Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• zaheerzaheer Member Posts: 23
    I finally pulled the trigger on a 2009 CX-9 Grand Touring with the GT Assist Package (includes Nav, Backup Camera, & Remote Tailgate) and the Rear Entertainment System with Bose / Sirius. Here are the details:

MSRP - $40,015
    Sale Price - $35,495
    Financing - 0% for 36 months
    With Sales Tax, DMV and Doc Fee ($55) - $39,681 (out the door)

If I had not used the 0% financing, I would have gotten another $2,500 off. The 0% financing for the full price of the car (excluding tax and license) is worth more than $2,500.

I am hoping to get some of the Sales Tax back on my taxes at the end of the year (part of the Stimulus Package). Does anyone have information on how this works ?

I went through Edmunds to get Dealer Quotes from about 4 dealers. They were all responsive and provided prices on the phone. Since I knew the exact car I wanted, I ended negotiating on price only. Oakland Mazda gave the best price and were very easy to deal with. Everything was done on the phone with a scanned image of the Sticker and copy of the deal from his computer e-mailed to me. They didn't play any games but tried very hard to sell an extended warranty for $1,600+. It was an overall good buying experience with no surprises.
  • nuzynuzy Member Posts: 54
    The sales tax can be taken as a deduction, not a credit, so basically take the amount you paid in sales tax and multiply it by your tax rate and that's how much you will "get back" on your return.
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    Out the door: $39681
    Sale price: $35495
    Difference: $4186 in taxes and fees seems a bit steep - what state do you live in to pay that much? that's almost 12% of the price of the car...

currently looking for the same package you got (adding in wheel locks, roof rack, and splash guards) except no need to finance (will pay in cash) so if i can get another $2500 off the sale price you got (=$32995), i think i might take that deal. thanks for the tip!
    I made a small typo regarding MSRP. The actual MSRP was $41,015 not $40,015 as I stated earlier. Price paid was $35,495, so the discount off MSRP was about $5,500 with 0% financing.

Sales tax in California is now 9.75% in the county that I live in. DMV fees have also gone up to $495. The only extra fees were $55 for Doc Fee and $7.50 for Tire recycling.

The 0% APR for 36 months plus $1,500 Customer Cash seems to have been extended through July 31st according to the Mazda website, so I assume that the $4,000 allowance to dealers has also been extended. If that is the case, you should be able to get about $8,000 off MSRP when paying in cash or getting your own financing.
  • cj69cj69 Member Posts: 16
    I have requested internet quotes from a few dealers in my area (CT). So far they all are giving price of Invoice minus 4,000 OR rebate/special financing; but not both. This price is using S-Plan with no further negotiating. Has anyone encountered dealers going lower? I think it is an ok deal, but not a great deal.
  • darkstar2darkstar2 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 09 Grand Touring AWD with Moonroof/Bose, GT Assistance and Roof Rack options in MA. I took the $4,000 incentive. MSRP was $40,465. Price paid was $33,921. OTD was $35,936. I wanted to pull the trigger before the MA sales tax jumps from 5% to 6.25% on August 1.
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    That sounds like a pretty good deal. I got the same car last year at Sentry West in Shrewsbury for about the same price under S-Plan.

Last Friday, I just bought the wife a loaded GT AWD 09 CX-7 using the 4K cash back from Mazda and $1K loyalty from Sentry West too. Was pretty much the dealer invoice cost but didn't have to wait until Duvall's tax raise costs me more.

Welcome to the family.
  • sanjaynsanjayn Member Posts: 8
    Been shopping for a 3rd row SUV for a couple of weeks. Read CR, edmunds, KBB, cars.com and have ot shortlisted to the CX-9 or Veracruz. Went to a couple of dealers in MN and the best price i got for a 2009 Sport FWD with the PW6 power package (heated front seats,mirrors and Pwr driver) was $24,500. Plan to install leather in front seats for $800 (dealer quote) or $1195 for front and 2nd row. Does this sound like a good deal? Have one 16 month old and a 2nd on the way, so leather on the 2nd will get trashed anyway.

Also, is AWD a recommended option in Minneapolis? Several folks said not really, since the city does an swesome job of clearing the snow and my wife can work from home on the really bad days.
    I have had cloth and leather with a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old. Believe me, leather is easier to clean. Milk and juice wipe off leather much easier than cloth, which soaks them up. Either way, you can always buy a seat cover or put a towel down on the 2nd row seats to keep them from getting stained or ruined. Then again, the incremental $400 to get leather on the 2nd row if you are willing to spend $800 on the front doesn't seem too bad given you are spending $24,500 for the vehicle.
  • okidokiokidoki Member Posts: 5
    That was my price for the same vehicle in Houston, TX. They should do better than that in MN. I also got free oil change for couple years.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    cj69-

Buying a car for the S-Plan price is invoice. If a dealer submits an S-Plan coded sale to Mazda, the price cannot differ from what Mazda has designated as the S-Plan price.

