Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• keyseekr246keyseekr246 Member Posts: 9
    JC, you bring up some good points, despite the nomenclature there are really way more differences between the Touring and GT than the Touring and Sport. Honestly we were going for the Sport, but with a baby and Labrador we have found that leather is easier to keep clean. That is really the only substantial difference between Tour/Spt, you can get the power heated seat/mirror in a package on the Sport and then you are pretty close to having the same equipment.

I have to come clean and say that the GT we looked at was used from Carmax and the guy didn't know how it all worked (never got the tailgate to power open) so I am afraid that first impression sort of stuck with me. Wife thought the 20" ride was too firm, which is probably the most consistent comment that I have seen in the reviews of the GT.

We actually picked up a Touring last night: AWD Bose/Moon White Pearl with the Sand Leather. We had to drive up to Milwaukee, but it was what we wanted. Invoice 33600-4K rebate -1K loyalty so 28600. Seems like a good deal where the sticker was 36025 and there were very few White Touring AWD in the area so we wanted to act before they were gone or we had to drive even further.

There are actually a couple things that would be nice to have as an option that are only on the GT and that is the memory seats and the Blind spot monitor would be nice. I also don't understand, and this may just be a rant against foreign cars in general, but why can they not make auto on off headlights standard ?(GT only). Not sure if this is just a preference in the US, but funny how most GM cars from the late 90s (Beretta, Grand Prix, Alero we have owned) have had these.

This may have been covered else where, but from the literature the CX-9 headlights for Sport=Manual/Touring=Auto Off/ GT=Auto off&on seems like it would be more cost effective to be uniform for this sort of thing, but hey I don't make cars for a living so I am sure there is a reason.

I wish luck to everyone out there looking. I appreciate the feedback from this forum and hope everyone finds what they are looking for.....
  • sbrown23sbrown23 Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to make sure I understand what I've been reading ... there is a $4000 dealer incentive, and that is in addition to the $1500 customer cash? I don't want to sound like I'm smoking crack when I walk into the dealer... What I'm looking at is a CX-9 Touring FWD with MSRP of $31,715 and invoice per Edmunds of $29,349. Incentives of $4000 and $1500, then add back $750 destination, plus $172 for the Crystal White Pearl paint bringing the total to $24771. Does that sound about right???

Only things I'd add are Remote Engine Start and burglar alarm options.
  • dp09dp09 Member Posts: 2
    In my case there was only a $1500 mfr rebate
    no REBATE of $4000 (it was a $3500 for a CLUNKER plus $500 from the dealer for bringing in a clunker)
    however, there was a mazda loyalty incentive (I think for $1000) as well but that did not apply to me
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    when i was shopping (~5 weeks ago) it was $4000 dealer cash OR $1500 (plus 0% financing). you could not do both. basically if you could secure your own financing or could buy cash, it was a better deal to do the $4000. if you wanted to go through Mazda (Chase) for financing, take the $1500 and 0% for 36 months. The $1000 loyalty can be extra to both deals. Additionally, cash for clunkers can be additional to both deals (assuming you can justify getting this pretty poor fuel economic vehicle called the CX-9 under that program =) heh heh).
    i am not sure the dealer cash is still around....it seems pretty spotty now whether dealers will offer it. personally, i am quite glad i bought mine last month when the deals where pretty ubiquitous and i got the exact color/features i wanted.
  • nuzynuzy Member Posts: 54
    100% in agreement. Not a spec of buyers remorse here. Very happy I worked something out in July.
    Interesting, talked to CarsDirect and they mentioned $4000 incentive, but that you cannot get 2.9% for 60 months with that.

Indeed, on the CarsDirect site, the Touring FWD in White goes for $27240, including destination, in Southern CA. I'm thinking of taking the CarsDirect printout to the dealer and telling them they have a deal if they take $27000.

Opinions?
    that is consistent with what we said: you cannot get the promotional financing rates with the $4k dealer cash...they are mutually exclusive. however, that doesn't prevent you from going down to your local bank and getting a 2.9% loan and taking the $4k discount there.

