Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tripolitripoli Member Posts: 11
    The Mazda corporate cars are sold at the Riverside California Manheim auto auction. These cars are typically purchased at the auction by Mazda dealers (like Tustin Mazda), although the autions are open to any dealer. The CX9's that are Mazda corp. cars usually have less than 10,000 miles and are either Touring or loaded Grand Touring models. A white AWD loaded GT (nav, dvd) with 14,000 miles sold on 7/7 for $27,750. These corporate cars are usually in very good condition.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Great info.

Sorry for getting off topic.

There are two kinds of auctions I know. One is exclusively for dealers in which you can test drive the vehicles. If vehicles don't get sold there, they fall into public auction places. Therefore, typically, vehicles at the public auctions are not in good shapes.

The 2nd best way to buy used cars (if you have patience) is to ask a used car dealer you know well to watch the dealer auctions for certain vehicles you want. Typically, such dealers charge you some fee (says, $500 for the effort), and you pay the auction price + auction fee. In dealer auction, dealers bring their own mechanics and get to test drive them. Therefore, this is less an lottery compared with public auction (in which you can't test drive!).
    I was able to find a 06 Honda Civic in great condition at 10-20% below market value (FMV).
  • newawdcx9newawdcx9 Member Posts: 7
    In my opinion all salesman are tightly controlled by the head salesman. You are dealing with the delearship not individula salesman. Brown's Mazda has pricing on their web site very close to their likely final sales point.
  • tripolitripoli Member Posts: 11
    The auction that I was referring to is the Manheim auctions. Manheim auctions are not open to the public. Only licensed dealers can bid. Some of their auctions are "closed" auctions, meaning only BMW dealers can bid on BMW lease return and company cars. Nissan/Infiniti and some GM cars are put in these closed auctions as well. The Mazda corporate cars are not. They are auctioned off in California at the Riverside auction. The Mazda company cars that Tustin Mazda and other California Mazda dealers have are from the Riverside auction. These company cars are usually in VERY good condition.
  • sanjaynsanjayn Member Posts: 8
    Just bit the bullet on a 2009 CX-9 Sport, AWD, copper red with the PW6 package. Price $26,055 in MN.
    Any thoughts on the price..good deal or could I do better?

What are the average OTD costs once the vehicle price is fixed? I know Tax, title and license but are there any dealer doc fees or any others I should be careful about? What are the average dealer fees, excluding TTL?
  • kybriankybrian Member Posts: 4
    Been offered $24,999+TTL for FWD CX9 Sport with Moonroof/bose stereo, power seats,heated cloth seats and heated mirrors. Black on Black, MSRP $32,940. I have credit union financing at 4.5%, dealer thinks they can do better on rate, will let me know tomorrow. I am a current Mazda customer so deal includes $1,000 customer loyalty. Can't get 2.9% because of discounted price. Can I do better.
  • petesamprspetesamprs Member Posts: 25
    Just signed for a 2009 CX-9 GT AWD with moonroof/bose + about $400 in dealer options (mats/cargo cover/etc)

Final price was around $32k before TTL. ($34.5k all-in in NJ)

Price includes $4k incentive for no mazda financing. I disagree with a previous poster who said the 0% financing is worth more than $2500 in savings. I didn't think the 0% financing (for 3 years) was worth it, since the implied financing cost of having payments based on a selling price that is $2500 more is around 5% (and risk free money earns a lot less than that today).
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    which NJ dealership did u get that deal? and what color?
  • mindleftnumbmindleftnumb Member Posts: 10
    The worth of the 0% financing depends on what the alternative interest rate is.

I advise using the Excel spreadsheet here...works great: http://www.vertex42.com/Calculators/auto-loan-calculator.html
  • dbcafyqx4dbcafyqx4 Member Posts: 7
    What are additional options and original price for your CX-9?

I see the moonroof / bose, did you get the GT Assist package as well?

