Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi News

rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
edited January 3 in Mitsubishi
Do any of you think over the last couple of years, and now what we've seen at the Detroit Autoshow, that Mitsubishi Motors has pulled off a small turn around and become a small profitable niche brand ?????

I personally believe that they are well on their way :)

Rocky

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Give me a grade on the current products that are being sold now and another grade based on near production model coming out with the Lacer/EVO.

We won't get to see the EVO Prototype in production yet for about a year :cry:

Rocky
  • but I sure do like the new 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer design. I wouldn't get an EVO anyway so that doesn't mean much to me.

I want more information on the new Lancer base model and what Mitsu will offer on it as standard equipment, like ABS, EBD, airbags coming out your ears, etc. Also what will the base 5-speed model cost. That's news this Arizonan can really use. The new Outlander looks good on the surface but I really don't have any performance grading information on either rig at this time. I can tell from these two new Mitsubishi products that they're working hard on producing good solid automotives right now.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

iluv, I like the new Lancer also. I even like the base model but the EVO Prototype-X is my favorite. Perhaps this link will help you out pal. :)

http://www.lancerproject.com

Rocky
  • are you getting snow over there in Tejas? Here in the greater Tucson area we have snow levels lowering by the minute but no snow on our ground yet.

I agree that Mitsubishi is doing way better. And you'll notice that less and less Internet car freaks are calling for their U.S. dismissal? I know that what Mitsubishi would really like is more people springing for their own Mitsubishi and not just "pulling for them" to survive.

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    is important, to be sure. From the press and pics, I'd say it looks good on paper, but it really has to offer something class-leading to do any good for Mitsu. That class-leading trait could be value if not performance, but it has to be on top in something.

The Eclipse debacle is going take a lot of erasing. It's taken this long to get sales numbers back up to 2003 territory. The coupe that was supposed to float Mitsu's boat would be a serious albatross but for fleet sales.

I like Mitsu, but if they're going to stay serious in NA, they really have to get an edge in some mainstream category and hold it.
  • looks like a winner to me!
    Supposed to hit dealerships in March.
    We(spouse and myself) are hoping to see one at the Columbus, OH autoshow in Mid-March( check it out throughly, w/o a sales rep breathing down our necks).
    Definitely going to go test drive one this Spring!

take care/not offense.
  • derrado1derrado1 Posts: 194
    Rocky, "reborned" is not a word. I have no idea how anybody could think it is a word, as it both looks and sounds ridiculous. The word you're looking for is "reborn"

And no, I don't see Mitsubishi becoming any more than a niche player in the US market. It's never really been as popular as Toyota and Honda, even during the glory days of the Eclipse and the Diamond Star Motors operation. Sales will increase, sure, with the more mainstream Lancer and Outlander and that will save them from total obscurity, but they won't be vying for sales spots with Toyota, Honda or even Nissan.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,692
    This may be a dumb question but what Eclipse debacle? I know that the GS was panned by Consumer Reports but the rest of the auto press gave somewhat favorable reviews. In looking at the performance specs it seems to handle well for a FWD and has pretty good power in the GT. Most of the bashing I see on these forums seems to come from the tuners who wish it was an AWD turbo that weighs 2800 pounds. Or are you referring to the lackluster sales which I gather are about half what Mitsu had hoped. BTW, I notice Edmunds says there is $2000 cash back on the GT.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "And no, I don't see Mitsubishi becoming any more than a niche player in the US market. It's never really been as popular as Toyota and Honda, even during the glory days of the Eclipse and the Diamond Star Motors operation. Sales will increase, sure, with the more mainstream Lancer and Outlander and that will save them from total obscurity, but they won't be vying for sales spots with Toyota, Honda or even Nissan."

