Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    maybe elgatoloco or rcpax can fill us in on that entire last paragraph of yours. I don't know.

Our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is running like an absolute top and I grow fonder of the car every day. It's absolutely gorgeous and is now my favorite car body of all time, pushing aside the '65 Ford Mustang it used to share that honor with. Lovin' it!

The tires I bought in Dec.'08(Pirelli P-Zero Nero P215/45R18 M+S Pinna's)are great tires. I have found my favorite tire and that is not always an easy thing to find. They grip like champs and are as smooth as silk on the road. Absolute dreamcake tires. :shades:

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• psychogunpsychogun Posts: 121
    The Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder, Endeavor, and Galant are based on the PS platform (a.k.a. Project America).
    Production of all four models has resumed.
    http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/05/23/news/doc4a18cd4a73ecf344189241.txt-
    You may recall the 2008 Concept RA, which many feel could be the next Eclipse. http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2008/01/2008-detroit-auto-show-mitsubishi-- concept-ra.html
    With Mitsubishi focusing more on small, fuel-efficient vehicles, there are no guarantees we'll see a redesigned Eclipse... Ironically, strong sales of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe could spur Mitsubishi to continue the Eclipse nameplate...
    As for the 3.8l V6 (6G75 and 6G75 MIVEC), this engine is also used in the Montero/Pajero/Shogun globally. The engine is a very old design and this is likely the final iteration of it. Mitsubishi may replace it with a bored out version of the 6B31 3.0l V6 found in the Outlander down the road (they may even add GDI)... That's pure speculation however...
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Posts: 272
    Thanks for the post Psychogun. Do you happen to know if Hyundai's 2.0T mill is based on Mitsu's 4B11 unit found in the Evo? Seems like they (the engines) would be related since the two companies have shared technology for years.
    a hybrid and bring it here by 2013.

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1021672_breaking-news-mitsubishi-to-sell-plu- - g-in-hybrid-version-of-i-miev-in-2013

Information is scarce, but the source is reliable as Mitsubishi announced at its annual shareholders meeting yesterday is Tokyoe that they intend to sell a plug-in hybrid version of the I-MiEV in 2013.

According to the company, the vehicle is in the plans at this point. Why a plug-in version? It would significantly reduce the cost of the vehicle and give the added benefit of the range of the gasoline engine. No word is out as to what the hybrid set up would consist of.

Little else is known at this point, but we will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

Source: Bloomberg.com

Very nice.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,274
    "...The PA are no longer being produced..."

I didn't know that. It's sad but I think the Project America platform was too heavy for the current mania for fuel economy. Very safe cars but heavy.

You say the Eclipse is going away. What about that RA diesel concept they were showing a while back?

"...speculate on the future of the 3.8L mill?..."

The 3.8L from what I have read is based on a very old design which has been around for years with many versions, some as small as 2.0L. The big problem I see is the cast iron block which I think puts an extra 75 pounds on the car. If they can't build it with aluminium I don't see a future for it.

Having said that, I find the 3.8L in my Eclipse to be smooth as silk and a real [non-permissible content removed]-kicker. Say what you will, Mitsubishi makes one fine running engine. I have a 2.5L 6cyl. in my old Chrysler which is of the same design. At 115K miles it still runs like new and uses NO OIL between changes. :)

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

hybrid. All-right! I am now going to have a way to buy the i-MiEV, which I love, and still be able to go across the country in it. Or, at least to L.A. or Tucson on vacation. Actually, Tucson is only 80 miles west of us. That'll now be a piece of cake.

I can now stay loyal to Mitsubishi and buy one of these new 2010 i-MiEV hybrids. I am so excited, because I love the i-MiEV design, both engineering inside and body outside. Yahoo!

