Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• Options
    jflorjflor Member Posts: 20
    This article says that the plug-in hybrid will be based on the next generation Outlander and not the Outlander Sport/ASX/RVR:

http://wot.motortrend.com/next-gen-mitsubishi-outlander-to-be-brands-first-plug-- in-hybrid-95745.html
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    2 x 148 lb-ft electric + up to 92 from the 1.6 is potentially a lot of available torque. Performance should be decent, i.e. not like a Prius ;)

I'm liking the info & hope Mitsu brings one to the Chicago Auto Show next spring.

BTW, this is somewhat how I've been saying for years that hybrids should be done: Electric RWD + ICE FWD. Having the two systems drive separate wheels should very much simplify the hardware. No oddball "hybrid synergy drive" mechanicals are needed; just a normal FWD system for the ICE and electric motors at the rear. And software to match them up.

You get the RWD advantages when taking off normally & AWD advantages when maneuvering and during spirited driving. Put the batteries in the rear & you have weight over the rear wheels so the old winter disadvantage of RWD doesn't apply. You also get closer to a 50:50 weight distribution.

Sounds like Mitsu is doing their own spin on my idea. Electric-only RWD + hybrid FWD. I like.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    "...fastest growing automaker in the US..."

LOL. That's one PR firm that's earning it's money.

When i bought my Mitsu in 2008, they were selling about 12,000 a month.

8,300 units being double last year's sales just shows how bad it was in 2010.

But we'll take any good news. :)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    "...this is somewhat how I've been saying for years that hybrids should be done: Electric RWD + ICE FWD..."

Mitsu had that idea back in 2004, I think. THIS is what the Eclipse was supose to be:

http://www.greencar.com/articles/mitsubishi-eclipse-concept-e-hybrid-electric-po- wertrain.php

That would have been an interesting car had they built it. But I bet costs Killed it. I read somewhere that the new Mitsu electric car coming out next year costs $32,000 but is the size of a Fiat 500. That, and the additional weight still makes me reluctant to consider one.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    After the $7500 tax credit the i electric car starts at $20,490: http://i.mitsubishicars.com/ I sat in one at Factory MOD 2010 but haven't ridden or driven one yet. Doesn't really fit my needs (though it could for my wife).

I think it'll be a long time before pure EVs rise beyond niche status. Limited range & long recharge times will see to that even if range anxiety is put to rest. But hybrids and EREVs like the Volt show a lot of promise for the next few decades.

That Eclipse powertrain is probably an early sign of what the next gen Evo will do: ICE/hybrid FWD + EV RWD. Of course, replace the 3.8 V6 with a turboed 4 banger.
  • Options
    This past weekend when I got in my '10 Outlander GT the DIC said the key fob battery was low. Heck, I didn't know it even had a message for that.

I hate putting some things off so today I called my dealer who referred me to the parts department. They had the batteries in stock so I took my main fob and the spare figuring I'd just get them both replaced.

Batteries were $5.98 each. One per fob. They're CR2032 batteries so you can get them at any retail location for less $ if you're price sensitive. I'm not, so I got them. The parts guy went ahead & replaced the batteries for me, which was a nice touch and made the extra couple of bucks worth spending.

Thankfully, the fob does not have to be reprogrammed when the battery is replaced.

(In separate news I'm up to about $80 in free gas from the CVS summer gas promotion.)
  • Options
    http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/08/july-sales-up-but-inventory-hinders-recovery- .html

Scroll down a ways to see Mitsu's July '11 sales were up 41% v. July 2010.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited August 2011
    with sales up 41% through the first 7 months of 2011 Mitsubishi is now touted to be the fastest growing car company in America. How's those bananas?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Volume wise Hyundai/Kia's probably fastest growing. I thought Volvo sold more cars than that, below Mitsubishi. Looks like Saab's about done.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    Sales growth is almost always expressed as percent growth. And while it is a bit disingenuous to tout themselves as the fastest growing, % growth is a good way to measure relative interest in a brand.