My experience with CarsDirect is that you can probably do better than $500-1000 under their price....i used that exact same tactic as you (walked in with CarsDirect printout in hand) to buy my 2005 Murano. i got a good deal...but not a great deal. having said all that, if you are going to get the CX-9 regardless and you found what you are looking for, don't lose out on it over a few hundred bucks when, in the big picture, you are saving thousands.....IMHO.
  • ocmjocmj Member Posts: 1
    This car looks so sharp. Picked it up on Sunday. it is a silver Grandtouring, Navi, Moonroof, Tow pkg, Dockable entertainment system, Roof rack, Cargo mat, Cargo net. Sticker was $41100.00. Got it for invoice less $4000, less $3500(clunker), less $500. Purchase price was $29600 + TTL. A few dealers closer to me here in orange county would not give me the same deal and they all told me that once I get there, they won't honor the deal. It went very smooth with no problems and the internet/fleet manager was very nice and professional. Good luck with your purchase everyone.
    Picked up our new White CX-9 Touring with Sand interior last night. There were very few of these available in So. Cal., I think less than 10. I think we got a fairly good deal. MSRP was $32665 and we got the $4000 off and ended up paying $27200 + TTL. On a side note, what a great looking car! Very smooth ride, excellent interior.

Does anyone have the Remote Engine Start option? What do you think of it, and how much was it to have it installed? The sales guy actually discouraged us from this option, saying it was a waste, and expensive to install. When does a dealer ever discourage you getting options on a car???

One other question ... can anyone provide opinions on the Mazda maintenance plan (3 years/$695) and the Mazda extended warranty (7 yrs/60,000 mi/$1350 dealer cost). Would folks recommend getting these? Finance guy said we could add when we secure our financing if we want at those prices listed above. Hard decision, owner input welcome.
    When we bought our CX9 in July, I also asked about having the Mazda factory remote start installed by the dealer. I was told that it was not a very good system and didn't integrate well with the car. Like you, I figured if the dealer said that, it must not be worth spending the money on it. I can do without it, just thought it would be neat to have. I'm sure others have it and have had no problems with it - probably just a matter of opinion and preference in terms of how the thing works.

As far as the warranty goes, as much as I hate them, I plan on eventually getting an authentic Mazda extended warranty because my wife tends to put lots of miles on her car. I'm more concerned about the electronics and computer system stuff than the mechanical/engine components. I'll probably wait until early next year. You can get one any time up until your factory warranty expires, or shortly before that time/mileage. If you look online, you can find a 6 yr / 100k mile official mazda warranty for around $1700 ($100 deduct plan). My plan is to solicit the local dealers for quotes, using the on-line price as a negotiating tool.
  • ocelot4arkocelot4ark Member Posts: 9
    Just started shopping and have been offered this already, which SEEMS pretty good:

CX-9 Touring FWD
    Bose/Moonroof package
    MSRP of $34,425

The offer is $6,000 off of MSRP for a total of $28,425+TT&L. What do you guys think? i would be perfectly fine with a Sport model, but I'm a sucker for leather interior.
  • carhunter9carhunter9 Member Posts: 8
    Got a quote for 29.2 +ttl in NJ
    for CX9 touring awd ,bose,leather,moonroof.

sounds like a good one?

Thanks!
  • zoomguyzoomguy Member Posts: 4
    Got a CX9 GT FWD with GT assist, Moonroof Bose, Towing pkg and Roof racks yesterday, from a bay area dealer yesterday. Nice Car. The MSRP is $39510....got it for $32300... did all the peice negotiations by email...

Cheers
    Sounds pretty good to me. I was pretty happy with $5500 or so off MSRP on my CX-9 Touring FWD, so it looks like you are doing pretty well with $6K off on your AWD.
  • talon90talon90 Member Posts: 10
    Was that price $32,300 OTD or still + TTL?
    32300 + TTL of course.... and you don't want to know how much tax we pay here ... :-(
  • valcvalc Member Posts: 1
    that sounds like the deal I just got. I bought a cx9 GT
    fwd ,bose moonroof,GT assist, towing, that sounds just like the one you bought price and everything. I also live in the bay area. You are right about the tax bad news. I could have bought another car:) but mine out the door was just over 31,000 I had a cash for clunker. so far love the car. Happy shopping everyone.
  • richullmanrichullman Member Posts: 2
    this sounds great. where? my experience last month was that there were no cars in north jersey, and there were no good deals to be had.
  • fiveinwifiveinwi Member Posts: 3
    Your deal is very similar to ours. We just picked up a blue CX-9 Touring FWD with Moonroof/Bose, Roof rack, homelink/compass mirror for $28,604+TTL in WI. We didn't do cash for clunkers because our trade is worth $7K, but got $4K Mazda incentive.
    I wasn't aware of the $4K Mazda incentive. I thought all they offered at this point was $1500 or 2.9% financing?
  • backinblack1backinblack1 Member Posts: 10
    carhunter,

Is this quote for a Touring or Grand Touring? Last month a purchased a Grand Touring awd , bose, leather, moonroof and roof rack for 31k in NJ. This was a little over 7k off of MSRP.
  • parrotsquawkparrotsquawk Member Posts: 28
    My current best deal is 33,336 on a 40,390 GT FWD in Pearl White here in FL. Not sure if that's + TTL or OTD. What kind of last minute charges are you seeing at the closing?