I love it when a carmaker makes my purchasing decisions easier for me. :blush:

• psychogunpsychogun Posts: 121
    My pleasure Mike.
    The 4B11T is one of Mitsubishi's versions of the GEMA global engine.
    Contrary to what most automotive mags say, only the basic block design of the engine was created by Hyundai. Heads, internals, VVT/piston/injection systems, forced induction, etc. were all manufacturer specific. Without any disrespect for Hyundai, let's not forget that much of what Hyundai learned about engines came from Mitsubishi since the late 70's.
    As such, the 4B11T found in the Lancer RalliArt and Lancer Evolution X are only related to the Hyundai 2.0l Turbo via the block. The variable valve timing system, turbo, piping, internals, etc. are all different.
    Yeah. The pure e-car version costs way too much for ordinary public consumption. I agree, the hybrid makes more sense for now. I'm glad that Mitsu is working hard to stay in America. Seems like some people want Mitsu to die and go away -- I just don't get it. Competition makes the products we buy that much better.
    Oldfarmer,
    I'm with you. I just don't see how that 3.8 is gonna live much longer if they don't covert it over to aluminum. Even, if they do that, I think it's too big for cars based on the Lancer platform. Either way, I hope the Eclipse lives on for years to come.

I forgot that you had a Chrysler with an earlier version of that engine. I used to love the Sebring coupe.

I drove a used 06 Eclipse GT (manual) last week. Before I drove it, the sales guy said, "You're not gonna believe how powerful this thing is. And it's smooth and sounds great when you start to get on it." He was right. I'm not sure if I could contain myself if I drove it everyday.

Psychogun - thanks for the info.
    choice for new world order Mitsubishi Lancer GTS'.

Lookin' good, huh? I think the reason it works is those very cool Seattle Sonic 10-spokers. :shades:

With how fun to drive this car is because it is designed and built by experts to hug and hold the road, this car is the automotive pinnacle in sporty, fun-to-drive cars that also look so very hot and sexy.

This is it my car-crazy buddies. :D

I agree. That's a good look in silver. Have you driven the 2.4L yet?
    no, I have not, but there is a very aggressive salesman or two at my Avondale, AZ, dealer who would love me to. Last time I was in there I looked at a car just like mine but it would have had the 2.4L because it was an '09.

This was a very cool looking '09 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS because it was in the Mitsubishi paint shade of "Ignition Orange", much like that new Eclipse orange. Nice looking car, it had the automatic CVT tranny, too. And it had the same Sun and Sound package mine has.

It just don't get no betta than this, gentlemen. ;)

July 1, 2009 --CYPRESS, Calif. --
    Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced June 2009 sales of 4,362. June sales showed a modest increase over May of this year. However, this month over month sales increase defies the typical seasonality trend for this period.

"While June was a challenging sales month for automakers, there are indications that U.S. auto sales are entering a long, slow turn in the right direction. We are encouraged by the improved May and June sales figures showing a month over month increase, and hope to strengthen this momentum in the coming months," said MMNA Executive Vice President of Operations John Koenig.

Koenig said there's additional good news for MMNA on the product front. "The five-door Lancer Sportback Ralliart and GTS that we're adding to our lineup this summer are being enthusiastically received by dealers," he added. "This is an exciting extension of the award-winning Lancer family of economical and fun-to-drive cars."

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, and marketing operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of approximately 420 dealers. For more information, contact the Mitsubishi Motors News Bureau at (888) 560-6672 or visit media.mitsubishicars.com or just click here
    is this the new Ralliart Lancer in Ignition Orange, or is it a new EVO X in Ignition Orange? It doesn't have the EVO X wheel wells, it must be the new Lancer Ralliart. Good lookin' vehicle.

I focus so much on my Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and don't pay attention to the other Lancers. Is this the Ralliart Lancer for 2009?

Wow, we're both up pretty early in the AM this AM. I go to work later this AM at 6:00, work four hours and then go on my week off. Whoo-hoo!

The '08 Lancer has an appointment tomorrow AM at Jim Click Mitsubishi in Tucson. Oil change and I'll probably get a tire rotation, too, the Pirelli P-Zero Nero's I've had since December, put about 10,000 miles on them, and haven't had them rotated yet. I am a believer in the wisdom of having your radials rotated, too. They just opened up their Mitsu store, though Jim Click has like 12 other Tucson car dealerships. He's huge, one of the nation's most successful car dealership conglomerates. Which is really good news for my Mitsubishi future. I plan on researching an all-electric or more likely a hybrid i-MiEV round about 2013.

