Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    While Mitsubishi Motors and BOTM-UFJ are both part of the Mitsubishi group of companies (keiritsu if you will), MMC is unlikely to get more money from the group after the 2004 bailout.
    BOTM-UFJ already owns almost 5% of outstanding shares and is not getting much in terms of returns. Plus, Mitsubishi Motors is already so heavily debt-leveraged (only Mazda is worse off in this sector), that the company can't afford to add to its interest-bearing accounts.

As you point out, Mitsubishi's strategy is indeed in emerging markets. Mitsubishi has a favorable position several ASEAN markets, Russia and other nascent markets. Since the already have penetration there, is easier to compete against larger rivals.

With a new larger partner in China (Guangzhou Automobile Group) and more local production coming (3 new models) in the next 9-12 months, MMC finally has a stronger platform in China. This should contribute to the bottom line within the year. The company is also finally getting a little more serious about India (they have languished there while Japanese makes like Suzuki-Maruti are cleaning up).

But what does this mean for the U.S.? Simple, as MMC cash flow improves thanks to emerging markets, the company should be able to reinvest into established markets like the U.S. and Europe.

Nonetheless, the next 2 years will be very tough for U.S. Mitsubishi dealers and the car maker's U.S. operations.
    The factory in Normal (IL) will break even at about 70,000 units. Current production of the Outlander Sport set at is just 50,000. MMC needs to ramp up and find additional export markets for the plant quickly while the dollar remains weak.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited September 2012
    Seems like Mitsu missed its sales target for the i-MIEV by just a TEENSY bit:

Last year (Mitsu Motors Corp President) Masuko floated the goal of someday hitting annual U.S. sales of 10,000 units for the i. It went on sale there last summer, but Mitsubishi sold only 366 through this July.

They only managed to hit THREE PERCENT of their sales target??!! That has to be some kind of record miss. :-P

Could it have something to do with the very odd looks and totally tepid performance of the i-MIEV? Nah, that's probably not it.

Of course, it's not just them. Nissan is way off its sales targets for the Leaf, and Volt production is going on sabbatical because of a surplus created by very weak demand.

As a result, plans for a whole line of Mitsubishi electric vehicles (one of whose future models was supposed to be the Mirage) are on hold:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120903/OEM03/309039977/i-sa- les-make-mitsubishi-wary-of-electrics

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited September 2012
    If these automakers want to sell electrics in any large number, they will have to make them at least AS GOOD AS regular cars in every respect. But they aren't, so they won't.**

exception: The Tesla, which performs just like a regular car--but at a price.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    You seem to be interpreting "someday" as "right away". To me, and I imagine most others, it means "at some point in the future".

Sure, EV sales aren't ramping up to what the automakers thought. But that may be due to factors other than the vehicles themselves. There's the "city car" reality that many folks can't live with. The need for a garage that can be equipped with a charger (and the associated cost of the charger + installation). There's the higher up-front price. There's a recession going on so people are especially wary of big ticket purchases. Heck, I lost my job in June and I don't even want to buy a ticket to a movie let alone consider big ticket purchases like a TV, major appliance, etc.

Mitsu has an uphill climb. They aren't as well-known in the US, don't have as large of a dealer network, and don't have the marketing money. If they are to achieve 10K units/years it'll take costs coming down + promotions/marketing that get the i in front of car-buying eyes. And for the above concerns to be addressed to whatever extent they can be.

I do see a fair number of Volts around here (Chicago 'burbs) but only 1 Leaf & 1 i to date. Of course the i hasn't even been on sale for a full year around here.

IMO Volt-type cars, i.e. plug-in hybrids, make far more sense at the moment. Pure EVs might in 15-30 years but until then hybrids - plug-in and conventional - represent the happy medium.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    In my humble opinion, Mitsubishi made a strategic mistake bringing the i-MIEV to the U.S. Don't get me wrong, I actually like the car. However, while the concept works well for Asia and Europe, Mitsubishi made two major miscalculations regarding the U.S. market:
    1) the car is too small for U.S. tastes (they obviously learned since now they're hesitant to bring the Mirage to the U.S.)
    2) the i-MIEV could only be marketed as a second/third vehicle. Due to the limited range, the car is simply too pricey. I am aware that most Americans live within 20 miles of work. The problem is that most of us also run errands and that would require driving within the maximum range of the car (could be mitigated if you have quick0charging at or near work, which is not yet the case for many).

