at highway speeds or about 3500 rpms the temp will start to climb until the temp sensor goes off. the coolant looks fine, nor does motor steam or have that hot engine smell. i suggested thermastat? this just happened recently and engine was running perfectly fine before.
  • fionahfionah Member Posts: 1
    Over the past few weeks I have had problems with emissions light on-garage tested and eventually swopped coils round in the cylinders to check. Lasted about a day then light came on again, took it back and they replaced coil also cleaned throttle body. Again lasted about a day then emissions light AND EPC lights on now. Car actually runs OK, but may be doing underlying damage to eg. catalytic converter. Reluctant to keep spending on it, had already cost over #200! and no improvement. Car has done about 76k, I do about 60 miles a day, quite a lot of motorway driving. Help??!!
  • emmauslax31emmauslax31 Member Posts: 4
  • sanfranmalesanfranmale Member Posts: 2
    I just got my car back from a body repair shop and was very happy till I saw the Engine Light turn on. I havent taken it to the Dealership or any other European Car Repair Shop but wanted to throw it out there so maybe I could fix this myself. I have read something about an Evaporated Emissions issue?What is this code?What does it mean?Does the dealership or your repairshop tell you what needs to be done when this happens?How much has it cost you when you do whatever needs to be done to correct this code?

Appreciate your help in advance. I must say..I am the first owner of the car, its got only 62K on it and it has been largely reliable...be it winter or summer...this is the second time I have seen this Engine Light on ..the first time was long back.

Cheers.
  • sanfranmalesanfranmale Member Posts: 2
  • sekanasekana Member Posts: 1
    Hi1 I`m Jasmin.
    I have same problem on golf 01 hatchback. I went in a vw. garage, they connect engine to the computer and it said temp. coolant switch.( 29.euro). After two days, light was on again. They connect car again and it said number one oxigen sensor.(210.euro) Golf has also no.2 oxigen sensor and few more sensors.Mecanic guy said maybe it`s no.1, maybe no.2 sensors they can`t know untill they change everything showed on the screen.He told me this light are usualy for golf and this sensors are mess very often, sometimes with no reason.I paid 166 euro for tem. cool.sensor(29 e), cleaning body and litlle bit coolant.I`m waiting to get ox. sensor from my garage (it`s under varainty)and when it`s done to see was this sensor caused problems or another one.I can`t imagin how much this will cost me but I can`t drive my car like that, forever.
    I tried to get price for air condition and fitting but can`t fine it on any web pages. If you know anything,please text me.Thank you And sorry for my spelling.
  • ramsey4ramsey4 Member Posts: 1
    the impeller on the water pump has sheered off in side the motor
  • golf210golf210 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 91 golf it runs good down the road but when I stop at a light the car idles rought and most of the time but not all the time it will stall I was wondering what I should do any help would be great thanks Tyler
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Could be a number of things, but the first thing that came to my mind was a fuel problem. Either bad fuel injectors or a problem with fuel pump/fuel filter.
  • golf210golf210 Member Posts: 2
    Is it a big project to change the injectors is there a chance that it could be a tps . the only other problem i can think of is if the car sits for awhile or its very cold out is when it has a problem starting I changed fuel filter and did a tune up plugs ,wires , cap , rotor but made no noticable change its kind of a pain to two foot it at a stop light thanks for a place to start
    You might want to spend $20 or so and get yourself a Chilton's repair manual for the Golf.
    http://www.amazon.com/VW-Golf-Cabriolet-1990-98-Chiltons-Repair/dp/0801991226
    Spending that money now could save you some down the road.
  • weirdieweirdie Member Posts: 2
    i bought a vw golf 1993 model and it has been running great untill recently it would not start so i change the fuel pump also the coil got a new ignition fitted now it starts runs great for a short while then just stops i have to wait a few minutes before trying to start it again but it takes about 30 attempts then it does start just to stop further down the road has any one got any ideas what could be the problem as i am at my wits end
    Since it starts, that sounds like the electrical work you did is functioning. Running for a while and then stopping, but having trouble starting sure sounds like a fuel issue.

