Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• I've seen some griping about it in the Endeavor and Galant forums. Not sure what conditions the cars were subjected too though. Some people are saying they're gonna issue class action law suits, but they're not saying if they ever wash/wax the cars.
  • "...they're not saying if they ever wash/wax the cars..."

The story I'm hearing is that some customers are seeing the paint flake right off the cars after even one trip on a gravel road. Even with no maintaince at all I wouldn't expect to see that.

My old Chrysler, for example, is 12 years old now and I have never done anything special except to run it through the car wash. The paint has faded somewhat but is not peeling or chipping.

I'll look at the forums you mentioned and see if there is any info. Thanks.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• Hmm. I wonder if the paint problems are primarily with the US built rigs?
  • September 3, 2008 -- CYPRESS, Calif. --
    Mitsubishi Motors today announced total August 2008 sales of 9,200.

Galant sales were 2,976, which is the largest month for Galant since August 2007.

August 2008 Lancer Evolution sales were up 228 percent over August 2007 sales.

Mitsubishi's total August 2008 sales were down 29 percent, compared to August 2007 (13,020 sales), which was the largest August sales month in four years.

Click here for the source website... Mitsu August Sales
  • thanks for those. As to the paint issues, yes, I have read of these right here on the Edmunds Lancer forums. I have a scrape and a few small-ish chips, but I also am armed with a Mitsubishi-sourced paint stick in Rally Red($9.95+tax). I will some day go out and try that baby out on my nicks. Basically I don't have the paint chip problem, but feel for those that do. All new world order Lancer's are built and painted in Japan, so we can't blame it on American worker-produced Japanese Mitsubishi's.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• "...As to the paint chip issues..."

Since I was told about this issue by a friend I did some quick research on the internet (where you know everything said is the truth). Needless to say there are some folks out there with all sorts of axes to grind.

The complaints seem to center mainly on cars painted black, particularly those located in southern states or coastal (salt) areas. I've seen some pictures and they ain't pretty.

There were a lot of posters with last generation Galants and Eclipse models (American built) and some new model Lancer owners (Japan). So it seems if there is a problem it is across the board.

I'm glad I didn't buy a black one. :cry:

So far I haven't seen any official response from Mitsu.

• hey, you're right on with that research and it does recall some of the stuff to mind that I've read in the last several months. Just forgotten. :cry:

How does this lack of recalling-to-mind information thing happen? Age progression? :shades:

It can't be construed as particularly good news, though, can it? I hope those Mitsu owners get compensation and a decent black paint job back. That's really a burn to them. And, I hope that Mitsubishi figures out and fixes this fumbling of painting their cars black issue going on here.

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 903
    Some Outlander owners have also complained about paint chipping. It happens mostly on the lower part in front of the rear wheel. It seems the front wheel shoots gravel, sand or whatever on that part of the vehicle.

Some owners have fitted large mud flaps to stop this from happening. It seems to occur more often on the XLS models with wider tires.

I haven't had the problem on my '07 LS, I don't have mudflaps, but I also don't drive on sandy or gravel roads.
  • yep, and I have read of people putting those 3M clear thin plastic coverings down on their paint surfaces. I would be leary of stretching one of those sheets out and putting it on, getting it to fit just right, though. I have put door side moulding on two of my cars myself. On my '99 Kia Sephia, the inspiration for my Edmunds nickname, and on my '01 Kia Sportage 4X4. It more or less looked good when done and protected our Kias' doors from damage.

But those clear protective coverings, man, I'd consider paying someone to pop that material on for me. Unless the manufacturer could convince me that their product is "easy to apply." Yeah, right.

Yep, the Mitsubishi Lancer owners were complaining of the paint chipping down on the sides of their Lancer's. I think I'm fortunate to just have a few incidental blips that I can paint over. I should get my fanny out there to paint them, probably not good to leave little paint chips or nicks open for a long time, eh?

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,686
    Mitsu September sales down 39%. That's gotta hurt.

I should have waited to buy my Eclipse.

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 903
    Looks like almost all the automakers are pretty much in the same boat.

They came out with the rebates soon after I bought my Outlander, then the year end discounts soon after that. At least I got decent money for my trade in, it probably wouldn't be worth crap now.
  • Tonight - October 4th - an agreement was reached between UAW local 2488 and Mitsubishi Motors North America.

A contract was ratified between the local and Mitsubishi (54% vs 46%) where in exchange for some wage and benefit cuts Mitsubishi agreed to guarantee no plant closing or involuntary lay offs. This new contract is in effect until October 2012.

I'm thinking that in the next 4 years they are going to plan on some major model changes. It seems improbable that they would continue putting out updated versions of the current models.