Obviously, electric cars are still in their infancy. As major automakers invest in battery technology, electric motor development and systems software, these cars will improve relatively quickly. Of course infrastructure to support electric cars is needed as well. Automakers could help along here by having charging stations installed at all their dealers.
    As with all new technology, it takes time for prices to come down and consumers to accept the new technology. It took gasoline-powered cars 30 years to become truly popular.

In regards to Mitsubishi putting electric cars on hold, that only applies to the electric version of the Mirage and only for the U.S. version (where even the ICE-powered version has yet to be green-lit). The parallel-serial hybrid electric plug-in Outlander (say that real fast 3 times) is still on schedule for 2014. The next-gen Lancer is also being developed with the same hybrid power-train in mind (likely for a 2015 release).
    http://www.edmunds.com/auto-shows/paris/2012/2014-mitsubishi-outlander-plug-in-h- ybrid-for-us-2012-paris-auto-show.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hSmDMtXXZIA Crawl around the related videos on the Youtube page for other tidbits.

Anyway, electric AWD boosted by FWD ICE. 500+ mile range, can operate in EV, series, or parallel hybrid mode. Exterior has received an aero makeover and the interior is revised as well. Lane departure warning system, adaptive cruise control, and I'm sure there'll be a few other luxury features trickling their way down.

On sale probably late 2013 as a 2014 model. No word yet on price, of course, I hope that after incentives it comes in under $35K; otherwise it might be too expensive for the segment.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    that Mitsubishi might reintroduce the Lancer to the U.S.? Why not? They have not done well with products aimed specifically at America, and the Lancer is apparently Japan's #1 subcompact for fuel economy.

The Mitsubishi Lancer GTS I bought in March of 2007 that has 94,788 miles on it is not only a great compact sedan, but it is the only compact I would be interested in buying. Period.

It only shows you that people miss the mark when choosing what kind of car to buy. The Lancer is the only one that speaks volumes to me in terms of economy, value, looks and driveability. The car accelerates like a Jayhawk, looks great, is extremely stout and steadfast in the reliability department and makes me a proud owner each and every day I look at it, much less drive it.

Hey! Newflash! Mitsubishi Automotive's parent company is doing quite well, and in case you guys didn't get the memo, their Japanese Automotive CEO has said it so many times it barely bears repeating: No New Taxes.

Umm...I...I mean Mitsubishi isn't going anywhere. But onward and upward. You guys will still be on here bashing them and there will continue to be people like me who will be buying them and enjoying them.

Great cars for the price. And it doesn't help that the Lancer from the 2007 and/on era looks like a million bucks. I have never, ever felt bad about buying my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. Only good and positive feelings about it. Period. Rock on to some tasty Foghat, Guess Who, Tragically Hip and/or Drive-By Truckers. :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

edited November 2012
    Mitsubishi will not be following Suzuki into the potter. I have ample evidence that what I just said is true, too.

In fact, I have stated it many, many times in this very forum. In a nut-shell, Mitsubishi's Corporate CEO has stated many, many times that Mitsubishi will not be leaving the U.S. market.

Now if I were ta add "under any circumstances" there it might just be...wrong. Though. I have faith that my boys will continue to manufacture and distribute the world's finest powertrains, bodystyles and customer warranties available.

At a nice price. :D Onward manufacturing soldiers!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2012
    Talk is cheap and CEOs usually are trying to put a positive spin on stuff. One reason they are still around in North America is because their sister company is a bank.

Wonder what the dealer count is down to now?

I could see them shutting down US car sales and going back to doing more joint work with other US automakers, like they did with Chrysler back in the day. Seems like they are focusing more on little cars, and they don't have good profit margins.

