Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• I really did like our 1991 Colt, and a small Golf-like wagon might be good, but for a cash-strapped automaker, your list is too complicated. If anything, Mitsubishi needs to pair down its offerings and strengthen is stronger models, in the USA at any rate.

I think expanding the Lancer model to include a hybrid, convertible, etc, sounds good. And expanding the Outlander to include a hybrid, and Sport makes sense.

Not sure how or why you'd bring back the Montero, especially if you get rid of the Endeavor. And forget about the pickup. Leave pickups to Ford and GM.

There probably is no escaping the mid-size, but it would be BOLD for Mitsu to forego the hum-drum family car, and focus on economy and utility, and of course pizazz! The i-Miev looks like a much more usable Fortwo. If the i-Miev takes off, I'd definitely expand around that model.

i-Miev, Lancer, Sport and Outlander, that's it!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    on the 6-speed manual for the Lancer GTS and the Lancer Hybrid in 2013. Bring 'em Mitsu!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Posts: 272
    I still think Mitsu should keep the Eclipse but use the Lancer platform. The first and second generation Eclipse (turbo models) used the 4G63 engine from the Evolution. Once Mitsu stopped using the Evo setup, (Generations 3 to current) the Eclipse sales numbers fell off. I'm all for a Lancer coupe/convertible -- just name it Eclipse. Especially since the Eclipse nameplate still has a good history in that arena.

The Montero is still built and sold around the world. Some people (unlike me, hahaha) actually use there SUV's to pull stuff like boats. Also, having a Honda Pilot sized SUV in the lineup is something that Mitsu would probably like to do. The Outlander doesn't quite fit the bill in that regard, but the Montero does.

Also, the Triton (Mitsu's pickup) is sold around the world. We don't get in the US because of some weird "chicken tax".

In the end, I'm glad that we're having a lively discussion about Mitsu's product lineup.
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if this concept SUV Mitsubishi is working on called the PX-MiEV could pull your boat. The one you don't have. Or the boat you do have but just don't pull with your Outlander.

Do you have an Outlander? Refresh my feeble memory.

Haha! Good one. I've the old school first generation Outy. Closing in on 200K miles. We'll trade it in near the end of 2010.
    a meager increase...

CYPRESS, CA - May 3, 2010: Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced that it followed a 17.6 percent increase in March, with another sales increase in April.

Sales boosts for MMNA's North American-built cars (Galant, Eclipse, and Eclipse Spyder) and the Outlander crossover-SUV led April 2010 sales of 3,932, .3 % higher than April 2009.

"We are encouraged to put together two successful months consecutively," said MMNA President & CEO Shin Kurihara, "We are hopeful that the economic recovery will continue, because we are demonstrating that the Mitsubishi brand can provide what customers want."

April highlights included:
    -- Outlander sales in April 2010 were up 34 percent compared to the prior year and are up 20 percent for the first four months of the year. April was Outlander's second best month of sales since August (2009).

-- Customers continue to be drawn to the new Lancer Sportback, which posted its second best month of sales since October 2009.

-- Galant sales were more than double the sales of the prior year (April 2009) and are ahead 72 percent year-to-date.

-- Eclipse sales were up 14 percent compared to April 2009. Eclipse showed its highest sales total since last August.

-- Spyder convertible sales were up 4 percent compared to a year ago. April was the best month for Spyder sales since July 2009.

-- Year to date sales of vehicles manufactured at MMNA's U.S. factory in Normal, Illinois, are up almost 16 percent. (Galant, Endeavor, Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder)

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, and marketing operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of more than 400 dealers.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2010/05/03/475981.html
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    Sounds good, and as an Outlander owner I'm very happy to see those numbers continuing to be good, but I'm left wondering about regular Lancer sales since those aren't mentioned.

I'm surprised about the surge in Galant sales, unless last year's numbers were just too awful to contemplate.
    edited May 2010
    Sounds good, and as an Outlander owner I'm very happy to see those numbers continuing to be good, but I'm left wondering about regular Lancer sales since those aren't mentioned.

