Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    no, nothing new on the under-development Mitsubishi i-MIEV city car. Mitsubishi is going to put the car on sale in Japan in 2009 and has said that they will import it into the U.S. starting in 2010. I would like to see a longer range of travel on one charge before I get interested in buying one. Other than that it is a car I am certainly interested in for a potential future purchase. I am starting to wonder if gas prices are gonna drop much below $4.00/gal for 87 no-lead, ever. I know, ever is a really long time, too. :sick:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    ""...longer range...before I get intrested..."

I can see your reluctance seeing you're out in AZ if I recall. Lot of desert to get lost in if your battery dies. Back here in the east it's range (wasn't it about 40 miles?) might work in some of the big metro areas. Hey, they're selling SmartFor Two here in upstate NY where they will probably get blown off the road by big semis.
    Why not an i-MIEV?

I'm looking in my crystal ball on fuel prices and I'm seeing the same trend as I saw in the 1998-2000 dot-com bubble. Prices skyrocket for a few years and then just before the crash prices fluctuate wildly up and down. In the end it's the little speculators who got in late that take the big loss. Right now I see the big boys unloading their positions to the Jonny-come-latelys. I give it until fall and then you'll see a nosedive.

Or not! :cry:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    >> I'm looking in my crystal ball on fuel prices and I'm seeing the same trend as I saw in the 1998-2000 dot-com bubble.

Not quite the same story with gas. While gas prices fluctuate in a short term, in the long term they only go UP. The world oil reserves left only for 30-40 years, so I will probably see $10 a gallon gas price in my life time. So the vehicles like i-MIEV will improve become mainstream very soon while gasoline based exotic cars will be driven mostly by billionaires.
    "...Not quite the same story with gas..."

I hope you are wrong. :cry:

On a lighter note. I see Edmunds tested the new Lance Raliart, and liked it. No prices yet. Edmunds says around 30K (YIKES). Due out in September.

0-60 in about 6 seconds, a tad faster than a GT Eclipse. I'll bet with 4-wheel drive it handles better too. Oh well, I've got 21 years left before my next new car. By then they will have the EVO-Wheelchair version just for me. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

>> I hope you are wrong.

I hope I am wrong, sure. But economics of supply and demand is a reality. Don't worry electric cars will be as fast as Lancer Raliart. Even today all-electric Tesla delivers 60mph in 3.9 seconds: as good as Ferrari:

Though, not as fast as 4 cylinder 2.0L Lancer Evo MR FQ400 VIII: 3.5sec!

>> On a lighter note. I see Edmunds tested the new Lance Raliart, and liked it. No prices yet. Edmunds says around 30K (YIKES). Due out in September. 0-60 in about 6 seconds, a tad faster than a GT Eclipse. I'll bet with 4-wheel drive it handles better too. Oh well, I've got 21 years left before my next new car.

Why 21 years???
    "...Tesla delivers 60mph in 3.9 seconds..."

But doesn't it cost about 90K? My Eclipse cost 24K.

"...Why 21 years???..."

Because it was 22 years since my last new car. I guess we'll have those flying cars by then. ;)

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    more electric car stuff...

June 17, 2008

Mitsubishi and Peugeot collaborate on electricity
    Paris, France – PSA Peugeot Citroën and Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) have announced the start of a joint feasibility study on an extended collaboration in the field of electric powertrains. The project, which will run over several months, relates to the development, manufacture and use of an electric powertrain for small urban vehicles.

The new agreement reinforces the bonds between the two manufacturers, who recently began construction of a joint factory in Russia.

PSA Peugeot Citroën is the largest global manufacturer of electric vehicles to date, with more than 10,000 units sold. MMC, which aims to become one of the leading car manufacturers of electric vehicles, has prioritized development of its i MiEV electric minicar, which it will launch in the Japanese domestic market in 2009 with a possible future introduction to Europe and the U.S. It has also set up Lithium Energy Japan, a joint venture with GS Yuasa, to supply large-capacity, high-performance lithium ion batteries for the vehicle.

click here for website
    I have bookmarked that website and will look for more Peugeot-Mitsubishi collabaration on electrical car production information as time moves along. It is nice to see such a huge takeoff in alternative automotive propulsion sources being discussed on large scale now. It is where we need to turn and Mitsubishi and their i-MIEV may indeed be where I go next for my automotive needs. Thanks for that link.

