Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    If you're in the midwest & want to make a road trip, the Factory Mitsubishi Owners Day is Sept. 21 from 9-1: https://www.facebook.com/events/167614063416281/ or https://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/owners-site/owners-day.do

Unfortunately I have a conflict & can't make it this year.

East-coast MOD will follow on Oct. 5.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Stopped at the dealer for an oil change. Checked out the '14 Outlander, not bad. Exterior is kind of boring, but the inside is much improved, even on the base model. Odd that all they have in the showroom is small SUV 's (outlander & outlander sport) and a Lancer. No I - Miev or Lancer. Don't know why they would'nt have a few, especially the Lancer, just for variety or someone coming in to look for one.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.

To end the year, Mitsu's sales were up 7.7%, slightly beating the overall US industry growth rate of 7.6%. Total units was 62,227 or about 6 weeks worth of Camrys. ;) Car sales continue to decline while light trucks - the CUVs - are up 41.5%.

What does this mean? Beats me. A sales increase is good but Mitsu remains at about 0.4% market share. Relatively inexpensive gas the past few months has probably kept Mirage sales from taking off. The i-MiEV can probably be written off at this point, but the tech should live on. Mitsu was looking to deploy a plug-in hybrid Outlander that used the i-MiEV's battery but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Mitsu is slated to be at the Chicago Auto Show next month; hopefully I'll get a chance to attend.

I checked out Mitsubishi display at the Chicago show last year, don't know if I'll make it down this year, I'm just south of Milwaukee and that show's much closer, but not as good. '07 Outlanders been running great in this subzero weather, was gonna replace the original battery, but it's hanging in there.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited January 2014

Mitsubishi recently announced that they are pushing the introduction of the new Outlander Hybrid to 2015. I believe it was because of a battery supplier/supply problem. The new SUV is definitely on, for sure. Mirage sales are coming along - gas prices for RUG seem ta be rising here in southern NM in the last few days. The closest Mitsubishi dealer to me is 70 miles west in Las Cruces. I would deal with them for my next Mitsubishi - they have been fair ta me when I've taken the '08 Lancer GTS in for service.

I'm really looking forward to what Mitsubishi is going to be producing the next year or two. The Lancer GTS is at 116,899 miles right now and running great. I like the new Mirage - I would buy it in 5-speed standard transmission form even though ghastly mileage actually is improved when you select the CVT tranny over the manual.

Pretty sure I could draw about 40 mpg consistently with it's little 1.2L 3 cyl. 74 hp/74 ft. pounds of torque motor.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    I think Suzuki Motors looked at American people as more trouble than they're worth

Looks like Canadians are troublesome too. :D Suzuki is done after model year 2014 up there.

Ya..but apparently they're gonna hang in there with bikes..probably in the US too?

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

@iluvmysephia1 said:
    I don't think any carmaker makes a better engine than Mitsubishi. Mine still purrs like a kitten at 102,644 miles.

Well, they were not without their issues 25 years ago (and less). Of course 25 years was a fair while ago, but nonetheless during the same time period, similar engines by competitors didn't suffer as many ailments. Their 2.6 4 cyl that Chrysler used as the optioned up engine in the first few years of Caravans, was a disaster. It was also used in Sapporos and a few other Japanese based brands sold under Chrysler's name. And there were head gasket problems and a few other issues with their 3 litre V6 also used in the minivans..but overall..in the end they were not too bad an engine.

The 1.5 used in the first Ponys on these shores back in 84 or 86? had some oil burning issues, but I'm not so sure this wasn't owner negligence..cuz I have known of more than one that when not neglected..delivered. I think that same block was used in Dodge Colts (Japanese) and they actually stood up not too badly when turbo'd even in a few models.

I really like Mitsubishi grills, no matter what vehicle they manufacture. They just have a really really handsome look. Almost as brand-recognized as Volvo with their slash or BMW's twin kidney..

I am not a fan of CVTs and I think that hurt the Kizashi a lot. Ditto anything Mitsu puts them in. (Or anyone else for that matter..sounds like the only one maybe worth owning is in Honda's new Accord with the 4 cyl.

I like the Mirage too..but want an auto on next vehicle and the CVT just doesn't cut it for me. I picture that little triple screaming its little heart out a lot of time.

I suspect that CVTs are popular not only for EPA ratings, but I bet they cost less to produce than a proper 6 sp. It always ends up being about the money..

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

My '89 Voyager had the fuel-injected 2.5L I4, which produced a respectable 100 hp. (The "respectable" language came from Wikipedia. B) ).

