Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,274
    Thanks for that link Steve. Great info.

That article mentions a "minor" refresh for the Eclipse for 09'. Any info on what that will be? I know with the last generation, the mid cycle refresh was only to change the tail lights from red to clear.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• There will be a Ralliart Eclipse added to the line-up.

I don't know any of the performance / appearance / availability details yet, or if it will be offered in both the GS and GT trims .

The tail lights will go back to being red.

OK... That last sentence there was just kiddin'- but I'm pretty dang sure about the first sentence.
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    So how long before Mitsubishi dumps the Raider? They are offering $4500 in rebates this month, and they aren't selling many.

Seems to me Mitsubishi should focus on cars and SUVs, and stay out of the truck market (which is a tough market to enter, and become a real player in).
  • I think that the current Raider will bite the dust next year, with 2008 being the final model year. That Dakota, upon which it is based, is old and should be getting an overhaul for 2009. Just my thoughts though, I have no evidence to support this.

Mitsu actually builds a pickup called the Triton and sells it in other markets. I guess they can't make a business case to sell it here in the States. I agree with you, Mitsu should concentrate on the car and SUV market for now.
  • Mitsubishi Japan never really wanted the Dakota Raider in the first place. When Finbarr O'Neall became CEO after the disaster of Pierre Gagnon he wanted to suck up to Daimler - probably figuring he could wiggle his way into one of the top slots at DCX - He is pretty much 100% responsible for the Raider concept. Heck, maybe he thought it would work. Imagine his surprise when DCX dumped Mitsubishi!!! (He's running an auto parts warehouse now, or something, isn't he?) Anyway, the most common agreement on these re-badge deals are 5 years. So...all thing being equal, 3 down, 2 to go.

It's not that bad of a truck - better looking than the stock Dakota anyway - Just the wrong time to peddle a pickup truck to people who don't really need one that much.

Maybe Mitsubishi can get out of the deal by throwing a bone to the 3 headed dog from hell, since I'm sure they're hungry right now. Might be a nice change of pace talking business with people who aren't interested in stabbing you in the back after picking your pocket.

I'm not sure about the economics of bringing the Mitsubishi Triton to North America either but I have seen pictures of the truck and read a lot about it also. There was an article in the Canadian auto press not long ago by some guy who had been test driving one up there somewhere and he was quite impressed. It's a top seller in Asia and Europe but like you guys say, tough market here.
    I guess the main advantage to the Raider is the 60K bumper to bumper warranty. You can also take advantage of the $4500 in rebates (on top of a below invoice deal to begin with - I'm sure), but you have to be willing to accept that the truck is a bit of an "odd duck", and will be worth next to nothing if you try to re sell in 5 years.
    "...60K bumper to bumper warranty..."

Is that better than the new warranty Chrysler just came out with? Would Dakota have the advantage?

• zq8zq8 Posts: 82
    The new DCX warranty is still only 3/36 for bumper to bumper and 4ever on powertrain.
    60K vs 36K on basically the same truck and Dakota outsells Raider 14 to 1? People are dumb sometimes.

• zq8zq8 Posts: 82
    Yeah, dumb.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    How many more Dodge dealers are there than Mitsubishi dealers, though, especially in rural areas.

Also, no marketing. I didn't realize Mitsu sold a Dakota knockoff until I saw one on the lot after I bought my Outlander.
    "...Also no marketing..."

Boy, ain't that the truth. I know that Mitsu has to watch the pennies given their shaky finances and all but common guys, put a few ads on TV.

Chrysler did a good PR series a while back. They called it "Inspired Drives". They would come to your city, rent a big empty parking lot and let you drive all their cars. You could drive an autocross course, race down a drag strip or take a wild ride with a stunt driver. It was a blast seeing a big 300 up on two wheels screeching and burning rubber. I started saving up to buy a Crossfire that day.

Why can't Mitsu do something like that?

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    did you ever buy a Crossfire?

Mitsubishi has put some '08 Lancer ads on...the one where the two guys in the Lancer go around the freeway cloverleaf another time just for prosperity. And it's in a CVT Lancer GTS in Rally Red, too!

