Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    tiruvantiruvan Member Posts: 10
    We just got a Blue/Sand CX-9 with 30 miles on it for $25,295 invoice. Our experience with sales and financing was great. We live in Austin, TX and bought it from Mazda South dealership.
  • Options
    rpoddarrpoddar Member Posts: 5
    We bought a 2009 CX9 Gt AWD (Black cherry/Sand) in San Jose CA (Oak Tree Mazda) with GT Assist Package, Bose/Sunroof and Roof rack for $32,500 + TTL. MSRP was over $41K.

Got a quote of $33.5K then got an additional 1K off for Mazda Loyalty. I think this was a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    sashersasher Member Posts: 10
    rpoddar - sounds like you got a great deal! Just to clarify, did you get a quote over the phone/internet first, or just walk onto the lot and negotiate from there?

Thanks!
    Sandra
  • Options
    smilingbuddhasmilingbuddha Member Posts: 7
    I would say that this is a standard deal these days with the 2010 model about to arrive and a full year's depreciation already on the 2009s. This is about $4000 off invoice which you should be able to get as internet price no questions asked ($4000 is promotional dealer cash being offered by Mazda to dealers).

I suspect that with the high inventory levels we will soon start seeing deeper discounts from Mazda dealers.
  • Options
    just checked - the invoice on this car is $37,181. So it should be easy to get them down to $33,181 ($32,181 with loyalty discount).

Good luck,
    Vikas
  • Options
    nuzynuzy Member Posts: 54
    I agree with the exception that high inventory levels is kind of relative. If you are looking for a GT AWD in the St. Louis area, forget it. There are Tourings and plenty of FWD, but nothing in the way of GT AWD selection, not to mention color flexibility is getting tight - mostly black and white, with some copper red and blue. We drove a couple hours to Springfield, IL to get ours. If you are willing to drive to Chicago or Indianapolis from here, the selection starts to improve a bit.

$7K off sticker is pretty easy to achieve without the loyalty bonus - obviously $8K with. Based on what people got off 2008s last year, I'd say by December/January $10K off sticker on a loaded 2009 might be achievable.
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I suspect that with the high inventory levels we will soon start seeing deeper discounts from Mazda dealers.

I'm not sure where you live, but in the North East, there is slim pickin's left. There is an inventory shortage.
  • Options
    rpoddarrpoddar Member Posts: 5
    Sandra - did the deal pretty much over the internet and phone. BTW - I did this in the 3rd week of July. The color and options combination was pretty rare - 3 other dealers I talked to couldn;t get it.
  • Options
    vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Based on what people got off 2008s last year, I'd say by December/January $10K off sticker on a loaded 2009 might be achievable.

I'm not sure I'd bet that this year will be anything like last year. Inventories for most cars is lower than last year. The incentives aren't even as good as they were just a few months back--when the model year was newer...
  • Options
    hlaihlai Member Posts: 3
    We just bought a 2009 GT FWD in liquid silver @ Temecula, CA dealership for 32,600 +TTL. (MSRP 39,740). Dealt with Andrew and he has been very helpful. No hassling or tricks like some of the other dealerships. Been looking for a car / truck for the past year and this car just meet all our needs and expectations. Thanks to forum and information I obtained here, I was able to make a great purchase on an awesome car. options include: GT Assist Pkg, Moonroof/Bose, Towing Pkg, Rear Bumper Guard, Roof Rack, Cargo Mat, Cargo Net, & wheel locks. Let me know if you think this is a pretty good deal. Thanks
  • Options
    Recevied an offer today for '09 GT FWD with GT Assist, Bose/roof, trailer pkg, locks, and roof rails: MSRP $39840 less $6500. I know that he's probably $2k high on the price, but the car also has 1450 miles. Has anybody bought one with this much mileage on it--if so, how much extra discount did you get? Also, is the dealer still getting the $4k incentive?
  • Options
    I finally bought the CX9 I wanted: CX9 GT AWD with GT Assist and roof rails from Lee Johnson Mazda in Kirkland!! This car is awesome!

The OTD price was $36,337 (32,781 + tax + license + 150 doc fee). Towards the end, it became a bidding war between two dealers. The dealer who was further away from my house finally offered $400 lower than this, but by the time he made the offer, I had already signed. I am happy with the price, but for all those people who are still hunting...keep in mind that one of the dealers was willing to come down to $32,381 (+tax,etc)!