Three head gaskets in 90,000 miles, all covered under warranty. Otherwise we really liked the body style.

I think CVTs are going to prove reliable too - fewer moving parts. That would mean warranty savings for the manufacturers.

Mitsubishi has been carrying a lot of baggage for a lot of years. "The company has been seeking to restore confidence in its cars for more than a decade after saying it covered up safety defects and customer complaints, alienating consumers to the point that it required to be bailed out by other Mitsubishi companies almost a decade ago." It's been making profits though and sales, small as they are, are up.

Mitsubishi Motors to Raise Up to $2.3 Billion in Stock Sale (Bloomberg)

@toomanyfumes said:
    I checked out Mitsubishi display at the Chicago show last year, don't know if I'll make it down this year, I'm just south of Milwaukee and that show's much closer, but not as good. '07 Outlanders been running great in this subzero weather, was gonna replace the original battery, but it's hanging in there.

Well, my '10 GT's battery died last Friday. Not that I can blame it. It was over 4 years old and anything beyond that from the OEM unit is gravy. My current circumstances aren't battery-friendly: it's been a bit chilly here, I mostly do rather short drives (less than 2 miles), and with the cold I'm running more accessories (seat heather, defrost, etc.) so it's no wonder the draw got to be too much.

The dealer did check the electrical to make sure it was just the battery and everything else is a-ok.

@iluvmysephia1 said:
    Mitsubishi recently announced that they are pushing the introduction of the new Outlander Hybrid to 2015. I believe it was because of a battery supplier/supply problem. The new SUV is definitely on, for sure. Mirage sales are coming along - gas prices for RUG seem ta be rising here in southern NM in the last few days. The closest Mitsubishi dealer to me is 70 miles west in Las Cruces. I would deal with them for my next Mitsubishi - they have been fair ta me when I've taken the '08 Lancer GTS in for service.

I'm really looking forward to what Mitsubishi is going to be producing the next year or two. The Lancer GTS is at 116,899 miles right now and running great. I like the new Mirage - I would buy it in 5-speed standard transmission form even though ghastly mileage actually is improved when you select the CVT tranny over the manual.

Pretty sure I could draw about 40 mpg consistently with it's little 1.2L 3 cyl. 74 hp/74 ft. pounds of torque motor.

Thanks for the hybrid update. I hadn't seen the news about it being pushed back. Probably for the best as it'll let me finish paying off my GT (by December) before getting lured into a replacement. I'd love a PHEV as my daily drive would consume zero gas.

Sounds like you really pile on the miles on your Lancer; that's almost 20K a year. I do hope the next gen Lancer gets a serious economy bump; it's being left behind by the competition. My sister has an MT Elantra and she can get 43-45 "highway" (rural highway 55MPH) out of it, which she needs as her commute is 62 miles each way.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    My '89 Voyager had the fuel-injected 2.5L I4, which produced a respectable 100 hp. (The "respectable" language came from Wikipedia. B) ).

Three head gaskets in 90,000 miles, all covered under warranty. Otherwise we really liked the body style.

I think CVTs are going to prove reliable too - fewer moving parts. That would mean warranty savings for the manufacturers.

Mitsubishi has been carrying a lot of baggage for a lot of years. "The company has been seeking to restore confidence in its cars for more than a decade after saying it covered up safety defects and customer complaints, alienating consumers to the point that it required to be bailed out by other Mitsubishi companies almost a decade ago." It's been making profits though and sales, small as they are, are up.

Mitsubishi Motors to Raise Up to $2.3 Billion in Stock Sale (Bloomberg)

Sounds like my Mazda experience in the '90s. My MX-3 needed a new transmission @ 38K and again @ 76. I dumped it before it would need a 3rd.

I remain open-minded on CVTs. A friend - not a car guy - with an Altima couldn't care less; it just works. To me, as long as it's properly implemented a CVT will be fine.

Thanks for the link on Mitsu's stock sale. Nice to see they've been profitable. I wish that would kill the annual doom-and-gloom around them leaving the US market.

edited January 2014

My 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with automatic CVT transmission has shown me that the CVT with its paddle shifters is reliable and it works well first time, every time. They are fun ta use and can be used to slow the car down going down a hill, much like regular manual trannies. It works so good and so precisely that, if you wanted to, you could chirp the beautiful car's tires with the system. I was pleasantly surprised by how tight, precise and useful the automatic transmission with CVT made by Mitsubishi Motors is.

edited January 2014

BTW - I don't know if you all know that when your Mitsubishi has an automatic transmission CVT, you can just put it in 'P', 'N', 'D', etc., just like with any other automatic transmission.

