Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• dave82dave82 Member Posts: 43
    Mitsubishi can't claim that they're starting to turn things around while they're still losing hundreds of millions of dollars every year. They're surviving only because the other Mitsubishi companies gave them a $10 billion cash infusion.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Yeah, but they at least they are starting a turn around..... ;)

Rocky
  • boscolauboscolau Member Posts: 13
    Quote: Has Mitsu really changed the way of making cars? I don;t think so either.

Don't be so sure. Silenet Shaft, an implementation of balance shaft Mitsu had done in 1975, had been licensed to Fiat, Saab, and Porche.

Maybe it's a little thing. If it wasn't a good idea, tell the group why other manaufacturers wanted to technology.
    Tags: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

http://www.autospies.com/news/Spies-give-you-an-early-preview-of-the-next-Mitsub- ishi-EVO-12186/

A must read & see for iluv !!! ;)

Rocky
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    that site has some good views of the new '08 Lancer. Good informative article, too.

It looks like I would go for the middle model, the ES, that has power w's, l's and m's and air conditioning and the 16" wheels. The 160 watt Pioneer would be good for sound and I would want the 5-speed model.

Your link listed a base DE '08 Lancer for only $14,000, so I wonder if the ES would run around $15,000 for the 5-speed stick. Pretty reasonable. Sounds like the "middle" grade model also has an armrest on the console.

The dash lighting system looks great. I have now placed the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 5-speed in Boysenberry Blue at the very top of my futures list. At $15,000-$15,500 I would definitely pop for one of these. They hit the styling right smack on top of the nailhead on this Lancer. Nice to see! ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Yeah, I figured you'd like it ! ;)

Rocky
    wrong with one of those '08 Lancers. They are sharp. I think that Mitsubishi has a solid engineering team and I would trust the build on the car. Even though it's a first year model how many years has Mitsu been making the Lancer? Lots of 'em! They'll build 'em to last.

What's cool is that they're not pricing them outta sight. I'm definitely interested! How's the Warranty on these cars? Isn't it 10 years, 70,000 miles or something like that?

• harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    is same as Hyundai/Kia's. The guy that ran Hyundai/Kia, and started this whole 10/100K deal in 1999, he ran Mitsubishi for a short period of time, and got them to go along with a Hyundai-Like Warranty, which they still have today.
    http://www.ae-plus.com/OEM%20News/News-103.htm
    Finbarr O'Neill was the guy.
    This is an extremely nit-picky thing, but I wonder why you can Not order(as an option) the leather wrapped steering wheel/shifter for the Mid-Level Lancer? I guess I could get a "Wal-Mart" 10 dollar "leather" wrap for the steering wheel, if it bothered me sooo much.
    Maybe they did not mention it in the article above, or I just happen missed it?
    take care/not offense.
    I was wondering if I could order a spoiler on the ES "middle" Lancer model. I bet ya dollars to glazed Winchell's Apple Fritters that we could order a spoiler on an ES or not get a wrapped steering wheel if we don't want one.

However, I have been wrong before so let's take this on and find out the answer before we go in to deal. I am even more excited about these Lancer's than I am about the 2007 Suzuki SX4's. This is the car I have been waiting for and it doesn't look like it's gonna be over-priced, either.

the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer.

Look closely at the numbers in the middle. It looks like a temp.gauge(outside temp.gauge) and a running computation miles-per-gallon-onamer there. Very nice. The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES comes with front disc brakes and rear drum brakes and ABS with Electronic Brake Force Distribution for added safety.

Estimates are for the DL(low end Lancer) model pricing at around $14,000. Like to see what they're pricing the ES at. I want one! :)

a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES model, the one in the middle of the features-grouping, here's a picture of a Lancer ES for you.

Note the 5-spoke aluminum alloy wheels on the new 4-door sedan. Looks good to me. The ES model also comes standard with a good armrest in the middle console for driver and passenger. Looks like everything I would want is on the ES model, including power everything, cruise control, 160 watt stereo, ABS, front discs, EBD and air conditioning. The 5-speed manual transmission is standard on the '08 Lanccer, so that fits like a glove right outta the box.