A couple of things come to mind. The fuel pump you put in is bad, you got some kind of crud in a fuel line that's blocking fuel flow now and then, the fuel filter might need to be replaced. I'm all for going after the obvious first. Look at the fuel system. I'd bet on that being the location of the problem with what you've said.
  • bob1000bob1000 Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I'm new here. Just trying to post my problem. Don't know if I'm in the right area? Well I have a 1996 VW GOLF Diesel. Just today the panel indecated an LED 'SERVICE2'? Normally it says SERVICE1 when the annual service is due and the orange coil icon is fashing none stop? It will turn over, but not start up? Sounds like its out of gas? Tank is full.

Anyone have a clue what it might be?
    Thanks for your help!
  • weirdieweirdie Member Posts: 2
    sorry i am new i did change the fuel filter too could it be the immoboliser as a few people have said it could be thanks for the help anyway will try and check the fuel line
  • daze2143daze2143 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 vw gti golf.. everything on it was fine until one day i ran out of gas, i put more fuel but now it sounds as if the fuel pump doesn't even come on.. can anyone help please.
    Fuel pumps are electric and sit inside the fuel tank. The fuel is what cools off the pump. Running you tank dry, or even very low, can cause the pump to overheat. Given the age of your Golf, you may have fried the pump.
  • shelley2shelley2 Member Posts: 17
    Sometimes it takes several times for plugs to warm up, and after a few days, the battery runs flat, the lights are still bright, but i do a 20 minute drive to work and then try to start again and its dead, and sometime it starts ok, am wondering if there is a sneak circuit somewhere? Also could a dirty air filter make starting difficult?
  • shelley2shelley2 Member Posts: 17
    How often should glow plugs be changed and is it a fairly easy job to do? I have had the car for a year now, and have changed fuel and oil filter.
  • valleyvwvalleyvw Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 97 Golf Trek Edition and I'm experiencing higher than normal rpms when in 5th gear. I'm crusing at about 110km/hr and I'm reving at about 2800-3000 rpm. I don't think this is normal. Can anyone please give me an idea of what the problem could be and a solution? My fuel milage is suffering.

I have a V8 truck that only rpm's at 2000rpm on the highway.

Thanks,

ValleyVW :confuse:
  • 98ddgram150098ddgram1500 Member Posts: 16
    2002 2.0L Miss-fire Cyl #4
    A constant issue.
    I put new plugs in, it still misfired, but cleared up. car sat for a week, then its misfiring all the time on cyl4, if I try to drive it, then cyl3 misfires. then i loses sooo much power it can barely get up to 35mph.
    Any ideas?
    Replaced the fuel filter, tried injector cleaner, and new plugs...
    it actually ran great for a little while. it happens all the time, but before when it wasn't bad it was in the mid-range and mid throttle.
  • 98ddgram150098ddgram1500 Member Posts: 16
    I am going to put in a new O2 sensor, hope that works. Also, might look for a shop that can do the out of car injector cleaning, then if that still doesn't work, then i am going to replace the ignition system.
    This little car was nice when it ran, very under powered, but i liked the 30mpg, and the heated seats.
    This is certainly my last VW Gas. I would look in to a TDI jetta wagon for the wife (pre 2007). Aside from that, i hate the 2.0L engine, with its aluminium oil pan and steel drain bolt. The threads stripped out, so i used an over sized plug. and its oil consumption of 1qt every 1500miles is not acceptable (VW said its normal). So, if I change the oil every 7K like factory states, it will be empty.
    JUNK MOTOR.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • kruckerkrucker Member Posts: 1
    Is there a pressure release valve when fuel is at or less than 1/4 tank? Was driving the other day and found gas leaking under fuel tank. When I got the car home all leaking stopped. And has not leaked since.
  • mintykmintyk Member Posts: 1
    hi i wonder if any 1 can help i have a 1.6 fsi mk 5 golf & the engine managment light came on, the code which came up was 19498 heat regulation (P3042)
    the dealership advised me it was the cam belt which i got changed, but a week later it has come up again
    Does any one now what that code means?
  • vwalyvwaly Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    Wondering if anyone out there had some good advice.

My Golf GT TDI Mk 5 is misfiring around 30mph intermittantely. The dealer says there is no problems and its still under warranty. The car is also stalling from cold if not 'revved' up enough. Hard to do when you drive an automatic!