Gas is "cheap" - maybe the new guy can get them back on track with another SUV or crossover to go with the Outlander and Outlander Sport. (Autoblog)
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I can't imagine that a company drops its sedan and stays in business. I think Mitsubishi USA is just running out the clock. It's a shame because they have nice enough product.

I'm in a county of 600,000 people and no Mitsubishi dealer.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I have to agree. Mitsu has manufacturing in the US - something I don't think Suzuki ever achieved that I'm aware of. They're building Outlander Sports not only for the US market but for export as well. As most of the Mitsu family runs on the same platform, the Normal, IL plant could easily be tweaked to produce virtually the entire lineup. That negates a lot of the Yen-Dollar issues & brings transportation costs down.

Mitsu also sells more than Suzuki ever had.

Now I do believe the i isn't helping things. Pure EVs just aren't going to take off in volume any time soon when hybrids and PHEVs like the Volt address most folks needs handily. Unless Mitsu can apply the tech lessons learned to hybrids that'll ultimately be a wasted investment.

What harms Mitsu the most,IMO, is the lack of a midsize sedan. That's a major market that they're just not participating in. I had stated before that Mitsu could just rebrand the Kizashi & sell it stateside. If Suzuki continues to make the Kizashi for other markets, that remain a possibility.

I am hopeful that they can price the upcoming '14 PHEV Outlander aggressively; if they do I'll be sorely tempted to trade in my '10 Outlander before my customary 8-10 years of ownership have passed.
    edited November 2012
    Overall US Mitsubishi sales were 3,981 units last month, down 9.1 percent compared to October 2011.

Mitsubishi Motors Reports Outlander Sport Sales Increase Continues (sacbee.com)

So, 4,000 vehicles a month comes out to 48,000 a year.

Suzuki was doing half that.

The other niche player, Subaru, has sold over 250,000 cars so far this year. Oh, and Mazda was around 225,000.
    Sales last year still reflect winding down Galant/Eclipse/Endeavor so I would expect a drop.

From Motor Intelligence/Autodata:
    Oct 2012 Oct 2011 %Chng. 2012 CYTD 2011 CYTD %Chng.
    3,981 4,378 -9.1% 50,103 70,253 -28.7%

So 50K with 2 months left. Call it 57-60K on the year and down 29% from last year. Mitsu's percentage ups and downs tend to be more drastic in number since a small number of vehicles plays a larger role.

Mitsu has survived in the US market for years doing 40-70K/year in sales volume. No, it ain't great, and they could really stand to have a (relative) hit like they did with the 99-03 Galant. But they are getting by. Sales in other markets help Mitsu as a whole so even if US operations are losing money, overall, last I checked, they was profitable.

They need the PHEV Outlander to hit the US before others. Right now the only hybrid in it's size/price class is the Escape; I think there's a real untapped market for a hybrid/PHEV compact CUV. 30+ MPG with AWD and cheaper than the hybrid Highlander ought to be a hit. I really don't know why Toyota hasn't put out a hybrid RAV4 unless they think it'd cannibalize Prius sales.
    I don't know. The Prius does great. The Ford hybrids look like normal cars and SUVs and don't sell well. Wonder if it's the same story for the Camry hybrid and Highlander hybrid.

You can get an EV RAV4. Only $50,000.
    edited November 2012
    Mitsu has manufacturing in the US - something I don't think Suzuki ever achieved that I'm aware of

Yes, but it's running way below capacity and they are desperately trying to figure out how to dump it because they can't afford to keep it.

Mitsu sales are plummeting in a year when ALL the car companies selling here have seen them rise (including the small Japanese companies Steve mentioned). Sure you can point to all the product Mitsubishi pulled off the market since last year, but that's just the point - they have no product to sell in the segments with the most sales volume in the U.S. It's a formula for failure.

The clock is ticking for Mitsu USA - the story is too similar to Suzuki's to be ignored here - a small lackluster dealer network, NO national advertising of their products, a model line-up that is totally misaligned with American vehicle preferences, almost zero annual sales, and at least Suzuki had one model that was critically acclaimed by every reviewer that drove it (the Kizashi). Mitsu has no such model (except the niche-level-sales Evo), but they do have one model (the Outlander Sport) that every reviewer criticizes heavily - not good for sales, usually.

