Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Electrical and Lighting Issues

2»

Comments

• tailendcharlietailendcharlie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Tacoma with exactly the same problem...how did you resolve the issue?

pls also reply to jmahoney@timesdispatch.com
  • wformanwforman Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    i have a 2004 toyota tacoma. the dome lite & map lite are not working. i had a friend try to wire into dome light for power for a dome lite in camper top. i found a rel squirrels nests. removed what he did but both lights are inop. 15 amp fuse under hood is good any suggestions?
  • thompson_mthompson_m Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Toyota tacoma. When i turn the lights on to drive at night my left hand blinker automatically comes on, doesnt blink, but stays still. Then when i drive during the day the left blinker blinks like normal but then it makes all the lights in my dash and my clock blink at the same rate as the blinker.
    Ive had people look at it but they have no idea whats causing it, any ideas?
  • 2009dblcab4x42009dblcab4x4 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 Tacoma suddenly lost the left front marker (illuminated when headlights are off) and the left front signal (same bulb for marker and signal, 2 filaments in bulb). The left signal blinks fast and the left rear signal is still working. Neither filament in the bulb appears to be blown.

HELP!
  • rayw7rayw7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 with the exact same problem. It's been driving me crazy all summer but haven't had time to bring it anywhere. Have you found a fix for the problem since your post?
  • angietoyotaangietoyota Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure out what the problem was? My truck 95 Tacoma is doing the same thing. Also, when my headlights are off and I use the left blinker, the right hand brake light flashes. It's quite odd. If you have any ideas, please let me know!
  • rayw7rayw7 Member Posts: 2
    Trailer Wiring Harness:
    Give the wiring harness for the trailer hitch a good look. I found several potential sites of the problem because the harness was spliced into the truck wiring with the quick splice clips. So I just took the whole thing out and reinstalled it with the heat-shrink tubing and now everything works perfectly! Good luck!
  • skywalker1265skywalker1265 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Mboar. Did you find a fix for this? I've experienced this along with other symptoms such as the oil light and seat belt light staying on even with the key off. Any information you have would be appreciated. Thanks!!
  • anoleanole Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 6cyl xcab had all these things fail more or less at once. Fuses were blown, but I replaced them and still no joy. The fuses are still good. Also the lights under the fan dial and the light under the PRND12 indicator have become somewhat intermittent.
  • ptruckinptruckin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Tacoma. I was driving to work just the other day and hit a few pot holes pretty hard, all of a sudden my left blinker came on and stayed on. I'm thinking it has to be a loose connection. Did you ever find out what the root of the problem was? Please let me know, it is really annoying.
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    My 2009 quad-cab Tacoma, the headlights lense area in front of the daytime running lights have melted and cracked. I see this reported on other Toyota forums, so I thought I post it here. Check your headlights. Since my truck has 47k miles on it, Toyota will not replace lights. I feel this is a safety issue and have filled a complaint to the DOT safety site.
    Since new, the radio has been replaced, the rear spring and shocks were replaced, a recall on the floor mats, and a TSP on the steering clock spring. Oh well that about like the history of the 2001 Dakota that I sold to get my Tacoma. At least I got 20.75 mpg on my last fill-up.
  • smitty74smitty74 Member Posts: 1
    Three months out of warranty and with 34,000 miles I have fuel sensor light indicator issue with my 2009 Tacoma. When I asked Toyota if they would cover the repair cost of $300 they said no. Their response reminds me of how GM treated customers in the 80's. I haven't bought a GM product since then and plan to do the same with Toyota.
  • stumblesmcgeestumblesmcgee Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    I've encountered this reoccurring problem with the headlights/dashboard lights in my 2003 Toyota Tacoma where they'll go out when I'm driving. It happens 90% of the time during wet weather conditions (snow/rain). If I turn my headlights off and then turn then back on, they'll come back on. I've read several topics here where people have experienced problems with them randomly turning on, but I have the complete opposite problem. This proves to be a huge problem as it hinders my ability to drive at night.

More recently, I've noticed that sometimes the dashboard lights remain on when the headlights go out. Each time this happens, I simply turn them off and then turn them back on and the lights will come on again. There's definitely a short somewhere, but I have no idea where to start looking or who I could take it to to have it looked at without costing me an arm and a leg.

I did see a thread regarding looking at the trailer harness hookup near the rear license plate. The reason I'm thinking of starting there first as I have noticed that occasionally my right blinker light will go solid when I apply my breaks. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, however, which further solidifies in my mind that there's a short somewhere. Anyone else encountered this problem and have a fix?
  • stumblesmcgeestumblesmcgee Member Posts: 2
  • moserjmoserj Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma and the dashboard lights are not working great. The RPM gauge has not been lighting up for some time, but I can still get the Speedometer to light up.

Is there any easy fixes for this? I was wondering if the light went out, or if the electrical wires are corroding. I'm not sure though, because it also looks like some light is coming through.

I was wondering if there may be an easy fix.

Thanks!
  • 2003tacoma2003tacoma Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem: 2003 standard cab Tacoma, and long ago the dash lights would go out on occasion and I could slap the top of the console and they would come back on. At first, if I remember correctly, it was just half of the gauges, now it is everything. Now they are out completely all the time. I don't have a solution, but it must be either a short or a loose connection. I will look under the dash and see if I can spot anything.
  • page111page111 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma and the rear running lights and license plate lights are not working. the brake lights do work. I checked the fuses and wire connections (and connections in the fuse block) and all look ok. any ideas what could be causing this?