Once can never start planning their next new car purchase too soon, eh? :shades:

roll, here's another one.

The car looks good in this color, too, and I'm not very familiar with the steel metallic grey this appears to be. I sure like their Ignition Orange, I like it a lot. ;)

Yep. That's the Ralliart, new for 09. The wheels, front bumper, and the tiny insignia on the left (driver's side) of the front grill are indicators in your pic. The Sportback (hatchback) returns late this summer as a 2010 model and it will have a Ralliart version as well. I'm very interested in the Sportback.

A new Mitsu store has opened? WOW! As you stated, that is good news for Mitsu.

Hope that everyone had a good holiday.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    That is a sharp Lancer. That's cool they're coming out with the Sportback, too.
    yeah, I took the Lancer in for service at Jim Click. L-O-F, tire rotation, and new wiper blade refills. Also a good washing, the car looked like new when I got it afterwards. They did a good job, I spoke of the virtues of the Mitsubishi name for a while with a salesman.

After a while I decided to walk to the Park Place Mall, by favorite fun-time Mall in Tucson. But it was hot, I only had time to walk quickly there and then shop for tenny runners at Sears. Then I went to Border's Books and read up on some cool car magazines, including one called Evo that I recommend to y'all. Check one out sometime. Had a good weekend, including some fun tennis with my son here in sunny Willcox. I love tennis, it's great for your bod. The more you work the more it helps your body out. :P

according to their CEO.

Their plant in Normal, Illinois is only running at 10% capacity and may soon have to shut down, production there has declined 83% this year.

Despite the fact that current Mitsubishi models aren't exactly hot sellers in the US market, the company has high hopes for their upcoming pure battery electric car. The i-MiEV has already started mass production in Japan where it goes on sale this month. The five seater will retail for $49,000 and has a 100 mile driving range.

Mitsubishi Motors president Osamu Masuko says “We will never give up the U.S. market. The U.S. will return to being the world’s biggest market.”

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1022119_mitsubishi-could-be-forced-leave-the- -us-and-take-its-i-miev-electric-car-with-it

iluvmy...
    Great post. Glad that Mitus is comitted to the US. Looks like the Normal facility with have to re-tool at some point to start producing the Lancer and Outlander. I was looking at Mitsu's global website and the current lineup no longer includes the Eclipse, Galant, or Endeavor.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,158
    "Little guys Suzuki and Mitsubishi demonstrated during the half why they might want to seriously consider the advice of some Japanese industry experts who advocate they get out of America. Suzuki's sales plummeted 60.2 percent; Mitsubishi's were off 50.9 percent."

AutoObserver

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

yep, that would make sense for the Normal plant to switch to what sells the most Mitsubishi-wise in the U.S. Saves on importing tariffs.

I have a concern that the 2010 i-MiEV might cost way too much for U.S. consumers reeling from a near-depression over here, though. Lower it! Of course, the BO $7,500 "green car purchase rebate" should come in to play when buying a Japanese-built i-MiEV. At least part of the $7,500 should apply. I'm more than a little interested in a Mitsubishi i-MiEV.

"...no longer includes the Eclipse..."

:cry: :cry: :cry:

On the other hand, I now own a "Classic" which will become increasingly rare.

:) :)

"...Mitsubishi's were off 50.9 percent..."

Yeah, but even Honda has been off 25% lately.

uhh, yeah, but your car doesn't even come close to being a classic to me. Not that it's not cool, it's that it is so new and so cool. Hot and fresh from the oven, even.

OK, I'll stop. :blush:

• elgatolocoelgatoloco Posts: 92
    Not sure that the analysts encouraging Mitsubishi and Suzuki to leave the U.S. market are doing them any favors.