When the dealer is audited by Mazda, and it is discovered that the sale price is more, or less then the actual invoice price on an S-Plan deal, the dealership can be subject to heavy fines or other forms of punishment due to breach of contract.

In Connecticut, CX-9 inventory is extremely low, especially the GT's. I would know, because I am a CT dealer. Dealers that I know of have not been willing to go under invoice to sell one, since there are not enough to go around. If you happen to get a dealer to go under invoice, then take it. More power to you!

BTW, what type of CX-9 are you looking for?
  • xrayzxrayz Member Posts: 6
    about to pull the trigger on a CX9 AWD sport with moonroof/bose, heated seats, backup camera and other extras. Using my own financing to use the 4k rebate

MSRP: 35,300
    Price: 28,000 +TTL

And for the poster in MN - get the AWD!
    i ask because i had been shopping for a Black Cherry GT AWD+Nav and it has been very hard to come by here in Northern NJ. i ended up getting one for 34900+TTL which i know is ~$1k more than TMV according to Edmunds but i had been to 4 dealerships that had one (including one 60 miles away in Long Island, NY) and they were ALL DEMOS with >1200miles on them. short of a blowout price (which i wasn't getting from any of them), i wasn't going to spend new car pricing on a demo model. what is it with owners/managers driving black cherry CX9 GTs around here? i know i could've gotten cheaper if i was flexible about the color but it was the only color my wife and i could agree on. oh well....
    Same issue here in Saint Louis area. They don't have any Black Cherry, and very few AWD GTs at all (I think maybe 2-3 total). I searched Chicago area and there are a few Black Cherry, but at least one of them is a 6800 mile demo! Most of the inventory is black or white, then silver. not much in the way of color options at all. Very frustrating.
  • jr7978jr7978 Member Posts: 2
    can you tell me what other extras and location? I have a $28K quote for the Sport, AWD, moonroof/bose and power heated seats. Looks like you got more options for same price. I'm in Chicago.
    Did you get 0% financing with the $34,900 + TTL price ?

I got a Black Cherry CX-9 with Navigation & Rear Entertainment (MSRP $41,015) about 2 weeks ago in the Bay Area for $35,495 + TTL with 0% Financing. If I had not taken the 0% the dealer was willing to reduce the price by another $2,500. Black Cherry CX-9s are very hard to come by. I went about it by searching inventory through the Mazda website then contacting the dealers through Edmunds. The dealer who gave me the best deal (Oakland Mazda) actually got the car from another dealer, Fremont Mazda. I was able to negotiate the price over the phone and get an e-mail with a copy of the Sticker and a screenshot of the deal from the salesman's computer before going to pickup the car. The July incentives are the same as June: $4,000 dealer cash or $1,500 rebate plus 0% financing. You also get an additional $1,000 rebate if you are a current Mazda owner. Most dealers in the Bay Area are giving $8k off MSRP (I was at one yesterday). If you take the 0% financing, you should get at least $5,500 off MSRP.
    that is the problem. i am paying cash (no financing) and still they would not go down. problem was i had already been at 4 dealerships all of whom quoted only slightly lower prices (<$1k less) but they were all demos (i don't want a demo). this one had only 2 miles on it (almost right off the boat). i also asked 3 other dealerships that didn't have black cherry GT AWD/Nav and they said they could look for it but they said it was such a rare color that they couldn't guarantee anything and none of them were willing to go under $34300 (why would i take that price with no guarantee of getting it?). i feel like i left no stone unturned...either way, it's fine...i can afford it, but it's hard to accept that so many have gotten it at a better price. goes to show much of this "game" of buying a car is a little luck and timing (especially when you're not willing to be flexible on color!)
  • tastycakes55tastycakes55 Member Posts: 35
    Check castle mazda in maryland, they have a couple black cherry red AWD GTs for 32k-ish

http://mazda.trycastle.com/new-inventory/
  • walktofastwalktofast Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know what your credit score needs to be for the 0% offer. I am on the dealer web site and they are offering a New 2009 Mazda CX-9 Sport FWD for $23,683 and it says 0%.
    If the $23,683 is the price on the web site will they discount for a trade?

thanks
  • xrayzxrayz Member Posts: 6
    the extras were backup camera, all season floor mats, wheel locks
    I'm in Mass. There's a few hundred miles on it, maybe that's why the deal is so good
  • andrewr1701andrewr1701 Member Posts: 4
    2009 CX9 AWD GT with Assistance Pkg and Moonroof/Bose Package.
    $38872 includes TTL.