If they don't completely TOTALLY change course in the U.S., including a huge investment in their American dealers and advertising, they have maybe 3-5 years left in the U.S. I would be amazed to see them last past 2020 with their current business model here.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

What harms Mitsu the most,IMO, is the lack of a midsize sedan. That's a major market that they're just not participating in. I had stated before that Mitsu could just rebrand the Kizashi & sell it stateside. If Suzuki continues to make the Kizashi for other markets, that remain a possibility.

You're right, but, ya know, I don't even mind the Galant and would consider a purchase of one. But I'd pick a Suzuki Kizashi over it. BTW-a 2010 Kizashi with low miles shouldn't really cost more than...what? $9,999? Flaming bargain for all the Suzuki you get!

That car flattened bumps, steering straight and true, accelerated nicely and drove overall like a champ during my April 2010 test drive. Love it!

Mitsubishi will be here for years and years and years and years and years. And years. Just as sure as Chris Hansen and David Stern, as he bows out of the NBA front office helm, will get the Sonics back to Seattle, Mitsubishi will be staying in the USA.

Y'all hold yer breath waiting for their American demise. :shades:

edited November 2012
    Mitsubishi will be here for years and years and years and years and years. And years......Y'all hold yer breath waiting for their American demise

Of course, you did say the same thing last year about Suzuki, May 27th to be exact...

Suzuki does just fine without income from sales in the NA marketplace. Because they are making the bulk of their money from the Asian countries. They have their other endevours, including motorcycle manufacturing and making small cars for the people of India.

Look for them ta stay in the U.S. marketplace for a long, long time.

;-)

I know you love Mitsu, iluv, but you may yet have to return to your cherished Kia for your next automobile! Two years out, right?

edited November 2012
    ***Disclaimer*** I'm a pragmatist and not brand-biased. The below is FYI.

Nippon, while you are correct that they are running below capacity (and break-even), no company in their right mind would invest $100 million (minus the $29 mil in tax breaks) in a plant just to turn around and get rid of it a couple of years later. Production is currently projected at 50k units expected to rise to 70k units within 2 years. 70k units also happens to be the break-even point for the plant. Once Mitsubishi adds another model the plant will easily be profitable.
    Mitsubishi is already producing almost 60% of its cars outside of Japan and is planning to move more production abroad due to the strength of the Yen (as are most Japanese automakers). Within the next 3 years, Mitsubishi's plan is to make Japan the R&D hub, produce kei cars, the Pajero/Montero/Shogun, and a good portion of the RHD supply for Japan. The rest will be manufactured abroad.

In regard to the product Mitsubishi pulled off the market, only the Galant is of any consequence. The Eclipse and Spyder were low-volume and rendered un-competitive with the launch of the Genesis coupe and obsolete with the arrival of the BRZ/FR-S twins. The Endeavor and Outlander were too close in size. Mitsubishi has confirmed that they will not develop their own midsize, though that does not rule out an OEM supply agreement with another manufacturer (Nissan and Mazda come to mind).

While sales are down due to the phase-out of the above mentioned nameplates, sales of the surviving models are up a cumulative 7%.

Mitsubishi's dealer network is roughly twice the size of Suzuki's and they have survived on thin margins, bolstered by used car sales. Mitsubishi doesn't need more dealerships until their sales volume grows. Otherwise their margins for the dealerships would be squeezed even further.

Mitsubishi actually does have national advertising, it is simply much smaller (only about $200 mil) compared to say Hyundai or Toyota. Also, they tend to focus more on on-line and social media rather than the more expensive TV ads.

While certainly not a massive hit, not all, and not even most, reviewers "heavily criticized" the Outlander Sport. If anything they felt the car was under-powered, especially with the CVT. Consumers seem to be happy with it and it is Mitsubishi's best selling model.