On a related front, I am opting FROM the moonroof (forcing me into the rear entertainment package...sigh) because I want the additional headroom. Anyone else make this decision?

How many are opting for roof racks? The crossbars are additional too.

I haven't seen the stainless steel bumper cover. Is it nice and worth the money?
    I didn't realize the moonroof took away headroom. I have one and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't quite understand that. I would think the rear entertainment dvd player hanging off the roof would take up more headroom than a moonroof.

You can add the roof rack and crossbars at any time on your own in like 10 minutes. You can get the parts from mazdaparts.org.
    Headroom without moonroof, front/2nd/3rd row (inches) 39.6/39.0/35.4
    Headroom with moonroof, front/2nd/3rd row (inches) 38.4/39.0/35.4

difference is 1.5 inches (and another place for noise and water to creep in)

I am guessing DVD player hangs down in a place where no one's head goes (between the seats?) I don't really care as I will probably never use it.
    My wife is aghast at the gas mileage of the CX-9 and is turning me towards a crapbox for city driving (I may get the worst driving/best mileage car to spite her and then take her other car as mine!)

What other cars did you compare the CX-9 to before purchasing?
    for me, i was looking at 3-row vehicles with AWD only so i compared to (all comments are my own assessments of these vehicles):
    Acura MDX (more expensive, more luxurious, very comparable handling if not better - ultimately i didn't feel the extra cost was justified)
    Toyota Highlander (better fuel esp with Hybrid, but kinda boring to drive)
    Honda Pilot (too truck like but some cool tech inside, poor braking compared to others)
    Honda Odyssey (actually a nice vehicle to me but wifey couldn't take the minivan plunge)
    GM Lambda vehicles/Acadia/Traverse/Outlook (good power, too truck-like to me, actually more expensive with comparable features)

vehicles i didn't look at (but you might want to):
    Ford Flex (i hate the boxy look, but sounds like it has good features)
    Hyundai Veracruz (not sure why i didn't consider...probably should've at least test-driven)
    Audi Q7/Mercedes GL/ etc etc (too expensive)
    Toyota Sienna/ Volkswagen Routan (again, minivans were vetoed by wifey)
    I suppose they have to reinforce the roof when the moonroof is there, hence the smaller headroom. I don't feel the noise and water thing is an issue though. I've had 4 cars over the years, two of them American made, two foreign, and have never had an issue with noise or water. Personally, I don't use moonroofs much anyway, they just happen to already be on the cars we chose. I dont' think you are missing anything by not having one.

We needed 3rd row and AWD too. We looked at the Pilot, Acadia, and Verecruz. I pretty much echo the same comments as the previous post. Acadia was too expensive for what you get, Pilot was nice, but they wouldn't deal much on them, Verecruz just didn't feel the same in terms of build quality/comfort. Either way, if you need 3 rows and AWD, you will not find anything that gets you very good gas mileage.
    backinblack1,

This is for a Touring .
    where in NJ did you buy ? openroad?
    Thanks!
    Actually, I don't need the 3rd row or AWD but I like a large cabin. The CX-7 felt too small. I loved my Suburban, even more so after I went from that bus to a Mitsu Eclipse (my 2nd one mind you) to a Hyundai XG300 that was totaled but saved my life. My last car (a 15 year old Benz) just died so...

I have had moon roof problems with wind and rain leaks so I am no fan of them. I also have hair that scratches the headliner so I need that extra 1.5 inches.

My wife wants me to look at a Scion, Venza, Equinozx, Traverse and a Prius. I want something high that I don't have to fold to get into. I am only 6' tall but I have a large upper body.
    the fact that you are considering both a Prius and a Traverse tells me you probably need to think about what your priorities of this next purchase are. for example, which is more important: large cabin or great fuel economy? the two are practically mutually exclusive with the exception of some hybrid SUVs which will increase your price.
    No doubt. You are all over the map. That's going to make it very tough to narrow down to a few choices. Good luck with your purchase!
    So does 29.2k +ttl on - touring , awd,roof,bose sounds good ?
    I still have some time to back off (if needed)
    sounds pretty good to me (MSRP:$36k) so you are basically getting ~$7k off which is pretty much as low as we've seen. The occasional person can get $8k off without a loyalty cash back, but i would be happy with $7k off MSRP.
    Thanks for the reply jcpharm ! :)
  • sashersasher Member Posts: 10
    Zoomguy & Talon90,

What incentives did your Bay Area dealer offer? I don't have a cluker to trade. I'm in the South Bay and interested in GT AWD w/GT Assist and will either by an 09 in Sept or wait for the 2010's.

