Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Evo sales are up 18% year-to-date v. 2010 YTD. It'd be odd to drop a product that people are buying in increasing numbers even if it does represent a small percent of overall sales.

As to going green, there's no reason the Evo can't sit next to the i-MiEV. The Aveo sits next to the Corvette, after all.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    As to going green, there's no reason the Evo can't sit next to the i-MiEV. The Aveo sits next to the Corvette, after all.

Really, Mitsu, don't drop the EVO. Confusing to Mitsubishi fans...uh, no...it won't be confusing to us at all. Keep it around and let it add to the automotive ambience.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Steve. As the host of this forum, why not mention something positive about the brand fom time to time?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    News isn't always "good" eh? Although I'm sure some people indeed like the idea of Mitsu focusing on EV vehicles.

I think someone already beat me to posting the 71% increase in February sales from a year ago. (AutoObserver)
    "MMC has kept the Lancer Evolution sedan evolving as the brand's highest performing model in the global market. However, as the market's needs and demands change, MMC is considering not advancing the Lancer Evolution concept in the same way as before, but to find a different direction for the Lancer Evolution model to evolve. The new direction, the technologies involved, and corresponding products will be disclosed in due course."

Mitsubishi Responds To Evo Death Rumors: Looking For A "Different Direction For Evolution to Evolve"

So maybe there's an EVEVO in Mitsu's future?
    I've said for years that one could make a way cool AWD vehicle by combining an ICE driving either the front or rear wheels + electric motors to drive the other two. That'd be an interesting spin. Of course that works better for regular AWD vehicles v. sports cars as AWD isn't really needed at higher speeds where the electric motors would be less effective.
    Mitsu will come up with something EVO-right. I just know it. I have been looking forward to their proposed 2013 Lancer Hybrid for a couple a years, now. I am going to be watching what they do much like Gary Payton watching Michael Jordan's every move in the '96 NBA Finals.

edited March 2011
    it was safe to test drive a new Mitsubishi comes this story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41925835/ns/us_news/?GT1=43001/?GT1=43001

The young man drove the Mitsubishi Lancer first, then the salesman told him "I'll show you how it's done."

He showed them all...all right. :sick:

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Holy crap, what a terrible story!

I would never let a salesman drive me anywhere off the lot. I prefer the dealers that let you take the car out on your own. My local Mitsu dealer is among that group.

After spending most of the 00s recovering from the 0-0-0 fiasco by stocking premium used cars, my Mitsu dealer has yet to begin to stock much in the way of new Mitsubishis. He is a performance fan, so he always has a bunch of new Evos, but looking for any of Mitsu's other new models there is almost a waste of time.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

from fushigi over in the Mitsubishi threads.

Mitsu posted this on Facebook: "Please join us in sending good thoughts to our friends in Japan. So far it sounds like everyone at MMC is okay - though many had to spend the night in the office, as they could not get home. We've linked to the Google Crisis Response page, which provides information and can help you if you are having trouble trying to contact or locate someone in Japan."

Good and heartening news!

"At Mitsubishi Motors Corp., a spokesman said the company could resume production Wednesday, but wasn’t sure its parts supply would hold out for more than a day or so. In a statement, the company cautioned that it is still assessing production plans for Thursday and later."

Quake Aftermath Severe, Deep Auto Sector Impact (AutoObserver)
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/publish/pressrelease_en/corporate/2011/news/det- ail0784.html

http://www.facebook.com/Mitsubishi/posts/202643483098107

Mitsu is donating 30MM Yen (something over $300K) plus 30 i-MiEVs and some Triton pickup trucks to the relief effort.
    http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/Mitsubishis-Sales-Surge-prnews-3938009288.html?- x=0

Highlights include:

