Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• '08 Lancer GTS models on their lot right now. I was gonna go for an ES, a middle model Lancer, but quickly realized that I would not be able to equip it with all of the parts I wanted...like that great body kit, Rockford Fosgate 650-watt stereo with subwoofer, etc. That body kit rocks!

I have noticed several people getting the lower models and that's fine if they have what you want or you can add what you want and still be happy with the end result automobile. I needed the GTS and it has treated me well.

Was hoping the Eagles would bop the Pats last night but to no avail. Close.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• Oldfarmer. It's basically December at this point. What are you gonna do about buying a sport(y) coupe(hatch)?

Over the weekend, I was at a stop light, right behind an Altima Coupe and a G6 coupe pulls up next to it. The G6 was dark red and the Nissan was red. So I asked my wife which one she liked the best and she replied "Aren't they the same car?".
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,492
    "...What are you going to do about buying..."

Well, right now I'm doing the rebate wait and see. There are no rebates on the Accord or Altima coupes (too new, still too popular) so I know where I stand there.
    The G6 coupe has $1500 rebate so that's looking good (even though it is my least favorite). The Eclipse is the wild card. Last year they had a $1000 rebate in November which they bumped to $2000 in December. So far for the 2008 models they have been stuck at $500 since July. I think they are doing this just to annoy me. This is why I have been such a pest for Eclipse sales figures. If sales are down rebates may rise.

Well in another week I'll know if Mitsu is going to play ball.

PS I like you wife's comment. Mine said "get what you want as long as it isn't red"

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• way to Frankfurt for show.

Enjoy the European Lancer, too, isn't it hot? Love that Rally Red paint job, too.

Now the upper car, the new Mitsubishi Concept-cX, is a new design for "cutting a swath through the urban environment." While the Lancer is just plain gorgeous this new Concept-cX has a look that is growing on me. I liked the look of the Scion xA and I think I prefer it to their new Scion xD, the xA's replacement. Study the front of this Concept-cX and study it's staunch stance swooping up towards the front. I really like the latest design lean from Mitsubishi and this is going to be a crossover that I am going to start to follow development on.

Here's some features of the new Mitsubishi Concept-cX. This is a European version so take note of what you know we won't get as you read these.

* 1.8L clean diesel engine with variable geometry turbo for boost control
    (The European Lancer also gets this motor)

* New Twin Clutch SST(Sport Shift Transmission)

* Diesel particulate filter in exhaust for cleaner emissions

* Diesel oxidation catalyst

* Electronically-controlled 4WD

* 19-inch tires for great handling

* Excellent fuel economy (though numbers were not yet available they are no doubt
    pretty impressive with the diesel engine)

* Low emissions

* Has a tailgate like the new Outlander does for easier load/unload operation

* Easy to maneuver and park this little trooper

* Interior trim materials are Mitsubishi's Green Plastic (made from plant based
    resins to show that Mitsubishi Motors is doing their part to reduce harmful
    hydrocarbons and reduce global warming trends)

I've thought of getting an Outlander after this Lancer GTS but this might fit my bill better than an Outlander. Then again, I quite possibly will go for another Lancer in 5 or 6 years, too. But anyway, I thought I'd share this little giblet for y'all to peruse and comment on. I do like Mitsubishi's design vision of late. Very nice.

Oh, BTW, a while back I mentioned not knowing where Finbarr O'Neill of Hyundai Motors, USA, then Mitsubishi Motors NA, was at these days. When he left Mitsubishi in 2004 he went to Reynolds and Reynolds Co. Umm...are we talking aluminum production company, here, anyone know? I could probably Google it I spose.

• tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    I like the Concept cX. I'm off of Mitsubishi products at the moment. The price is just too high for me and so far the results seem unimpressive. Subaru's STI looks like a winner. Also too expensive for me and I just don't see the Evo X as costing a full $10K over a fully loaded Lancer GTS.
    They need a cheaper AWD car, hopefully the cX will be around the Mid 20's and then I'd consider it. Yes i know the Ralliart but not a peep about it officially and Mitsubishi really needs to get their sales figures up.
    Great design on the new EVO for certain. When they bump up the HP in the Lancer it should be great. Shame is the base Impreza has 170HP and AWD for like $17K. That's a good deal, I think this Concept cX needs to compete with that.
  • I don't like Subaru body styling, no matter how hard they try. These Lancer's and EVO X's from Mitsubishi's rock much better than any Subaru. They are engineered from rally-racing design improvements. The new front bracing in the new Lancer is for extra stability in handling, for instance. This Lancer is just such a nice car for the money with all the features you get, too.