Thanks,
    DBC
  • nuzynuzy Member Posts: 54
    At the risk of being obvious, even more, it also depends on how much you are financing. If you aren't putting much cash down, the 0% becomes far more valuable because you are financing a much larger amount. When the amount is smaller, the difference between 0% and the alternative interest rate(s) lessens in magnitude.
  • volfan3volfan3 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know what incentives/support Mazda is giving for new 2008 models? My dealer has several '08 CX-9s, including one optioned the way we like. From searching the forum and other sources, I can't find any published information for 2008s. The last I saw was $5,250 in dealer cash on them back in April or so. I imagine with 2010s on their way soon, they have to be helping dealers get rid of these. It appears my local dealer has 1 or 2 of their own left over and also have received 2008s initially sent to other dealerships for sale. It's essentially a 2 year old used car the moment I drive it off the lot, so I need a steep discount. If some have been able to buy an '09 for ballpark of $4,500 off invoice price/$7,500 off sticker - then what can you buy an '08 for given they start at essentially the same price? $3,000 more off?

I plan to keep the car a long time and we put high mileage on our vehicles so the 2008/09 model year difference doesn't matter too much to me. After 2-3 years it will have the "right" amount of miles on it for a used '08. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm a willing cash buyer but the deal has to be right. We are replacing a 2004 Durango Hemi Limited that is in perfect condition but has 131k on it. So, I have no immediate need and the smart thing would probably be to drive it until it stops as it can't depreciate much more. But, we want a new car, no longer need a tow vehicle, and like the CX-9, so if the price is low enough, I'll go for it.
    will let you know dealer once i take delivery.

silver.
    Agree, but my "alternative" interest rate is the opportunity cost of the cash i have in the bank (which is earning 1-2%). So I can either use my money and pay 1-2% interest rate (foregone interest on my savings) or pay 5% to use mazda's money.

Now if you have that same cash earning >5% in the market instead, you should finance. But I can't guarantee myself >5% in this market.
    only package was bose/moonroof. no GT assist (mazda nav is seriously overpriced for what you get).

additional dealer installed options added around $400 to selling price.
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    While many buyers (myself included, initially) would like to believe that new units that are really stale should go for fire-sale prices, it doesn't really happen and here's why. There comes a time when the manufacturer discontinues incentives on the remaining previous year's inventory. At that point, the dealer is given the option to buy the car outright, less the last, best incentives offered. So there is no larger, more aggressive discounting from the factory. The dealer obviously has an incentive since these units are tying up more capital than the those leveraged under floorplanning. But it seems to me that they typically hang on until somebody comes in and jumps at a $500 break but doesn't consider (or care about) the multi-K dollar depreciation hit.This also works better when the new model's sticker price has jumped a bit, adding more free leverage.

As a long term vehicle keeper, getting the mileage on the odo "right" is irrelevant. You got a lot of good use out of your old vehicle, you want a new one, go beat up a few dealers pricing an '09 and enjoy your new ride.
  • bnpbnp Member Posts: 4
    volfan, The last I saw for incentives on 2008s was for June. They were

2008 Mazda CX-9 $6,250 Customer Rebate
    or
    0.0% APR for up to 60 MONTHS + $2,000 Customer Cash Rebate OR
    1.9% APR for up to 72 MONTHS + $2,000 Customer Rebate Cash

Haven't seen anything for July.

I would think you could get a great deal. I bought my 2008 Sport in April and got $12,500 off sticker (= 40% off). Incentive was $5,250 at that time. It was a demo w/ 3k miles.

Not sure about the model and upgrades you are looking at, but if I got that off a Sport you should be able to get close to that or better on a brand new one, especially Touring or GT. Mine was a demo, so I'd guess $11k off might be about right.
  • carshoppertxcarshoppertx Member Posts: 10
    I think that's a good deal. We just bought a FWD CX-9 Sport, blue on black, with no extra accessories (really? auto headlights aren't standard on all cars yet???) in Austin, TX for $24,944. You're gonna get the same vehicle with more accessories for that price which I think is great! We tried to get the dealer down further but he wouldn't budge and there are very few of this color in the state and they're popular (thus driving up the price a bit) so we went with it. We had credit union financing at 3.7% and they couldn't beat it and we weren't previous Mazda owners. We had an OTD price of $27K which included a $300 service package with 7 oil changes and lifetime vehicle inspections. We plan to keep this car for the next 10 years so we thought it was worth it. Otherwise, there was only a doc fee of $45 and TTL. They didn't try to slip any weird fees on the PO at the last minute. I had hoped to get the car for less based on other posts here but we got just below Edmunds TMV so we're pleased. Good luck!
    thanks des5 and bnp. You both gave me additional information that I didn't know. I have realized there isn't usually as much difference as you would think for a prior year's model, but didn't know how much there might be in this instance. It looks like there should be at least a $2,250 difference based on bnp's information from June, and if the car was bought outright as des5 suggests it could have been, then a $3,000 discount off the best deal for a similar 09 would seem to be about right?