Then, if you want to play and "shift gears-6 forward gears and 6 minus gears", you take the gated gearknob shifter and move it in to automatic CVT mode. As opposed to plain old automatic transmission mode. When it's in the CVT mode all you have to do is pull the paddle shifter towards you in the "positive" mode - say from '1' to '2' to '3', etc. There is no clutch but your car can gain speed through it's engine being given more juice from the CVT system. To slow down simply pull the "negative" paddle shifter towards you - this bring it down a "gear"...again, without a clutch pedal to push in. The negative gear paddle shifter is on the left side of your steering wheel and the positive great paddle shifter is on the right side of your car's steering wheel.

It all works very smoothly and very easily. I like ta toggle the "gears" down towards '1' from whatever I had the CVT system up to, in order to slow the Lancer GTS' engine down when going down a hill. The system works fast, it's fun and it's very, very accurate. I love it - I wanted a 5-speed standard stick '08 Lancer GTS but bought one with an automatic CVT tranny instead, so my wife could use the car and my son could use the car. It has worked out well, though I still long for a 5 or 6-speed standard transmissioned rig next time honestly I would buy one with an automatic CVT again and yes, more than likely that car will be a Mitsubishi!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-02-17/classified/ct-auto-mitsubishi-0213-20140213_1_mitsubishi-mirage-mitsubishi-motor-outlander-sport

Interesting article. Hints at a new Galant to be a platform-sharer with/from Nissan.

And the Outlander PHEV looks to be delayed in the US/NA market due to ongoing battery shortage issues (it is on sale in other markets).

The article doesn't get into it, but Mitsu can't overlook upgrading and expanding the dealer network.

I suppose, but I'd imagine they need to fill out the product line more before they can gather enough interest from dealers to add them. The addition of a new Galant (or other-named midsizer) would probably be key.

Yeah, a bit of a chicken and egg problem. Dealers need product and Mitsu needs dealers.

• psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    edited February 2014

@fushigi said:
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-02-17/classified/ct-auto-mitsubishi-0213-20140213_1_mitsubishi-mirage-mitsubishi-motor-outlander-sport

Interesting article. Hints at a new Galant to be a platform-sharer with/from Nissan.

And the Outlander PHEV looks to be delayed in the US/NA market due to ongoing battery shortage issues (it is on sale in other markets).

Regarding the update for the Outlander mentioned in the article the following links might be of interest.
    Apparently Mitsubishi has listened and has added more noise insulation as well as revised the suspension by incorporating rebound springs to the dampers for improved handling. In addition the taillights will be clear combination lights with LED.
    http://en.responsejp.com/article/2014/01/31/216217.html

Pictures of the exterior:
    http://en.responsejp.com/article/img/2014/01/31/216217/536468.html

Information regarding next gen US-only Galant

Per the two news articles below, Renault is using the Nissan/Mitsubishi partnership to develop the next generation Mitsubishi Galant, Renault Latitude and Samsung SM5.
    Among other interesting information provided about Renault & Renault Samsung, the articles mention production start in 2015 for the Galant and 2016 for the Latitude and SM5.

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/article/3267/losing-growth-momentum-renault-samsung-motors-hasn’t-produced-new-model-7-years

http://www.planeterenault.com/1-gamme/1597-actualite-automobile/4044-remplacante-pour-latitude-2016-/
    (in French)

I was not aware that Samsung made cars. :o

And I've said numerous times that Mitsu needs a midsizer to keep people interested in the brand long-term. I'm glad they're addressing the segment. While I'm no Renault fan, if the underpinnings are more Nissan than anything else I'm sure it'll be a good car. Hopefully they will be able to do something to make it a good competitor in the segment. The final gen Galant was an OK car but not competitive with what the other major manufacturers were delivering.

Maybe they can start with delivering a PHEV edition to go along with the (hopefully will finally be released in 2015) PHEV Outlander.