You're very welcome. And I might be making some type of hybrid purchase from Mitsu down the road, as well. Maybe they'll give us a production version of that all wheel drive sports car that they showed not too long ago -- It would be nice to have some reasonably priced GT cars in the mix along side the sedans.
    who says hybrids or all-electrics need to look dull? Mitsubishi is on a great body design roll now. I still look at my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and see a baby EVO and get on with drooling. :shades:

I stand behind my earlier Edmunds.com comment that the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and the 1965 Ford Mustang are my two favorite car body designs of all time. No Ferrari's, Corvettes, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche's, etc. Just a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and a 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe.

I have a Hot Wheel of a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution(hot off the Hot Wheel press a couple weeks ago) and a metal model of a 1965 Ford Mustang sitting side-by-side of each other on top of my computer's monitor. :blush:

Just read that they did a bit over 7400 units for June. That has to be down year to year.

Well mighty Toyota took a 20% drop in June so I guess everybody is feeling the pain.

Can't some of you guys drill an oil well in your back yard to help us out here? :cry:

Yep. It's tough selling cars now (with the exception of Honda).

As bad as we need the rain here in NC, I just hope there are no major storms in the gulf this year. Just the threat of a hurricane, and the so-called expert speculators will send the oil prices into never never land.

Meanwhile, I'm driving the speed limit and keeping the RPMs low.

Hope that everyone enjoys Independence Day.
  • dave82dave82 Member Posts: 43
    CYPRESS, Calif. -

Mitsubishi Motors said Thursday its June U.S. sales plunged 42.4 percent, led by significant sales declines across the automaker's sports utility models.

The automaker sold 7,494 vehicles last month, compared with 13,014 vehicles sold in June 2007.

Adjusted to reflect three additional selling days in June 2007, sales fell 35.2 percent.

Among the company's SUVs, sales of the Outlander sank 69.8 percent, while sales of the Endeavor fell 60.7 percent.

The only model posting gains during the month was the fuel-efficient Lancer Evolution, which rose 52.2 percent.

So far this year, sales are down 23.4 percent. Adjusted to reflect an extra selling day last year, sales are down 22.9 percent.
    "...I'm driving the speed limit and keeping the RPMs low..."

I hear you. I never used the cruise control before but now I do. The Eclipse isn't too bad on gas. I get 24-25mpg in mixed driving going to work.

Well, that's if I'm not "enjoying" my ride. I never had an automatic that could "chirp" the tires on the upshift before.

That 3.8L motor will just lope along at 1800rpm @ 60mph. I want to take it on a long trip this summer to see if it will break 30mpg on the highway.

I finally saw the 2009 Eclipse at my dealer. Tweety Bird Yellow, blacked-out grill,big spoiler and different wheels. Not my cup of tea. Maybe the kids will find it hot though.

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    A lot of people's sales are down. Have you noticed the state of the economy in general lately?

I have to suspect you are a "troll" as the ONLY posts you make on this forum are ones that bash Mitsubishi. Seems weird to come to an automobile forum, that covers topics as broadly as this one does, and ONLY bash Mitsubishi.
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    It does seem that the posts from dave82 are redundant in the extreme, word for word press releases ( yawn ). Normally I don't feed trolls, but it doesn't take much imagination to figure out why Mitsubishi is getting hit so hard right now. In a nutshell, the only vehicle in their North American stable that customers perceive as "fuel efficient" is the Lancer, simply because of its size. If they had brought the Colt over here a few years ago they would have to beat the customers off with a stick, ditto the i car. I mean, look what Kia and Suzuki are doing right now.

I remember Mitsu said a few years ago that their updated corporate policy would be to manufacture their new vehicles as "global" models instead of being region specific. They seem to be doing this with the Lancer series where we should have at least six different models to choose from soon. Diesels on the way also, and if they don't bring the Miev (or whatever they call it eventually) over to these shores by 2010 then they are going to suffer a PR disaster of significant proportions. Anyone who is familiar with Mitsubishi's worldwide model line-up would, I think, agree with me when I say that they have some fantastic high performance AND fuel efficient vehicles. I say it's about time to let North America have a crack at the full spectrum and, btw, I would personally wade through a ton of [non-permissible content removed] while barefoot to own one of those Colt Ralliarts right about now.

Another thing -- I mentioned this in a post a few days ago -- they need to get serious with that mid-size Concept ZT. Fuel prices are going to change the car market in some radical ways. Right now, mid size four door sedan sales are getting shellacked along with SUVs and pick-ups, but they will be back, albeit in a form that is more versatile as well as fuel efficient. So will sport coupes, to some degree.