But yeah, HyunKia seems to be stealing HonYota's thunder in many regards. The reasons for which are many, including much better products on their part and large automaker floundering on Toyota & Honda's part. Toyota seems to be mostly resting on their laurels while Honda has apparently turned off the innovation spigot. Witness the new Civic, which the casual observer won't be able to tell from the old Civic.

Back to Mitsubishi.

I obviously want them to succeed. I am concerned that they don't seem to be doing much on the innovation front other than the i EV. I don't see small turbo 4s in anything other than a couple of Lancers and the Evo. No GDI. Powerplants in general (not the Evo) are a little smaller and less powerful than the competition and while you'd think the smaller engines would return better fuel economy that's not really happening.

Lancer tops out @ 33MPG while the competition is routinely hitting 40. People looking for "fun to drive" will still check it out but most folks are looking at "cheap to drive" instead.

The Outlander & Outlander Sport duo seem to be their most competitive offerings but while the Sport is selling well it is critically panned for a lack of power.

I'd really love to see something about upcoming powerplants and how they plan to achieve the upcoming bumps in CAFE standards. The i - and this is true of any EV - will remain niche at best as long as the charging infrastructure isn't pervasive, charge times are long, and range is limited.

Unlike most critics I don't think the interiors are bad at all. They could use a few more soft-touch surfaces (and not soft in that it's really firm foam) where it counts but general ergonomics are fine. And I strongly prefer Mitsu's clean dash look over, say, the button nightmare that Honda is pushing.

BTW .. For midwesterners, Factory MOD (Mitu Owners Day) has been scheduled for September 24 @ the Bloomington-Normal factory. I'll be there.
  • Options
    psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    Another good sales month. Hopefully Mitsubishi can maintain the sales momentum. I think the true litmus test for Mitsubishi will come with November/December when the Outlander Sport will have been on sale for a full year.

"The Associated Press
    Published: Thursday, Sep. 1, 2011 - 1:51 pm
    CYPRESS, Calif. -- Mitsubishi Motors North America said Thursday that its August U.S. sales jumped 86 percent on higher demand for all of its models.

BY THE NUMBERS: Mitsubishi sold 7,985 vehicles in August, up from 4,293 in the same month last year.

TOP SELLER: Sales of the automaker's Endeavor crossover surged to 1,799 from 206 in August 2010.

HOT MODELS: Sales of the automaker's Lancer small car rose 4 percent to 1,764, while demand for the Galant sedan increased 42.4 percent to 1,078. The automaker sold 1,564 of its new Outlander Sport crossover."
  • Options
    Car Sensor Lab has some renderings and approximate release schedule for the 5 EV/PHEV models Mitsubishi is planning to launch between now and the end of fiscal 2013 (March 2014).

http://www.carsensorlab.net/carnews/14_16037/

The three models pictured are (with release dates in parentheses):

Outlander Sport PHEV (Summer 2012)
    Outlander PHEV (Spring 2013)
    eK Wagon EV (before end of fiscal 2013)

The other two models are the MiEV Minicab (Fall 2011) and the EV version of the new "Global Small" Colt successor (sometime in fiscal 2013).

In addition to the above Mitsubishi will release conventional ICE version of the "Global Small" Colt successor (spring 2012) and the next Generation Outlander (sometime during fiscal 2012)

Now if Mitsubishi could just get back in the game with direct injection gas engines. I mean, they still own the GDI trademark for Pete's sake.
  • Options
    I'm digging the green one; I assume it's the Outlander Sport. Looks lower & sportier. The red, which looks to be the Outlander, still has the old pre-2010 nose for some reason. I don't see Mitsu regressing on that styling cue.

I would assume that if the new Outlander is to come in 2012 that the PHEV drivetrain would be part of that. It wouldn't make any sense to roll out a PHEV on the existing frame then redo it a year later. If the specs look good enough I might be tempted to trade in my Outlander GT faster than normal.