I was waiting for Kia to come out with a small sporty car like this but I didn't see one that fit me quite right, or I would stick to my favorite Kia. The 2007 Kia Optima is now #2 on my futures list for our next new car.

The '01 Sportage 4x4 is just about paid off so let's let the battle...I...I mean negotiations begin. :blush:

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    Mitsu has a habit of bundling all its' options into "packages" making it tough to pick out the ones you want. For example, I found out that I'm too tall to fit in an Eclipse with a sunroof, but you can't get any other options if you don't take the "package". I know some dealers will install things like leather or wheels for you but I'd bet you would pay an arm & leg for them.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer is to just order the GTS version, the one that has the 650 watt Rockford Fosgate stereo CD/MP3 player with the subwoofer in the trunk, remote entry/start, 4-wheel disc brakes w/ABS and EBD, bluetooth, 7" Nav screen, rear spoiler(it's the look with this rear spoiler that has drawn me into wanting the top line Lancer)and the leather-wrapped steering wheel.

This one is said to cost $18,000-$19,000 but trading the Sportage in and getting the best trade in on the small S.Korean SUV as a down payment will help defray those costs.

Once I saw I couldn't order a DL or GS Lancer with the rear spoiler and bodykit(which makes the '08 Lancer come alive and look great)I realized I just had to have the GTS model. I will get one with the 5-speed manual tranny, so no added cost there. The 5-speed is Mitsubishi's standard equipment transmission on the '08 Lancer.

Which color do I want? Top choice now is the silver. The Seattle Sonic wheels look awesome with the silver Lancer.

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I like what I see in the new Lancer. I've liked the look of the Outlander for some time. And I'm another one of those folks that had a Mitsu engine in a Chrysler (98 Sebring convertible).

You can hear there's a "but" coming right? I'm here at the Jersey shore in a county with half a million people in it and not one Mitsubishi dealer. There had been one paired with the Toyota dealership but they converted it to a Scion dealership. Then one of the megadealers picked up Mitsu and dropped them. Really dropped them - they left the building empty a couple of years ago. It's still empty with the same group's Dodge dealership sitting right next to it.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    me: one in Sierra Vista, AZ, which is about 90 miles SW. There is another one in Tucson, AZ, which is about 80 miles west of us.

I like the fact that there's a great Warranty with these Mitsubishi's. Similar to Hyundai/Kia's Long-Haul Warranty Mitsubishi also offers a 10 year, 100,000 mile Warranty.

I'm going for the 2008 Mistsubishi Lancer GTS in 5-speed form in Apex Silver color. I will pass on the package that offers the 650 watt Rockford Fosgate stereo system unless it is packaged in a way that doesn't add a lot to the purchase price. There is already a 140 watt stereo that comes standard and the Rockford Fosgate plus the other things offered with it don't mean enough to me for what would probably need to be paid. I say this because pricing is not out yet and all of this is conjecture at this point.

iluv, I don't want to get off topic but have you looked at the new Saturn Astra, yet ?

I wouldn't get a head of myself quite yet because the new Astra, looks pretty darn sweet also and will be priced in Lancer territory. ;)

I think it's like #1 or #2 in Europe in sales ;)

Rocky
    yes, I have and it does look pretty good.

I've started to really enjoy some of the Lancer's design features, though, including the taillights and decklid. I think Mitsu body designers did a great job with it.

That nose in the front really protrudes, doesn't it? Looking straight on at the small sedan from the front also looks great. I am heading towards getting one of these and I've been in touch with the salesman by e-mail.

He says he drives a Misubishi Montero SUV and loves it. I'll keep y'all posted.