Hopefully the concept RA? Lancer Sportback? Completely redesigned Galant (concept ZT) Maybe even the MIEV.
  • hey, great news about the Normal, IL Mitsu plant!

As to what's heading down the pipeline, wow, Mitsubishi is busy, but, the news I am reading is for Mitsubishi vehicles built for the UK. All kinds of Lancer variants are going to export there(I would include other countries, too, it's just that I have been reading of plans for the UK lately) including the new Lancer Sportback, the latest EVO 10 and Lancer Ralliarts, and the UK is getting the new Colt model.

But for us, well, I really don't know if the U.S. will be getting the Lancer Sportback or not. Obviously we have the new Lancer ES, GTS, etc., and the new Lancer Ralliart and the new EVO 10. The new '09 Galant is out with some taillight and front grille enhancements. I saw one 2 days ago in town here and it looks good. But the completely re-designed Galant(concept ZT) that looks as long as an old '68 Buick LeSabre, that car I am not clear on if it is in the works, too. That one needs more research, because it hasn't been discussed anywhere that I have found, about Mitsu's decision on actual production for that car. I would say it's a go, though. The Galant is long overdue for a re-design.

The Concept RA is the new crossover with the Lancer-like front nose? I like the looks of that car and it may be 2010 before we get it imported here but I believe we are getting that car, too.

And the Mitsubishi i-MIEV all-electric car is going to be released in Japan in 2009 and will be here in the U.S. in 2010. That is confirmed, too, BTW. Lots of new Mitsubishi material coming down the pipeline.

And I happen to love my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS today even more than I did in Mar.of 2007 when I purchased the car. Delightful automobile, and a fun car to drive and enjoy looking at. I judge the car together with the 1965 Ford Mustang as my two favorite car body designs of any class from any carmaker from any period of carbuilding, ever. Period.

• Yep. I'm glad that an agreement was realized, too. I'm also glad that we don't have to pay for it.
    I think that Mitsu will start to use the Lancer platform for cars being built in Normal. Seems like the Galant and Eclipse can easily fit on a modified version of that platform. Looks like the Outlander now makes the Endeavor redundant. Now if Mitsu can just make a case for building AWD coupes again...
  • it would kind of make sense for Mitsubishi to use the Normal, IL, plant to build Lancer's or vehicles using the Lancer platform, too. Because the Lancer and Outlander use the exact same platform!

Yeah, I agree, I have the utmost confidence in Mitsubishi to gain popularity in the U.S. I have been taken by the brand since I bought my '08 Lancer GTS, and up to that point had always read about their racing successes. So I knew there was something there worth investigating.

Let's hope to see interest in Mitsubishi products increase here in the U.S. Besides a very good product in their vehicles they also offer an unbeatable Warranty, like Kia and Hyundai.

"...it would make sense for Mitsubishi to use the Normal IL. plant to build Lancer's..."

It would make excellent sense. From what I've read, Mitsu could have sold a lot more Lancers in the US if they had the capacity to build more. Worldwide demand is out-stripping supply.

I wonder what it would take to re-tool for a different platform at Normal. Would it interfere with the PA platform production or could they do both? At present, the plant is just limping along on one shift.

• what do you mean by the PA platform at the Normal, IL, Mitsubishi plant?

"...what do you mean by the PA platform?..."

That's the Project America platform on which the Galant, Eclipse and Endeavor are built.

I'm not knowledgeable on auto production but it just seems that there might be some problems building say, a Galant and a Lancer on the same line.

It would be nice if they could though. :)

• neither am I, but I think you're right, they'd have to remodel and retool that line to make that much of a model switch. If things continue as they are, and Mitsubishi continues to need fuel-efficients to sell to the American masses, then I think something like this might very well come about.

I have a feeling their electric microcar, the i-MIEV, will be built in Japan come hell or high water, whatever and whichever the stinkin' economy throws at everybody. ;)

• psychogunpsychogun Posts: 125
    Hello there fellow Mitsubishi enthusiasts.

I have a few tidbits for you. Years are Calendar year.

2010 Outlander - Fall 2009
    http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080911.010/mitsubishi-outlander-facelift-spy-photos- - - - -
    Very likely that there will be a diesel variant available.

Lancer Flex Fuel - 2009 (announced but not confirmed) http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/pressrelease/e/corporate/detail1649.html

Lancer Diesel - 2010 (official for Europe but not yet confirmed for U.S.) http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/pressrelease/e/corporate/detail1616.html

All of the following per Autoweek http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070823/FREE/70822001/1024/FREE

2009 "Baby Outlander" based on Concept cX, AutoWeek erroneously refers to it as the Pajero iO.

2009 Endeavor will be available January/February 2009, but, per Automotive News, will be dropped by early 2011.

Lancer SportBack and SportBack RalliArt- Early 2009 via FY2007 Full Year release

Full redesign for Galant (10th generation) - 2010???