I'm surprised about the surge in Galant sales, unless last year's numbers were just too awful to contemplate.

I looked at the link and there were no Lancer numbers at all. Humm. I don't get that-except that perhaps the Lancer sedan models were just staying even and Sportback sales were more notably better.

And as for the Galant, man, I looked at one in Boulder City, NV, just north of the Hoover Dam, and I started to get in to its design more than I ever have. Not a bad looking design. Here it is.

Unique-but a good kind of unique.

The Galant's a good, solid car. I had one as a rental in Seattle this past January. The problem is that it's just good. Others are better. The Sonata & Optima, for instance, as well as the Fusion and the Kizashi are competitive on price while offering an overall better package.

As a current Mitsu owner & former Galant owner it pains me to say it, but if I was in the market for a midsize sedan, while I'd include the Galant in my selection process I doubt it would make the final cut. (Well, right now it certainly wouldn't as I only by V6-equipped cars and the current Galant only comes with an I4. Which also means the Sonata would be out.)

Anyway, Mitsu's official PR about April sales is at http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/0dbec61c-b192-6491-b710-ff394bdf14b6 and is the source text for the original link. So no mention of Lancer sales. It's possible they're down some if the Lancer Sportback is robbing some of their sales.
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Posts: 92
    This morning I heard a Mitsubishi commercial on the radio for two local dealers and I was pretty sure it was part of the national ad campaign as it used the tag line "Dare To Compare". It talked about the Galant only and mentioned the warranty, safety features, JD Powers, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, at the end it said the price for a new Galant was $16,000. That's for a full size 4 door sedan. Now, I'm sure that's a base model and we all know how car dealers get customers in the door but still... power windows, steering, AC, cruise, AM FM CD etc... Also,the mill in the Galant is pretty much based on the Mivec I have in my 2004 Outlander, about 165 hp and really zippy, great engine.

I still love my new Sportback the mostest but have driven the Galant and for 16k that sounds like a really good deal, even for a base.
    $16K must include a huge dealer incentive. If you check the Mitsu web site the base ES lists at $22,344 with destination. There's a $3500 rebate to bring the price to $18,844. So the dealer is dropping almost $3K from list. That'll dig heavily into markup & profit and may even be a loss-leader.
    Yes. I suppose the 16K price could just be an agreement between those two particular dealers while still using the generic aspects of the commercial.

Great deal though.
    A very interesting article about expert automotive reviews

The Best (?) Car Reviews Money Can Buy: The Wall St. Journal Exposes the Car Magazine Review Scam

By Marc J. Rauch
    Exec. Vice President/Co-Publisher
    THE AUTO CHANNEL

For years, auto journalists and industry insiders have known or suspected that car magazine endorsements and Car-of-the-Year type awards” were often bestowed based upon the amount of advertising that a carmaker bought in a particular publication. Today, May 10th, the Wall Street Journal published an expose of how Consumers Digest, a monthly print magazine and website, has operated their particular pay-to-play scheme.

According to the WSJ story, car manufacturers pay up to $35,000 per vehicle for the right to use and quote a positive Consumers Digest car review. In particular, the story cites a sales-hungry General Motors as recently paying Consumers Digest as much as $335,000 to cover 15 different 2010 models. Nissan, KIA and Ford are other car makers who have “licensed” use of the endorsements. Chrysler is currently negotiating their license fee.

The Wall Street Journal says that such payments are one of Consumers Digest’s primary revenue streams.

Consumers Digest’s Editor, Rich Dzierwa, said the fees don’t influence its picks, and each winner is described in its magazine. However, WSJ points out that the website only publishes the reviews of those manufacturers who have paid the fee. The reviews are written by free-lance writers. Consumers Digest’s editors and publisher then decides on the winners.

Dzierwa also said that “There is no pressure on the editorial staff to consider products, to consider vehicles because either they have been licensees or because there is a possibility that they will be.”