Also, the regular sized Outlander is actually well regarded, with recommendations from Consumer Reports, Cars.com, US News, etc. The next gen Outlander will go on sale in the U.S next summer, which should boost sales.

Regarding vehicle preferences, Mitsubishi is in the two fastest growing segments, the small CUV and compact CUV segments. Their absence in the midsize sedan, as you correctly point out, is a problem though. It is still the largest passenger vehicle segment in the U.S.

Finally, I completely agree with you that Mitsubishi must do a better job at marketing themselves and providing ad support for their dealerships. The dearth of marketing and PR has lead to a large amount of misinformation and misconception about the brand. Forgive me for saying this but you make a good example of that... ;-)
    While certainly not a massive hit, not all, and not even most, reviewers "heavily criticized" the Outlander Sport.

No?

Edmunds
    "Though it's an agreeable urban runabout, the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is outclassed by other small crossovers that are either more practical or more fun to drive."

Autoweek
    "Would I consider this over a Chevrolet Equinox or a Volkswagen Tiguan? Not with this drivetrain."

Car and Driver
    "Given Mitsubishi’s perilous predicament in the U.S., we’re disappointed that the Sport seems to have received little thought beyond combining the Outlander’s styling with the Lancer parts bin.

Motor Trend
    If someone told me that the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport was to be my daily driver for the next five years, I think I'd fall to my knees and weep.

Cars.com
    The horrendous engine that bellows from behind the dashboard of the all-new Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, on the other hand, is bad enough to strike this crossover off of any recommendation list.

Consumer Reports hated the ride, the handling, the weak engine, and the terribly noisy CVT. "The Outlander Sport is not that great to drive".

I followed Inside Line's blogs on it with their long-term car, and they sounded a negative tone all year long:
    Early impressions of the 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport engine were unanimous. "It lacks intestinal fortitude," was a favorite. "Slower than dial-up," was a close second
    Acceptance of the velocity challenges inherent in the Outlander was one thing; noise was another. Executive Editor Michael Jordan explained, "For me, it's not the speed that really matters here; instead it's the sound. If the engine sounds willing, then the time passes happily. Unfortunately this engine does not sound happy.
    Fact is, the Mitsu's fuel economy was disappointing the entire year. After 20,000 miles our single best tank was just 27 mpg, and we averaged 23 mpg for the duration of our test. That's well behind the Outlander's 24 city/29 highway mpg EPA ratings.

Now those are the sources I read regularly, so you will forgive if I got a strong impression that this might be the worst new car on the market in 2011. Just now I stumbled across a review from a website called Mother Proof that apparently really liked it, so the criticism was not as universal as I thought.

And I did find a couple of reviews that applauded it for being a very good value, with a low low base price and a relatively spacious interior for such a small spud.

So, misconception and misinformation? Well, if you must, then I will wear this mantle.

But Mitsu really needs to move the needle with every new model it introduces, I think, because it is so far off the radar of most of the buying public, which is a lot of the point I was trying to make with my earlier post.

There is one crucial difference between Suzuki and Mitsubishi actually - Mitsu is basically its own bank in addition to other giant industrial components of the Mitsubishi Group back in Japan, so it can continue to finance American operations indefinitely if it wants to I suppose.

As for the plant in Normal, I wasn't suggesting they would try to "dump it" but they badly need a partner to defray the overhead costs there, and there doesn't seem to be one forthcoming.

Outlander.

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander

The silver is treating it right IMHO. :)

Just waiting for the PHEV version.
    edited December 2012
    are you thinking you're wanting a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander - PHEV version? The one above looks awesome. And now after getting my very own Mitsubishi I know they are just as awesome as I thought they would be ta own. I had a fellow employee at an Arizona workplace inform me that "engine will run forever!" That is, of course, my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and it's 2.0L I4 152 horse, 148 ft-lb's of torque motored Mitsubishi.

So far the ride has been excellent. I would (and do) recommend Mitsu's to anyone who will listen ta me. I can really find very few, if any, faults the car has, nothing that would stop a purchase. And those tiny faults (which are so small you'd need a very powerful New Mexico grade telescope ta see them) are not so negative that they overshadow all of the positives the compact sedan has to offer.