A Colt replacement would do battle with Fit & Yaris. I don't see many Yarii on the road but Fits are everywhere.

Funny how Galant & Endeavor sales are up. Is Mitsu doing some last-minute dumping to rental fleets as they wind down production? I love Mitsu but those models aren't really competitive.
  • Options
    http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/owners-site/owners-day.do

Anyone planning to attend Factory MOD on September 24 at the Bloomington-Normal plant? I'll be there.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm a bit surprised that US sales almost doubled. Think Mitsu can maintain the momentum?
  • Options
    That's a really tough question. A number of the sales gains the past couple of months have been with Galants & Endeavors but they're supposed to be discontinued so the Normal plant can retool for Outlander Sports.

My hope would be that sales don't regress; i.e. they can stay at 7500+ units/month for a while. It's still not tremendous volume by any stretch but should be enough for them to hang in the game until they can get the i and their hybrids to market. They also need to roll out GDI so they can get the Lancer to 38-40 MPG. A few more HP in the Outlander Sport wouldn't hurt either.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Mitsu's problem is image. They are a lot better a car than the general public is aware of.
  • Options
    Amen to that.
    Granted, the interiors of the Lancer and Outlander (except the GT) really need improved materials (i.e. like padding) and the HVAC controls need an upgrade too.
    Thankfully Mitsubishi is spending more on marketing and that is driving more traffic to dealers. Plus, it looks like Mitsubishi is upgrading the interiors of both the Lancer and the lower trim Outlander for the 2012 model year. This can only help.
    Finally, as I posted earlier, Mitsubishi was the mass-produced GDI pioneer some 15 years ago. They really need to get back in the game so they can improve the fuel economy while maintaining the power output and fun-to-drive spirit I've always appreciated the brand for.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    "Japanese automaker Mitsubishi has improved the MIVEC valve timing system in its latest four-cylinder gasoline engine, resulting in a 12-percent improvement in fuel economy with no loss of performance."

Mitsubishi Shows New MIVEC Gasoline Engine (Inside Line)

And it looks like a hybrid is coming, but no details on if it will be a diesel hybrid.

Mitsubishi Confirms Hybrid 2014 Evo XI, Diesel Still On the Table
  • Options
    Cool. Now add DI for another 10-20%. :D

Hybrid Evo can work if done right. Use electric to drive the rear wheels so you get torque for take-offs & make the gas (or diesel) portion FWD. That way the added weight of the hybrid system is offset by the reduction in weight by dropping the ICE AWD drivetrain.
  • Options
    Sounds good to me but some Evo fans aren't convinced.
  • Options
    Like anything, as soon as a manufacturer strays from the "pure essence" of their product, hardcore fans will be disappointed.

IMO we should hold judgement until the product has been released. I would hope that Mitsu wouldn't sully the Evo name with a lackluster performer. I could be wrong but I think we can trust them to turn out a performance vehicle. Anything less would, I pray, not get the Evo name.

But to be honest, it's far more important for Mitsu to hybridize their bread & butter Lancer-platform cars: Lancer, Outlander, & Outlander Sport. A hybrid Outlander, done right, would cause me to trade my '10 GT in early.
  • Options
  • Options
    And they should like it. Though the chart doesn't show that Mitsu's sales are still under 10K per month - less than some individual models from other manufacturers - it does show that not only are sales climbing but market share is growing as well. Which means at some level they're taking sales from other brands. Which implies they have product(s) that appeal more than the competition.

Granted, I don't think Mitsu's going to crack the Top 5 Automaker list any time soon, but that's fine. As long as they are successful enough to stay in the US market I'll be content. I'd love to see them get up to a 2-3% market share.

The interesting chart, though, will be the November or December growth numbers. Those months will be the first to reflect the Outlander Sport being out for a full year.

