Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    edited April 2010
    I am of the opinion that both Mitsubishi and Suzuki are going to stay in the U.S. Execs from both companies have gone on record saying they're gonna stay.

I think both will. And between Kia, Mitsubishi and Suzuki I have found automotive happiness. The fact that I used to defend Kia's honor for years on Edmunds yet strayed in 2007 and traded our 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4 in on a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS shows I'm not a brand snob by any means. I will stray, and Suzuki's new Kizashi Sport due to dealers in August of 2011(it'll be here before you know it), has me thinking a first time Suzuki purchase.

I first looked at Kizashi's at Salazar Kia in Avondale, AZ. The '08 Lancer GTS was in getting an Auto Butler (paint protectant and clear coating every 6-month service) and an oil change there at Avondale Mitsubishi. I didn't test drive then, because the 2010 Kizashi was an automatic tranny and it wasn't my color. But the salesman started volunteering his opinion on Suzuki to me. He first said they make great cars. I tended to agree with him. Then he told me the real low-down on them. He said that Suzuki "doesn't care" about NA sales. He said don't get me wrong, they care, but they really don't because they make so much from Asian sales (they're the kei-class Kings) and they make so much from their worldwide Marine division that car sales in the U.S. can be a drop in the bucket and they won't mind.

I thought about that and agreed kindly with him at the dealership. But upon further reflection it occurred to me that he was right. And coupled with the fact that (in case nobody else here on Edmunds but me has noticed this) Suzuki's CEO from Japan has openly stated that they are not leaving the American marketplace, one must conclude that an August 2010 purchase of a 2011 Suzuki Kizashi is a pretty safe Nevada bet.

But this is a Mitsubishi News thread, and I still own a Mitsubishi. Let me say this, competition between automakers is a really good thing. Heck, between my top 3 automakers there is so much goodness to be had that I would never ever be able to enjoy all of their fruitage, even if I could afford it. I would never have the time required to play with all of their stables in their entirety.

My 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has been a flawless and strong car, and I may not even trade it in like I've been threatening to. It is so cool looking as well. I've been playing with the CVT titanium paddle shifting system and it works great. I have just been missing driving a stick so badly lately that a 2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6-speed seems a no-brainer. The car has been getting a lot of attention of late because it was at the NY Auto show, and it drew much attention. Great new enhanced handling and many superficial amenities added to make a great package for $23,400 even better. I'm guessing it will go up in price to $23,599 with the GTS Sport package. I will probably have Dillon Suzuki of Boise, ID, order this car for me.

But Mitsubishi is doing fine. And just keeping the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS would not be like having lunch with Kobe Bryant, either.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,248
    iluv, does it concern you that there's no Suzuki auto dealer near Elko? I see some in Salt Lake City (230 miles away) and Reno (288 miles).

Maybe not, since the closest Mitsu & Kia dealers are about 190 miles away in Boise. :)
    edited April 2010
    no, it doesn't. The closest Suzuki dealer to me will be Dennis Dillon Suzuki in Boise, ID. So, like the Mitsubishi and Kia dealer, the nearest Suzuki dealer is the same distance away. Long distance. Long distances in Nevada is the norm. This place has so much open, airy land it's unbelievable.

Have to play my music loud on long Nevada journeys to keep me awake. The '11 Suzuki Sport will have the same 425-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo that the '10 Kizashi GTS does.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,576
    edited April 2010
    I used to defend Kia's honor for years on Edmunds

You know, people used to think Kia didn't have a chance to break into the North American market either. So much for that doom and gloom.

The last time I went to Dennis Dillon it was to look at the Cube and SX-4. Same store also sells Kias, Mazdas and GMCs (lots of truck sales). No salesperson in sight at either of the two showrooms, naturally. Haven't had any service done there for probably 7 years but I'd go back.

There's a Mitsubishi dealer here too.