So I’ll let you do the math: Consumers Digest has, let’s say, 10 journalists submitting reviews to them. The publisher and editor knows that they can get car makers to pay a lot of money for a good review (obviously they are not going to pay for a bad review), so do they accept positive reviews from their writers or negative reviews? Then, based upon past experience, they know which manufacturers are likely to want to license these reviews and awards. So would you go with reviews and awards to car makers that tell you to go the hell when you try to scam them, or would you use reviews and bestow awards to those who provide your primary revenue? Hmmm.

J.D. Power & Associates, while not a print publisher (although they are a web publisher among other things), sells results of their surveys to car makers and charges licensing fees for the use of those results in promotional campaigns. J.D. Power’s fees run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

By the way, The Auto Channel has never asked for or accepted money from a car maker for the use of its text or video reviews, and has never charged for the use of our sound-bite quotes. In addition, in the years that The Auto Channel has bestowed car-of-the-year awards, not only did we not charge any kind of use-fee for the notoriety, we have never asked the manufacturers to pay for the trophies.

In addition, because of our policy of providing all of our content for free to all visitors to TheAutoChannel.com, most all automotive websites don't charge for access to their content (they tried, but couldn't overcome us).
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,648
    It's still accusation by innuendo IMO, and rather self-serving by Auto Channel.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,914
    I think the only rag that will give an uninfluenced review is "Top Gear", and even they worship Jag a bit much. "Car" is another who does not care if they offend an advertiser. Most of the NA rags are way too positive about virtually everything they drive.
    edited May 2010
    I would agree with that--the mags are far too generous sometimes. Of course, if they do a vicious review, they will lose that advertiser, you can be sure.

Well, welcome to the real world. I don't see why car magazines need to be held to a higher standard than any other business. The car business has never been a hotbed of morality---except at Edmunds, of course :P

I do think though, that all mags or TV shows have their prejudices. I don't think Mitsubishi gets a fair shake sometimes.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    Consumer's Digest has always had that reputation.

The other fun expose is the fancy junkets the car manufacturers put on for the press. That's why you'll sometimes see a review of a car in a baby magazine that has a nod to how well it can carry a baby carriage.

The "reviews" in the newspaper car ad sections are about the worst.
    This doesn't surprise me at all considering the glut of "product review" mags out there nowadays. My mother-in-law has a subscription to Consumer Reports that I check out occasionally when I visit however I find it difficult to take a car review seriously when the reviewer was probably testing toasters or i-pods the day before. I personally would be more influenced by a review in something like Motor Trend. Even if they accept ad payola I have seen plenty of negative reviews on companies that still advertise in their pages.

I also noticed that the reviews in Consumer Reports for Mitsubishi ( for the Galant and Eclipse anyway) haven't changed in years. They haven't even changed the picture of the Eclipse in the last 4 years and the script is exactly the same. OK, maybe the car hasn't changed that much but the 4 cylinder has recieved some upgrades this year like dual exhaust and 18" tires while the Galant had some tuning and side air dams to increase mpg. It's obvious that CR didn't even bother to drive the cars and just ran the old review. I wonder how many thing they review that had minimal improvements in the last few years get the same treatment.
    Mitsubishi is not one of the Big Japanese Three, so they always get second billing.
    edited May 2010
    yep that's it. Kia gets the same treatment. I go more by my own test drive of the car and by what other testers think. Motor Trend is fine but I'd recommend going online and spending literally hundreds of hours learning about your potential new car purchase.

I did that before buying my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. It was this website's review of the '08 Lancer GTS that sealed the purchase for me. Loved this review and it is a very fair review. OK, it does include a lot of pictures from the San Diego car museum. Or whatever that place is they visit. But I learned from that set of pics/info., too! :D Here is the link if you're curious as a domestic housecat.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Spies-give-you-an-early-preview-of-the-next-Mitsub- - ishi-EVO-12186/