I agree that right now an '09 is worth at least $3,000 more than an identical '08, but if I hold the car 5 or 6 years and put 130k on the odometer, the difference won't matter much at all. Still, we might not like the car as much as we think we will or could decide to get rid of it for any reason, so you are right that if we can't get enough extra off we are probably better off with an '09.

As I look at it, I SHOULD be able to get around $4,200 to $4,500 under invoice on a new '09 - so that makes it around $7,00 to $7,500 on a new '08. If anyone sees it differently or has other information, please let me know and thanks for what you've already given!
    While deciding between a 2008 or a 2009, be aware of all the new enhancements in 2009 compared to 2008. If those do not matter to you,
    make sure you ask the dealer to check if your new 2008 has any outstanding TSBs that apply to it. Better have the dealer fix them before you take it home. Later models, of course, have less applicable TSBs. :)
  • backinblack1backinblack1 Member Posts: 10
    I am picking up my new cx9 GT AWD with moonroof and bose in the morning.

Sale price 31k plus ttl

I learned a lot here. This definitely helped with my negotiations. I even walked out of the first dealer.

Thanks to all for the help that you provided.
    Well, it didn't go so well. The internet sales manager at the local shop with the 2008s called me after I put in my contact through the edmunds site. She told me about how I was lucky they had some 2008s left because they were so deeply discounted. She then tried to sell me a 2008 "demo" that had 5,600 miles on it. She told me I was getting the highly discounted, non-negotiable internet price.

The MSRP on this used 2008 with 5,600 miles was $37,600. She offered me the car at a non-negotiable $32,500. What a crock. First, I'm not buying a used 2008. If I want to do that, they are going at auction for about $18,500. Second, I know from this thread that the car has at least $6,250 in cash on it (or did as of June) and the invoice was about $33,500. The dealer cost is well under $27k on that car, and I don't even know what other support they may have on it at this point. I feel like I just wasted a lot of time researching a CX9 if that's the way the dealer is going to try to do business with me. I guess that's why they still have 5 2008s on their lot - they are waiting for someone
  • glh205glh205 Member Posts: 22
    what dealer?
    Irwin in freehold. They had to do a search for the vehicle. When I went to pick it up this morning, it turns out that it also had a roof rack. This brought the MSRP up over 38k. They still only charged me the 31k that we agreed upon, even with the roof rack.. It was a very relaxed and smooth transaction.
    Thanks, carshoppertx, we thought this was a very good deal. We picked up the CX-9 today. Purchased in Cincinnati, OH at Kings Mazda, only 2 in inventory in Lexington, KY so went out of state. Deal was just as promised and the process could not have been any easier. Got rate of 3.95% as well, better than the credit union. Hope you like yours, my wife loves ours.
    I may give them a call! How painful was it?
    The final price i got with the Costco pricing for a red CX-9, AWD, with the PW6 option was $26050, $6300 off MSRP.
    Good price, any thoughts on it?

The dealership in MN was excellent, friendly folks, no high pressure tactics.
    The Fin mgr did try to sell me the warrant contract, told him i'd think abt it. He then dropped the price by 15%!
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    The finance manager has lots of options for Mazda or 3rd party extended warranties. The difference between an addition 7 year, 80,000 mile and 10 year, 120,000 mile was only $200. I have a CX-9 with AAA extended warranty and just got a CX-7 with Mazda/Ford extended warranty. The 1c0 year/120K was $1800 with $100 deductible. I couldn't say no to that with our new X-7 having a Turbo and AWD which I suspect one of those will have issues.