Also it remains to be seen how the elimination of Eclipse/Galant/Endeavor will impact things. Galant & Endeavor particularly since they've had a little bit of a sales renaissance the past few months. Not sure if Mitsu has been fleet-dumping to the rental agencies or what but it seems like since they announced the demise of those models their sales have grown. :confuse:
  • Options
    I don't get how they won't have a mid-size sedan to offer in the showroom. Maybe they're looking a rebadging a competitor's model?

They have good vehicles but it will be hard to sustaing sales momentum without a full lineup of vehicles.
  • Options
    Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing them re-badge the Kizashi. It'd be a boost for both brands and since both are smaller players it wouldn't be quite as obvious as, say the Matrix/Vibe twins.
  • Options
    I kinda like the Kizashi, and it's gotten good reviews.
  • Options
    my test drive in April 2010 of the Suzuki Kizashi still rests nicely upon my mind. The car was a ball to drive, flattened bumps like they weren't there. I think that the Kizashi would be a solid and safe midsize car that looks good and is a gas to drive. Interesting idea to have Mitsubishi re-badge a Kizashi for one of their own midsizers, interesting idea yet it is.

• Options
    http://www.mparts411.com/ is apparently Mitsu's new desktop & mobile-friendly site listing accessories. They gave it a mention with my latest loan statement. It appears to be 2010 & newer, but I imagine some accessories would be good for older models.

As an Outlander GT owner I especially like that they have a tasteful GT decal kit ( http://tablet.mparts411.com/c/side-graphicsgt ). I'll most certainly get that as I've always bemoaned them not suitably labeling the GT trim.

They note that any accessories tie in to the balance of your 5/60K warranty or 12 month/12K miles, whichever is greater.
  • Options
    I'm posting this here as I presume it will apply to more Mitsu's than my '10 Outlander GT.

While getting an oil change the other day I inquired about a map update for the navi system. My '10 Outlander shipped with 2008-A maps and software version H. It turns out the latest upgrade is from 2010. It's listed as a software update so I assume both the maps & the navi software are refreshed.

The upgrade is not free. I didn't expect it to be free but I was mildly surprised to learn it costs $199.98. It's also on backorder.

I might get it, but if I do it'll only be if I can also use a parts coupon to reduce the price.
  • Options
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/wallpapermaker/#

Be sure to press the "English" button in the upper right.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgr17xkA1lM from the 2011 Geneva auto show.

Powertrain seems underwhelming for the US market but I'll reserve judgement until they announce an actual product for us.

They've kept the fighter front end but lowered it & made it less in-your-face.

Personally I'd prefer something a little bigger. I would love a hybrid version of my Outlander though given I average around 27 miles/day I'd be hard pressed to make a solid economic argument for trading it in for the sole reason of gaining fuel efficiency.
  • Options
    Personally I'd prefer something a little bigger. I would love a hybrid version of my Outlander though given I average around 27 miles/day I'd be hard pressed to make a solid economic argument for trading it in for the sole reason of gaining fuel efficiency.

And we get about 30 mpg on the freeway and around 21 mpg in town...don't know what I average in miles per day...I should take some data on that and see. But once we pay off our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS we're gonna be so happy that we have and getting this kind of mpg we won't be needing to trade in anytime soon. The Global Small is sort of interesting...I still am waiting to see if Mitsu builds the 2013 Lancer GTS Hybrid and I'm pretty sure they're going to build the PX-MiEV Hybrid SUV, this one slots in between the Outlander Sport and the Outlander GT.

The PX-MiEV would be great to have in this icy, snowy northern Idaho climate. The clearance would be nice and the AWD it's supposed to have would really be nice.

• Options
    I created a spreadsheet to track my Outlander GT expenses. I categorize everything - payments, repairs, maintenance, gas, etc. - so I can summarize & extract data to best fit whatever needs I might have.