And 190 miles out in the big empty West is like an ice cream run. :shades:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• authurdentauthurdent Posts: 82
    edited April 2010
    The auto industry has been guessing at Mitsu's NA demise for a good 20 years. Like Suzuki, Mitsu sales are much stronger elsewhere. I don' think the maker is going anywhere, but I'd sure like to see some advertising. Mitsu has a fairly strong line-up of reliable cars, particularly Lancer and Outlander. And the Galant is no slouch either, but the look is a bit dates. Eclipse still looks good, but its a niche car. And Endeavor is fine, but the time for larger SUV's has come-and-gone.

I'm excited about the prospects for the Outlander Sport. We had really considered the Sportback, but not crazy about the rear visibility. If the Sport was available, there's a good chance we might have gone home with one. Although, I'm sure glad to have the utility of the big-brother Outie. Not thrilled about mpg, but we only fill up every 1.5 months, so no big hardship.
    Lancer Sportback was advertised a lot during the winter Olympics. Before & after that, the Outlander commercial with the invisible people has been running. I still see the Lancer Sportback commercial from time to time.

Endeavor took 2009 off - there was a 2008, no 200,9 but it's back for 2010. Obviously not a sales darling. I see a reasonable number of current gen Galants on the road (I think Chicagoland people like Mitsu a little more than average) but it is a dated design, going back to 2004 with no major updates. To boost average economy & probably to simplify manufacturing the V6 Galant was canceled. Eclipse has too much competition from the Altima coupe + others and it rides on that dated Galant platform.

I really see the Lancer & Outlander as Mitsu's only stars at the moment. Hopefully the Outlander Sport will be added as a 3rd when it ships. Problem is, both stars are in very, very competitive fields and Mitsu's smaller advertising budget & more limited dealer network will prohibit them from any runaway success. All we, as Mitsu fans, can do is hope the steady if modest growth continues.
    And 190 miles out in the big empty West is like an ice cream run.

You are spot on there, bro. :shades:

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Posts: 272
    Looks like Mitsu has abandoned the “It’s go time” motto. It doesn’t appear on their website anymore. The new theme seems to be “different/unique”. So maybe the new motto will be something like – “be different”, “unique is good”, “find a different path”, etc.

Also, the Eclipse has been refreshed for 2011. All coupes get the blacked out front grill, twin exhaust tips, automatic transmission, lowered suspension, and (my favorite) a blacked out roof. The roof is the salute to the first Eclipse from 20 years ago. Since Mitsu continues to revise the car, maybe it will be transitioned to the Lancer platform once the Galant/Endeavour are phased out.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 904
    We just drove our '07 Outlander from Wisconsin to Louisiana and back. About 2300 miles, and the car did great. Anyway, we were joking about Mitsu dealers in rural Louisiana if we would need service, we spotted one in Baton Rouge, and one around Memphis, I think, both were shut down, no cars at either!

We also tried to spot other Outlanders, didn't see one outside of Chicago throughout the whole trip. Just Galants, and the occasianal Eclipse or Montero.

I also have a Lincoln LS, and we amused ourselves playing Geezer or Gangsta.
    If you see a LS, either the driver is 79 years old, or a young guy with rims and booming sound system. Ratio was about 75% geezer, 25% gansta. (I'm neither, but probably closer to geezer. ;)
    but my three favorite carmakers are Mitsubishi, Suzuki and Kia. Two are said to be disappearing and one is slightly surging (yep-Kia).

I'll say this, Mitsu makes fantastic cars and I'm not gonna abandon them.