God luck!
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Mazda dealer in SF Bay Area is offering
    - $7100 off MSRP
    - $1000 loyalty discount
    --------------------
    - $8100 possible on loaded GT. (2009 new)
    Just FYI
    (Capitol Mazda - if it matters to you)
  • Options
    The dealer is telling me that the $4k factory-to-dealer incentive is not compatible with the 60/2.9% plus $1500 offer. Does anyone know if this is true?
  • Options
    hanknychanknyc Member Posts: 2
    I was offered $32,600 without on-road nor ttl for the following

2009 cx9 3.7 GT awd
    Copper red mica or black
    Asst pkg / rses

Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    crystal45crystal45 Member Posts: 1
    Looked at a 2008 cx9 fully loaded sunrf, dvd, rear cam/ nav syst/ blth w/over 40k miles for 27.9k and a 2007 with 30k miles dvd/ bose/ bluth for 26k, need help which is the better deal??????
  • Options
    Sounds like a screaming deal to me. I'm looking at a fwd for that price...
  • Options
    pop_tartpop_tart Member Posts: 5
    My understanding is that it's one or the other. When we bought our FWD Sport a few months ago we originally went in to get the 36/0% plus $1500 offer but ended up going with the $4k factory to dealer incentive instead because it worked out to be a better deal for our situation.
  • Options
    vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Just to give you a prespective of price I just picked up about a month ago my 2007 CX-9 2WD Touring with 47K miles for 19,500 plus TTL. $22,300 OTD
  • Options
    steweygatzsteweygatz Member Posts: 8
    Included:
    -Backup Rearview Mirror Camera
    -Moonroof/Bose
    -Roof Rails
    -Trailer Hitch & Wiring Harness
    -White Pearl Mica Paint

Basically amounted to Invoice - $4000 cash back + $414 Pittsburgh Mazda Fee (couldnt get out of that $414,and actually didnt try after reading some earlier posts...with the effort the dealer put into finding my car, which was on the slowboat from japan at the time of inquiry, i was being a nice guy) ;) Plus, they beat my credit union rate for a 60 month term.
  • Options
    Thanks, you've got it right. I found another CX-9 with MSRP $39790 and sales price of $32413. Plus, they're offering me $1000 more on my trade. I'll give the local guy one shot to match it, then I'll be driving 2 hours to save $2K.
  • Options
    I just bought an 09 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD with GT Assist, Moonroof/Bose, Towing package, roof rails and wheel locks. The MSRP was $39840. I paid $32413 (invoice less $4500). The dealer doc fee was a little high at $499. They allowed me the Edmunds clean trade-in value on my Odyssey. The dealer was Sandy Sansing Mazda in Pensacola, FL--smoothest deal ever. (It was their last 09).
  • Options
    Correction: the $32413 price was before the additional $500 factory to dealer cash. So, the actual price was $31913.
  • Options
    9honda89honda8 Member Posts: 20
    I have not seen any mention of this $4000 on Edmunds. Where does this appear?
    Could some one please fill me in. I have been waiting for a price drop in order to buy. Information would be very much appreciated. : :blush:
  • Options
    Edmunds doesn't always catch every incentive, but this one is legitimate. Factory to dealer cash is now $4500 on the 09 CX-9. Three dealers confirmed this number for me.
  • Options
    jason_jm2005jason_jm2005 Member Posts: 8
    wow, so what you guys are all basically saying is that if you dont get $6k to $7k off sticker from your mazda cx-9 purchase, you are a terrible negotiator?
  • Options
    vinnyny

Thanks for the reply. Am a big Edmunds fan, but $4000 is a big miss.
    By the way I did a search for 2009 CX9 GT and came up with only 2 available
    within 100 miles of NYC. Anyone believe we will see more OR is the focus now
    turned to 2010. ???
  • Options
    I don't believe you will see anymore. The 2010's are supposed to start arriving this month. I have a very hard time believing there are any more 2009s on boats coming from Japan. Heck, even back in lste July when I bought mine, the dealers didn't have very many in transit and the selection was starting to dwindle.
  • Options
    That obviously depends very much on supply/demand and the particular dealers desire to move inventory. If you are in an area where the dealer knows there are few 2009's left, they may hold out or may not be willing to deal the entire amount to you, especially if he's had multiple customer interest in the CX9. More than likely though, you should be able to get $6-$7K very easy regardless of supply/demand. That still leaves dealers with a very nice profit margin and my guess is they would rather unload than sit on a car for any length of time.
  • Options
    If you use the Mazda site to search for availability (as I did) be sure you check
    off the correct model. I searched for CX9 GT FWD and got only 1 vehicle.
    My next search for CX9 GT AWD :):) returned 35 vehicles so .looks like the 09
    game is still on.
  • Options
    muhsonmuhson Member Posts: 2
    i got a quote for 32.800 for a 2009 GT fwd, moonroof, tow pack. and assist thing. is that pretty reasonable? do you think i can get it lower? please help out a new guy!!