So...if they are really serious about revitalization, it's time to update the Galant and Eclipse.
  • dave82dave82 Member Posts: 43
    Mitsubishi is starting to circle the drain in the US. How many other car manufacturers were down over 40% last month? The plant in Normal is running at what, 30% of capacity, when 85-90% is considered healthy? It's only a matter of time before they close the plant in Normal
    I'll preface my reply by saying that I am not sure exactly what the future holds for ANY manufacturer in North America right now, but I do know that everyone and their brother was saying that Mitsu would shut down their U.S. plant in 2004 when they were struggling worldwide, not just in NA. Mitsubishi resisted that knee-jerk reaction and kept the plant viable by developing overseas markets for the Galant, primarily Russia. They just recently announced they are going to export the Eclipse GS to China.

From what I read in the industry it seems that many manufacturers would like to have an assembly plant here in the U.S. as a hedge against import taxes ( tariffs ) and also to soften the high costs of transporting vehicles around the world from one place to another. If Mitsubishi were to shutter the Illinois plant they would be strictly an import brand and in the event of a protectionist policy from a new administration in Washington they -- and other import-only brands -- could be priced out of the North American market. Not a very good long term strategy is it?

Anyway, Mitsubishi is still struggling but is a lot better off now than they were four years ago. They have the new Lancer and Outlander series and seem to have a slight edge in a new revolutionary propulsion system called electricity. In those circumstances i would think it's better to invest in your assets rather than cut-and-run, but who knows. Maybe you'll get your wish.
    "...Maybe you'll get your wish..."

He may get his wish with a bunch of other car makers as well. They are talking that GM is close to going belly up and Ford isn't much better. If I remember right, Mitsu actually made money in 2007. Don't know if they'll do it in 2008.

If I remember some of dave82's previous posts he has done business with Mitsubishi and was not happy with the relationship. Some of that seems to come through in his posts.

However, simply posting sales figures without comment is not necessarily Mitsu bashing. I'm a Mitsu fan and I have ranted about how they tweak their figures to hide poor-performing models.

Personally, I think that Mitsubishi is a company that flirts with greatness but frequently, for whatever reason, doesn't quite pull it off. They have some tremendous technology. They just need to put it together in a way that the buying public responds to.

Just my 2 cents.

I was at my Mitsu dealer today ordering a part and I looked at an EVO they had on the lot. Man, what a car! If I could afford it I would love to take that puppy out for a spin.

Also saw the 2009 Eclipse up close. I'm starting to warm up to the new style but still like my 2008 better.

"...not necessarily Mitsu bashing..."

Right you are. Hey, in his sales figure post he even called the Lancer "fuel efficient".

Still, it's tough to have a realistic discussion with folks who cry Wolf when an industry hits a bump in the road and sales dry up. I'm not saying there won't be casualties but come on, most of the G-8 countries have way higher fuel prices than us and they continue to support a thriving auto industry. Market forces in a free economy will determine success here, plus the fact that, at this point in time, smaller is better. Major automobile manufacturers didn't get where they are today by closing up shop when the [non-permissible content removed] hits the fan and if Mitsu wants to be relevant worldwide they better learn to do what you said -- Put it together in a way that the buying public responds to. They've got the product! Build some of it here and ship in the rest! What's the mystery here?

As far as the big 3, I think the media has to take some responsibility for whats happening to them right now. Every time (and right now it's EVERY frickin DAY) the news media discuss oil prices they mention the sales from GM, Ford and Chrysler being in the toilet. People read that over and over again and the perception soon becomes that these companies are losers, or stupid or both. Who wants to buy from a stupid, loser car company. Better to buy a new Suzuki Skanker to impress my loser, stupid neighbors who own a Tahoe. Ha Ha.

Back to Mitsu.. I think if they can hang in there and produce a next generation Galant and Eclipse (for the world market) they will pull the revitalization plan off. Their electric i-Car will certainly be a factor in name recognition also and they need to stay on good terms with their other triple diamond sponsors like Mitsubishi Heavy and MBOT as well.

I still like the 06 - 08 Eclipse style a wee bit more than the new 09's too. The front end is more minimalistic I think, and that just seems to promote the mission statement of the vehicle better. Wish my sister hadn't traded in her 07 GT for a Ralliart Galant, but she needed the extra room...for shopping.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I agree with what you're saying about the media and the Big 3. I think most people would be embarrassed at this point to say they bought an Explorer, Tahoe, etc.

A new mid size vehicle doesn't get that much better mileage than an Explorer and especially when you figure the awful trade in on an SUV.