Hey, rockylee, let me know where ZZ Top is going to play next. I'm only 225 miles from El Paso. Once I have the Lancer '08 I'll take the Mrs. over to Texas for a ZZ Top concert. I remember one in 1975 at the Seattle Center Coliseum that blew me away! :D

iluv,

Sorry I can't help with the ZZ Top thing as I'm not much of a fan, nor do I listen to their music much unless I hear a song of theirs on the radio by older co-workers listening to classic rock. ;)

Rocky

P.S. the Lancer is a pretty nice car. I however like the Saturn Astra a tad better now. I still really like the new EVO-X though.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=46886

Says (guessing, I hope it is only guessing), 19-21K! 19K for 5 door, 21K for top loaded 3 door. Seems steep!
    Read elsewhere about 16,500-19K(guesses, also)... hope this is the real prices, and not 19-21K.

Lancer,read elsewhere, a few dollars under 15K to start, 17K and 19K for top model.
    Only thing "wrong" here is no hatch.
    Read elsewhere( I read autoblog, this site,leftlanenews,thecarconnection,detnews,jalopnik,wardsauto, thehollywoodextra.blogspot,NCTD,auto123,you name it.. all info I post, i usually have gathered from these, and other sites, it is hard to recall exactly where I read it).... that there may be a hatch next year for the Lancer( hopes it's 3 doors, and hope this "rumor" is true!).
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=119129
    Karl(from Edmunds) says 15-21K...Hmmmmm.
    Guess we'll know in about 4-6 weeks, once these Lancers hit the lots. Hoping to see one in March, at the autoshow( end of March is "launch date", I read, and Local autoshow is prior to when the cars hit the dealerships).
    Have to wait until Fall for Astra prices, etc...since that is the lauch time frame.

Anyhow, compacts/smaller cars, definitely getting better, more interesting than in a long time!

take care/not offense.
    I noticed some articles that were posted on the Astra thread recently, and seems Car and Driver said starting around 16K. Not bad. Sure beats the rumored 19K Edmunds is saying.

Lancer is sharp, too. I will test drive both of these cars, this year.
    I have a few years until a purchase, and I like hatchbacks, a lot, but if Lancer can bring that rumored 3 door hatch out, it will be a tough choice between the 3 door Astra and a 3 door Lancer.
    Hmmmm.
    Good to see more sporty compacts/small cars these days!
    take care/not offense.
    would release pricing on the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer. I mean, the new Lancer is coming to dealer lots around mid-March and if my calendar is correct it's February 10th. Are they chewing their nails off worrying that they don't have the right price on the '08 Lancer?

Here's how it looks for prices right now. The base Lancer, the DE, will cost $14,000. The GS, the middle model with 16" tires and alloys, will cost around $16,000. The top of the line '08 Lancer will run you about $19,000. The top of the line Lancer for 2008 is the one I have decided I will buy because I love the new sedan with the valance and side runners and spoiler out back. The Apex Silver or Electric Blue or Rally Red are my top choices now. If I had to choose one I'd go with the Apex Silver. It's how the wheels play off the body color and vice-versa that gets me.

Back to pricing...it looks like $14-$16-$19 right now for '08 Lancers, but these are still only estimates because Mitsubishi Motors US hasn't officially released pricing yet. If they're too high I'll just keep the '01 Sportage 4x4 and run it till it's wheels chunk off. It's paid off in June..about three more payments. If I don't see '08 Lancer pricing within about a week we're just gonna hold onto the Sportage 4x4. Need the info. My wife wants to hold our cards anyway so she wouldn't mind! :D

Oh these cool new cars and their appeal. ;)

Mitsubishi Lancer check out this link. It includes a slide presentation with tons of cool '08 Lancer pictures plus a presentation on the great selling aspects of this new car from the Mitsubishi Lancer Product Manager. It's very informative and it appears that Mitsubishi has put a lot of thought and planning into this new '08 Lancer. It is meant to invoke interest in the upcoming EVO but there's enough pierce in this GTS Lancer to keep me dodging for quite some time. :P

Here ya go---

http://www.autospies.com/news/Spies-give-you-an-early-preview-of-the-next-Mitsub- - ishi-EVO-12186/

With your good job iluv, why don't you buy a little more upscale car like the upcoming Pontiac G8 ???? How bout a Saturn VUE Greenline for your family ???? You can get one for not much over $20K. The new Aura Greenline hybrid looks good and so does the new Malibu.