I agree they will not be vying for Japanese Big 3 customers but I think sales will go up in the next 3 years. In my opinion it will take them years and years to garner respect like Honda and Toyota. I was reading an article in which Mitsu's sales goal in the US by 2010 was to reach 170K units a year in total sales. In my opinion they might reach 140K-145K units by 2010. On a down note Nissan's luxury Infinti brand outsold Mitsu in 2006(Infinti sold 121K units vs Mitsu 118K units in the US.)

Mitsu;s current model mix:

The Outlander looks alot better than the last generation model on the outside. In my opinion the current Outlander it looks to be the size of the 4 Runner or the Honda Pilot at least from what I saw on the outside. I thought the Outlander was supposed to compete with the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. The 2006+ Eclipse despite weighing more than enthusiasts would like is alot more respected than the 2000-2005 models. The Galant needs a redo ASAP with a better and a much more clean looking appearence bu that won;t come until the 2009 model year I think when a new generation should come out. I mean in 2006 the Galant sold 23K units which is far behind in sales even behind Mazda 6 sales of 66K units sold in 2006. In my opinion its going to be hard to boost Mitsu;s sales to 170K units by 2010 without a new Galant until 2009.

Here's Mitsu sales in the US in the past 4 years:

2002: 369K
    2003: 256K units(I think early in 2003 year they put a stop to the 0/0/0 deals.)
    2004: 150K units I think
    2005: 150K
    2006: 125K

In my opinion too Mitsu needs a better dealer network too. I mean there is only 1 Mitsu that is close to my house. The other Mitsu dealer that could be considered close by me is 40 minutes away and is hard to get too.
    Mitsu sales went like this from 2002-2006 in the US:

2002: 369K units
    2003: 256K units
    2004: 150K units I think
    2005: 125K units
    2006: 118K units

I wrote 150K twice for model years 2004 and 2005 by accident in my last post.
    You pretty much covered the finer points!
    }-]
  • kronykrony Posts: 110
    Seems to me the biggest challenge is dealers. Here in the midwest you rarely see Mitsu carried by the large multi-brand dealers and almost never see a large standalone one. May be different on the coasts...without strong dealers a turnaround will be tough.
  • yeah, I dig the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, too. I am interested on learning a whole lot more about it. That is one nice looking body style. Gorgeous front end and that little car is one that a spoiler does look good on. A lot of rigs are ruined by having a spoiler out back like that but not this Lancer. If the Lancer indeed looks like the one I've seen in pictures and that's not the new EVO(they are supposed to closely resemble each other)then count me in with interest.
    My wife and I will pay the Sportsman off about June, so driving the '01 Sportage 4x4 until it's wheels fall off enjoying no car payments will probably rule until it becomes imperative we get a new rig.

And no, I'm not gonna get a used rig, either. Cars are getting so good and $15,000 will stilll buy a decent rig with a decent Warranty, so getting a used rig doesn't appeal to me. I'll be looking at the new Lancer, new Kia Optima, new '08 Chevy Malibu(I really like the new 'Bu in early looks at it on the net), new Suzuki SX4 crossover and sedan and the new Dodge Hornet. Maybe we'll be seriously ready to spend hard-earned pesos on a new car about the time the new Dodge Hornet arrives from China! I'll take it with that silver as a base color and some of those dark grey racing stripes heading right down the center on both sides. Coolio topped off with an Iglesias! It would be cool if DCX did offer the new Hornet's standard with those racing stripes.

Schweeet! :shades:

there are stand alone Mitsu shops. My experience with them is that they have been a significant roadblock to moving the brand forward, regardless of density or lack thereof.

Some of the worst... no, the all-out worst dealership experiences I've encountered have been at Mitsu stands. To an even greater degree than at some of the old Dodge shops, I have come away more confused than I went in, and feeling rather badly in need of a shower.

And that was when they had seriously competitive product I really wanted!

Hopefully that's been polished up a bit in the last few years.

These folks need a hit here...
  • all of this information does figure in when someone finds a new car they're interested in, indeed. My Kia service centers have been professional and courteous and have looked to take care of me and that's going to be hard to top. Figuring in the generous Kia Warranty and low initial pricing it may be hard to leave the brand come trade-in time. Yes.