The main things I look at, though, are MPG/tank, MPG lifetime, and cost/day of ownership. That last one always looks high because it includes every expense incurred/# of days since I bought. As of this morning my car has cost $33.60/day to own over 789 days. Of course the lion's share of that is the $20K in payments I've made to date (includes my down payment). Gas is the next biggest expense at $3368. Lifetime average MPG is 21.1 which I consider decent for an AWD CUV given Illinois uses Ethanol, we also get winter blend gas, and my driving habits aren't always economical (lots of short trips & I occasionally use all 230 horses under the hood).

Anyway, by the time I'm ready to purchase my next car, Mitsu's lineup will probably be largely converted to hybrids like the PX. Or at least they'll be optional powertrains. EVs like the i & Leaf are fine but as city cars they'll remain niche vehicles.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    will be introduced soon, at the 82nd Geneva International Motor Show, which runs from March 6th-March 18, 2012.

Tokyo, February 9, 2012 - Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) will present the global debut of the all-new Outlander at the 82nd Geneva International Motor Show which runs from March 6 through March 18*. The new-generation Outlander was built to be eco-friendly and it accomplishes this as it returns fuel efficiency and CO2 emission levels that are among the best in its class. Also on display on the Mitsubishi Motors stand in a lineup of 13 models (8 on the first Press Day) will be the MiEV House, a model for a near-future "EV (electric vehicle) lifestyle" that maximizes household energy usage with the help of an EV, as well as the fast-selling ASX (RVR or Outlander Sport in some markets) and other models currently on sale in Europe.

Also, the new plug-in hybrid PX-MiEV that I've been blogging about here on Edmunds and elsewhere will make it's official debut in fiscal year 2012. Here's that quote out of the article I found it in, on paxtech.com. I believe this may have made it to AutoBloggreen as well. But it's definitely found on paxtech.com.

During fiscal 2012 Mitsubishi Motors will also be adding to its lineup an EV-based Outlander model which will use a plug-in hybrid system derived from MMC's already existing EV technology.

http://paxtech.blogspot.com/2012/02/mitsubishi-motors-to-debut-new.html

I am starting to loosely plan on pursuing either the new '13 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS Hybrid or this Mitsubishi Outlander PX-MiEV plug-in hybrid. Based on MMC's already existing electric vehicle technology. This article sheds light on what will surely be a glorious Mitsubishi future for us Mitsu-Heads. :surprise:

You read it here first, Mitsu-Heads. Remember that term. I am a Mitsu-Head, myself.

Mitsu-Head. I kind of like that.

• Options
    I really like the idea of a plug-in hybrid CUV. 15+ miles, for example, of all-electric range would really reduce operating costs as where I live electricity is around 8 cents/kwh and gas is rapidly rising towards $4/gallon.

That said, I don't think I drive enough miles/year right now to justify the expense of trading in once they go on sale. With 26 months of ownership I'm still under 22K miles on my '10 Outlander GT. Reduced per-mile operating costs don't matter as much when you don't drive that many miles.

Too many unknowns: What'll it cost? What non-drivetrain features will make it compelling? What can I sell my GT for? Will my commute be different (right now I WFH 4 days a week)?
  • Options
    Any of you guys have any idea what a 3 year lease would run on the new electric car? The only figure I've seen is for it is somethig crazy like $1700/mo. That can't be right.

• Options
    I couldn't say for sure but it ought to be in line with what other $30K-ish cars cost to lease, give or take some. Maybe less if the lessee gets to take the tax credit. You might check the official page periodically to see if they say anything: http://i.mitsubishicars.com/?ic=MN_vehicle-menu_100007_04012011

I would think they'd have to undercut whatever lease rates are on a Leaf since Leafs cost more.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Per the German automotive industry publication kfz-betrieb ( http://www.kfz-betrieb.vogel.de/neuwagen/handel/articles/357943/ ), Mitsubishi is planning to release new vehicles in Germany as follows:
    Fall 2012 - New Outlander (as shown in Geneva) and ASX (Outlander Sport) with a slight face-lift (view here: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1074416_2013-mitsubishi-outlander-sport-spy-s- hots )
    December 2012 - European spec version of the Mirage (a.k.a. Global Small)
    2013 - New Outlander Hybrid (as seen in Geneva), next gen Lancer and Lancer hybrid (!!!)
    2014 - Pure electric version of the Mirage (Global Small)