- Sales for the first quarter (January-March) were up 48 percent. This represents Mitsubishi's largest sales growth for the first quarter in 21 years (89 percent in 1990.)
    - Outlander and Outlander Sport combined sales were up almost 90 percent for the month and are up more than 94 percent year-to-date.
    - Lancer, Lancer Evolution, and Lancer Sportback all showed sales increases for the month, and were up an aggregate of more than 4 percent from last March.
    - Galant sales were up more than 10 percent compared to March 2010, and are up more than 95 percent year-to-date.
    - Endeavor sales are up almost 10 percent year-to-date.
    - Eclipse Spyder sales are up more than 35 percent year-to-date.
    - Sales of vehicles manufactured at the Normal, Illinois, plant are up more than 62 percent year-to-date.

And in other news, the Normal plant's normal 2-week summer shutdown is not happening this year. They got an extra order for 1200 Endeavors that are destined for a rental fleet.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/business/economy/2011-04-01/no-summer-shutdown-- normal-mitsubishi-plant.html

Rental sales aren't great and are generally low-margin, but it's very good to see the plant stay open when it would otherwise be idled.
    thanks for posting the good sales news for Mitsu...they're gonna be all right.

• mitsfanmitsfan Member Posts: 16
    Shut down is misleading. Still having more inventory than needed

MMNA stoppage not related to Japan's tsunami
    StoryDiscussionMMNA stoppage not related to Japan's tsunami
    By Pantagraph staff pantagraph.com | Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 6:28 pm | 1 Comment

Font Size:Default font sizeLarger font size.NORMAL — Mitsubishi Motors North America will have non-production time this month, but it is not related to last month’s Japanese tsunami.

Spokesman Dan Irvin said employees will have an undisclosed number of days that they will not build vehicles during April. That decision is driven by market forces; the company has not had any problems with receiving parts from its parent company in Japan in recent weeks.

“We communicate to our employees a month at a time; it’s just our production schedule,” he said Monday. “That’s been happening every month for the past year.”

Last week, the company said it would be able to avoid its traditional summer shutdown — usually one or two weeks — because of an order of 1,200 Endeavors needed this summer by a fleet company.
    edited April 2011
    world order EVO XI, brothers in Mitsubishi, it will be one with so many cool new features those of us currently with Mitsubishi Lancer's and EVO's will not be able to resist purchasing a new one. This is very good news and settles down any urges I have felt to defect to Kia or Hyundai or Ford for their new Fiesta or Focus. Super AWD and a 2.0 MiVEC that will activate to drive the rear wheels after the front have already started running on electric power. Check out the Motor Trend article to get the write-up. Most electrifying news...actually most of us Mitsubishi hardcores have known about the 2013 project for quite some time. I just brought up an old article as a reminder to torch the excitement button 'cause we're startin' ta head in further into 2011 and the time is getting closer to be seeing one of these beauties. Well...sort of. Give it another year or so and we'll see one on the net. Here ya go, check out this article.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2010/112_1001_mitsubishi_lancer_evo- - - - - - - - - lution_xi_hybrid/index.html

Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in Rally Red...humm...looks kinda familiar

But here's the twist: the Evo's main power source will not be the gas engine, but an electric motor that will drive the front wheels. The 2.0 litre engine, when needed, will drive the rear wheels.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2010/112_1001_mitsubishi_lancer_evo- - - - lution_xi_hybrid/index.html#ixzz1JV6UhMqA

PX MiEV

This is another new rig Mitsubishi is working on that will be produced-a hybrid also. The new EVO XI will be based on this same platform.

The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is the most attractive car I have ever seen, bar none. And I own one. I am personally challenging Mitsubishi to make the 2013 EVO XI Hybrid and Lancer GTS Hybrid better looking than the 2008 models.

Do it my Asian carmaking friends!

Here's the press release with pricing: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/channels/2011-New-York/releases/6aeb3fdf-559e-c1- 92-ab8a-650b4dad9c43. Starts under $21K after tax credit.