The new '08 Lancer looks very cool, though. Maybe a BBB search of local Tucson Mitsu dealers might be useful before even getting to test drive time. Seriously!

• 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    They need to dump the Raider (and I think the sales figures support my argument). A lot of times, people buy Japanese trucks in order to get better reliability (perceived?) than their domestic competitors. The Raider is nothing more than a rebadged Dodge Dakota.

The new Outlander is nice looking. Nice size, engine is about right for the vehicle (ample power), and the refinement looks good. However, it is now very similar to the Endeavor in size, so that would mean Mitsu needs to do something with the Endeavor. Since the Montero is now discontinued, maybe the Endeavor could be Mitsu's "capable off-road" vehicle. They have a strong history in off road racing with the Montero, so I think they should re-do the Endeavor to fill this niche. Where the Montero was a luxury, off-roader, maybe the Endeavor could be redesigned to compete with the Toyota FJ, or Nissan X-Terra???

With the Eclipse, Mitsubishi is kind of caught between a rock and a hard place. The "tuners" want an AWD, turbo variant, but if this were available, it would compete too much with the EVO - it would probably even be at the same price point as the Evo in this configuration. However, something needs to be done about the V6, GT Eclipse, as it is too heavy of an engine, and too much power going to the front wheels, in my opinion. Maybe the Eclipse should ONLY be offered as a convertible (Spyder) version??? It could be offered with a larger 4 cyl, or a toned down 6 cyl that would make it more of a competitor for the Chrysler Sebring convertible.

The new Lancer also looks very nice (from the pics I have seen anyways).

Lastly, there is the Galant. It is never going to compete head on with the CamCords in terms of volume, but if it were redesigned with the same level of refinement as the new Outlander, and possibly the new Lancer seems to have, it could be a decent alternative.
    The Eclipse was never competition for the Evo, nor vice-versa. Coupe v. sedan and room for both.

It's too easy to lay it off to the "tuner" crowd. I'm no tuner, and I'm one the biggest critics of the front-heavy, overly-padded exclusively FWD'er the thing has become. It lacks any of the sporting pretense that made it great to begin with. It has become just another entry in the boulevard cruiser class, with a price that makes it attractive, but little else to recommend it over other alternatives. It's an also-ran. Even with a much better skin than the last gen, it's too big, too heavy, and too trendily appointed.

Mitsu made it very clear that the hoped to broaden the appeal of the model with the last generation, and it worked. Unfortunately, upping the target demographic of any model, while perhaps successful in the short term, is usually the kiss of death for a model or a line long term. This latest is just more motion in the wrong direction.

Reality is that Mitsu is not a mainstream contender in NA, and won't be, and that they stand a much better chance playing to their strengths. What they lack in refinement, they can easily make up for in engineering, IMO.

Aside: the genII Eclipse was a work of art outside and in. The cockpit ergonomics and styling make it my all-time favorite, regardless of the somewhat cheap quality of the materials used. I still regard it as the benchmark of what a driver's control center should be; everything in close proximity and where it should be, with very little doo-daddery and fluff. A close and cocooning space that focuses you on driving. Pure art. That's the kind of attention that made it so popular, and the attention was also focused on the appropriate running gear, which was the other half of a great equation. That the exterior styling was so succint and tasteful was merely icing on a great cake.

I like the first look of the Lancer. I think a new home-run Gallant is a must.
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    they need to offer something with the same hardware as the evo but a notch below. A competitor with the regular wrx, civic si, colbalt ss....etc. Right now, nobody offers a fastback style in that segment. I think the exterior style of the eclipse beats the other boxes on wheels, but they need something more suitable in the engine area and a big o honking v6 is not the answer.

seeing how the fit, xa, xb, yaris are doing, I don't understand why they're not bringing their D5 hatch over. If DCX is courageous enough to bring the smart over using a brand new dealer network, what is stopping mitsu from bringing their more versatile D5? They have one of the lowest customer age anyways and should offer products their cusomter base wants. Not a supersized galant or cuv, but something smaller and easy to maintain, or with a performance edge.