While the above is intended for Germany, it is likely that U.S. market introduction for the models above will be very similar or lagging by no more than 6 months.
  • Options
    I admit to being pretty interested in the PHEV Outlander. If pricing works out I would be pretty tempted to trade my '10 GT before my customary 8-11 years of ownership are over. If it hits Germany/EU in 2013 it won't see our shores until late 2013 or 2014. Plenty of time for reviews to come out and real-world usage experiences to be documented.

Mitsu hasn't sold the Mirage here for a few years to my knowledge. I wonder if they'll market it here to compete with the likes of Fit, Yaris, & Sonic.
  • Options
    Per the prognosticators at Autonews, we should see the PHEV Outlander by Fall of 2013 (Japan will get the PHEV version first, either late this Fall or Q1 of 2013).
    With Mitsubishi's limited brand recognition (and even more limited brand appreciation/respect), they will really have to invest heavily into marketing themselves in the U.S. Pricing will be part of that. Mitsubishi will not be able to command the same price premium as Toyota for the PHEV technology. I am hoping prices for the PHEV will start just below $30k. Above that they are pricing themselves into the size territory of the Highlander...

The Mirage is expected to make it to the U.S. as well. The Fiesta,Fit, Sonic, & Yaris are all actually slightly larger that the Mirage. The Mazda 2 is closest in size but features a larger engine (1.5l) vs. what the Mirage has been announced to carry (1.2l).
    I have a number of concerns with the Mirage in its current form. The car was designed according to the rules and requirements of the Thai governments eco car tax program. Fuel economy, size, pricing, emissions and even styling elements are dictated by the aforementioned.
    In my humble opinion, the exterior needs to be revised to make it look more substantial and acceptable to American consumers. The same goes for the interior, which will need upgraded materials, technology, and a more upscale design. While Mitsubishi will be able to market the car based on its excellent fuel economy, I believe the U.S. consumer still wants a quality car ( i think the slow sales of the iMIEV are proof of this).
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Glanced at my latest update e-mail from Auto News today and noted that Mitsu is on the "5 biggest losers" list for brands that fared the worst in sales. Mitsu is on both lists - the month of May and year-to-date for 2012 vs the same time last year.

Down 26% for May, down 23% for the year at the same time the overall market is up 13% and tongues are wagging about what an amazing recovery the auto industry is having this year.....

Seems like a little less i-Miev, a little more hyper-competitive midsize sedan and crossover might be what is needed......

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Galant, Eclipse, and Endeavor production ended & all they're doing is selling down the inventory on those models.

So in effect it shouldn't be a surprise that sales are down - the number of models is down as is the segments they compete in. But the reporters seem to gloss over things like that.

Still, it is a concern. The i is not going to be a sales driver of any significance. The do indeed need a midsize sedan. I don't think they need any other CUVs in the lineup, though. I'd rather they focus on making the Outlander Sport a better vehicle - mostly by addressing the powertrain (too buzzy, power is laggy).

The regular Outlander - my ride - could use some upgrades: Ditch or redesign the 3rd row, get the hybrid to market, and figure out how to make the 2nd row seats fold flat into the floor instead of tumble forward.

Lancer's fuel economy is now lagging as well. You really need 38-40MPG to get the consumer's attention.

Still, I remain hopeful. While the i won't sell in high numbers it does give them the experience to roll hybrid & EV tech into the more mainstream vehicles.
  • Options
    http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/5cde2912-8b53-439b-be31-e5185a6bc25d

Starting with 50K units/yr; anticipating growth to 70K.

2013 models with refreshed exterior, some interior updates, and a revised CVT.