It'll be fun to watch the development of the new Outlander for 2014. It looks great ta me!

I am thinking about it. Maybe not a '14 though since my '10 Outlander only has 27K miles on it. It'll also depend on the pricing and the specs. What kind of fuel economy improvements they can offer. And, it'd be nice if they built it at the Normal plant (though that's unlikely at the moment).
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I'll see how Mitsu's doing in a couple of years when my wife's ready to replace our '07. I just bought a '12 Mustang, so I plan on keeping the '07 for winter and trailer hauling duties.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    how's that 2012 Ford Mustang treatin' ya? :shades:

I really like it. Surprisingly good daily driver, I got the premium trim with heated leather, pony pack and 305 horse six with the six speed manual. Drove home from work today in a snowstorm, did pretty good with a couple hundred pounds of sandbags in the trunk. Only thing that dissapoints is the gearing, I think they're 2.73's, you gotta downshift and wind it out to really get it moving.
    but let me get this straight. By them gearing that 2.73 and you having to wind it out to really get it moving, that hurts your fuel economy, right?

For daily driving, I rarely wind it through the gears. Maybe once or twice a week. Redline is 6800, I can't bring myself to wind it that high, though it really stars to go at over 5000. I'm averaging 22-24 mpg in suburban driving, too, better than the Outlander or the Lincoln LS the Mustang replaced. To get back on topic, started the '07 outlander yesterday, was running rough and service engine light was on. Engine eventually ran smooth, but the light stayed on. Today the light was off and the car ran fine, thinking maybe some dirt in the injectors that worked it's way through?
    Some videos in Japanese: http://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?video_ids=oBbvAi2oi6M%2CzB8OHbr-3rc%2CCl3kHv- mOj8w%2CAdyOqmEZBME&no_autoplay=1 (the last one features a decided Anglo couple & it's dubbed in Japanese).

From the second spot, there are 2 "fuel consumption" numbers: 18.6 km/l and 67 km/l. While my Japanese is too rusty to translate, just doing unit conversions reveals 43.7 and 157.6 mpg. I'm going to assume that means the eMPG rating will be 157 and it can sustain about 44 MPG in charge-sustaining mode. Not bad for a crossover with AWD. Electric range should be respectable as it shares battery packs with the i-MiEV.

To make a PHEV make even more sense, I just switched electricity suppliers. New rate will be 4.71 cents/kwh so a plug-in would be very cheap to operate.
    whoa...gotta say that I'll be following the PHEV Outlander's introduction to the "real" automotive market pretty closely in the upcoming months. Great ghastly mileage and "electric" numbers as well. Mitsubishi is a great, great automotive company. Love 'em more all of the time!

Of course things may change for the US introduction, the competition could roll out compelling alternatives, and the pricing could turn out to be too high for average consumers to consider. So it's definitely a wait-and-see thing. But it is encouraging and I find it interesting that the only real hybrid CUV in the Outlander's class is the Escape. Really, really surprised that Toyota hasn't released a hybrid RAV4 considering that they have the most production hybrid experience of any modern automaker. Their EV RAV4 doesn't count IMO since it isn't truly their product.

I don't know if you caught it but Mitsu trimmed 200 pounds off the regular '14 Outlander; that I'm sure helped efficiency for ICE-based as well as PHEV Outies.
    fushigi. I am officially even more interested than before now in the 2014 Mitsubishi PHEV Outlander. I first saw glimpses of it about a year ago on the net and have been interested in it ever since. Priced around $25,000, right?

I'm sure $25K will be for the 4 cyl ICE version. 6 cyl & PHEV versions will certainly cost more. My V6 '10 Outlander GT stickered over 33K and there were a couple of dealer-adds on top of that (aftermarket remote start, scuff plates, etc.).

I fully expect a "nicely equipped" the PHEV to run at least $40K before any gov't incentives. Think Chevy Volt pricing. But considering I wouldn't use any gas at all on a normal commute it might still be worth it.