Volfan3, We just emailed them about the specific vehicle asking for best price, they initially emailed back with a price and a couple hours later gave us a better price by email. We then decided to add the Moon/bose package and heated seats/mirrors and got the quote back by email for the CX-9 we purchased. We set up a time to arrive at Kings Mazda yesterday so we could test drive the vehicle. We loved the drive and decided to go forward. Our paper work was all ready when we arrived, we did talk to them by phone on Thursday and did a quick credit application and was approved for 3.95% on Friday morning, so when we arrived that was ready as well. We were offered the extended warranty etc but declined, no pressure. Easiest car purchase I have ever had. We had gone to look at Nissan Murano's at a local dealership and hated the games they play and just left. Good luck.
  • j_twittyj_twitty Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2009 CX-9 Sport AWD w/ Power & Heated Seat option for $25,000. This price included the $4000 dealer marketing cash and $1,000 owner loyalty cash. I thought the final price was pretty good and had a couple of other Mazda dealers told me I was lying about the price when I tried to play them against each other.
  • webxplorewebxplore Member Posts: 4
    Would you mind providing the msrp and options that you got other than moon roof? Was that a GT?
    The lowest quote that I got for a GT FWD with moonroof with an MSRP 36.6k was 31k.
    A GT FWD with roof & nav with an msrp of 39650 is 33.5K.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    First, I'm not buying a used 2008. If I want to do that, they are going at auction for about $18,500.

What auctions do you go to? I cannot touch a 2007 GT AWD for under $22,000 at the auctions. I have been to 6 auctions from New York to Florida. Mazda wants $24,000 +++ for off lease CX-9's. $18,500 is a pipe dream my friend.....

Second, I know from this thread that the car has at least $6,250 in cash on it (or did as of June)

The cash incentive on the 2009 CX-9 for June was $4,000 and an additional $1,000 if you currently own a Mazda. I don't even print out the 2008 incentives anymore because the North East sold out of 2008's 6 months ago
    The MSRP was 38,056. It is a GT with AWD, Moonroof/Bose and Roof Rack
    the # came from a database and was for 2008s with about 30 clicks on them. That number is up approximately $1200 this week. I know that there are few good deals at the auctions these days.

Local Mazda dealer near me has 5 2008s still on their lot. I thought they were all new, but it turns out one of them was a demo. It looks like they bought 4 of them from other dealers - 2 from ft. myers and 2 from somewhere in MS according to the sticker.

So what do you think a good deal is, in relation to invoice, on both a new 2008 and a new 2009? My guess is invoice minus 4k for 2009 and invoice minus 6.25k for 2008? Unrealistic?
    Sounds like a good deal. I got the exact same trim, options for $26050,without the $1000 loyalty cash. Got them to add splash guards for $99 extra, installed.

Is there a way to get the $1000 cash without being a current/past Mazda owner?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    As a consumer, I would want a 2008 below invoice plus incentives. I would like a 2009 for invoice knowing that the 2010's are on order and should be here come September.

Since I am a dealer, I will give you the business side. First, having any 2008's left is a bad business mistake. How that dealer has 2008's left is beyond me. 2009's in my area, North East, are becoming very very slim. No dealer will swap with another dealer and 2009 supply will not last until the 2010's get here. I would really like to make a few hundred over invoice on the 2009's. Fortunately, in my area there is a supply vs demand issue in my favor.

I am not aware of the inventory of CX-9's in your area, but, if you can negotiate at least an invoice deal on a 2009 CX-9, I would think that is a good deal. If you can get better then that, then more power to you! I would stay away from a 2008, since you will not be able to buy a "new 2008" at the market rate of a pre-owned 2008.

Let us know how you make out!
    Found a 2009 CX9 Touring FWD with bose/moonroof MSRP $34550. Per edmunds, invoice is $31,885. I was quoted $28,060. That's $6,500 below sticker, $3,800 below invoice. Seems like a good price to me, but it seems some on here have done even better. Thoughts?
    thanks for the tip. they offered me a good price, but not as good as yours (even if I add $1,000 to yours because I'm not a mazda customer). Did you do anything to get them to lower the price?

Also, did you mess with a trade?
  • nb_packnb_pack Member Posts: 2
    Went in today to get price quotes and took what I got in Cary,NC. We chose a Black 2WD Sport just cause my wife doesn't care about all the bells and whistles. The only option it had was power seats at $490 I think. MSRP was almost $31K even. First quote was 26,900 with owner loyalty. I asked about their website which said 23,995. They came back with 23,995. I said sounds good. If you throw in the roof rack I won't go compare quotes. After some himming and hawing they did it. So final deal was

$23,995+ttl = $25,300 out the door for standard Sport with roof rack and power seats option.