The new Concept-cX looks like it would look like the EVO X when looking straight-on at it from the front. That is the look that I like, and my Lancer GTS also has it. It's the new Mitsubishi design direction and I won't buy a car I don't like the body design of. Just won't work for me, those Subaru's, and I don't need AWD either. To each their own if they want a Subie, just not for me.

I don't like Subaru body styling, no matter how hard they try. These Lancer's and EVO X's from Mitsubishi's rock much better than any Subaru. They are engineered from rally-racing design improvements.

Yeah the styling isn't all that great but the car is clearly rally designed I mean it was designed by their Rally driver. Looks aren't great but from what I'm reading the STI is a real winner. I can't wait to see the comparisons between the 2 cars. For looks I'll take the EVO, and at the moment I'd edge out the STI for performance I mean it's blistering. Lets just see if it was a specially tuned car or if they are all that fast.
    I'll probably be getting the Mazdaspeed3 since everything else ended up costing too much. The Lancer is rumored to get another few HP under the hood so that would help a lot.
    You are fortunate to not need AWD where you live. I have a lot of hills in this city and even with AWD you need snow tires when it snows. We get all kinds of nasty stuff in the winter so AWD is really something I need but I hate the design of the WRX and I won't buy one. I also have to drive up into Maine and sometimes NH a lot for work and in the winter AWD is a must. The Mazdaspeed3 isn't AWD which is why I've delayed so long.
    I can relate to not buying an ugly car. The New Lancer design looks sharp.
  • "Well in another week I'll know if Mitsu is going to play ball."

Oldfarmer, while watching football over the weekend, I saw Mitsu commercials indicating $2000 discount for the Eclipse. The Mitsu website is not updated yet though.
  • Mitsubishi 2007 Sales Through November Exceed Entire 2006 Total
    December 3, 2007 -- CYPRESS, Calif. --
    Mitsu media related website

Mitsubishi Motors announced today that calendar year-to-date (CYTD) sales reached 123,089 as of the end of November, a 13.3% increase compared to the first eleven months of 2006 and already more than the entire 2006 full-year total of 118,558. November sales this year were 7,983, a decrease of 13.8 percent compared to the 9,256 units sold in November 2006.

The new Outlander crossover sport utility continued to show the largest year-over-year increase through November, at 136%. Lancer sedan (61%), Eclipse Spyder convertible (15.4%), Raider truck (10%), and Galant sedan (1%) sales are also ahead in 2007 compared to the January-November period a year ago.

November sales highlights:

Sales of the all-new fuel efficient Lancer were 1,708 in November, a 54% increase over November 2006.
    Eclipse Spyder convertible sales were up 5.9% in November.
    Raider sales were up 35.1% for the month.
    Endeavor sales were up 8.9% in November.
    Mitsubishi's January-November sales represent the best sales for the first eleven months of the year since 2004.
    Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, marketing, research and development operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of approximately 500 dealers. For more information, contact the Mitsubishi Motors News Bureau at (888) 560-6672 or visit media.mitsubishicars.com.
    "...I saw commercials indicating $2000 discount for the Eclipse..."

Yea, they've had that rebate on the 2007 since last December. I'm looking at the 2008 because of some equipment additions I like. You see that $2000 rebate in the sidebar ads here on Edmunds too.

Speaking of Edmunds, they updated their Mitsu rebate section today. Now they say there is a $1000 rebate on the Eclipse coupe (up from $500). Still nothing specific on the Mitsu site (which is strange).

So I may be getting close. I notice that I've been counting my loose change and picking up pennies I find in the street lately. ;)

• dave82dave82 Posts: 43
    The new Outlander did so poorly in November that Mitsubishi didn't even publish the sales figures. Rather than doing the normal month-to-month comparison, they compared January - November sales for this year to January - November sales for last year. More obfuscation from Mitsubishi.
    123K as of November. I think that's what they sold in all of 2005. I'm glad to see Mitsu's turn around continue. This should be the best year since 2004.

"...More obfuscation from Mitsubishi..."

I share your disappointment with the lack of specific sales figures by model. Do you have anything concrete?