Doesn't mention availability, though.
    What is it with parking garage crashes today? The older woman in LA wasn't so lucky. I can't tell what kind of SUV it was. (LA Times)

In Mitsubishi news Mitsubishi Stopping Production of Eclipse, Endeavor. (Straightline)

"Perhaps the biggest news here is that the Mitsubishi Eclipse and Endeavor are still in production, though, not for long.

The automaker announced that Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder and Endeavor production would cease at the company's Normal, Ill plant. Gallant production, however, will continue at the facility and Outlander production is scheduled to ramp up in Ill."
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Looks like a Tiguan
    edited April 2011
    strong sales worldwide for my favorite carmaker. Yippin' yojezza-meee's!

http://paxtech.blogspot.com/2011/04/translate-ger-to-eng-mitsubishi-motors.html

BTW-the idea of my wife and I getting a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS Hybrid or a 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport has only sparked my enthusiasm more for those ideas. Know why?

It's 'cause we live in a small northern Idaho panhandle town that is snowy and icy for about 6 months out of any given year. The Outlander Sport with S-AWC would be a great pick, perhaps making more sense than getting a '13 Lancer GTS Hybrid with S-AWC. S-AWC is a great response to slipping and sliding away here in the wet and dank inland Pacific Northwest.

With wonderful Mitsubishi, picking one of their vehicles or another of their vehicles is a good kind of problem ta have, huh? :D

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport in red

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    "...Looks like an 07-09 model..."

LOL. From that picture I couldn't tell if it was even a Mitsu.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Well it definitely doesn't have the current Outlander's nose and the body style is not the original that Mitsu used through '06. While what's left could be any one of a number of CUVs the wheel covers, door handles, and outside mirror let me place it as an Outlander.
    May '11 sales of 7568 were up 59.8% over May '10 (4737). Sorry, I don't have a breakdown by model.
    YTD sales are up 60.7%.

Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru all saw sales drop (May '11 v. May '10). Hyundai, Kia, VW, and Chrysler all saw gains.
    If your Mitsubishi has the hard drive based system, a free update for the internal Gracenote database may be available for your car. Go to http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/owners-site/technology-features.do and select the "Learn more" link under Gracenote. The directions show how to check to see if your car's database is current and if the update is needed, how to download it & install.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Glad to see the upward trend in sales. Guy down the road just bought an Outlander Sport, pretty sharp car, especially from the front and 3/4 view. Still not sure if I like the chopped rear, but I need the trunk space anyway, so I'll keep my '07. Taking two trips in June, will probably put over 4000 miles on it.

Now Mitsu needs a competitive mid-size Galant replacement to keep those sales numbers rising.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    toomanyfumes. I have wondered about the Mitsubishi midsize deal for a while now, gonna be fun ta see what Mitsubishi produces in that category for our consumption.

Yeah, the midsize sedan market is not one they can stay out of for long. Too many bread-and-butter sales there and, like or not, it's probably key to staying in the game as a supplier for rental companies.

I don't think they can make do with a stretched Lancer platform as a base. Maybe they can license a platform from Chrysler and do everything - powertrain, skin, interior - up from there themselves. I would much rather they did that then do a simple badge engineering job like they did with the Dodge pickup.
    So I just called Max Madsen Mitsubishi to make an appointment for my 18 month oil change. I'm doing them on the time schedule to maintain warranty as I drive somewhat fewer miles than average. I tell them I want an oil change & tire rotation and then say that according to the schedule the cabin air filter should also be changed. It's in the books for a 15K mile replacement and I've got 16K and change on the odo.

The service adviser said that they can take a look but assured me it won't need replacing yet. The ones they take out this early are always still clean so he recommends doing it at 30K instead. Of course he noted it would be different if we were in an area with lots of gravel roads or other dusty conditions.

I thought I'd point out their honesty and consideration of the customer's wallet. IMO it works well for them as it means I'll be more likely to take my car to them in the future.