The new Lancer will no doubt be a decent car but from what I remember you have a family. I like the EVO, but I won't get one because they are just so small. I started looking at the pics and was like it's just to small. My buy american heart won't let me buy one either. I always thought the Lancer was made in California, and it had a lot of domestic parts in it. I found out quite the opposite. :sick:

I guess all I can say is good luck if you are in love with it.

Rocky
    hey, I've got to convince my wife we no longer need the '01 Sportage 4x4, and she loves the Sportage 4x4. So this will not be an easy sell, especially since we only owe around another $1,000 on the Sportage.

I'd like to trade in though, so we're covered by that generous Warranty, that's a replica of Kia/Hyundai's. The Sportage is a great little runner, however, it is out of Warranty and I don't want to have to pay for an OBD sensor or anything electronic. Nothing electronic has failed yet, but they are expensive when they go and buying a Lancer will lower our monthly payments a titch. We're already used to making a monthly car payment so there you go. We would probably be fine for a while but if I see what I want and the price is right I want to trade in in the next coupla months.

No, I don't want any other rig except maybe a 2007 Suzuki SX4. That SX4 may be a tad small for us.

From what I can tell the '08 Lancer would be a good fit for us space-wise. The dogs would have plenty of windows to lick and look out of. As long as we take them with us when we go they're happy.

We found out that Roper Lake(about 35 miles NE of us here in Willcox, AZ) has cabins to rent that only cost $35 a night. Fishing is good and there are trails to walk on all over and even a natural hot spring to take a dip in. Very cool. Our Pomeranian that looks like a small Husky found a dog there to pick a fight with so there were some uncomfortable moments to get through while the other dog's owner pulled his dog back. :surprise:

No, we'll see how the car purchasing goes. I am really studying up on the Lancer and it looks like a good buy and a good car with a great Warranty. Plus that '08 GTS Lancer has me pulled in on the hook with it's aesthetically pleasing lines and bold, aggressive look.

The Apex Silver gives the '08 Lancer a bold, forged look that has that racecar look to it.

I am starting to favor the Rally Red, however, because the deep cherry-ness and shiny-ness of it looks great.

rock...are you gonna be buying another rig soon?

I like both the blue and red Lancer colors. I will have to sit in one in person to see how big they are. I do like the EVO-X a lot but it would almost be like a sin for me to buy a japanese car. I'd feel like a hypocrite. I however will probably take one for a test drive for fun. ;)

rock...are you gonna be buying another rig soon?

I don't have a car payment right now so I'm not sure when and if I will pull the trigger. I have a 98' Buick Century and a 96' 3/4 ton Ram. I want to sell the Ram, since it's caused me so many problems and we don't have a good dodge dealer for service. :mad: I should buy another car but I don't want to buy something I'm not going to love for at least 3 years. I right now like the 07' GMC Sierra Denali coming out next month, 08' CTS, and probably 600 hp.
    09' CTS-V. ;)

I will have to see the EVO-X in person but I'm afraid if I drove it I'd buy one. Best for me to not taste the poison, otherwise I might want more. ;)

Rocky
    steal people's hearts. I'm falling head over heels for the regular Lancer, but the "regular" Lancer is loaded to the...umm...gills with good stuff. You can get pert-near every latest thing in the cabin to enjoy, including a 650 watt Rockford Fosgate stereo(I think that by adding the Fosgate and Sunroof you would be adding another $1500 or $1700 to the price, though). My wife was digging our friend's sunroof the other day so, who knows, maybe I can talk some sense...ummm...I mean :) gently persuade her into getting the '08 Lancer Sun and Sound Package for a measly $1,750 more. Gonna have to put on my best salesman's cap for this one, gentlemen.