• after studying the aotospies report on the new Lancer in late Feb.'07-early Mar.'07 in detail again and again(it includes the '08 Lancer Product Manager going over the car in intricate detail...including engineering design improvements studied in minute detail...and lots and lots of pictures!!)then eyeballing that gorgeous new body design I made up my mind to buy a '08 Lancer GTS and be part of Mitsubishi's comeback in the U.S.

The car amazes me with it's handling, economy, looks and all-out fun. This harkens me back to my late teens when I bought my first car, a 1965 Ford Mustang.

I love the '65 Mustang's bodystyle but this Lancer GTS from Mitsubishi tops the 'Stang in engineering. Of course, one would have paid about what for a '65 Mustang, 3-speed manual tranny, about $3,595 or so? I paid about $22,100 for my Lancer. I wonder if those aren't similar amounts when adjusted for wages, era and dollars, eh? I was gonna say that I'm paying more for the Lancer to get more solid chassis and engine engineering. But the totals might be shockingly similar when put through the time-a-tron, eh?

My '65 Mustang was 13 years old when I bought it, BTW. :blush:

"...I wonder if those aren't similar amounts when adjusted..."

Well, let's see. In 1965 minimum wage was about $1.50 and by now you must be making, what...at least $2.50 an hour... :P

Seriously though, with the technical advances in your Lancer if you were to bring it back to 1965 people would think it was a space ship. There's really no comparison except that they both run on gas.

• about the same now as the '65 Mustang then in terms of what the money is worth in both time frames. Nothing about my income then or now.

Simply this: is $3,595 spent in 1965 about the same as spending $22,100 in March of 2007? Then, if we can come to some kind of understanding on those figures, say they come out similar, if I look at the rigs I'm getting, the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is a whole lot more car for my money than a new '65 would have been had I bought it new.

For instance, there have been many poster's here on Edmunds that tell us we're not paying as exorbitant amounts for our new cars now as we did back in the 50's-60's-70's when dollars are adjusted accordingly.

"...Nothing about my income then or now..."

Just teasing.

About your question. As I recall, back in 1965 the average car cost about six months of the average workers wages. I imagine it is still pretty much so: $13K vs $44K. The trouble with averages is that it doesn't tell you how the money is distributed. Back in 1965 there were a lot of factory workers who could afford to buy a Mustang. Now there seems to be fewer in the middle and a lot more who can either afford a fancy luxury car or can't afford bus fare. Joe six-pack is now either Joseph the banker or Joey the welfare recipient. :cry:

Have you compared the data between the two cars? Which is faster? Which handles better? Which gets better milage? Most important, which would you buy today?

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,722
    I think that's true for many cars, they are a decent deal today.

I am too young to relate things way back when, and my car knowledge on such a detailed level is limited to a few makes, but I can think of some examples.

For instance - 1986 MB 300E - about 40K then. Today's equivalent, the E350, bases at about 51K. A MB 190E 2.6 would have stickered for around 30K in 1987. An equivalent C350 today is about 36K. A 500SEL in 1992 would have cost about 85-90K. An S550 can be had today for just shy of 90K. In every case the cars have gained an immense amount of features...although this can be good and bad.

As mentioned in another post, income trends are a different world.
    I won't see any numbers until next week, when Automotive News publishes them. Mitsubishi loves to use statistics instead of actual numbers because the statistics can be easily manipulated. For example, for every month this year until November, they were comparing monthly 2007 Outlander sales to monthly 2006 Outlander sales, because it allowed them to compare the old model to the new one. The sales increases looked pretty impressive, unless you realize that it had more to do with sales for the old Outlander dropping dramatically because people were waiting to purchase the new model. However, now that they have a full year of sales for the new Outlander, they don't want to publish that statistic anymore.
  • if we take them for just what they are: numbers representing something. Mitsubishi is fighting to make it here in the U.S. I'd simply say without quoting any sales numbers that Mitsubishi is making their way much more soundly here in the U.S. than even one short year ago.

Outlander for 2007 and Lancer for 2008 sales numbers are straight-ahead blues-rock and roll like Foghat. Great! Great music, great sales numbers, happy-happy Mitsubishi representatives of all stages of employment. I can tell you that my '08 Lancer's performance has been good. When you love your car you take care to take care of it.