thanks
  • Options
    You're at least $1000 too high. In my recent posts, you'll see that I paid $31913 for a car with an MSRP of $39840 and got a strong trade allowance. There is now $4500 factory to dealer cash. You should easily get the car for invoice less $4500.
  • Options
    splishkidsplishkid Member Posts: 7
    I heard a ship arrived @ Port Newark this week with 2010's CX 9
  • Options
    w00tcx9w00tcx9 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my black/black 2009 GT AWD for 31000 OTD price. This was after the 4500 factory to dealer and 1000 mazda loyalty. the MSRP was 40215. Came with Moonroof/Bose and the Assist Package.
  • Options
    muhsonmuhson Member Posts: 2
    i also picked up 09 GT FWD with moonroof w/bose assist pack. and tow pack for 31.800 no mazda loyalty plus all the fees. im happy with it
  • Options
    edm111edm111 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    Did you end up buying CX-9 from Open Road Mazda? What is the price you got I am also looking for one.

Thanks
  • Options
    texasmaxtexasmax Member Posts: 75
    The $4500 Factory to Dealer- would this apply on a lease as well, or only on a purchase?
  • Options
    mikebar22mikebar22 Member Posts: 1
    I've found a 2009 and was wondering where I could find evidence that there is $4500 factory to dealer?? I found that there is $1500 consumer cash back as well as $1000 loyalty but not the factory to dealer. Want to make sure I've got ammunition when I negotiate price.
  • Options
    archesloganarcheslogan Member Posts: 1
    just reached a deal on a cx-9: sport model with Driver Power Seat, Heated Seat and Heated Mirror.
    $25,000 ++.
    Now negotiating on the financing.
    Do you believe I can get a 0% through Mazda? What's the lowest I can bargain for?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    jeffrey13jeffrey13 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I got mine, Sport AWD for 25100 before TTL, I use my owe bank finance. You are not going to get the 0% mazda rate with your price.
  • Options
    Looking at 2010 GT. Can anyone enlighten me to any disadvantages to the AWD. My two local dealers have all GT's with AWD. Live in NW NJ. Do get some heavy snow and hilly. Hate to lose "pep" with the extra 200 #.

any comments ?
    Thanks
  • Options
    jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    the biggest difference practically will be a loss in fuel economy. the FWD is rated 16/22 city/highway MPG whilst the AWD is rated 15/21. personally, i average 17 MPG with 60-70% highway driving in my state of NJ. i wouldn't think you would experience power loss and in poor traction areas (snow/ice) you may get better pickup depending on the tires you have (OEM duelers apparently stink from others' experience). good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you icpharm
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Disadvantages with AWD
    - worse MPG - trust me, more than 1mpg difference in real world driving. More like 2-3mpg penalty for city driving. On highway, 1mpg may be close to reality.
    - slower acceleration - no test data to support this, I am afraid
    - more parts to fail - more expensive to maintain (such as transfer case fluid change)
    - can'r replace only two tires - must replace all four to keep AWD happy.
    (Costco has the same policy)
    - when it is being towed, you must call for a flatbed. :mad:

Advantages of AWD
  • Options
    Advantages of AWD--from a FWD CX-9 owner:
    1) torque steer mitigated--virtually eliminates one of CX-9s biggest shortcomings; and 2) superior traction under all driving conditions--especially in icy or wet weather.

Is it worth 1-2 mpg to know that your wife is much less likely to end up in a ditch? Your call. However, if I lived in a cold-weather state, I would have bought an AWD model without hesitation.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,207
    I would imagine a FWD CX-9 in the Northeast is a pretty hard sell..

That's why your dealer only has AWD...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thanks everybody
    great community....
  • Options
    edm111edm111 Member Posts: 11
    I ended up pruchasing 09 AWD Sport with PWR Driver Seat, heated seat package from Crystal Auto Mall in NJ for 25,000 + 300(Doc Fees) + TAX and Title. I would have loved the touring but they don't have any.

I think it is pretty reasonable deal. What you guys think?

I was in between 2010 Honda PILOT EXL for 33,000 + TTL or this one. I choose this one. I don't know why ;)... but I believe it is a good decision.
  • Options
    jeffrey13jeffrey13 Member Posts: 2
    You got exactly the same car as mine, as well as the price, it is $7,500 below MSRP, I think it is good deal. For sport, you can't get $10,000 discount at this time. But one thing annoying me is the MSRP of 2010 model is 1,000 cheaper than the 2009 model, can anyone tell me what's the difference between these two models?
  • Options
    howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    The economy!