Don't take my prices seriously because Mitsubishi hasn't released prices yet. They're gonna be somewhat close though.

I know you're a GM-DCX kinda guy rock but you would dig an EVO-X. Those are gonna be great cars. Mitsubishi keeps winning the Dakar Rally's, in fact, they have won 6 of them in a row. Trucks yes, but they do communicate between departments, yes. That's what's cool about Kia or Suzuki or Mitsubishi, they're not too big for their britches and they want our beeswax big time right now. They eagerly want to be your car company. And what's wrong with that? This should keep Mitsu pricing down and help push new-build quality up.

Ci?

iluv,

I think you would not only be insane but in the end be disappointed not getting the Sunroof and 650 Watt Rockford Fosgate system.

My buddy Brad, had a 93' Ford Probe with a Fosgate system. In the hatch was 4-12 inch subs in glass with neon lighting which was SWEEEET !!!! He had a amp that was the size of a piano keyboard. He had Rockford Fosgate mids 2-6 1/2's in the rear seats 2-tweeters in the front A pillars
    and 2- 4 1/2's in the doors. I think a total of 10 speakers and that car would hit so hard that it would honestly make your heart skip beats and sometimes knock the wind out of you. :surprise: God, I'd love to sit in that car one last time. He took his equipment out several years ago and sold his probe. I was mad at him. I was like Brand, you gave up that car for a 97' BMW M3 because he thought it would pick up chics. :confuse:

iluv, I actually am a big GM fan and do like some Ford products. I support the UAW Chrysler workers and feel sorry for them they aren't allowed to build a decent car outside of the Viper. I mean that !!!! Ford's future isn't looking very good. GM, appears to have steered the ship clear of the iceberg. ;)

iluv, I'm afraid of the EVO-X pal. I'm very attracted to it's styling like I've been saying for a long time. It also has the greatest AWD system ever invented by man. It so awesome one might think god might of played a role in its mechanicals. ;) The S-AWC might be banned from racing like Audi's Quattro system years ago if it proves to be to superior. I've seen test mules with this new system and I must say it looks like it will have unfair advantages.

I also have recognized that like the new Lancer, the EVO-X finally has received a sophisticated upscale interior and is receiving a lot of useful features and the refinement appears to be almost worthy of a ELLPS. I will go out on a limb and say the 08' EVO-X has at least as nice of a interior as a current TL, and I could argue the same for the 08' Lancer GTS from all the up close photo's I've seen.

One other feature the EVO-X I like is the dual-clutch automatic that appears to be a reversed engineered 6-speed DSG Audi unit that grabs the other gear before fully releasing making lighting quick shifts no human can match. ;)

I've heard different horspepower numbers being throwin around. Some say only 300 hp and others are saying up to 325 hp.

If this car can go 0-60 in 4.5 or less this car will be a huge hit. It will be very interesting to see how much the MSRP will be on the EVO-X ????? I don't expect it to be fully loaded more than $36K but we will see. ;)

I like I said before iluv, need to stay away from this poison pill. I feel I could easily catch myself swallowing this poison pill at my local mitsubishi dealer thus I need to steer clear. I made the mistake of telling a salesman at the Mitsubishi dealership I love the new EVO-X. He occassionally sends me stuff in the mail about Cadillac's since I bought my 02' Seville STS from their dealership. The dealership is a Cadillac-Mitsubishi dealership and we had a conversation on the phone because I'm kinda looking for a used car. Well we got talking about cars I liked and thus I know for a fact I'm going to get attacked by him with EVO-X brochures this summer trying to bait me with the EVO's poison hook. ;) I don't want to be a hypocrite and thus I might need counceling to stay away. :P

Rocky

P.S. keep me posted on your situation :)
    this new EVO-X sounds like it's been carefuly planned to take on any and all competition. I especially liked this part:

"Mitsubishi engineers hope that an all-new turbocharged inline-4 will provide enough power to cope with the extra weight. Designated the MB11, this all-aluminum, DOHC 2.0-liter design has symmetrical cylinder dimensions, which should deliver free-revving performance. Mitsubishi's MIVEC variable-valve-timing technology has been applied to both camshafts to broaden the power band."