Whoo-hoo! Lovin' mine!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

"...did you ever buy a Crossfire?..."

Nah, by the time I had enough money to even put a down payment on one they put production on hiatus. I doubt they will resume with the break up. It was basically an MB SLK under the skin. Problem was it was underpowered by today's standards.

However, all that savings has given me enough to buy an Eclipse, so it's all good.

I've seen that Lancer commercial. It's funny. I really like that Rally Red color. That's why I was fussing about this new Rave red on the Eclipse a few posts ago. I was hoping it would be close to the color on your Lancer.

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    The Outlander ads they had earlier this year were cool, too. That's what got me to look at them.

GM had a test track deal in Las Vegas last year where you could drive Vettes, Hummers, Saabs, Caddys, etc.

The Vette was a lot of fun. They had an off_road course for the Hummers. I tried a H3. Great off-road capabilites, but a total dog in acceleration.
    commerical with the skateboarders a lot and I like it. I think it does draw the audience in to take a look at the new Outlander.

oldfarmer...so, refresh us on the Rave Red color on the Eclipse. Is it going to do the trick, or nay?

"...refresh us on Rave red..."

If it look like the Lancer's Rally red I would say so. Of course Mrs. farmer likes the Sunset Pearlesent so who knows...

I thought you mentioned that you had seen a picture of this Rave Red and that you liked it well enough.

I do like Mrs. Farmer's color choice as well. One of the cool things about the new Eclipse concept car a few years ago that I noticed and liked a bunch. :)

No, that was some one else who posted that. I still have to see car colors in person. I don't trust the color reproduction on this old monitor of mine. ( By the way, does any one else have a monitor that starts up with a hand crank on the side?) ;)

• Hey, at least you can blame the monitor. It's still tough for me really see the color of a car when using a computer. I need it to be physically present so that I can see how the contours of the vehicle play with the light. Old age, I guess.

Like Mrs. Farmer and "iluvmy...", I really like that burnt orange on the Eclipse. Not so much on the Galant though.
    I just saw on Edmunds Inside Line that they are coming out with a Lancer Raliart for 2009. All wheel drive, 230hp. Very tempting... :shades:

• Wonder if it's gonna be a manual only? I would think that Mitsu will offer an automatic transmission in order to widen market appeal. The Lancer certainly looks better than the Impreza, IMO. I've tried to like the look of the Subie, but it just doesn't work for me.
    have ever liked have been the micro-car Justy and their Legacy Turbo sedan, their larger size sedan of late. A little over a year ago a workmate tried to sell me her Legacy Turbo sedan. She was trying to sell it and I had mentioned that it was a nice looking rig. Guess what she wanted for it?

$32,000! I think she had 49,000 miles on it, a 2005 model, automatic transmission. Umm...two points here, girl.

1) I like smaller cars for actual purchase
    2) That car is overpriced!

It was done in a nice shade of blue, a dark blue. I'm sure it would be a nice car but it's just too much car for too high a price and I love smaller cars.

Yeah, the new Mitsubishi Lancer Raliart for 2009 is going to be popular with AWD and 230hp. For those that have heard that the new '08 Lancer's 152hp and 146 ft-lb torque to the wheels is kind of on the low side this new Raliart Lancer will appeal to them. Very cool times for Mitsubishi now and they made it too easy for me to buy this '08 Lancer GTS. It looks awesome but it's also engineered very, very tight and competently. Remember that racing heritage they have going for them.

Yesterday I saw a commercial that I think I've only seen one other time about the Mitsubishi Eclipse. It has a young couple speeding along in their Sunburst Orange Eclipse. They stop and press towards each other very provocatively...then she squeezes past him in to the driver's seat to drive. The idea being that it would be more exciting for her to drive the new Eclipse than to smooch with her honey. I know...but the shots of the Eclipse are very cool.

"...more exciting for her to drive..."

If I had that choice; make out with a beautiful girl or drive a car, I'd park that sucker real fast.