Go where there seems to be a gaping hole in the market: a cuv with the size, weight and cost similar to the 1st gen rav4 now that it's gone supersize and is not cheap anymore. The 5 door and a new lancer wagon (regular and hopped up flavor), where ford discontinued the focus 5 dr and wagon. And diesel engines
    Yeah we received 6-12 inches depending on where one lives. ;)

Rocky
    I do agree Mitsubishi, will be a "niche" player. I however do think they can be a profitable one in the future instead of losing money like they have. :)

Rocky
    "Some of the worst... no, the all-out worst dealership experiences I've encountered have been at Mitsu stands."

Yeah Mitsu dealers in JD powers surveys for sales satisfaction are continuously ranked near the bottom of their surveys.
  • we got 6 inches of the stuff overnight. We heard on the Tucson news that the greater Tucson area usually gets snow every 5th year. It is cooolllllddddd over here in the desert, boys!

Yeah, I like the current Eclipse but it's the new Lancer that could possibly make me trade in small SUV life for the 4-door sedan.

Upon close inspection the new '08 Lancer doesn't seem to crimp on style in the back or front. And it's a little sedan that seems to be enhanced by it's spoiler, not spoiled by it.

I need to see the actual production base Lancer and see what Mitsu is going to price it, spec sheet, list of features, etc. If I could pick up a nicely appointed '08 base model Lancer with a 5-speed manual tranny for around $15,000 (with a generous Kia-type Warranty) I might be enticed to snap and bite that one right up. It will have the new "world" engine of Mitsu's-Hyundai's and DCX's, 2.4L 4 cyl.

Something tells me that all of that last paragraph could be in the realm of possibility. Mitsu can't afford to include Honda or Toyota pricing on complete re-design models in a market that they're really lurching to try and get back into.

And the goofy 0-0-0 plan won't be repeated, either. :D

I mainly as a domestic fan do like the styling of the new Lancer. It seems to pack a bunch of features for the buck. I however personally am a huge fan of the EVO-X. I do think the Outlander is a nice SUV also but could use a bit more power. I do think Mitsubishi, is headed in the right direction for the first time in several years.

Rocky
  • Well, lookee here. Mitsu is turning their ship around and they are getting right to work on it. They're not outta da woods yet but I'm thinking they're going to make it. I am interested because I see product of theirs that I would enjoy...it's not a big stretch, really. Same with Suzuki, I need to research their dealer network more and see if they would "back up" the sale of the rig with good service after the sale.

Well I think Mitsu is in better shape than Suzuki. ;)

Rocky
    Less raucous, more robust

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=44788?tid=edmu- - nds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

iluv, you will like this article pal. ;)

Rocky

I think the Lancer/Outlander will prove to be critical parts for mitsubishi's turn-around. 10-20 years we will look at both of these vehicals and say they were the starting point. ;)

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    ...dealers have a bad rep around Philly. They market mostly to low-income folks with poor credit. The most notorious is the one at the Cherry Hill triplex that constantly airs screamer ads between Maury Povich and Jerry Springer. Good God, the salesman in the commercial even looks like a slimeball.
    Well the only car I've ever liked a lot from mitsubishi is the new 08' EVO-X. It's pretty upscale and I like the performance and "state of the art" technology.

Rocky
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,692
    Lancer looks nice. Big style improvement. Why couldn't they put the Al engine block in the Eclipse 3.8 motor to save weight too?

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

I'm not sure.....I'm not what one would call a huge fan of mitsubishi, and have a limited knowledge on their company. I just happen t like the EVO-X, and to appluad the efforts they've made in trying to reverse the slide. ;)

Rocky