Thanks!
    Sasher
    I want a good amount of cargo space, and a roomy cabin.
    My wife is squeezing the pennies on the MPG issue. She is the one changing the map.

Happy wife = happy life ...
    It's either or...

I can get 7k off the invoice or 1500 and financing.
    my suggestions then:
    Toyota Highlander Hybrid
    Chevy Equinox (V4 engine)
    Audi Q7 (if you need 3 rd row) or VW Toureg 2 (if no 3rd row) TDI (Diesel)

although you may feel a lack of power with all of them (i know i would).

If you can deal with poorer fuel economy (but better than CX-9):
    Ford Flex
    Acadia/Traverse/Outlook/Enclave
    Minivans (Odyssey/Sienna)

have fun test-driving....
  • dkcadkca Member Posts: 1
    zoomguy or anyone else in the Bay Area that got a GT deal.

can you refer any dealers? No one is offering the $4k incentive. best discount i have been offered off MSRP is $3.7k (after checking with 5 dealers). is that incentive still available?

any advice on how to proceed? thanks!
    sasher,

You can pretty easily get $4000 off the invoice price here in the bay area. My search was a bit complicated by the fact that I wanted black/sand only. (not many of those a lot of black/black). So finally got $4100 off the invoise which works out to around $7200 of MSRP (before TTL) for the features I chose. Also the dealer was willing to beat my credidt union rate so got something in the high 4% range.

I did not have a regular or clunker to trade in.

HTH
  • jnunes7750jnunes7750 Member Posts: 8
    Concerning the $4000 - I see a $1500 cash to customer incentative but I do not see the $4000 number. This is not listed as a Marketing Support number on this site. Is the $4000 a west coast only incentative?
    Thanks, :-)
    if you check out carsdirect.com you will see the $4000 manufacturer-to-dealer incentive (not a marketing incentive) incorportated into their price and notes it is currently good until 8/31/09 (although it has previously been extended in the past since May or June). having said that, it seems people are still getting $500-1000 off further from the carsdirect.com price at the dealers with good negotiation.
  • mjadhavmjadhav Member Posts: 5
    The $4000 rebate is through all the states. You can either take the $4000 rebate OR take the $1500 rebate + low Mazda financing. So in short, if you decide to take the $4000 rebate, you will have to get your own financing ... or see if the dealer will provide you with other financing options. PenFed is offering 3.99% APR for 24-60 month auto financing. I took the $4000 rebate and got financing from PenFed (www.penfed.org).
  • sashersasher Member Posts: 10
    Thanks zoomguy! Which dealer did you end up purchasing from?

sasher
    dkca,

I finally went with oaktree mazda in san jose... My strategy was to first figure out which dealers had the kind of trim/color/option I wanted...this you can easily do by searching for inventory at mazdausa.com... this I found to be fairly accurate...on one occasion I knew what car the dealership was going to get the next day before the
    salesman... :-).

Once I had the shortlist ... I just contacted the internet sales guys at the 3 dealerships and told them I was shopping around....and that I knew that all 3 delaerships had the cars I wanted ....and got there best quote.

Have to admit one dealer (capitol mazda) refused to give the price he had quoted ... and I just got up and left.....went to the next dealer and finished the deal...

HTH...
  • tortillatortilla Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all your comments.

Just bought new CX-9, MSRP $31260 and got $5900 off. North Texas area.
  • zoomzeezoomzee Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a touring CX9, MSRP 35,829 with bose, roof rack, and sunroof for 28,076 including 1000 $ loyalty cash.

I just collected internet bids in the portland area and took the best price. truly a no hassle buying experience.
  • curemecureme Member Posts: 18
    After lurking for quite a while, decided to take the plunge tonight.

Brilliant Black/Black CX-9 GT FWD w/ GT Assistance, Moonroof/Bose, Towing, Wheel Locks
    $32,332 + TTL (includes $1,000 loyalty, $7,058 off MSRP, $3,850 off invoice)

Los Angeles area
    Do you mind telling me where you got this deal? Was it in DFW?
  • smilingbuddhasmilingbuddha Member Posts: 7
    Why is this an either/or deal between dealer cash ($4000) and customer rebate ($1500). Is it that
    1. Mazda gives out only one of these? or
    2. Dealers are willing to give only one of these discounts, and pocket the other?

It seems to me that dealers should be able to give both discounts, depending on how the negotiation goes. They still make plenty of money on holdbacks and bonuses.

I ain't sure though - does anybody know more about this?