The current Samsung SM5/Renault Latitude are based on the previous generation Nissan Altima/Teana platform.The next gen SM5/Latitude will more than likely be based on the current generation Altima platform and the Galant will simply be a re-badge of the SM5/Latitude.

edited April 2014

It would appear that this article posted a while back by edmunds.com didn't get a lot of attention (sarcasm gee... wonder why...? end sarcasm)
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/mitsubishis-future-plans-include-hybrids-major-model-overhaul.html

Below is a listing of future Mitsubishi launches for simplified viewing:

2014 (2015 model year)

Mirage hatch - minor exterior and interior changes

Mirage sedan - unconfirmed, all new to U.S. line-up

Outlander Sport - 2.4l engine added to line-up, new CVT

Lancer - outside mirror turn signal indicators

Outlander - exterior freshening with new grille/front air dam and new combination taillights with LED

2015 (2016 model year)

Mirage hatch - exterior freshening

Outlander Sport - All New

Lancer - New CVT and new telematics system

Outlander - PHEV model added, mid-cycle re-fresh (incorporating Mitsubishi's new design language)

Galant - All New (based on next gen Renault Samsung SM5/Latitude)

2016 (2017 model year)

Mirage sedan - turbo engine model added or initial U.S. launch, to be confirmed

Outlander - new telematics system

Montero - All New

In other markets Mitsubishi will be launching the following. Depending on market conditions, R&D costs, and consumer interest these may eventually make it to the U.S. The following is purely speculative:

Triton/L200 compact pick-up truck - All New, to be launched fall of 2014. May come to U.S. if U.S./Thai free trade agreement will allow circumvention of Chicken Tax

Montero Sport/Challenger/Nativa - All New, to be launched in 2015. May come to U.S. if there is consumer interest.

Delica crossover minivan - All New, to be launched in 2015 or 2016. Currently unknown if even intended for markets other than Japan. Current generation was under study for U.S. launch but rising Yen killed the plan.

Also for 2016 (as a 2017 model)

Lancer - Unconfirmed, may simply be a rebadge of next gen Renault Samsung SM3, or may be a co-developed C-segment model with Renault-Nissan based on the Franco-Japanese firms modular platform

http://www.caradvice.com.au/280886/mitsubishi-lancers-future-remains-unclear/

Nice find, psychogun, I've been looking for new material, even on Mitsubishi's worldwide website, about what they're going to do with the Lancer, and haven't found too much.

All we know from the article link from your post above is that they're talking with Renault about it but are more focused on the midsize sedan first, for now anyway. After getting a new Galant design they'll start focusing on what kind of platform and design they'll build the new world order Mitsubishi Lancer on. And what it would look like.

So I bet we're looking at something like 2016 before we get a new Lancer design. I know Mitsubishi builds a good SUV but I love the Lancer too much to go SUV, I'm thinking.

New Montero sounds very interesting. Wife still wants to keep the '07 Outlander, but my daughter needs a car, used Lancer or Galant are on the list.

Thanks, psychogun. I look forward to the return of a Galant sedan but am not sure if the Montero, pickup, and minivan make sense in the current US market. I honestly believe that doing a rebadge for the Galant is a good solution given Mitsu's size & the R&D costs for developing something new ground-up. It just needs to be a rebadge of a good car; if it's barely passable it can do more harm than good to their reputation.

I'm still happy with my '10 Outlander GT but will give strong consideration to the PHEV Outlander when it debuts. I probably don't drive enough miles to justify it from a cost perspective (only 35K miles after 4.5 years) but few hybrids recoup their increased upfront costs anyway.

I do wonder if Mitsu will drop the V6 from their lineup as so many others have done. They have a well-respected history with turbos so a turbo 4 would be a fine replacement. The 3L V6 is a good engine but it still recommends premium fuel and torque at low RPMs could be improved. Now, with that said, if you look at the carmakers who have replaced their V6s with turbo 4s, fuel economy has not really improved (at least in current iterations).

Navigation updates are free for owners of 2014 & newer Mitsus. Those of us with pre-'14 vehicles w/Navi are hit with a $199 charge (not too different from other automakers from what I've heard).

The latest update is from 2013. As my system hadn't seen any updates since I bought it in Dec '09 I decided to get the upgrade. I figure I can stomach the cost once every few years.

I should have it in a few days and get in installed perhaps next week. I'll report back if the software was upgraded along with the maps & POI database.

I've got over 100 CDs ripped to the hard drive but I presume space for Navi updates is reserved.

Nav update is in place. Went from software version H / map version 2008-A / CDDB (Gracenote) 1626-2963 to software v. N / map 2013-A / CDDB 1626-4525. It was nice of them to include the CDDB update (though they are available free from Mitsu's owner's site).

Map detail is better. Haven't really noticed any different yet in nav software functionality or performance.

