Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• is an SUV worth Jones-sing over. Really. I want one. In Red. Like Sammy Hagar Red.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,423
    "...Desired production is 50,000 units per year..."

I read that the Normal plant has a capacity of about 250,000 units. It would be nice if they produced more that one model there.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,235
    In my mind I'm OK with bringing the O Sport to Normal. It runs on the Lancer platform so as long as that platform is being made there it would be very easy to also make Lancers and Outlanders should the need for them outstrip the Japan plant.

50K units a year is still just a single shift for Normal so they'll have plenty of potential to grow should the market reward them with the sales.
    http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/worldrecords/index.do

"ONE DAY. TWO CUVS. FIVE GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS.

To demonstrate Mitsubishi's All-Wheel Control technology we set out for some unforgiving terrain in Alberta, Canada, with our Outlander crossover family. We came home with a handful of official Guinness World Records.
    "

300 m - The greatest distance by a vehicle in reverse on snow in 30 seconds - Outlander Sport
    56.2 m - The shortest braking distance by a vehicle on ice (30 mph to 0 mph) - Outlander Sport
    3 laps - The most vehicle figure-of-eights on ice in two minutes - Outlander
    1:11 min - The fastest vehicle slalom relay on ice (1/4 mile) - Outlander & Outlander Sport
    19:31 sec - The fastest driven square lap in a vehicle (gravel, 100 ft. x 100 ft.) - Outlander

To me the most impressive are the figure 8, slalom, and the ice braking. The ice braking looks especially boring, :) , which is exactly how you'd want it to be. And the figure 8 & slalom show how the AWC system can benefit in everyday winter condition driving.
  • Hey fushigi. Good post. Quite entertaining. Let's see if Mitsu uses any of this info on their website. For all of the negative reviews published, there are good ones too. But Mitsu doesn't take the time to use any of the good reviews on their website. And comercials - ha! I barely ever see one.
    I'm getting the opinion that Mitsu does more with regional advertising than national. Here in the Chicagoland area they seem to have a commercial running relatively often. The commercials are rarely for Mitsu as a whole and instead feature a specific vehicle. Usually the most recently upgraded/introduced.

The dealer I bought from also does a fair bit of radio advertising.

Next week I'll give my Chicago Auto Show report on them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWWk0Out3bM

Interesting. They talk about extra precautions they're taking when crash-testing EVs.
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Posts: 272
    Outlander Sport Model Continues to Fuel Mitsubishi February 2011 Sales

CYPRESS, CA - March 1, 2011: Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today reported February 2011 sales of 6,893 vehicles, which represents a marked sales expansion of more than 72% in comparison to the 4,019 total vehicle sales reported from the same month in 2010.

“With Outlander Sport sales increasing each month since it was launched last October, this demonstrates that our American customers appreciate a value-priced/well-equipped vehicle that is stylish, versatile while also delivering impressive fuel economy and electronic All-Wheel-Control,” said MMNA President & CEO Shin Kurihara. “Thus far, the Outlander Sport sales mix has been over 50% well-equipped All-Wheel-Control models which exceeds our expectations for this equipment level. With the addition of increased sales from other models in our lineup, the February sales are an indication of the excellent work performed by all of our employees and our dealer partners.”

The new 5-passenger Outlander Sport was named “Best Compact Crossover for the Money” for 2011 by the prestigious U.S. News & World Report based on such important criteria as overall value, appeal within its vehicle class and five-year total cost of ownership data.

Mitsubishi also announced that the popular Outlander Sport CUV will begin production at the company’s world-class manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois by the middle of 2012.

Other February sales highlights include:

Highest monthly sales since October of 2008
    Outlander Sport sales of 1,290 units
    Lancer Evolution sales up 17.9% from February 2010
    Good numbers for Mitsu and I'm glad to see the more expensive (and probably more profitable) AWD version of the OSport is selling beyond expectations.

What I'm liking is that the Sport's numbers appear to be new customer draws. By that I mean overall sales volume is up significantly and OSport sales don't appear to be stealing sales from the regular Outlander or any other Mitsu model. Put another way, year-on-year sales would have been up even without the addition of the Outlander Sport to the lineup.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,451
    "AutoCar UK is reporting today that Mitsubishi is killing the Lancer Evolution -- a blow to its image which will be hard to overcome. Although the rumor remains unconfirmed by the company's U.S. PR team, there's little financial reason to keep it around.