A Finbarr O'Neill-inspired 10 year and 100,000 mile Warranty doesn't hurt their case for making it, either. After learning much more about the racing heritage of Mitsubishi and their reliable little L-200 pickup, their new i-City Car that is selling like hotcakes in the UK I am reminded that companies like this have their hand in fondue pots all over the world. Kia is another that is being nicely accepted in Europe. Their new cee'd and pro'ceed cars are being snapped up like hotcakes in countries where the roads are tighter and more crowded.

A country like the U.S., which has seen it's major 3 carmakers nearly become extinct and has sought to see to their survival finds it hard to just chuck the F-150 and Silverado in all their excessive boredom. Wide open spaces in the U.S. are different than streets in India and Europe and the UK. Companies like Kia and Mitsubishi and Suzuki see these markets, foreign to us, friendly to them and their growth. Kia and Hyundai have improved in sales year over year and their vehicles have improved aligned with higher sales.

It has been a joy to help Mitsubishi up out of the quagmire of dorky U.S. excessiveness and loan default and lack of reasoning ability. I hope many of those who defaulted on their Mitsubishi loans have learned from the foolishness of trying to screw an automaker over to benefit yourself. Oh, oh no it just doesn't work that way, goofballs. You are only going to hurt yourself that way. I see Mitsubishi involved with so much now that their success is a surety. Life is good, one can still buy what they like in this country and enjoy it and know that they will be around to service and re-plenish for years and years to come.

Mitsubishi is working hard on a competent EV for as early as 2009 so I have vowed to follow it's timeline as closely as I can get my mouse on that information and share it. After 13,716 miles in my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS I have this to say about that.

Rock on to that 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo and open that sunroof to Arizona sunshine and enjoy yourself. Go buy some vintage Foghat and blast it out those speakers to Lonesome Dave Peverett's honor. Life is good. It's great to be alive! :blush:

• 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    Dave82 - I asked this in a previous post, but you must not have seen it. Every post that you make here on Edmunds is a bash against Mitsubishi (which is cool, that is your right). I was just curious as to what your ax to grind with Mitsubishi is? It just strikes me as odd that someone would come to a website such as this, and post solely against a certain manufacturer. Again, this isn't meant to be an attack against you, I just like to know where people are coming from.
    I work in the automotive industry and have done some work for them, along with a few of the other Japanese manufacturers, so I'm fairly familiar with their internal operations. I felt that a lack of integrity was unfortunately a common feature among many of the managers that I dealt with. It will be interesting to see how the Japanese Sarbanes-Oxley impacts how they do business internally.
  • "It will be interesting to see how the Japanese Sarbanes-Oxley impacts how they do business internally. "

What do you mean by this? While we're asking for explanations for arguments against Mitsubishi I might as well get in on it.

• Sarbanes-Oxley is a Corporate Governance/Internal Controls and Accounting/Financial Reporting law. Highly simplified, the law's intent is to protect investors from unethical corporate behaviour (think Enron, Worldcom, etc.).
    See below for all eight titles that make up the law:
    http://www.sarbanes-oxley.com/section.php?level=1&pub_id=Sarbanes-Oxley

Japan is getting ready to enact a similar law due to an investigation by the Financial Services Agency that found 1 in 10 Japanese companies made material misstatements in their Financial reports.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/19040186-52f6-11d9-8845-00000e2511c8.html

Dave - I can appreciate your distaste of individuals that appear to lack integrity. I can't quite understand why this would drive you to post so negatively about one specific company.
    The lack of transparency of the sales reports from Mitsubishi certainly is annoying, but doesn't harm anyone. These are not financial statements and, in my humble opinion, do not represent materially important information.
    As far as Outlander sales go, they have been trending downwards since July. The comparison to the prior year sales of the old Outlander is legitimate, since all other automakers do the same thing. I do agree that it seems petty for Mitsubishi to now suddenly stop showing monthly sales for that model.

If it's the recall scandal that bothers you, other Japanese makes engaged in the same activities (see page 137).
    http://books.google.com/books?id=A9CDvNs35ooC&pg=PA137&lpg=PA137&dq=%22fuji+heav- - - - - y+industries%22+defect+cover+up&source=web&ots=eeOB7FSJdu&sig=og0omfRHO7wAE4FdIu- - - - - XF8mbdS4U#PPA137,M1

If you dealt with Mitsubishi more than 3 years ago, you were dealing with a very different company.
    So, if you can, please elaborate. I am a self-declared car-nut and am here to gain more knowledge.

oldfarmer, you should go to autonews.com. They are having an open house until Sunday and you will be able to access all their content, including sales numbers for all makes and models.
    "...you will be able to access all their content, including sales numbers..."