I'll admit Mitsubishi's future makes me a little nervous. I'll be buying a new vehicle soon and I'd hate to be stuck with two orphans. ;)

I drove the new Galant and it looks great but the ride, handling, interior shows it's age.

If I but a used vehicle it might be a possibility because used ones are pretty cheap.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Well, I just like to know where people are coming from when they post. It is obvious that dave82 has a bone to pick, or some kind of weird agenda, as he only posts negatively about Mitsubishi (look at his history in his profile).

I also think it's funny how some folks have been claiming Mitsubishi would be leaving the N American market very soon for about 5 years now, and it hasn't happened. Guess some people don't know as much as they claim to know when they post anonymously on internet forums!!!

For the record, I use to own an Outlander (that was totaled) as well as a couple of other Mitsubishi products before that, but now have Hondas. I believe Honda products are better, but don't really have anything negative to say about my Mitsubishi experience.
    "...I believe Honda products are better..."

But you pay for that quality. When I was shopping I also considered the Accord Coupe. It had the best interior of any car I looked at. It was also $6000 more than a comparable Eclipse.

Same with the Nissan Altima coupe. It beat the Eclipse in almost all performance areas (by a small amount) but it cost $2000 more.

I had a limited budget and Mitsu fit the bill. Now I'll have to see if my Eclipse will last 200K miles like a Honda.

You are right, you do pay for that quality, but they also hold their resale much better. Even if you are planning on keeping it until the wheels fall off, there is always the chance it will become totaled (like what happened with my Outlander). In the case of my Outlander, I got lucky. I bought it used, drove it for 3 years, and got $1500 less than I paid for it when it was deemed a total loss (it was actually struck by lightning). If I had bought it new, I would have taken a bath on it.

I have no doubt that the 2.0 and 2.4L Mitsubishi engines will last to 200K if you properly maintain them. Heck, my buddy has an '03 Lancer with 150K on it, and it looks and runs like brand new. The V6 Mitsubishi engines I am not so sure about.

One thing I will say, is that the quality of the Mitsubishi dealer is directly related to the part of town the dealership is located (in my area anyways). The one in the "rougher" part of town is kind of a pressure packed place to do business. The one in the upscale part of town is very laid back, and they treat the customers like gold.
    "...the 2.0 and 2.4L Mitsubishi engines will last to 200K...The V6 Mitsubishi engines I am not so sure about..."

I hope you're wrong about the V6 engines as I have two of them, a 2,5L in my Chrysler and the larger version (3.8L) in my Eclipse. Both are very smooth running engines. The Chrysler has 104K on it now and runs very nice. Hope it stays that way.

Do you have a reason for doubting the V6 motors?

No, no specific reason to doubt the V6...It's just I have seen a few of the 2.0 and 2.4's up in the high 100's, and they are still ticking along.

I have never personally seen a high mileage (greater than 150K) 3.8, or the new V6 they use in the Outlander.

Do you run premium in your 3.8, or have you tried a lower grade?
  • dflores2dflores2 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Normal, Illinois and here is the latest news on the Illinois plant buyout for 105 employees. According to Dan Irvin, "He blames high oil prices and conservative consumer attitudes for the sales slowdown."

Read the article! It's interesting ~ I happen to agree with Dave82. Many residents of Bloomington-Normal have predicted it's closing. The latest 'rumor' is it will be turned into another Illinois Correctional Institution! Who knows what the forcast holds.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US dove into another era like the Great Depression, even though the government has a safety net to keep it from happening again.

Just a thought guys!
    "...Do you run premium in your 3.8..."

Yes. I've heard of others trying to cheap out and getting knocking. Also the gap between RUG and premium isn't that great anymore. When RUG was $1.50 and premium was $1.70 that was a bigger difference than when RUG is $4.15 and premium is $4.35.

My 2.5L runs on regular and both seem to take the same amount to fill. The 3.8L actually gets a few miles more per gallon than the 2.5L. Go figure.

"...Just a thought guys!..."

Wow! Mitsu becomes a prison and the US goes down the tubes. Finally, someone with a more pessimistic outlook than me. :cry:

Today Mitsu announced sales of 9694 units for July down 6.8% from July 2007.

The good news is that the car line sold 7527 units an increase of 8.6% from July 2007.

Their total sales for July were up 28.7% from last month.

So Mitsu isn't doing too bad in this REALLY tough market. GM was down something like 27% from last year.

BTW, did anyone catch the comparison between the Lancer Raliart, Subie WRI and the Mazda Speed3? They said the Lancer was almost as good as the Speed 3.