That sounds like it will add to fuel economy and also provide performance. Also less fuel emissions, as a good variable-valve timing engine should. Sweet. Applying power to both camshafts ought to work to provide a more seamless, free-flowing camshaft operation.

Of course, this technology also applies to the three "regular" Lancer trims, so my GTS will have it.

My latest strong feeling is towards the Rally Red color selection.

As far as the Sun and Sound package, I like it. Why not. A sunroof would be cool and a 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo? Yikes. My Foghat would blast the neighbors' windows out. Imagine that. :surprise:

I'll cruise the Lancer over to Tejas for a ZZ Top concert. That wouuld be sweet.

You would probably be the only Mitsubishi owner at the ZZ Top concert because those folks are Harley Davidson/Domestic Truck folks. :surprise:

Rocky

P.S. I called on the 07' GMC Sierra Denali, and I think I have my mind made up finally as that should be my next vehicle. :shades:
    ZZ Top concertgoers, rock. Harley's and GM trucks, indeed.

• ozzexozzex Member Posts: 10
    Guys guys, right now in the market there is not a better car than the EVO, i'm talking if you go the most for your buck, same with the lancer, right now mitsubishi its the company who give you more for the less.
    What you have to do its watch videos of evos eating lambos and ferraris, and you will see what this car is capable of, its truly an amazing car.
    Right came out of the factory its ready to smash the M3 and any other car at the track, if you invest to upgrade the turbo, and some other parts, you will literally beat anybody.
    So the car its going to be around 40k at the dealer, the fully loaded maybe more, right now thats the price and they dont allow drive test, unless the owner of the dealer buy one and let you tested.
    I have an 06 eclipse, it was the first one to use a mivec, if i put a supercharger the car will make 367whp, some more and will be making 400hp. But i'm not getting that cause i will change it for the evo X when came out
    I heard that rumor also that people have asked their dealer and have said expect prices of over $40,000. Some have said the first year models will sell thousands over MSRP. Hell for that much money I'd rather wait another year and get a 09' Cadillac CTS-V with 600 hp. and smoke the EVO and get twice the car ;)

Rocky
    those EVO prices. My '08 Mitsubushi Lancer GTS should come in around $20,000 or $21,000 with the Sun and Sound Package. I would love to have one with a sunroof and the 650 watt Rockford Fosgate. You're right, rock, I'd be kickin' myself if I didn't get those.

Boys, I have fallen hard for the great looks of this Mitsubishi. I didn't realize Mitsubishi's engineering team was so talented but they are. Mitsu is going to start turning it's modern-day Titanic around miss the iceberg with the 2008 Lancer and the 2008 EVO-X.

If you take the time to read the links we've been putting in this thread and the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer thread here on Edmunds you will see what we mean. Gonna be an awesome ride.

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Mitsu applies the same efforts into a new Galant and maybe (if we're lucky) a modern day 3000GT, they'll be in much safer waters. The Outlander and certainly the Lancer are steps in the right direction.

I wanna see an Evo coupe!
    Motor Trend. They tested a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and obtained a 0-60 time of 7.7 seconds. They said the car's state of tune was "sporty in an everyday car sort of way".

Works well for me. The body is built with more rigidity(56% more stiff then the last Lancer)and the weight of the car is 3032 lbs. All of this adds up to help the Lancer's handling. Another thing I like is the thick steering wheel and also mentionable are the 18" 10-spoke wheels.

Disc brakes all around. The list of fine safety implements(7 airbags)is solid and the car's lines are plain beautiful. It has an unusual front end. It can look squared off and it can also look shark-nosed like Hyundai's Tiburon.