Suzuki was doing fine when gas was $4.00 a gallon. Yes, they had some re-badging problems concerning Daewoo's but they appear to be past that now. As far as Mitsubishi is concerned, president Masuko says that " The U.S. will once again be the worlds largest automobile market." Does he believe that? I don't think anyone can say for sure but sales are bound to improve eventually. if Mitsu and Suzuki cut and run now it could be a slippery slope to oblivion. Mitsubishi has already signed several Memorandums of Understanding here in Oregon and parts of Canada concerning EV trials and infrastructure needs. MoU's are basically "deals". Most companies don't sign MoU's lightly, especially with state or local governments, and if you are a worldwide corporation it's a bad idea to renege on them, which is what Mitsubishi would be doing if they left North America. The timing of this "advice" seems odd when it was barely six weeks ago since Mitsubishi made so many announcements concerning the worldwide distribution of their MiEV. I have said before that I don't believe that EV's will change the way we drive overnight but the technology represented by these cars is extremely important.Consider this, what was the distance the Wright Brothers flew at Kitty Hawk that first time? Twenty years later and we were flying around the world. The MiEV is a huge step to raise the stature of Mitsubishi in this North American market. Once again, it won't happen overnight but Mitsubishi needs to keep a production and sales presence here in America.

Quite frankly, I think they have made some poor decisions regarding the market demands here. The Colt variants should have been sent here years ago. Right now Fiat is planning on bringing over the tiny 500, a car smaller than the Colt, to ostensibly save Chrysler. The bulk of the automotive world seems to accept this as a wise decision, yet Mitsubishi still seems to think Americans won't buy their small cars. Their diesel engines offer stellar performance as well. Will they continue to sit on their hands while other companies corner the market or might they finally decide to help their dealers become truly competitive with Toyota Daimler etc..etc..

One more thing, and this is no fault of Mitsubishi ( unless ad payola is the culprit ) is the bias against them in the automotive press - tell me if you think I'm putting out a conspiracy vibe here - My 08 Outlander is the finest SUV I've ever owned, and I've owned plenty, yet most reviews routinely dismiss Mitsubishi vehicles as "a near miss" or "close but no cigar". I certainly hope the 2010 Outlander gets some fair press when it arrives here, or will they forget about the world-class AWD system and moan about the awkward shape of the cup holders?
    I haven't read much about the Outlander but our editors seem to like it ok. And the 8.0 editor's rating isn't that far off from the 8.7 consumer ratings (sometimes there's a good sized disconnect there).

But, as you say, they've been out-marketed in the US in spite of the loyalty of the owners or the reviews (especially compared to Kia and especially Hyundai). A halo car can't hurt but they may be a decade out on widespread adoption of the electric car. The Prius has been around since '97 in Japan, and it's just now gotten to the point where most people consider it sort of a normal car.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yep. I agree with you elgatoloco.

I wonder if Mitsu was trying to give the North American arm some freedom in design/development. I think that Mitsu was planning for Normal to build cars for this market soley and to import only few models from Japan. I would think that the contracts with the Normal plant had some type of stipulations that limited now many Mitsu's were imported into the US. Looks like the North American team missed the targets. I'm only speculating. This may be the reason why their other products didn't/haven't been introduced here. Whatever the case is, they need to get more of their global cars here soon. Hopefully, some will be built in the Normal facility.

The media is not kind to Mitsu at all. I don't get it either. I don't know if Mitsu's "press kits" are lacking the "impact" of the other car companies...
    The media is not kind to Mitsu at all.

There could be some of that going on - probably some memories of the sexual harassment case in the Normal manufacturing plant from a decade ago still in some reporters minds. Once you get hammered in the PR battles, it's hard to get back sometimes.

"...the bias against them in the automotive press..."

I've been saying that for years. I'm no rocket scientist when it comes to picking up subtle clues (just ask my wife) so when I notice a slant against Mitsu, it must be huge.

I've owned two cars with Mitsubishi engines and they are the smoothing running motors I've ever driven. That never gets mentioned even though I recall reading that BMW bought Mitsu engine technology to use in their own cars.

Maybe they need to increase the payola budget.