Dealer is in Rockand County, NY
    probably at least 750.
    Hard to say unless you split out TTL. Sales tax rates vary significantly across the country. However, even if I assume $3000 for TTL, You are only at $35,872 for the vehicle. You should be closer to $33,000 with the $4K dealer incentive and $1.5K consumer rebate.
    just to be clear, it's EITHER the $4k dealer rebate OR the $1.5k consumer rebate with 0% financing...not both.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    To qualify for the 0%, you need a FICO score of at least 680. There are other factors as well like established credit history, income and available credit.
    My tax was approximately $3300. The $4K as stated was for a cash only transaction so I did not get that. Got the $1.5K rebate. Got a black cherry finish GT AWD, they threw in the mats because my sales guy was not the swiftest guy in phone call returning and nitrogen filled tires for 3 years..
  • carshoppertxcarshoppertx Member Posts: 10
    my husband and i went to a mazda dealer today in austin tx and told them we were prepared to be their easiest sale this morning. we asked for a CX-9 sport (no additional pachages) for mid $23K +TTL (MSRP was $30K) and we basically got laughed at. they said their best deal was $26K (MSRP - $4000 dealer cash). how is everyone getting $7K off MSRP??? what dealerships in houston and san antonio did the above posters work with to get such great deals?
  • mindleftnumbmindleftnumb Member Posts: 10
    How soon thereafter would you imagine the prices on the 2009s dropping? And by how much?

I'm looking for a GT under 30K (before TTL- I'm in Long Beach, CA). I can find 2008's in this price range but am thinking that, if I hold off for a bit longer (til the 2010s arrive), I could get a 2009 for this price.

Thank you in advanced for your thoughts and ideas. :)
  • danz75danz75 Member Posts: 7
    I don't know how much more prices would drop. With the 4k dealer cash back or the 1500 cash back + 0% financing, it makes it pretty good time to buy right now if the dealer offers a invoice price - incentives/cash back.

I've been looking as well and notice that the color choices/options are getting thin. I can see prices dropping a little bit later on if you're not picky.
    Which dealership in Houstin did you work with? That's the price range my husband and I are searching in and a dealer here in Austin won't budge from MSRP-$4000 (their best price was $25,900) for a base CX-9 sport (no other packages).
    That's a really great deal ($8,150 off MSRP)! Can you share some of your negotiation tactics with me? My husband and I are trying to purchase a CX-9 Sport with nothing fancy for around $24K (MSRP of ~$30K) and the best price the dealer closest to us gave was $25,900 (MSRP-$4000 dealer cash). It seems that everyone is getting anywhere from 6K to 8K but the dealer we spoke to this morning wasn't coming close enough to that. Any tips you can provide would be appreciated.
  • jhkbjkjhkbjk Member Posts: 1
    Versus a brand new 2009 CX-9, what is a reasonable price reduction for a CX-9 GT demo that has 5K miles on it? If I could get a new CX-9 for $30K OTD, how much less should I pay for an equivalent CX-9 that was a demo?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    they are already offering under $30k for GT but without any options. if you want Assist with/without moonroof you are going to pay at least $2-3k more than that.

just picked up my Black Cherry GT AWD/Nav/moonroof/roof rack/mud guards/mats on friday....LOVE IT!!! you have to get one of these....they are worth every penny!
    i ran into 3 demos all of which were ~1200-2000 miles and i was asking for $2k off. they were only willing to go down an extra $500 so i thought it wasn't worth it. at 5k miles i would easily ask for $1500-2000 off and i'm still not sure i would take it since it's a demo (realize 5000 miles is practically a trip across the US and back!).
    Wow. I wish I could get those Castle prices out here in California.
    I had decided on my Cx-9 trim, done several hours and late nights of price research, got MSRP, invoice, Edmunds TMV, KBB best price, blah, blah, got online price quotes, met 3 dealers personally, got about $6K off MSRP.

Was shopping at Costco and noticed a brochure on their Auto save program - pre negotiated prices with specific dealers across the Country. What the hell - gave it a try and next day had a quote from the dealer in my Zip for $200 below invoice, it was the lowest price i got (one of the above 3 dealers, different sales manager).
    If you want to save a LOT of time and still get a pretty good price, check this out.