I grow more excited every day to test drive one of these Lancer's.

"...0-60 of 7.7 seconds." Funny, the Eclipse GT has a 0-60 of 6.7 seconds (or better) yet everybody slams it. How come?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Maybe just me, but it's because the thing is huge, heavy and feels like a boulevard cruiser. In short, for being Mitsubishi's "sports car" (which it once was), it really isn't all that sporty, especially for a two-door.

Going fast in a straight line isn't much of a selling point for me, unless of course they have everything else right too. Then it's nice icing.

7.7 for your entry level sedan offering, especially with decent handling, ride and braking, plus some nice styling is a win, IMO.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    ""...0-60 of 7.7 seconds." Funny, the Eclipse GT has a 0-60 of 6.7 seconds (or better) yet everybody slams it. How come?"

The Lancer is a 4cylinder, whereas the Eclipse GT is a 6cylinder. With that said, the Lancer is perceived to be a more "well balanced" machine, whereas the Eclipse has a heavy, 6 cylinder, putting out a hefty amount of horsepower, and is front wheel drive. This combination often leads to torque steer (which I have seen noted in a couple of reviews), and makes the car not as well balanced.

It's not all about 0-60, but a 4cyl car that can do it in 7.7, has 4 doors, and is getting good reviews for its handling, is pretty good (at its price point).
  • jflorjflor Member Posts: 20
    Car and Driver has similar positive review of the new Lancer:"sporty demeanor", "shines when the road gets twisty", and has "excellent combination of balance and grip".
    because of several new key engineering improvements. I'll mention a few of them here.

There is increased body rigidity, a new "world" engine developed with DCX and Hyundai, and the MIVEC engine that has variable valve timing. Camshafts will turn at two points for improved efficiency and power, exhaust now travels towards the rear when the last-gen Lancer's exhaust went toward the front of the car(yes, it's true but sounds kind of weird). There is a design change that allows Mitsu engineers to place a straight horizontal cross member up front that improves handling. The engine is mounted tighter and stronger and the motor is lighter, it's all aluminum vs. the old Lancer's iron block.

The engine is chain-driven instead of belt-driven to lighten the maintenance load costs as well as using iradium-tipped sparkplugs to space out the plug change intervals significantly. There are disc brakes all around and standard ABS with Electronic Brake Force Distribution and 7 airbags, including a driver's knee airbag and front side bags and side curtain airbags. 7 airbags in all.

I will be buying a '08 Lancer with a 5-speed manual transmission. The synchro is now triple in 1st gear, triple in 2nd gear and double in 3rd and 4th gears. It's single synchro in 5th gear and reverse gear.

The list goes on and on and on, my friends. Mitsubishi is serious about engineering improvement and it's the slideshow I looked at on autospies(I've already linked it on the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer thread here on Edmunds)that convinced me for good on the car. The demonstration was given by Bryan Arnett, the Product Manager for the Lancer '08.