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 904
    Not a big Kia fan, but I know a few people that own them, and they're very happy with them.
    New Sorento looks pretty nice, too.
  • This is what I think the Mitsu line up ought to be, with copious amounts of advertising of course

i-Miev - smart size for a full electric city car
    Lancer - fine as-is (minus the wing), but just the 2.0L (for gas mileage)
    Lancer convertible - maybe 2.0T, dump the Eclipse & Spider
    EVO - can't get rid of the most exciting car
    Outlander Sport - nice spec, just like Rogue
    Outlander - temptation would be to lengthen, slot with Murano, and take the place of the Endeavor, but I might avoid that temptation

But what about the Galant? Can a car-maker really skip the mid-size? Mitsu already dumped their big car with the Diamante. I'm thinking the Lancer-Sport-Outlander might manage the spread, but maybe a WHOLE new car should be developed, with an entirely new look and name.
    edited April 2010
    PX-MiEV to sell. Here's a picture of this new "larger than Outlander" rig currenlty under development.

Looking much like a butch Outlander, the PX-MiEV is perhaps more notable for what lies underneath its five-door bodyshell. Mitsubishi has equipped the concept with its S-AWC all-wheel-drive system (you'll find a similar setup in the Lancer Evolution), but uses two electric motors -- one at each axle -- for power. The PX-MiEV has an approximately 30-mile range in EV mode, but a 1.6-liter I-4 can serve as a generator for longer trips. If those journeys also require higher speeds or passing maneuvers, the four-banger can directly power the front wheels -- something that can't be said for the Chevrolet Volt.

http://www.automobilemag.com/green/news/0910_mitsubishi_px_miev_plugin_hybrid_co- - - - ncept/index.html

Our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is a great car. I am very happy to have it and it's 2.0L 152-hp 4-banger is delivering the goods and the fuel economy. We are averaging 24 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. In nice viewing style, might I add. Like I've posted before here on Edmunds, my favorite bodystyle of all time is the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer GTS(note the GTS, it hasta be the GTS because of the wrap-around bodykit, foglights, 650-watt RF stereo, etc.)followed by the 1965 Ford Mustang.

edited April 2010
    "This is what I think the Mitsu line up ought to be..."

I like your ideas. To add to them
    Also sell the gas version of the i-MiEV, the i (I think that's what it's called)
    Keep the Eclipse name plate but use it on a coupe version of the Lancer

I think you're right about the mid-size car, too.
  • I like the PX except for the seeming lack of visibility. Not bad looking, distinctive.

Is the Lancer popular enough to spin off variants? That would be my chief concern.

Accord, Camry and Focus seem to have the midsize covered. If cost & gas were no concern, I think people prefer the entry/exit ease, commanding view and utility of SUVs. The trick seems to find the ideal size and greatest possible efficiency.

All that said, I just passenger'ed in a Mazda3. Nice space, pleasant seating and not terrible for entry/exit. If I were a (struggling) carmaker, I'd concentrate on compact cars and compact/midsize SUVs.
    edited April 2010
    the Mitsubishi Lancer variant that I think will pay dividends is the Mitsubishi Lancer Hybrid. That car will no doubt very likely be my next rig. Because the i-MiEV is a nice all-electric car, however, my wife and I are gonna be living in small Elko, NV. There will be no Tucson, AZ (one million people) 80 miles to the west.

That means that if we want to drive to a real city that will be driving 191 miles north, to Boise, ID(the home of our Edmund's host, steve) and Salt Lake City, UT, will be 250 miles to our east. Reno, NV, will be 245 miles to our west.

So, we'll either need to keep our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS ICE car and get the good range that is available with an ICE car, or, if I get an itchy finger, purchase a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS Hybrid.

2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Hybrid

I'm falling back in love with our Lancer GTS. I was falling for the 2010 Suzuki Kizashi but I'm not sure it's gonna stick. The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is proving ta be the hostest with the mostest.

Evo Coupe. :)
    edited April 2010
    I also fell hard for the 2007 Suzuki SX-4. I still like it but no longer love it.

However, the 2010 Suzuki Kizashi is still right in my sights. I just don't think it would make me spring from my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS.

I love this car!

edited April 2010
    this image of my car (oh, OK, not my exact car, but a similar model exactly to mine) is my favorite picture ever taken of the beautiful car.

That captures the sexy image of the car perfectly.