Of course the email coupons don't hurt the cause either. :blush:
    I changed my cabin filter at 34K and it looked dirty by then, not too bad. That is cool that they're not doing work they don't have to.
    "...Now Mitsu needs a competitive mid size Galant replacement..."

Don't forget a replacement for the Eclipse as well. They could base it off the Lancer Raliart and maybe offer AWD like the Gen 2. Throw in a low boost turbo and some EVO handling tweaks. Add some sexy styling and it could be a winner.

I know I'd be a buyer if it weighed in at 3000lbs. or less, had at least 275hp, a .90 or better g and looked as good as the current model.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I think a 2-door sports coupe is a "nice to have" but not a need.

Still, the Lancer platform does appear to be flexible. I've said before that rather than kill the Eclipse name Mitsu should turn out a 2-door Evo & call it the new Eclipse. De-tune it some to get the cost down.

When I was at the dealer the other day getting an oil change in my Outlander, I noticed a loaded Outlander sport @ $28K .. and a not-loaded Eclipse Spyder 2.4 also @ $28K. I thought it amusing that you could get a convertible & a sub-compact CUV for the same coin.
    Still losing money here though.

"The automaker said North America’s loss will widen to 33 billion yen ($411 million) from 28 billion yen ($348 million) last year. Mitsubishi’s underutilized plant in Normal, Ill., is being retooled to build the Outlander Sport and other vehicles for local consumption and export."

Mitsubishi Expects Higher Production, Profits (AutoObserver)
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    The larger U.S. loss is likely driven by the cost of retooling the Normal plant. Also, Mitsubishi has spent quite a bit more on advertising, which I assume also contributes to the loss.
    However, Mitsubishi MUST spend more money on advertising/marketing/PR to prop up their image. This investment into improving U.S. consumer perception of the brand is the only way Mitsubishi will ever be able to become viable here. Given how far they have slid, it's going to take quite a bit of $$$.
    I've read here that the Project America platform (Eclipse, Galant, Endevor) is done here in the US and that the Normal plant is being retooled to produce other cars. As I understand it, the 2011 models would be the last.

So now I'm confused, I see here on Edmunds pricing and spec data on the 2012 Eclipse.

I didn't think there would be a 2012 Eclipse as Mitsu has a 6 year cycle for it's cars. 2011 would be year 6 for the current model so that would make the 2012 the first year of a new design. But I've read that Mitsu is doing away with the Eclipse.

So why is there a 2012 model?

If they are just pushing the current design out one more year will there also be a 2012 Galant and Endevor?

Production is ending in August, though http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110425/CARNEWS/110429917 says Galant production will continue after that. Probably because Galant's are easier to sell & export and it keeps the plant from going totally idle which could have issues with their UAW contract.

Given the cancelled models are slow sellers, doing some inventory buildup through August & selling those units as 2012s makes sense. Even if the car doesn't change, consumers aren't going to want last year's model when every competitor has the current year in their lineup. Just don't expect any upgrades, or at least any that require much R&D.

If Normal will get the OSport in 2012 that would imply it'll be the 2013 MY.

(And FWIW I wish the auto industry would get back to MY = calendar year. It's getting silly with 2011 MY cars coming out in Feb 2010.)
    edited June 2011
    in a few years. So we can throw our kayak on the roof and strap it on for safety. Parking sensors are going to be built in as well.

Mitsubishi Outlander ACTiV

On the exterior, the feature consists of 18 inch alloy rims, aluminum grille, roof rails, crossbar, and chrome plated exhaust. While in the interior, the package is consists of chrome plated door handles, BlueTooth with microphone and hands free.

http://www.ninjamedia.co.cc/2011/06/mitsubishi-outlander-activ.html

In essence it's an Outlander LS with an aluminum trim kit. Probably the SE in US trim since we don't currently have an LS and they're saying it comes with the 4 cyl. Nice.

iluv, I'd suggest the backup camera over parking sensors. It's so nice to actually see what's behind you. Of course you need the navi to get the backup, so it does become a somewhat expensive option.
    edited June 2011
    iluv, I'd suggest the backup camera over parking sensors. It's so nice to actually see what's behind you. Of course you need the navi to get the backup, so it does become a somewhat expensive option.