Address book, nav preferences, etc. were preserved.

The upgrade is painless and like the CD rip capability it will pause/resume if you shut the car off while it's updating. Which is good as the nav update took about 90 minutes. CDDB took another 20+.

Included directions are sufficient.

In other news I picked up a 2-bike trailer hitch rack for $36 at Harbor Freight. $45 - their usual 20% coupon. Perhaps not as nice as the $150-200 racks but perfectly usable and still offers a tilt-down to allow the hatch to open.

2014 MODs (Mitsubishi Owners Day) have been announced.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/events

July 12 - West Coast (California)
    Sept. 20 - Factory (Illinois)
    Oct. 11 - East Coast (New Jersey)

"The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution will be discontinued in the U.S. after the 2015 model year, the automaker told Edmunds.

"I can confirm that 2015 will be the last year for Evo," wrote Alex Fedorak, a Mitsubishi Motors North America spokesman, in response to an Edmunds query."

2015 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Marks End of an Era

Factory MOD (Mitsubishi Owner's Day) is tomorrow in Bloomington-Normal Illinois. Featured will be the electric car they use for the Pikes Peak challenge and the PHEV Outlander.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/events.
    edited September 2014
    Mitsubishi press release regarding the Outlander PHEV Concept-S:
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/publish/pressrelease_en/motorshow/2014/news/detail0943.html

Presumably this is what the entire Outlander range will look like for the 2016 model year.
    I like the front better than the current Outlander.
    No visible tailpipe is fine but I also don't see a charge port.

I think I could grow to like the interior easily. Has an upscale look to it; I hope the materials match that.

Exterior styling looks good. The slight downward slope of the roofline makes me wonder on overall cargo capacity.
    "Just two years ago, once-proud Mitsubishi essentially was begging Americans to believe the car company wasn't on the verge of decamping from the USA.

"Mitsubishi's recent success can be attributed to the sales of the Outlander and Outlander Sport, which are capitalizing on the fact that small SUVs are the hottest segment in the market right now," says Jessica Caldwell, senior analyst for car-shopping website Edmunds.com.

Compact SUVs were the most-researched category on Edmunds.com in January."

Mitsubishi goes from near-death to vibrancy (ISA Today)
    Nothing really new to those that follow the brand but it's nice to see a press article with a positive spin for a change. Folks have been predicting Mitsu's departure from the US market for well over a decade; it hasn't happened yet and as long as they can keep improving what they've got and address the gaps (midsize sedan) they'll remain a (small but) contender in the market.

I like my Outlander and would easily buy another if I were in the market today. But my hopes are for a PHEV Outlander or, now, Montero. When I'm in the market again, which probably won't be for a while, I'll see what they're offering and how well it stacks up against the competition.
    http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/mitsubishi-motors-concept-gc-phev-makes-north-american-debut-at-the-2015-chicago-auto-show

GC-PHEV is supposedly going to be the Montero if it, or a variant, come to market.

The styling is still concept but as it stands is pretty edgy. Not quite sure if I like it or not. Interior would probably not survive the transition to production but I really like the ceiling shot (last of the pics).

Wife & I are still trying to make it work to see the Chicago Auto Show which starts this weekend but schedules are busy. The GC-PHEV will be there for anyone in the area.
    Looks like a fun show this gear, going by the press days coverage on Twitter.

We're going to the Chicago show on Thursday. Not sure if we're taking the Amtrak down from Racine or driving the Outlander.
    Good idea to go on a weeknight. The new just reported that this weekend's attendance was up over 20% so it was likely jam packed.

Thursday will be pretty cold; forecast high is around 6 degrees. So not the greatest weather to be waiting on a train and shuttle bus. So I'd vote for driving in. Not sure which way winds up being cheaper.
    About $90 for my wife and I to take the Amtrak down. Plus transportation from Union Station and back. We definitely will be driving.
    At the NY Auto Show Mitsu announced two vehicles (http://media.mitsubishicars.com/):
    1. A Mirage sedan. Not my thing so I didn't read about it.
    2. The PHEV Outlander that I've been wanting them to release for the past couple of years.

Details are slim but the Outlander will supposedly come this fall as a 2017 model. Powered by a battery + a 2L ICE. No specs announced other than it will have a PHEV version of S-AWC standard and feature a plethora of gadgets. While I'm not surprised no pricing info was revealed I was hoping to have some preliminary data on fuel economy / battery range.