• psychogunpsychogun Posts: 125
    I like your line-up and suggestion for an all-new Galant. Below is my wish-list:

- iMIEV (based on the slightly up-sized concept shown in Paris)

- i w/ ICE (also based on up-sized concept and with a 1.0 GDI or 1.1l GDI engine)

- next-gen COLT (expected to be smaller than current version sold in EU/JDM and elsewhere. Preferably with 1.3 GDI and 1.3 GDI turbo engines)

- Lancer (next-gen due in 2012 as a '13 model, opt. hybrid version, needs better interior, GDI engines, 6-speed manual, and revised CVT or 6-speed auto)

- Outlander Sport (needs 2.4l, 6-speed manual)

- Lancer coupe to replace Eclipse (smaller/lighter with 2.4l GDI and 2.0l GDI turbo, TC-SST and 6-speed manual)

- All new Galant based on Concept ZT but smaller (only slightly larger than Lancer, with 2.4l GDI and 2.0l GDI turbo, 6-speed auto)

- Outlander (next gen comes in 2011 as a '12 model, opt. hybrid version, 2.4l GDI and 2.0l GDI turbo, 6-speed auto and TC-SST)

These last three are long-shots and probably would only work if Mitsubishi can clear the diesel EPA emissions for all 50 states and a trade agreement is signed between the US and Thailand.

- Montero Sport (2.5l common-rail DI turbo diesel w/ VG/VD turbo, 5- speed auto)

- L200 Triton pick-up (2.5l common-rail DI turbo diesel w/ VG/VD turbo, 5- speed auto or 6-speed manual)

- Montero (3.2l common-rail DI turbo diesel w/ VG/VD turbo, 5- speed auto)

In the near-term, Mitsubishi really needs to increase ad spend and also create a better marketing/PR strategy, as well as, improve the interiors in all vehicles.
  • I really did like our 1991 Colt, and a small Golf-like wagon might be good, but for a cash-strapped automaker, your list is too complicated. If anything, Mitsubishi needs to pair down its offerings and strengthen is stronger models, in the USA at any rate.

I think expanding the Lancer model to include a hybrid, convertible, etc, sounds good. And expanding the Outlander to include a hybrid, and Sport makes sense.

Not sure how or why you'd bring back the Montero, especially if you get rid of the Endeavor. And forget about the pickup. Leave pickups to Ford and GM.

There probably is no escaping the mid-size, but it would be BOLD for Mitsu to forego the hum-drum family car, and focus on economy and utility, and of course pizazz! The i-Miev looks like a much more usable Fortwo. If the i-Miev takes off, I'd definitely expand around that model.

i-Miev, Lancer, Sport and Outlander, that's it!
    on the 6-speed manual for the Lancer GTS and the Lancer Hybrid in 2013. Bring 'em Mitsu!

I still think Mitsu should keep the Eclipse but use the Lancer platform. The first and second generation Eclipse (turbo models) used the 4G63 engine from the Evolution. Once Mitsu stopped using the Evo setup, (Generations 3 to current) the Eclipse sales numbers fell off. I'm all for a Lancer coupe/convertible -- just name it Eclipse. Especially since the Eclipse nameplate still has a good history in that arena.

The Montero is still built and sold around the world. Some people (unlike me, hahaha) actually use there SUV's to pull stuff like boats. Also, having a Honda Pilot sized SUV in the lineup is something that Mitsu would probably like to do. The Outlander doesn't quite fit the bill in that regard, but the Montero does.

Also, the Triton (Mitsu's pickup) is sold around the world. We don't get in the US because of some weird "chicken tax".

In the end, I'm glad that we're having a lively discussion about Mitsu's product lineup.
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if this concept SUV Mitsubishi is working on called the PX-MiEV could pull your boat. The one you don't have. Or the boat you do have but just don't pull with your Outlander.

Do you have an Outlander? Refresh my feeble memory.