I've driven to my client's site a couple of times since xmas and in the eco-friendly parking garage I use (http://www.greenwayselfpark.com/) there's been a Fisker Karma charging both times. Very attractive sedan. And I like that the garage has charging stations (and wind power generators); if I bought a PHEV Outlander it'd be a good place to recharge.
    edited February 2013

This was from January 2009 Car and Driver. I must say the Mitsubishi Lancer GT does look the best. And owning a '08 Lancer GTS does make me biased, I realize. But my Lancer GTS is such a great car, at idle it barely makes a noise. And I have 100,589 miles on the car!

We are able to enjoy the great cars from Mitsubishi partly because the rest of the Mitsubishi conglomerate is successful enough to throw cash towards Mitsubishi Global Automotive often enough that it counts.

And for that this hombre is so very, very thankful. Thank you for making such a great compact automobile, Mitsubishi! ;)

I don't know that Mitsu follows the Edmunds forums. They are on Twitter & Facebook, though, so you can post on their feed/wall if you want to give them the pubic kudos.

I'm debating hitting the Chicago Auto Show this week. Don't really have the time but would like to wander the floor.
    I might do the Chicago show myself. I'm about 90 miles north but I'll be staying near Wrigley field next weekend. I thought about the motorcycle show today but didn't feel like making the drive. To stay on topic, I'll be taking the Outlander down there. No way I'll take the new Mustang there, especially as I'll have to valet park at the hotel.
    "The 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage debuted on Thursday at the 2013 New York Auto Show, as the automaker mulls a plan to expand the brand's product line in the U.S.

Mitsubishi is considering adding a midsized sedan and a large seven-passenger crossover, segments the automaker abandoned, Edmunds has learned. As part of that plan, Mitsubishi is making an effort to create more exciting looking vehicles."

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Heralds Product Push

"Edmunds says: Big changes may be in store for Mitsubishi in the U.S."

Comments like that make me wonder if they'll do a Suzuki. :blush:
    I'll admit to being concerned about US acceptance of a 74HP 1.2L powerplant, though 37/44/40 city/highway/combined may be enough to sway buyers, especially with the low price. If it gets excellent crash scores then it may woo some Scion buyers.

And I've always contended that Mitsu - really all mainstream carmakers - needs a midsize sedan in the lineup. I just hope they come up with a new platform to put it on instead of trying to get more mileage out of the Lancer platform which underpins the Outlander duo and is already several years old.

Does the 14 Outlander still run on the Lancer platform? I'm curious since I'm sure a lot of work went in to making it PHEV-ready (along with the other refinements).

I do not think they need the larger 7 passenger SUV. If they already have a foreign-market unit that they can just update for the US, then fine, but personally I think it'd be a waste of engineering effort and cost to do such a vehicle, especially when the marketplace doesn't really show jumbo utes selling in mass quantities. At least that's my observation based on the cars I see on the road.

(I'm still considering the PHEV Outlander for my next car, though my '10 Outlander doesn't even have 30K on the odo yet so I'm likely years away from my next purchase.)
    I gotta agree, a competitive mid-size sedan is a must to compete in the marketplace. They need a exciting complete lineup pretty fast, or they're gonna fall off the radar screen for most buyers. Wife's still pretty happy with our '07 Outlander, especially the V6 engine, which you can't really get in a compact CUV anymore.
    edited March 2013
    in the U.S. market. I am still loving my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and it's strong engine. I don't think any carmaker makes a better engine than Mitsubishi. Mine still purrs like a kitten at 102,644 miles.

The new Global Small Car is a sound design and should sell like hotcakes with ghastly prices way over $3.00 a gallon for RUG. We still need ta get off of ghastly and on to hydrogen or all-electric drivetrains.

Mitsubishi Motors runs separately from its Mitsubishi parent Company, and that is one huge parent Company. It is not the same situation as Suzuki Motors. I think Suzuki Motors looked at American people as more trouble than they're worth and really not very right at picking out new automobiles. Think I'm wrong? Ask your favorite Suzuki executive.