I had checked out the regular 2016 Outlander at the Chicago Auto Show and found it to be a worthwhile upgrade to my '10 GT. I hope the PHEV is priced such that it makes a compelling case to get it.

Currently I've been thinking of moving upmarket (Infiniti QX60 for instance) but the QX only bumps economy by 2 MPG over my GT and there are complaint that people aren't even getting that. Infiniti's material quality is definitely better than Mitsu's but of course there's a price to pay for that (like about $20K more for a well-equipped model). I was looking to buy in June or so but will now defer until Fall to see if the PHEV makes economic & ecologic sense.
    edited March 2016
    fushigi, hello, long time no talk to! Our '08 Lancer GTS engine blew up (seized timing chain - then broken serpentine belt - no repair possible that's financially within reason) and we traded the hulk of the car in on a '11 Kia Soul 5-speed stick. This trade-in happened on 07/02/14.

It is a great car but I do miss our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. Such a beautiful rig! Sort of interested in the 2017 Mitsubishi G4 sedan in 5-speed form, but I'm not sure a 1.2L 3-cyl. engine would work for us for power. The gas savings would work just fine, however. I'll look forward to your new posts out ahead on this thread...need to stay up-to-date with Mitsubishi and the rest of all you Mitsubishi fans on Edmund's (all what...4 of us!!).

Wow, iluv, surprised to hear that. I thought newer Mitsubishi drive trains were pretty trouble free. Our Outlander is still plugging along at about 95k, our daughter is using it to commute to college, Only repair has been tie rod ends. Fushigi, my wife was ready for something a little more luxurious also, we picked up a cpo 2013 Lincoln MKX, she loves it.
    iluv - I assume you were outside of warranty when it blew. That's a tough break. I agree about being concerned about the 1.2's power. Perhaps I'll keep an eye on it to see how it does in the reviews & testing.

fumes - A CPO would be possible to avoid the first 12-24 months of semi-luxury depreciation. The Infiniti dealer also has a few 2015s still on the lot & they've knocked about 10% off the MSRP to try & move them. Not much diff between the 2015 & 16 so that would be another way to save a few grand (well equipped a new QX60 will run in the mid-$50K zone).

I haven't done any major repairs to my '10 Outlander GT. I put tires on it Nov 14 but otherwise just do the basic mandated maintenance. It'll roll 52K before long. Yeah, I drive less than the average # of miles, enough so that when estimating the value of my GT as a trade I get about $1200 bonus for low miles.

I turn 50 this year so I guess my next vehicle will be my mid-life spoil myself car. Tempered by logic & practicality so no Corvette or last-year EVO for me. So we focused on premium CUVs at the auto show & I was able to create a very short list of contenders. Thought I'd like the MDX but could not get comfortable. Tried the Caddy but banged my head getting in - that thing is tight - and I'm of average height. Can't bring myself to do a Lexus (and see far too many already). The Enclave was pleasant but didn't really stand out for anything. The QX60 seemed like a natural fit. Comfortable and way more luxury than I'm used to. Only concerns are a lack of Android Auto and the power seems a little light for the weight.

No PHEV Outlander at the Chicago show so while I like the '16 Outlander I was ready for a change. And now this. My daily commute is about 14 miles round trip tot he train station; a PHEV should do that while using zero gas. Mighty tempting.
    edited March 2016
    Good point about getting the Outlander PHEV, fushigi. No ghastly used is very tempting.

Yeah, regarding the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and the broken belt - Mitsubishi knew about it and was "preparing" a recall of the belt. It was made of an "inferior material" of some sort and gave up the ghost early. We called Mitsubishi America Customer Support and they said but you should have called us while you were having the issue! You didn't and you traded in for a competitor's car, so, we won't help you. We weren't very happy but I still respect the Mitsubishi build team and don't need a car now, just love to always look around at different cars.

toomanyfumes - congratulations on the "new ta you" '13 Lincoln MKX. Bet it's nice and quiet. Enjoy!

That reminds me, I'm gonna need to get the timing belt done on the Outlander, I think Mitsubishi recommends 105k, won't be too long and I'll be there. Fushigi I turned 50 last year, and treated myself to a new motorcycle. I bought the Mustang new in 2012, I really like it but I wouldn't get another one. I miss having 4 doors and a decent trunk. Depreciation would kill me now if I traded it, so I'm keeping it a while.
    Does your Stang have a V8, toomanyfumes?

It has the 3.7 V6. 305 horsepower, with the 6-speed manual is plenty for me. And I get over 23 mpg in mostly suburban driving.