Too bad they're sending all the Lancers to Russia.

Yep. Mitsu is hanging in there. I'm glad to see it.

The Normal built cars showed improvement too!

"...comparison between the..."
    I saw that car shoot out. That Speed3 must be an absolute beast because it is rare that an "older" car can beat newer ones in such comparisons. It looked liked the Mitsu was "out-tired" by the Mazda. Maybe if the Lancer had some summer tires (or wider) on it, things would have been a little closer. At any rate, hats off to Mazda.

"Too bad they're sending all the Lancers to Russia"
    The Lancer is doing well world wide and I think Mitsu is gonna start building Lancers and Outlanders (Peugeot and Citroen versions) in Russia.
    Inside Line has a partial posting of this report. It can be found in it's entirety at jd power or copy and paste this...
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/SaveonaCarDyn.aspx- ?cp-documentID=9144409

The industry average improved to 206 problems per 100 vehicles, from 216 a year ago.

Lexus is number one with 120 problems on average. Mitsu comes in at number 12 at 197.

There are a total of 37 makes (brands) on the list
    an improvement in quality, then, wouldn't you? I don't recall where Mitsu was last year in this study but I don't think they were even in the top half of carmakers as far as total numbers of problems on average goes.

In my area Mitsu is running some ads which tout their "Phenomenal Four". Lancer, Eclipse, Outlander and Galant.

It's basicly a way to brag about the MIVEC engines on those vehicles. They don't tell you what MIVEC does or even what it is though.

The ad has a tone like the beginning of a "superhero" movie with camera angles that make it look like the cars are flying. I think the ads are kind of cute but is the public so dumb that they wouldn't understand a more technical explaination?

I love the MIVEC heads on my Eclipse. There is a noticable increase in power just when you need it above 4000 RPM. The only problem is that by the time you hit 4000 you're already doing 80. :)

I gotta say that if I was the sort of bloke that didn't study cars on the net before they came out Mitsubishi's commercials would help starting me focus on the Lancer, Eclipse or Outlander SUV. I don't mind this latest "Phenomenal Four" deal going, but, like I say, commercials can only edumacate us so much, eh?

It's about time to take my '08 Lancer GTS in for another 'Auto Butler' paint polishing and protectant treatment. This will be the third one applied.

And by the time I go in there, I'm almost happy to pay them the $9.95 to clean the car real well beforehand, too. :P With the nasty bug guts accumulated on the front of my baby. :D

Mitsubishi has released the first images of its new Racing Lancer rally car, ahead of its motorsport debut in round six of the 2008 FIA Cross-Country Rally World Cup this October. The vehicle combines elements from both the new Lancer sedan and previous Pajero rally vehicles, and features a sportback profile as seen in the recently previewed Lancer Sportback five-door.

Developed as a cross-country rally car, the Racing Lancer is also being groomed to make a splash at the 2009 Dakar Rally. The Dakar Rally’s move from Africa to South America will prove an interesting challenge to the new Racing Lancer, and Mitsubishi is hopeful of a podium finish following the successful trial period of the new engine. Piloting the vehicle will be Stéphane Peterhansel, the Dakar’s most successful competitor with a total of nine outright wins.

The Racing Lancer is powered by a 3.0L turbocharged V6 diesel race engine, designed to raise Mitsubishi’s diesel profile - in much the same way that Audi did with its R10 Le Mans car. When developing the powertrain, engineers modified the layout of the previous-generation V6 design to improve cooling efficiency and also upgraded the turbocharger to improve both power delivery and reliability.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mitsubishi/2009-mitsubishi-racing-lancer-ar60814.ht- - ml

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z245/mberescik/Mitsubishi_Racing_Lancer_Motor- Au-1.jpg

Good stuff chelentano. Mitsu is a beast in the rally world. It seems like they would really trumpet their success in more advertisements. The old "race on Sunday, sell on Monday" adage would do their image a world of good in my opinion.
    once again, not everyone spends ump-teen hours researching not only the car but the company that builds the car. So, I agree with you, the average American sitting in front of the tube munching on chips doesn't know that Mitsubishi is a behemoth in Rally Racing. If you take some time to study their racing history you'd be blown away by the number of wins they've amassed. Then they look at these designs and see how they could better the Lancer and Outlander, etc. production vehicles with the racing installation/parts ideas and formats. Not a tough concept to grasp, but, most Americans don't know this. The EVO series of racy road-rocket cars has helped Mitsu's image immensely, though.