Look at all the dumb Honda, GM, Hummer, etc. products on American roads and you'll have my answer. The 2010 Suzuki Kizashi I test drove rocked mightily. I have talked to countless people who have bought Suzuki's and they love them.

I loved that Kizashi but I love my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS more. It's a great car that's so easy to take care of and looks fantastic. I wouldn't want any other car.

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage

edited March 2013
    I think Suzuki Motors looked at American people as more trouble than they're worth

Looks like Canadians are troublesome too. :D Suzuki is done after model year 2014 up there.
    Like I said, my concern about the new Mirage is the powerplant. If it only brings the weaksauce then people probably won't buy it regardless of fuel economy. I'm hoping they've maximized the low-end torque so the off-the-line performance at least feels peppy (doesn't have to actually be fast as long as there's a little throttle-thrill).

I don't know that comparing Suzuki to Mitsu is valid. Suzuki never had a strong year while Mitsu had several (lots of success with the 99-03 Galants, for instance). Suzuki never had US manufacturing. Suzuki never had remotely near a complete lineup. Suzuki never had a niche they did well in like the Evo & Eclipse. Suzuki never really had a reputation for anything. Suzuki DID have the Samurai rollover PR nightmare.

Not that Mitsu has been perfect, of course, but the US histories of the two companies really have little in common.

Personally I'm content with my '10 Outlander GT. Unlike Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Hyundai, etc. Mitsu has had exceedingly few recalls that I've heard about and my car hasn't had any. So while it may not be the greatest car, the engineering and build quality are quite good. There was the issue with weak AC compressors (bad batch from their supplier) but that was handled under warranty.
    edited May 2013
    "Volvo and Mitsubishi are among the 10 brands sold in America that 24/7 Wall St. predicts will disappear before 2014.

"Brands with market shares under half a percent cannot compete with companies that either produce high-luxury models like Mercedes-Benz or multiline giants like General Motors," the report said.

Volvo Cars of North America had no official reaction to the report, a spokesman told Edmunds; Mitsubishi Motors North America did not respond immediately to a request for comment on the report."

Report Predicts Demise of Volvo and Mitsubishi in the U.S.

Road and Track is also toast, predicts 24/7 Wall St.com.

Note that their prediction success rate is pretty lame. :shades:
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    I was going to say, 24/7 Wall St is a click-trolling joke. Volvo anyway isn't going anywhere.

Mitsu on other hand might be shakier.
    Oh, they weren't so bad - only had four pages to click through for the top ten, instead of the usual eleven pages, plus two ad pages. :shades:
    If Mitsu closes the Normal plant I'll be nervous. But until that occurs I see no reason to doubt them staying in the US market.

The '14 Outlander is getting positive press and the PHEV version will hopefully build on that. The Outlander is also just about the only game in town if you want a V6 instead of an I4 (and it gets as good or better fuel economy than the turbo I4s of the competition) in a compact.

The Outlander Sport just got positive PR for being one of only 2 CUVs to do well on the new IIHS test.

The two big needs I see are an updated Lancer that raises economy to the now "magic" 40MPG and, ideally, something to compete in the midsize sedan segment. The Lancer issue I expect will be solved shortly; I don't know if Mitsu has plans for a new midsizer.
    http://skywire.discovery.com/#sweeps

Mitsu is the exclusive automobile sponsor for the Skywire walk across the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks. As part of the promotion they're giving away a newly designed 2014 Outlander.

Enter daily to increase your chances of winning.

I'll cross-post this to the Outlander thread.
    I think most of us know that Mitsu's reach into the US goes beyond autos. Here's a list of their US companies/branches: http://www.mitsubishi.com/e/area/n_america.html

Of course Mitsu owning a bank, a glass manufacturer (auto/solar/commercial), and various other concerns doesn't necessarily help the position of MMNA but it can't hurt.
    Mitsu is the exclusive automobile sponsor for the Skywire walk across the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks. As part of the promotion they're giving away a newly designed 2014 Outlander.

Enter daily to increase your chances of winning.

Oh this is a no-brainer ta enter and try for, for sure. Love ta have one of these!