Separately, if you follow @mitsucars on Twitter you'll see a PDF coupon for a free inspection/battery check (good through August 31).
  • Options
    that Mitsubishi might reintroduce the Lancer to the U.S.? Why not? They have not done well with products aimed specifically at America, and the Lancer is apparently Japan's #1 subcompact for fuel economy.

Of course I would understand if they want to take a wait-and-see approach with that car class below traditional subcompacts, currently occupied by Scion iQ and Smart ForTwo, with perhaps the Fiat 500 thrown in for good measure. Sales are not strong overall, but they are up by huge percentages (200%+) for those few models.

Meanwhile, every place I turn I read more bad press about the Outlander Sport, mainly because several magazines/websites have a long-term model in their fleet and everybody hates having zero power and a consequently over-taxed engine made loud and buzzy by the CVT.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    edited August 2012
    caught my eye because it was discussing the American futures of two of the Japanese second-tier automakers. In the case of Suzuki, I really do think that it will withdraw from the U.S. in the next couple of years. But in the case of Mitsu, the future is less certain, although I could easily see it withdrawing by 2020. Some of the stuff the article mentioned was startling:

In an overall market up 14 percent, Mitsubishi sales are off 29 percent to 37,067 through July.

...With so few new products on the way it is hard to see how the two brands can pull themselves off the floor. The sources say all Mitsubishi has in the works are a restyled Outlander due next summer, and a plug-in hybrid version of the Outlander probably arriving early in 2014.

Mitsubishi launched the Outlander Sport in 2011, but its four U.S.-built nameplates -- the Endeavor crossover, Eclipse coupe, Eclipse Spyder convertible and Galant mid-sized sedan -- have been phased out in the past year.

The Lancer, which went on sale in the United States in 2007, has had no major updates and won't get one until early 2015, according to a source with knowledge of the plans. That's an eternity in a brutal segment with such competitors as the Honda Civic, Hyundai Elantra, Toyota Corolla and Ford Focus.

The Lancer is fading fast. Through July, sales dipped 20 percent to 9,859 units from the same period last year.

...Still, one Mitsubishi insider, who requested anonymity, says the company hasn't given up on the United States. He said more product is in the pipeline beyond the 2015 model year.

They have no midsize sedan or large crossover, two of the very hottest segments among car sales. Their compact car is mostly sold to fleets. Their midsize crossover, another super-crucial segment for sales, is a virtual unknown. Mitsubishi dealers are dying on the vine, and I wonder how they will even GET to 2015, let alone beyond it, with so little product.

Of course, they are making all the right noises about how committed to the American market they are, just like every company ever has that pulled out of the North American market a week later.

All of the reviews I have seen of the Outlander Sport are negative, yet at the refresh going on sale soon Mitsubishi gave no attention to either of the most-complained-about aspects of the car, the engine and the CVT. And what else do they have?

Will Mitsu be gone from the U.S. by 2020? Unless they partner with a much larger car company for product, or these mysterious models "in the pipeline beyond 2015" are all that and a lot more , I would think so, and that's assuming they can make it to 2015. When we look at what they might bring to market in the 2015-2020 timeframe, I am tempted to look back at the 2007-2012 period. By 2007 Mitsu's sales had already suffered steep declines. Even though sales were dropping like a rock, what do we see them offering today to turn their fortunes around? With so little fruit from the last 5 years and nothing in the next 3, why would we expect things to get much better after 2015 even if they do have new product coming?

With sales of only 50,000-60,000 vehicles per year, it must be hard even to raise the revenue to do advertising and whatnot, which just hastens the downward spiral. I predict they will be forced into a partnership with another car company, and with the western automakers not looking for any buddy-ups right now, I wonder who it will be. Perhaps the Chinese? They saved Volvo after all...

http://www.autonews.com/article/20120827/OEM01/308279964/1428

• Options
    "The product is old…and the prices are too high...I don’t know why people buy a Mitsubishi."

That's a quote from...drumroll... the CEO of Mitsu Australia.