So, yes, I have seen Mitsubishi mention this format in their American TV and magazine ads before, but, some intense racing footage may be in order, eh? With some more information on this. Some Americans in Arizona apparently know about Mitsubishi's, because after I bought my '08 Lancer GTS I had some co-workers tell me that my Lancer would last forever, focusing on the engine/powertrain primarily, in their comments.

Has anyone seen any info on a suposed paint quality problem with Mitsubishi cars? I was having a chat with a friend who thought that the company was being deluged with complaints about paint peeling and chipping at very low milage.

Any truth to these stories? Is there a recall I missed?

I've seen some griping about it in the Endeavor and Galant forums. Not sure what conditions the cars were subjected too though. Some people are saying they're gonna issue class action law suits, but they're not saying if they ever wash/wax the cars.
    "...they're not saying if they ever wash/wax the cars..."

The story I'm hearing is that some customers are seeing the paint flake right off the cars after even one trip on a gravel road. Even with no maintaince at all I wouldn't expect to see that.

My old Chrysler, for example, is 12 years old now and I have never done anything special except to run it through the car wash. The paint has faded somewhat but is not peeling or chipping.

I'll look at the forums you mentioned and see if there is any info. Thanks.

Hmm. I wonder if the paint problems are primarily with the US built rigs?
    September 3, 2008 -- CYPRESS, Calif. --
    Mitsubishi Motors today announced total August 2008 sales of 9,200.

Galant sales were 2,976, which is the largest month for Galant since August 2007.

August 2008 Lancer Evolution sales were up 228 percent over August 2007 sales.

Mitsubishi's total August 2008 sales were down 29 percent, compared to August 2007 (13,020 sales), which was the largest August sales month in four years.

Click here for the source website... Mitsu August Sales
    thanks for those. As to the paint issues, yes, I have read of these right here on the Edmunds Lancer forums. I have a scrape and a few small-ish chips, but I also am armed with a Mitsubishi-sourced paint stick in Rally Red($9.95+tax). I will some day go out and try that baby out on my nicks. Basically I don't have the paint chip problem, but feel for those that do. All new world order Lancer's are built and painted in Japan, so we can't blame it on American worker-produced Japanese Mitsubishi's.

"...As to the paint chip issues..."

Since I was told about this issue by a friend I did some quick research on the internet (where you know everything said is the truth). Needless to say there are some folks out there with all sorts of axes to grind.

The complaints seem to center mainly on cars painted black, particularly those located in southern states or coastal (salt) areas. I've seen some pictures and they ain't pretty.

There were a lot of posters with last generation Galants and Eclipse models (American built) and some new model Lancer owners (Japan). So it seems if there is a problem it is across the board.

I'm glad I didn't buy a black one. :cry:

So far I haven't seen any official response from Mitsu.

hey, you're right on with that research and it does recall some of the stuff to mind that I've read in the last several months. Just forgotten. :cry:

How does this lack of recalling-to-mind information thing happen? Age progression? :shades:

It can't be construed as particularly good news, though, can it? I hope those Mitsu owners get compensation and a decent black paint job back. That's really a burn to them. And, I hope that Mitsubishi figures out and fixes this fumbling of painting their cars black issue going on here.

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Some Outlander owners have also complained about paint chipping. It happens mostly on the lower part in front of the rear wheel. It seems the front wheel shoots gravel, sand or whatever on that part of the vehicle.

Some owners have fitted large mud flaps to stop this from happening. It seems to occur more often on the XLS models with wider tires.

I haven't had the problem on my '07 LS, I don't have mudflaps, but I also don't drive on sandy or gravel roads.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    yep, and I have read of people putting those 3M clear thin plastic coverings down on their paint surfaces. I would be leary of stretching one of those sheets out and putting it on, getting it to fit just right, though. I have put door side moulding on two of my cars myself. On my '99 Kia Sephia, the inspiration for my Edmunds nickname, and on my '01 Kia Sportage 4X4. It more or less looked good when done and protected our Kias' doors from damage.

But those clear protective coverings, man, I'd consider paying someone to pop that material on for me. Unless the manufacturer could convince me that their product is "easy to apply." Yeah, right.

Yep, the Mitsubishi Lancer owners were complaining of the paint chipping down on the sides of their Lancer's. I think I'm fortunate to just have a few incidental blips that I can paint over. I should get my fanny out there to paint them, probably not good to leave little paint chips or nicks open for a long time, eh?

Mitsu September sales down 39%. That's gotta hurt.

I should have waited to buy my Eclipse.