According to the AutoCar report, the decision is part of a brand makeover destined to turn the company boring green by focusing on EV technology."

Mitsubishi EVO X Rumored Dead (Straightline)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Evo sales are up 18% year-to-date v. 2010 YTD. It'd be odd to drop a product that people are buying in increasing numbers even if it does represent a small percent of overall sales.

As to going green, there's no reason the Evo can't sit next to the i-MiEV. The Aveo sits next to the Corvette, after all.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,695
    As to going green, there's no reason the Evo can't sit next to the i-MiEV. The Aveo sits next to the Corvette, after all.

Really, Mitsu, don't drop the EVO. Confusing to Mitsubishi fans...uh, no...it won't be confusing to us at all. Keep it around and let it add to the automotive ambience.

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Posts: 272
    Steve. As the host of this forum, why not mention something positive about the brand fom time to time?
    News isn't always "good" eh? Although I'm sure some people indeed like the idea of Mitsu focusing on EV vehicles.

I think someone already beat me to posting the 71% increase in February sales from a year ago. (AutoObserver)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"MMC has kept the Lancer Evolution sedan evolving as the brand's highest performing model in the global market. However, as the market's needs and demands change, MMC is considering not advancing the Lancer Evolution concept in the same way as before, but to find a different direction for the Lancer Evolution model to evolve. The new direction, the technologies involved, and corresponding products will be disclosed in due course."

Mitsubishi Responds To Evo Death Rumors: Looking For A "Different Direction For Evolution to Evolve"

So maybe there's an EVEVO in Mitsu's future?

I've said for years that one could make a way cool AWD vehicle by combining an ICE driving either the front or rear wheels + electric motors to drive the other two. That'd be an interesting spin. Of course that works better for regular AWD vehicles v. sports cars as AWD isn't really needed at higher speeds where the electric motors would be less effective.
    Mitsu will come up with something EVO-right. I just know it. I have been looking forward to their proposed 2013 Lancer Hybrid for a couple a years, now. I am going to be watching what they do much like Gary Payton watching Michael Jordan's every move in the '96 NBA Finals.

edited March 2011
    it was safe to test drive a new Mitsubishi comes this story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41925835/ns/us_news/?GT1=43001/?GT1=43001

The young man drove the Mitsubishi Lancer first, then the salesman told him "I'll show you how it's done."

He showed them all...all right. :sick:

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Holy crap, what a terrible story!

I would never let a salesman drive me anywhere off the lot. I prefer the dealers that let you take the car out on your own. My local Mitsu dealer is among that group.

After spending most of the 00s recovering from the 0-0-0 fiasco by stocking premium used cars, my Mitsu dealer has yet to begin to stock much in the way of new Mitsubishis. He is a performance fan, so he always has a bunch of new Evos, but looking for any of Mitsu's other new models there is almost a waste of time.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

from fushigi over in the Mitsubishi threads.

Mitsu posted this on Facebook: "Please join us in sending good thoughts to our friends in Japan. So far it sounds like everyone at MMC is okay - though many had to spend the night in the office, as they could not get home. We've linked to the Google Crisis Response page, which provides information and can help you if you are having trouble trying to contact or locate someone in Japan."

Good and heartening news!

"At Mitsubishi Motors Corp., a spokesman said the company could resume production Wednesday, but wasn’t sure its parts supply would hold out for more than a day or so. In a statement, the company cautioned that it is still assessing production plans for Thursday and later."

Quake Aftermath Severe, Deep Auto Sector Impact (AutoObserver)

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/publish/pressrelease_en/corporate/2011/news/det- ail0784.html

http://www.facebook.com/Mitsubishi/posts/202643483098107

Mitsu is donating 30MM Yen (something over $300K) plus 30 i-MiEVs and some Triton pickup trucks to the relief effort.
    http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/Mitsubishis-Sales-Surge-prnews-3938009288.html?- x=0

Highlights include:

- Sales for the first quarter (January-March) were up 48 percent. This represents Mitsubishi's largest sales growth for the first quarter in 21 years (89 percent in 1990.)
    - Outlander and Outlander Sport combined sales were up almost 90 percent for the month and are up more than 94 percent year-to-date.
    - Lancer, Lancer Evolution, and Lancer Sportback all showed sales increases for the month, and were up an aggregate of more than 4 percent from last March.
    - Galant sales were up more than 10 percent compared to March 2010, and are up more than 95 percent year-to-date.
    - Endeavor sales are up almost 10 percent year-to-date.
    - Eclipse Spyder sales are up more than 35 percent year-to-date.
    - Sales of vehicles manufactured at the Normal, Illinois, plant are up more than 62 percent year-to-date.