I wonder if the point they are trying to make is that the Eclipse is a "chick" car? All the gearheads are saying that. Maybe the Eclipse in the commercial was a GS not a GT. The GT of course is a "man's" car driven only by pro football players and pirates.

I guess next time I go car shopping I'll have to bring along my testosterone meter. ;)

that reaches out to either sex, though. I'm just going by that overall racing coupe look it has. I mean, yes, the Mazda Miata has been referred to as a chick-mobile as has the new world order VW Beetle. Those designations are not that far off. But the Eclipse has a testosterone-ish drive to it those two don't have. I don't think Mitsu was trying to convey that the Eclipse is a chick car but just that it's a car that is so fun to drive that one might just be tempted to pass on a pastime that is truly thrilling...like making out with a beatiful girl.

Or, since he was driving, the idea is from the girl's perpective. That might make it look like Mitsubishi is trying to say the Eclipse is a chick's car as well as a man's car. At the end the viewer is intent on wanting to find out what the appeal is all about.

OK, enough mind-reading. Let's drive! ;)

Edmunds Inside Line has a story about how Mitsu may replace the Lancer with a car called Galant-Fortis. I think someone here mentioned that name about a month ago. Any thoughts on this? I thought Lancer was doing well in it's present form.

BTW, in the last line of the article the author just had to get a dig in by saying "A lancer by any other name is still boring". They just can't quit can they?

• "They just can't quit can they"
    Yep. I was surprised by Edmunds. They've been pretty fair across the board, but that comment seemed way out of line. I guess the author forgot that no Mitsu means no Evolution.
  • stevecebustevecebu Posts: 493
    Yep. I was surprised by Edmunds. They've been pretty fair across the board, but that comment seemed way out of line. I guess the author forgot that no Mitsu means no Evolution.

Are you sure they aren't talking about a platform change?
    The EVO is hardly the same platform from way back when it started. I believe the new Galant will be the new Platform for the EVO. They will of course call it a Lancer but it's underpinning will be from a Galant. If this is the case it's no big deal since Mitsu has been doing this for quite a few models now.
    "I believe the new Galant will be the new Platform for the EVO."

I don't think so, and here's why. It was stated that the platform for the new, '08 Lancer has 18% more rigidity than the platform of the EVO IX (the previous generation Lancer EVO). I have to believe that in order to cut some costs, Mitsubishi went ahead and designed a platform for the new Lancer that would be suitable to build the EVO X on. This way, when they get ready to build the EVO X, they don't have to engineer a new platform - they can use the one they are already using on the '08 Lancer, and use a lot of the same manufacturing lines and workers to build both regular, and EVO models.

Plus, them having already built a stronger platform for the regular Lancers will also help add value to them as well. The "tuner crowd", that may not be able to afford an EVO, may see that the regular Lancer has a platform that they can build upon (that will sustain a lot of suspension and power modifications), and opt to buy one of these versus a Civic. Disclaimer: I have not seen any data as to how much more rigid the '08 Lancer's platform may or may not be then that of the Civic.

Regarding the name change - I don't see it. The '08 Lancer is getting a bit of praise in the media for its good looks. Plus, I think the Lancer has made a bit of a name for itself here in the states - if for no other reason, just being due to the EVO. The Galant isn't exactly a smashing success, so I don't see where Mitsubishi calling the Lancer, the Galant Fortis would do them any good here in the US. Just my opinion, but we'll see. Besides, one thing that makes no sense about that Inside Line article is that it starts out as follows:

"TOKYO — Mitsubishi Motors has introduced the oddly named Galant Fortis sedan in the home market. Americans will see the same car shortly as a replacement for the Lancer compact."

What do they mean by 'Americans will see the same car shortly"? America already got this SAME car in April of this year, and it's been on sale since then, and is called the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer. It's almost like this article is 6 months late. Go to www.mitsubishicars.com, and look at the '08 Lancer, and see for yourselves - it's the same car as in the pictures of the Inside Line article.
    why mess with success? There's no change in sight for the current Lancer and the EVO to be built upon the same platform. Silliness was speaking. From somewhere, anyway.

Let me look around for some more data on this on the net.