God bless you and all your children! :)

• There's a man who really wants some Mitsubishi sales numbers!

Lack of transparency about auto sales is just the tip of the iceberg. The other Japanese companies have their ethical issues as well, but I can't really comment because I have done very little work with them.

As for my dealings with Mitsubishi, they were as recent as last month. I do agree that some of the bad apples that were there three years ago are gone.

Actual sales for the Outlander were 1223 in November 2007, compared to 1694 last November. Lancer sales were 1736, vs 1531 last year. These two models were supposed to resurrect the Mitsubishi brand, but so far that doesn't appear to be the case so far.
    As for my dealings with Mitsubishi, they were as recent as last month. I do agree that some of the bad apples that were there three years ago are gone.

I dealt with Mitsubishi a lot longer ago than that and it left such a bad taste in my mouth that it's only now I am considering them although I did consider the EVO IX but was not doable as not all my kids were not adults at the time. It seems Mitsubishi really isn't selling as well as they could. My issue before wasn't with the car but with the total lack of ethics of any sort from the dealership. The fact that the Mitsu dealers aren't local to me doesn't help.
    VW on the other hand after what i went through with them will never get another chance and they do nothing to improve reliability in any way so never again. Mitsubishi has a chance, VW doesn't.
    "...it left such a bad taste in my mouth..."

You echo comments made by others on many different forums. They center around actions by the Mitsu dealers rather than with the cars. Were your problems with the deal or service or something else?

Most importantly, do you still see these problems today?

You echo comments made by others on many different forums. They center around actions by the Mitsu dealers rather than with the cars. Were your problems with the deal or service or something else?
    Most importantly, do you still see these problems today?

Yeah I've heard a lot of negative comments about certain brands and mostly it's the dealers. VW being the lone exception. Both the car and the dealerships bite! nothing will ever change my mind about that!
    To be honest i never saw a more scamming dealer than Mitsubishi and blatant about it. This is going back a long time ago and I don't know if it's fair to say it' anything like that now. But what turned me off from buying a 2006 EVO was the dealerships that had them all had ADM and refused test drives, you had to buy the car with no test drive and that was when you left the dealership after paying for it. They treated me like garbage, so I passed on that and this was the 2 largest dealers so I just kept my 2002 WRX. From what I saw their attitude was just as arrogant as it had always been. We only have 2 within driving distance and neither are close to me.
    So in 2006 and I don't know how many years before that they were rude an arrogant.
    to be fair I've had that with Honda and Chevy and Mazda, etc... Never Toyota. But that's an individual dealership and not all of them. But 2 for 2 isn't good which is why I have steered clear from Mitsubishi. Also consider this they went around to all the auto-x events and took pictures of any cars that ran at the event with the license plate and voided the warranty on all those cars!
    Now they want me to support that kind of behavior from a dealership? NFW!
    The new EVO has peaked my interest again, maybe the Ralliart will be cool as well.
    But in the past Mitsubishi has not endeared itself to me in any way. I'm willing to give them another chance but at events here everyone drives Subaru, no BS from the dealers and they are always happy to see you. Subaru sells a lot of cars in my area. For the money the new STI combined with a lot less hassle from the dealer makes it a better buy for me. Too bad the new WRX is so ugly to me.
    If you have a great dealership and like the car and they take good care of you regardless of what brand then I wouldn't have a problem. VW treats customers like dirt and Mitsubishi 2 years ago treated me worse. car might be great but you have to get through the crappy dealer first. I bet if Mitsubishi corrected their dealers attitude problems they'd sell more cars. Most people I know will not even consider buying Mitsubishi. Dealers are too far away and their attitude is crap. The Chrysler dealer was that way as was one of the Chevy dealers, both are extinct now.
    My biggest gripe with Subaru is they take a long time to do an oil change I think they overbook.
    They want to sell me a new STI but I know locally I won't get a good price. Way off topic..... :blush:
    I will check out the EVO if is comes out soon enough but an ADM sticker means I do not buy the car no matter the brand and I label the dealer as a scammer and won't deal with then for at least 2 years or a change of ownership. I'm ruthless that way. ;)