Anyone had similar problems to this?
  • johng877johng877 Member Posts: 1
    i hope someone can help me i have a 98 vw golf 2.0L i was on the 401 hwy and the car shut off and never started after that i thought it was the pump because i left it low all the time stupid me but anyway i put a new pump in still never started so we checked the spark no spark so i just put another coil on now it still wont start only this time it chugs when u turn the key off so lots of gas lots of spark i was thinking maybe the timing jumped but im not sure hope someone knows something

thnx you
    john :confuse:
  • volkydubvolkydub Member Posts: 1
    Hi there - Mine has had the same misfire since i owned it (Bought from new 2004), been in the garage for weeks at a time, mine had the stalling at first, always worse in the rain or when damp, had several software reloads on the ECU to the latest version, only things that make it better is using the premium diesel or adding millers fuel additive, also runs best on BP standard diesel, best improvement was a year ago when they changed a sensor on the fuel pump after having it for a week. But still doing it, did it today, seems to be around the 1100 -1300 Rev range (30mph), if you hold it around this in neutral you can feel the car running rough / mis-firing, mine does it on same road same place every morning,ok when warmed up, but can do it when hot also, VW say its a known problem and they all do it! Great eh! what about fixing it. Not bad for a car that cost me 20k!
  • markj13markj13 Member Posts: 6
    i have a vw golf,1.9tdi pd 150bhp.its running on 3 cylinders all the time,all of a sudden happened when it was under power.is there any common faults on these engines i need to look for or has anyone had the same happen to them???cheers
  • bluec10bluec10 Member Posts: 1
    I've come to the end of a long road repairing my Golf. The car has been sitting for about a year. I added some fresh gas to the tank and some injector cleaner. I just replaced a bunch of gaskets, including the head gasket, repaired the exhaust, and put in new NGK plugs. I was very careful to set the #1 cylinder at TDC before I removed the head and I wired the timing pully so it couldn't move. I've double and triple checked all the connections and wires. When I crank the car it turns over, but won't run more than a few seconds. It sounds kind of like a Harley. The RPMs don't get over 1000. I suspect it might be a timing issue (?), but there is no way to adjust the timeing except by moving the belt/pulley relationship. Could it be a sensor? Any help would be welcome.
  • wans2008wans2008 Member Posts: 1
    i've had a problem with my golf for the last 6 months. it miss fires when stationary, i had the plugs changed on a service, ive also changed leads, rotary arm and distributor cap but miss fire is still their. it shakes the engine around which has caused my exhaust to fall apart a few times now. i don't know what to do next, Anyone got any ideas for me?
  • skratovilskratovil Member Posts: 1
    87 Golf 1.8 engine

Problem:

itermittent slight loss of power, slight hesitation during acceleration. Car idles OK sometimes but when giving it gas in park it hesitates a little. When driving on the road it can run for 15min l go back to running crappy after 15 minutes. Had a vw garage tell me its the ecu or 02 sensor after spending 2.5 hrs diagnosing. they said they needed 3-4 more hrs to diagnose further. I replaced fuel pump, filter, 02 sensor, checked vacume lines etc. still not fixed. I did notice that unplugging LAmbda valve harness connection next to fuel distributor the car ran the same as if the computer is not seeing it.

Thanks in advance for any advise. scott
  • scowlscowl Member Posts: 1
    Fionah! You posted this over a year ago and I am having the same exact problem with the EPC light and the emissions light. I have the exact same milage on my car as you did when you had this problem. Did you ever figure out what it was????
  • bluishgolfbluishgolf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Golf GL. It was running fine for about 45 minutes and then died when I was turning at a light. Had to tow it and since then have checked to see if it had sparks and it did. Checked the fuel pump and it was fine. Would like to plug it into a diagnostic port but cant find it. The electrical system is fine too but it still wont start. Can any one PLEASE help me??????
  • trujiliotrujilio Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. The car starts, it has spark, but turns off consistantly. I know of only 3 possible problems. The cps (crank position sensor), the coil pack, or the chip in the key. I also know that you can check the resistance of the cps and the coil pack to verify they are working within factory specs. But I am looking for those resistance specs. Once I am certain that these 2 parts are within specs I can only deduce that the chip in the key maybe on it's way out. Have you resolved the issue with your car? What did you check and what was ultimately the problem?