I was disappointed in trade in value. They offered 2k for my '03 mazda mpv. We just decided to keep it.
    Did you end up calling or emailing? We did no negotiating, they offered the great deal upfront. We did not trade because we have a 16 year old who is taking our 2000 Honda Accord.
    I emailed. They gave me a price of $28k on a sticker of $34.4. About $1500 worse than your deal. I'm not a mazda owner so I figure I'm not going to get that $1,000, but I was hoping to get the other $500. I would like to trade in my current car, which is most of the reason I'm buying new instead of getting a slightly used one through auction, which I have access to. Had a bad experience last time I sold a car myself and don't really want to deal with that again. I am calling tomorrow to discuss if I can get a price, or at least a "range" or general expectation for my trade unseen, but if I drive all the way up there only to have them back out on the trade price or make a really low ball offer because they know they have me, my blood pressure will go through the roof. I'll leave, on a matter of principle, but it will tick me off to no end. I guess it's a matter of trust. I can tell you right now that I would not trust my local dealer enough to drive across town. I hope your experience is representative!
  • ldislerldisler Member Posts: 83
    Left a deposit on a in stock Mazda5 @8:00 pm. Called them @2:00 the next day to cancel the deal and they refuse to refund my deposit. The salesman never said
    it wasn't refundable. What do I do now?
  • danz75danz75 Member Posts: 7
    What do the terms of the agreement state?
    In most cases, deposits are usually not refundable because that means that the item is reserved for you and it's an indication that you're interested and want the dealer to hold the car for you.
    I would refer to the terms of agreement when you put down the deposit.
    Hopefully you used a credit card rather than a check. If you used a card, you can try to dispute it with the card company. If not, you may be sol.
  • dbcafyqx4dbcafyqx4 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I will be picking up my 2009 CX-9 GT AWD tonight. I am considering the extended warranty. What price should I be expecting to pay for this? What are your experiences with this service?

Thanks,
    Dave
    It actually depends on your state.
    In CA, all deposits are refundable. The precedence has been set in CA court.
    All dealers know that.

One ugly way to get your money back is to sue them in small claim court.
    You need to file paperworks yourself (no lawyer needed). Small-claim is for $$$ less than 3000 (at least in CA). I bet if you tell the salesman that you will go to small-claim court (I hope that you have a sound reason why you want the deposit back...or you may lose the case there if it does go there.) for your money, most dealers will try to avoid the hassles and give you the money back. I can't be sure, though. It is your choice.
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    I just got a CX-7 GT AWD. 120 Months, 100K miles for $1800 with $100 deductible with the Mazda EPP plan. This car has a turbo too. so the CX-9 should be comparable.
  • metalprofmetalprof Member Posts: 7
    Hey folks,
    Just bought an 09 CX-9 AWD Touring with Moonroof/Bose in KY, taking the $4K cash. MSRP was $35.8. We got it for base price of 28700 (no $1K customer loyalty cash). With TL/processing fees of 500, and 1700 in taxes, came to 30913 OTD. Bought it from Paul Miller Mazda in Lexington. They found exactly the vehicle we wanted and brought it down to us. Fairly painless negotiation. My guess is that they've got some kind of hidden volume incentives for the dealers -- their first offer was at 29.3, so we mainly just dropped all the processing fees in the final deal, and it went very quickly. Good luck hunting folks!
    We bought a 2009 CX-9 AWD Grand Touring w/ GT Assist and Moonroof/Bose for $33.3K inc destination. Sticker was $40.2K, so we got $6.9K off. I probably could have squeezed another couple hundred, but AWD GTs in this area are slim, and the color and options were right, so it wasn't worth dragging out. We did not qualify for the $1K loyalty. Pretty straight forward deal. Next step is to add aftermarket DVD headrests and a trailer hitch for a bike rack.

We really like the car, what a nice ride! We were down to the CX9 GT and Pilot Touring. We liked each car equally as well (with relatively small advantages and disadvantages to each). Our decision came down to availability and price. Honda isn't offering any incentives right now, so the price for a comparably equipped Honda would have been much more.
  • mjadhavmjadhav Member Posts: 5
    Can somebody provide me more details about the $4000 dealer marketing cash? Is that in place of the low financing?