well well, people like to talk without knowing, the clipse gt does 5.9 0-60, i have one and i'm not a professional driver, it has 264hp, and with a lazy supercharger will be doing close to 376hp and with the greddy turbo 400hp thats a lot just for a bolt on turbo, non racing parts but exhaust and headers, imaging with another clutch, drive pulleys, racing headers, better intake, satge 1 camshaft, short shifter, etc, etc.
    The guys from rippmods says its the better plataform they have work on, for being a FWD, and i dont want to think what will happen if i'll just remove the extra weight, it's a 3.8L MIVEC and has a lot of juice remaining.
    About beating a EVO with a CTS-V or whatever, ok thats true but only at the dyno, cause on track the EVO IX already beats the FERRARI 360, LAMBO GALLARDO, FORD GT, and i can keep, and if we were able to get the EVO IX FQ-400, that you can get on england, that car beats the MURCIELAGO, you can watch the videos at internet, so when you say that car will beat a EVO i laugh in your face, so far if you look at TOP GEAR only cars like the KOENISSEGG beat the EVO and thats a 500K, that car you are talking about SUCKS. Sorry but it does, and when i get my EVO X i hope you get your CTS and we can go to a track, but first watch some Videos and pee in your pants.
    I can imagine the EVO X tuned up, oh god todays evo can easily, just upgrading the turbo, do 600hp, now that a 2.0L how big its the your CTS-V at least V-8 if not V-10, those engines are history, at least you are a FERRARI or LAMBO or PORSCHE and please make your car turn at a curve, i can see already the car ending with the front seeing all the cars flyby.
    Please dont even compare a car like the EVO with your 600hp 250 liters V-200, with a fine tune racing machine like the Mitsu.
    Hey about the price, its just impossible find a car who can beat the EVO for that price, why impossible, simple: IT DOESN'T EXIST.
    Well you can buy the 350Z but get smoked by the 2.0L car, did you just say Mustang GT, HAHAHAHAHA, that not going to happen, lets see, RX-8 yeah sure in your dreams, hmm, want to go expensive, this cars wont do the job G35, any LEXUS, S2000, nissans, toyota not a single one will even give fight, gto, simple EVO its the car to go for, why? Well its a AWD car, a lot of potential to get more power, not expensive, Japanese, a LOT of tune parts, Turbocharged, snow eater, really easy to handle, really GOOD LOOKING, cheap maintenance, BEST WARRANTY, top technology, high resale value, you can get even an M3, a 60k car, STOCK, now put those extra 20K, you are killing everybody now, and you can still seat 5 people, this car its amazing.
    I just cant wait to have it and take it to the track, MUAHAHAHA.
    I am considering getting a 09' Cadillac CTS-V and yes I will gladly race you and spank that Azzzzzzz with my 300 hp. advantage. :P

Rocky

P.S.

Can I smoke a Macanudo Robust while I leave you in my rearview. :blush:
    that the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer is 95% of the car the upcoming EVO-X is? Before you judge that comment go study up on the '08 Lancer and '09 EVO-X. Take that as you may but to me it means that the Lancer I'm looking at buying has component-ture that equals 95% of what the EVO-X has.

Having studied the features and engineering of this car as much as I have the past few weeks I think the standard Lancer is around 90-95% of the EVO-X. You look at the suspension, steering, interior features and basically the motor and the Lancer is a huge stepping stone towards the EVO-X. Makes me feel proud. :)

Mitsubishi around in the U.S for me. I would invite anoyone reading to study up on this car. It is well-thought out and so full of engineering prowess that it...it...simply rocks my house like a 1974 Foghat concert at Seattle's Hec Edmundson Pavilion. That was the first time I saw Foghat and the rest is history. History's finest rock band ever started humbly by following "bigger" acts...i.e. Rod Stewart and opening up for them.

I have studied Mitsubishi's engineering on this car and it looks stellar and awesome. Do we need a Tire Pressure Monitoring System though? Wouldn't hurt, eh?

I can't wait to get mine!

Coolio topped off with a big 'ole Iglasius! :shades:

I've read the Motor Trend article on the Lancer and it sounds like a nice improvment. They said that the 2.0L engine will be for starters. Any guess what other engines they are planning to offer? I wish they had gone to the Al engine block for the Eclipse, it might have improved the handling and cut some weight. Any chance of a Lancer coupe? How about thr Ralliart version the MT article mentioned? Any introduction date on that one?

Lancer possibility.

I have heard that a Lancer hatchback is on the way and a Ralliart is on the way for the 2008 model year.

I would sure love to see '08 Lancer prices for all three Lancer models and option packages. :shades:

What's the fuel economy on the 08' Lancer ? It would be interesting to see what the 3's will be on the
    EVO-X :surprise:

Rocky
  • kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    Dropped by the local Mitsu dealer today to walk around and check things out. The local hiphop station was broadcasting live on the lot and blaring rap music.

I u-turned it out of there--maybe another day after hours...