Carscoop
  • Options
    A couple of clarifications on the Autonews article.

1) the reason Mitsubishi sales are down 29% so far this year is due to the cancellation of the Eclipse/Eclipse Spyder/Endeavor/Galant.

2) Mitsubishi's biggest problem is marketing money . The company doesn't have enough cash to compete with the marketing spend of larger competitors. As such, they try not to launch multiple brand new models at the same time.

As the article states, Mitsubishi is focusing on emerging markets and they are actually doing quite well there. ASEAN, Russia and South American sales are all doing quite well. Mitsubishi is also ramping up China production and sales and getting ready to make a more committed investment in India.
    Why is the above important? Simple, as Mitsubishi's revenue increases, they will be able to afford additional launches in the U.S.

Consider that Mitsubishi has a number of models that could be sold here but aren't (due to conversion cost). If they really wanted, Mitsubishi could launch any of the following relatively quickly:
    Montero (w/ EURO5 compliant diesel)
    Montero Sport
    Triton
    Delica D:5
    Colt Plus
    Colt (being discontinued)
    Mirage

Finally, regarding your comments.
    Yes, they need a midsize sedan (rebadged 2014 Mazda 6 please).
    The compact crossover (CRV, RAV4, Escape, etc.) market is actually hotter than the midsize or large crossover segment.
    Mitsubishi dealers have been living off of used car sales for several years now and they have been able to make it work... Nonetheless, you are right to question why a dealer would stay with Mitsubishi.
    Mitsubishi has been rumored to be pulling out of the U.S. for over 10 years now... Hasn't happened and only will happen if the parent company in Japan folds.
    Other than for power, the Outlander Sport has actually received some positive reviews in the press and even more so from actual owners. Reviews are even more positive in Eurpoe and other markest where the car is sold with a diesel engine. Finally, I find the criticism of the Outlander Sport's engine power odd since the Subaru XV and Mazda 5 offer virtually the same power output. The CVT for 2013 has been re-calibrated.

Abroad, Mitsubishi has vehicles in the pipeline prior to 2015 that could make it to the U.S.

The next generation Triton compact pickup is being designed jointly with Nissan (Navara/Frontier) and could well be produced both in Thailand and in Nissan's Canton (MS) plant. This will also underpin the next Montero Sport
    The next generation Lancer is actually slated for release in 2014 but may not make it to the U.S. until 2015.
    Next Lancer Evolution (speculated sometime after 2014)
    Sedan version of Mirage probably 2015
    Next Gen Outlander Sport 2016 or 2017
    Next gen Delica D:5 likely sometime between 2015 to2017
    Next gen Montero likely in sometime between 2016 to2018

Finally, as mentioned, Mitsubishi is doing well enough globally speaking to continue operating alone (at least for the near term). Longer term Mitsubishi needs to either massively expand project specific alliances (such as the Nissan project on minicars and compact trucks) or indeed partner up with one or more other automakers (Mazda and Suzuki come to mind).
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I welcome Mr. Oshikiri's frankness. The auto business would be better off if more executives spoke their mind like him.

With that in mind, the timing of his appointment as CEO there conincided with the end-of-life cycle of a large number of Mitsubishi's models sold in Australia:
    Colt (introduced in 2004) to be replaced this fall by the Mirage
    Outlander (introduced in 2006) to be replaced this fall
    Triton L200 (introduced in 2006) to be replaced in 2014
    Lancer (introduced in 2007) to be replaced in 2014
    Pajero (introduced in 2006) likely to be replaced between 2016 & 2018

The newest models Mitsubishi launched there were the Mitsubishi Challenger (Montero Sport) lunched in 2009 and the ASX (Outlander Sport) in 2010.
  • Options
    The biggest bank in Japan (Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi) is owned by one of the Mitsubishi conglomerate companies. I bet they could float a loan for some marketing.

Focusing on emerging markets seems to be their game plan.

Japan's Mitsubishi Motors to End Europe Production (kompas.com)