Next gen Eclipse - 2011???
  • Psycho. Thanks for the updates. The refreshed Outlander appears to look mean as hell. I think the new Mitsu grill will work well on their SUVs.

Elgatoloco, Oldfarmer and Iluvmy... looks as though our speculation from earlier this week might be accurate for the most part.
    "...Next gen Eclipse - 2011???..."

Gotta start saving my pennies! :)

• contraption. It leans downward towards the front of the car and has the Lancer-like front end "fighter-jet" look. The Baby Outlander, eh? So Mitsu isn't saying yet if they're going to produce the cX or not? Seems the cX would be successful in many world markets.

I looked back a few posts and was referring to the cX as the RA. Humm...rcpax, could you cruise by here and drop some pictures with their concept Mitsubishi names for us? :shades:

"...was referring to the cX as the RA..."

Isn't the RA concept the next Eclipse with the diesel? I'd like some pics of that as well. :)

• psychogunpsychogun Posts: 125
    Sorry for the confusion.
    The production version of the Concept cX is confirmed and will be brought to market in mid-to-late 2009. The unknown is if and when this dubbed "baby-Outlander" will make it to the U.S. market.
    I personally think that Mitsubishi will bring this car to North America, as well as the next gen COLT, which is expected in late-to-early 2010.
    BTW, the face-lifted version of the COLT shown in Paris (is NOT the next gen) is for Europe only and will carry the model for 2 more years there (until they are due for the redesign in 2010/2011).
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I thought you folks would be interested in reading this article about Mitsubishi:

TOKYO -- Mitsubishi Motors Corp. returned to profit in the fiscal first half, but tumbling sales in the United States led the carmaker to trim its full-year earnings outlook.

Mitsubishi now expects operating profit to fall to ¥50.0 billion ($471.7 million) in the full year ending March 31, 2009, worse than its earlier forecast of $566.0 million. The new target represents a 54.0 percent decrease from the year before.

North America remains a trouble spot. Sales there also are expected to be worse than forecast. Volume is seen sliding 17.5 percent to 132,000 vehicles in the current fiscal year.

Earlier, the company had predicted sales would drop to 145,000 units.

Announcing results for the April-September period, Mitsubishi said it booked net income of ¥12.8 billion ($120.8 million), compared with a loss of ¥5.6 billion a year earlier.

Revenue fell 7.6 percent, but operating profit rose 35.1 percent to $239.6 million. Sales slid 13 percent to 602,000 units, with more cars being sold only in Europe.

The profit increase arose partly from the yen's being weaker than expected against the dollar.

Looking ahead, Mitsubishi expects global sales to decline 6.2 percent to 1.228 million vehicles this year because of the global credit crunch and economic slowdown.

Net income is seen plunging 42.4 percent to $188.7 million.

Definitely good news for Mitsubishi to turn a profit in this down market. i gave up on them as dead in the water a couple of years ago.
  • Downtown Freddy Brown! Yeah, Mitsu is doing better than I expected, too.

I think Mitsubishi should go ahead and bring the redesigned Colt here for 2010-2011. Small and economical is what is going to work, but, it is true that gasoline prices are actually dropping. Still, the market for subcompacts is promising and the Colt fills that spot.

Can't wait for their i-MIEV to come here in 2010, either. That is one well-designed rig that needs to come about. I would ask for further range before I thought about parting with dollars for one, however.

"...Definitely good news..."

I'm confused by your figures. Are you saying that Mitsu in North America (MMNA) will make a profit or is that for their world wide operations?

No matter how bad they may be doing, it has to be better than Detroit.

• Mitsu has finally included the Lancer RA on its website. Looks mighty fine to me. There are four things that I don't like about it:
    1. No Sportback model (yet)
    2. No leather package
    3. No sunroof
    4. Points 1 - 3 are irrelevant because I can't afford to buy a car right now.
  • Mitsubishi Motors October Sales Improve From Prior Month

November 3, 2008 -- CYPRESS, Calif. --
    Mitsubishi Motors today announced October 2008 sales of 7,486, a slight improvement (1.4%) over September sales.

Most models showed increases from the prior month:

Galant sales were up 24 percent from September.
    Outlander sales were up 17 percent from September.
    Endeavor sales were up 12 percent from September.
    Lancer Evolution sales were up 42 percent from September.
    Raider sales were up 24 percent from September.
    Similar to the rest of the automotive industry, Mitsubishi October sales were down 19 percent compared to October 2007. There were however some increases:

Galant sales were up 64 percent compared to October 2007.
    Lancer Evolution sales were up more than 800 percent compared to October 2007.

Mitsu sales info