Goto Costco.com and type autosave in the search box. Have to be a Costco member, which i am. Even if you are not, the m'ship ($50) is well worth the savings. The discount is the same for a Gold or Executive ($100) member,

Hope it helps.
  • slinghaslingha Member Posts: 16
    See if they'll price match it. If not get the car shipped to you. I did it once from florida to nj. Pretty simple and even with the shipping I was better off than local dealer
    Then I'm confused. On Edmunds, MSRP for our vehicle (the Sport with no extras) is $30,570, the Invoice is $28,350 and TMV is $25,009. $6k off MSRP would put us in the ballpark of what we're looking for but $200 below invoice would definitely not. Seems like for any CX-9, $200 below invoice isn't even the TMV of the car! Does the Edmunds TMV already have the $4000 dealer cash discount factored in? I would expect dealers to be able to come down to $24K under invoice with the dealer cash available. Is $2K off MSRP and $4000 dealer cash unreasonable to expect?
    It's been my experience that the discounts on a base model are always less than fully loaded cars.

They may discount a base model 10-13% while they discount the fully loaded one 17-19%

The issue is that they can move base models with no problems. It's the loaded ones(especially in this economy) that sit longer and incur larger and longer debt payments by the dealer.

Say for instance they pay 100 dollars a month in interest payments for a base model but pay 175 a month in interest for a loaded car. X the 10 months they have been sitting there, they are 750 more in the hole than on a base model.

When we bought our cx-9 awd gt with lots of stuff in it a few weeks ago, the salesman made the comment several times that its all about volume for the loaded cars. He said that he can sit on a base because people will buy them.
    I think if you wait you will get a deal....but the stock will be lower. We were going to buy a leftover 08 6 months ago for 2,000 less than we paid for the one we just bought. The issue was the lack of variety. We couldnt choose our color, and we couldnt choose our options. If you're willing to "take what they give you" then you could probably do better later.
    Keep in mind, production was cut on all cars back in September 2008. There werent many produced. We found even when we bought 3 weeks ago, there was not much selection. We had to drive 100 miles bypassing a dozen dealers that were closer to get what we wanted in an 09.

On that note, I read in article in the Star Ledger(NJ paper) that the price for used cars from 2008-2009 are going to be inflated due to the lack of production. The dealer they interviewed said he couldnt get newer explorers and expeditions on his lot since nobody bought them new.
  • webxplorewebxplore Member Posts: 4
    Were you in the market for a GT (+options)? What was the offered price?
    To answer your question, yes, the TMV takes into account the dealer cash. i also think when sanjayn mentions "$200 below invoice", he's saying that as the price before the dealer cash. your target purchase price should be (will vary by trim and options):
    MSRP - $7-8k (my own experience for Black Cherry GT AWD/Nav would argue $6-7k unless you can go to Castle in MD which apparently has some kickin' deals)
    Invoice is typically $3k off MSRP so you could also say:
    Invoice - $4k (dealer cash) OR
    Invoice -$1.5k plus 0% financing (36mo with a good credit score - i think 680 was mentioned above).

i could be off by a few hundred bucks here or there depending on region, color, trim, and options but i think that's the ballpark for 2009 CX-9s. just my take....
    that's kind of what i thought. i've noticed there are way more tourings and grand tourings available than sports so maybe if we're able to spend a little more, we'll get a better value overall. thanks for your input! all of you guys have been really helpful!
  • newawdcx9newawdcx9 Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased from Brown's Fairfax Mazda in Virginia.

Stormy Blue Mica w/Sand interior AWD Touring CX-9. Moonroof/Bose, roof rack and wheel locks. $28,280 including $1000 loyalty rebate and $4000 mfg to dealer incentive.
  • shyboyshyboy Member Posts: 36
    @newawdcx9:
    Can you please emial me the details of the person that you dealt with at Brown's Fairfax Mazda?

I really need to pull the trigger by next month.
    shyboy gmail.com
    thx
    2009 CX9 AWD GT with Assistance Pkg and Moonroof/Bose Package.
    $38872 includes TTL. TTL was about $3300.

Dealer is in Rockand County, NY
    That puts you at $35572 without TTL (which varies per state). i would say if you are not picky about color you can get better. TMV is $33300 for that combination including $4000 dealer cash. If you are taking the $1500 rebate + low-APR financing route, it's not a bad deal. If you want the $4000 dealer cash, get your own financing (bank, HELOC, etc.) and try to chop off another $2500 off that price ($1500 rebate you already have + $2500 = $4000 dealer cash) which is right around the $33000 mark i just mentioned.

good luck!
    I went with the $1500 and 2.9%.

Thanks...picking it up on Friday.
    The vehicle was a 2009 CX-9 Sport with the PW6 option.
    MSRP was $30980, Costco price $24,491 ($6489 off MSRP with the $4K cash)

Invoice price was $28,691. $200 and $4000 off that was the $24,491

Let me know if you geta better price.
    The dealership in Tustin CA constantly has Mazda company car cx9s in stock. They claim they're form the corporate office nearby and that they are sought out because they are typically better taken car of. I'm not too sure about that?
    Any thoughts?