Good point. I'd rather have the backup camera than sensors, and I am thinking that I won't spare the expense and just pay for it, I'm even warming to the idea of getting NAV in either the Outlander Sport or Outlander ACTiV, too, so the two in the obligatory package might be just our ticket to maximum enjoyment. I'm looking to root in here in the northern Idaho panhandle, quite possibly a remote, wild and woolier part of the panhandle, where once winter hits you're sharing the little frozen 2-lane highways with moose and deer and elk and bear and cougar, and going to Coeur d'Alene even is going to be tough, unless of course we trade in the Lancer GTS for an Outlander variant. I'm looking in to two different jobs here in Idaho and should know next week which one I'll get. So then we'll just keep the Lancer for now but consider a trade-in later on.

But in the interview boss says don't even think much about commuting from Kellogg to the town this job is located in because of the cold and icy inland northern Idaho winters we have. They reach about 6 months long, the winters. And you basically will struggle to stay on the road. Sounds a lot like Mitsubishi Outlander territory, don't it? :P

I'm currently on vacation in Colorado in the Rocky Mountains. Our rented cabin is in a very rural area at the end of a gravel trail. Our AWD Outlander has done great on the dirt and gravel roads around here. Over 1600 miles traveled in a week and by the time I get back to Wisconsin it will be over 3000 miles. Then a week later I go to Minnesota for another 1000 miles. Once again the Mitsu's been a great vehicle to travel in. Plenty of power with the V6 to go up Pike's Peak also.

Only issue is I just had new brakes and the rotors turned and all the dust from the roads have got them sounding bad already. I'm gonna get it washed when I hit pavement and by the time I get home I'm hoping they're back to normal.
    edited June 2011
    Oh come on. That's the Banana Belt up there. Some Nokians and you could do just fine in a Miata. :P

Speaking of your past jobs:

Mitsubishi Regional Jet, Boeing to Ally (Bloomberg)
    With the navi you wind up with interesting data at your fingertips. There's an altimeter and IIRC barometer in addition to the temp (3 hour history graph on each). You also get your longitude/latitude. There's even a graphic of the satellites it sees (useless but neat).

If you got stranded having your exact coordinates is good info to pass along to emergency services via cell.

My only disappointment is that the navi's address book and calendar don't merge with what it downloads from a BlueTooth-paired phone.

Next time you're at a dealer sit in one and play for a few minutes. Look at the Info screens. There's other useful stuff like putting in your maintenance schedule for things other than oil changes.

That reminds me: while I loaded the Gracenotes update recently I haven't heard yet on the 2011 map update. Gotta check on it sometime.
    edited June 2011
    oh, that is very cool information. I'll stop in at the Spokane Mitsu dealer and play around with NAV in an Outlander.

steve, humm, interesting article on Boeing and Mitsubishi and technical manuals. That's right up my alley in my past life with Boeing, they might need Technical Illustration help to help them produce those training manuals. Let's see, might have to move to Tokyo for that! ;)

And go to work for Mitsubishi.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/index.php?s=16874&item=44235

Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today reported June 2011 sales of 8,299 units, nearly doubling June 2010 sales with an increase of 97.7 percent.

The increase continues a sales surge that, for the first six months of 2011, makes Mitsubishi the fastest growing automaker in the United States.

This marks the first month of more than 8,000 Mitsubishi sales in nearly three years (since August 2008). It was the highest June sales total since 2007 and the tenth consecutive month that the company has achieved a year-over-year sales increase. Year-to date sales are up 66.5 percent.