Haha! Good one. I've the old school first generation Outy. Closing in on 200K miles. We'll trade it in near the end of 2010.
    a meager increase...

CYPRESS, CA - May 3, 2010: Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced that it followed a 17.6 percent increase in March, with another sales increase in April.

Sales boosts for MMNA's North American-built cars (Galant, Eclipse, and Eclipse Spyder) and the Outlander crossover-SUV led April 2010 sales of 3,932, .3 % higher than April 2009.

"We are encouraged to put together two successful months consecutively," said MMNA President & CEO Shin Kurihara, "We are hopeful that the economic recovery will continue, because we are demonstrating that the Mitsubishi brand can provide what customers want."

April highlights included:
    -- Outlander sales in April 2010 were up 34 percent compared to the prior year and are up 20 percent for the first four months of the year. April was Outlander's second best month of sales since August (2009).

-- Customers continue to be drawn to the new Lancer Sportback, which posted its second best month of sales since October 2009.

-- Galant sales were more than double the sales of the prior year (April 2009) and are ahead 72 percent year-to-date.

-- Eclipse sales were up 14 percent compared to April 2009. Eclipse showed its highest sales total since last August.

-- Spyder convertible sales were up 4 percent compared to a year ago. April was the best month for Spyder sales since July 2009.

-- Year to date sales of vehicles manufactured at MMNA's U.S. factory in Normal, Illinois, are up almost 16 percent. (Galant, Endeavor, Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder)

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, and marketing operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of more than 400 dealers.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2010/05/03/475981.html
    Sounds good, and as an Outlander owner I'm very happy to see those numbers continuing to be good, but I'm left wondering about regular Lancer sales since those aren't mentioned.

I'm surprised about the surge in Galant sales, unless last year's numbers were just too awful to contemplate.
    edited May 2010
    Sounds good, and as an Outlander owner I'm very happy to see those numbers continuing to be good, but I'm left wondering about regular Lancer sales since those aren't mentioned.

I'm surprised about the surge in Galant sales, unless last year's numbers were just too awful to contemplate.

I looked at the link and there were no Lancer numbers at all. Humm. I don't get that-except that perhaps the Lancer sedan models were just staying even and Sportback sales were more notably better.

And as for the Galant, man, I looked at one in Boulder City, NV, just north of the Hoover Dam, and I started to get in to its design more than I ever have. Not a bad looking design. Here it is.

Unique-but a good kind of unique.

The Galant's a good, solid car. I had one as a rental in Seattle this past January. The problem is that it's just good. Others are better. The Sonata & Optima, for instance, as well as the Fusion and the Kizashi are competitive on price while offering an overall better package.

As a current Mitsu owner & former Galant owner it pains me to say it, but if I was in the market for a midsize sedan, while I'd include the Galant in my selection process I doubt it would make the final cut. (Well, right now it certainly wouldn't as I only by V6-equipped cars and the current Galant only comes with an I4. Which also means the Sonata would be out.)

Anyway, Mitsu's official PR about April sales is at http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/0dbec61c-b192-6491-b710-ff394bdf14b6 and is the source text for the original link. So no mention of Lancer sales. It's possible they're down some if the Lancer Sportback is robbing some of their sales.
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Posts: 92
    This morning I heard a Mitsubishi commercial on the radio for two local dealers and I was pretty sure it was part of the national ad campaign as it used the tag line "Dare To Compare". It talked about the Galant only and mentioned the warranty, safety features, JD Powers, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, at the end it said the price for a new Galant was $16,000. That's for a full size 4 door sedan. Now, I'm sure that's a base model and we all know how car dealers get customers in the door but still... power windows, steering, AC, cruise, AM FM CD etc... Also,the mill in the Galant is pretty much based on the Mivec I have in my 2004 Outlander, about 165 hp and really zippy, great engine.

I still love my new Sportback the mostest but have driven the Galant and for 16k that sounds like a really good deal, even for a base.