And in other news, the Normal plant's normal 2-week summer shutdown is not happening this year. They got an extra order for 1200 Endeavors that are destined for a rental fleet.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/business/economy/2011-04-01/no-summer-shutdown-- normal-mitsubishi-plant.html

Rental sales aren't great and are generally low-margin, but it's very good to see the plant stay open when it would otherwise be idled.
    thanks for posting the good sales news for Mitsu...they're gonna be all right.

• mitsfanmitsfan Posts: 16
    Shut down is misleading. Still having more inventory than needed

MMNA stoppage not related to Japan's tsunami
    StoryDiscussionMMNA stoppage not related to Japan's tsunami
    By Pantagraph staff pantagraph.com | Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 6:28 pm | 1 Comment

Font Size:Default font sizeLarger font size.NORMAL — Mitsubishi Motors North America will have non-production time this month, but it is not related to last month’s Japanese tsunami.

Spokesman Dan Irvin said employees will have an undisclosed number of days that they will not build vehicles during April. That decision is driven by market forces; the company has not had any problems with receiving parts from its parent company in Japan in recent weeks.

“We communicate to our employees a month at a time; it’s just our production schedule,” he said Monday. “That’s been happening every month for the past year.”

Last week, the company said it would be able to avoid its traditional summer shutdown — usually one or two weeks — because of an order of 1,200 Endeavors needed this summer by a fleet company.
    edited April 2011
    world order EVO XI, brothers in Mitsubishi, it will be one with so many cool new features those of us currently with Mitsubishi Lancer's and EVO's will not be able to resist purchasing a new one. This is very good news and settles down any urges I have felt to defect to Kia or Hyundai or Ford for their new Fiesta or Focus. Super AWD and a 2.0 MiVEC that will activate to drive the rear wheels after the front have already started running on electric power. Check out the Motor Trend article to get the write-up. Most electrifying news...actually most of us Mitsubishi hardcores have known about the 2013 project for quite some time. I just brought up an old article as a reminder to torch the excitement button 'cause we're startin' ta head in further into 2011 and the time is getting closer to be seeing one of these beauties. Well...sort of. Give it another year or so and we'll see one on the net. Here ya go, check out this article.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2010/112_1001_mitsubishi_lancer_evo- - - - - - - - - lution_xi_hybrid/index.html

Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in Rally Red...humm...looks kinda familiar

But here's the twist: the Evo's main power source will not be the gas engine, but an electric motor that will drive the front wheels. The 2.0 litre engine, when needed, will drive the rear wheels.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2010/112_1001_mitsubishi_lancer_evo- - - - lution_xi_hybrid/index.html#ixzz1JV6UhMqA

PX MiEV

This is another new rig Mitsubishi is working on that will be produced-a hybrid also. The new EVO XI will be based on this same platform.

The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is the most attractive car I have ever seen, bar none. And I own one. I am personally challenging Mitsubishi to make the 2013 EVO XI Hybrid and Lancer GTS Hybrid better looking than the 2008 models.

Do it my Asian carmaking friends!

Here's the press release with pricing: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/channels/2011-New-York/releases/6aeb3fdf-559e-c1- 92-ab8a-650b4dad9c43. Starts under $21K after tax credit.

Doesn't mention availability, though.
    What is it with parking garage crashes today? The older woman in LA wasn't so lucky. I can't tell what kind of SUV it was. (LA Times)

In Mitsubishi news Mitsubishi Stopping Production of Eclipse, Endeavor. (Straightline)

"Perhaps the biggest news here is that the Mitsubishi Eclipse and Endeavor are still in production, though, not for long.

The automaker announced that Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder and Endeavor production would cease at the company's Normal, Ill plant. Gallant production, however, will continue at the facility and Outlander production is scheduled to ramp up in Ill."

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,687
    Looks like a Tiguan