Other sales highlights include:

Sales of Mitsubishi cars were up 41 percent in June and are up 43 percent year-to-date.
    Sales of Mitsubishi SUVs and CUVs were up 260 percent in June and are up 119 percent year-to-date.
    Sales of products assembled at MMNA's U.S. facility in Normal, Illinois, were up 243 percent in June and are up 116 percent year to date.
    edited July 2011
    "The Outlander and Outlander Sport led the charge."

"We are pleased that Mitsubishi's message of styling, fuel efficiency and value are resonating with customers," said MMNA President & CEO Yoichi Yokozawa. "We feel that we are just at the beginning of an extended period of growth in the U.S. market."

AutoObserver
    I don't really expect Mitsu to become a Top 10 brand, at least not for a couple of decades. But it does seem like their current strategy is paying off. I'm seeing Outlander Sports fairly often nowadays.

It seems Mitsu wasn't ravaged by the tsunami fallout so they have that going for them. They're still losing money on US operations, though, and that will likely continue until they can make the Normal plant profitable.

My concerns:
    1. How many more years does the Lancer platform have left in it?
    2. When Galant sales end, Mitsu won't have a player in one of, if not the, biggest marketplaces - the midsize sedan. IMO they need a replacement.
    3. No hybrids. Granted, the i is coming but EVs will remain niche for years to come.
    4. Fuel economy outside the Outlander Sport is just average. They need Direct Injection or other tech to boost economy without sacrificing power.

If they can go from their current approximate 0.5% market share to 1-2% and/or get annual sales over 150K units that would do wonders for their bottom line.
    http://media.mitsubishicars.com/index.php?s=16874&item=44390

No, you can't buy it yet (though you can pre-order), but it is coming this fall.

And today Mitsubishi is also announcing a solar charging station for the i (presumably other EVs as well).

Personally, the range limitations of the i & Leaf preclude me from buying. Still, I hold out hope that as early adopters buy these first mass-market units the EV segment will see generational improvements in efficiency, range, and/or charge time.
    edited July 2011
    you're spot on with your Mitsu-observations. The Galant size needs re-doing and soon. The i is fine, but they need some hybrids. They're working on them, they basically promised a Lancer GTS Hybrid in 2013. I will seriously consider trading our '08 Lancer GTS for a '13 Lancer GTS Hybrid or '13 Outlander Sport or '13 Outlander ACTiV. I may need the roofrack for our future kayak purchase. If we move to another Idaho panhandle area that is landlocked in winter (hence the Outlander's AWD option being a boon to us) and the area having so many waterways for summer splashing and kayaking-indeed then, the Lancer GTS will have been outgrown.

However, if the other two jobs I'm applying for call, it will be more like back to the 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS Hybrid, with the 2nd place finisher being the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport or the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander ACTiV. As a car nut I am always considering other makes, like the Kia Rio HB, the Ford Focus HB, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the new Dodge Caliber replacement based on the Alfa Romeo chassis, the 2014 VW Bulli (Microbus), 2013 VW Jetta and so on and so forth. Oh, if Scion should make the new FT-86 in 4-dr. form I'm with them like a Foghat concert (even in the band's current form). That new Scion FR-S (or Toyota FT-86) is one gorgeous new Coupe design, folks, check it out, Google Scion FR-S or Toyota FT-86 and see what I mean. Truly a beautiful new car design that is supposed to clock in at around $25,000. Which is in our pricing department for sure, for sure. Rock on, Mitsubishi fans! :shades:

It is truly a great time to be an automotive nut! In all reality I don't see us leaving the Mitsubishi fold at all. They are just too cool and they are just built too well to stray to another car brand, folks.

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    "Report: Mitsubishi Outlander Sport plug-in hybrid coming to U.S. in 2013"

Beyond those two models, Mitsubishi says that six additional electrified vehicles will launch globally before the end of 2015
    Cool. Would love some specs on that model.