Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• joebar99joebar99 Member Posts: 17
    My advice is to negotiate the out the door price... Figure out your taxes, and about 200 or whatever for DMV and use that (look up the cost on your state's DMV site for registering a new car). Otherwise they'll just agree to whatever price you want and add in their additional fees to make the profit they want..

"Sure I'll sell it for 30k -- oh by the way, there will be a $1000 conveyance fee and $200 more for DMV documentation prepartion.. Sorry, that's not negotiable sir"

Gives em no leeway for bs.
  • gpalm44gpalm44 Member Posts: 7
    Edmunds doesn't show the 4500 factory to dealer incentive, but it is still available. I just bought by 09 CX9 last week and took advantage of this. From my understanding this is supposed to be for cash or outside financing, but the dealer offered financing at 3.9 upon arrival.
  • yeboyebo Member Posts: 13
    Hello folks - Newbie here.trying to learn the tricks of the trade.

gpalm44 - you mentioned about the $4500 factory to dealer incentive - does this come off the MSRP or the invoice price? And is tht only true for 2009 models ?

Anyone is the Seattle done a recent new cx-9 purchase here? Plz share ur experiernce here.

Cheers.
  • sqlmonkeysqlmonkey Member Posts: 9
    I'm in the same boat/location. Most of the prices I'm seeing locally are listing far higher than what people are reporting paying for '09's.

Is it better to try to close this month, or wait until after Christmas?
    BTW, are you in US or Canada? I dont knw if there is TOO much regional variation, at least hvn't noticed that till now. M thinking its better to close this month (or may be Friday itself) ... at least i can make some creative offers ;-) . For 2009, it would be better to close the deal earlier than later coz they seem to be disappearing pretty fast.

Good luck and lets keep each other posted.

Cheers.
    The 4500 is only available for 09's, and that is off invoice price. Some users here are saying that they are getting the 10's under invoice price as well (just the current car market), but you should easily be able to get 7-8k off MSRP on 09 CX-9 (if there are any left in your area!! check mazdausa.com for inventory).

My example - 09 CX9 Touring AWD msrp 33,885. Paid 26,775 for the car, 29.6k OTD. Depending on which version (Sport, Touring, GT) and options you can probably get more off. Some others report over 8k off msrp for loaded GT's.
    Thanks gpalm44 ! Yep, that is pretty much in line with what i have found so far. Did you mean 10k under invoice in your comment...that would be nice :-) I 'll keep the 8k under MSRP in mind as a milestone;-) . Checked the inventory for 09s ..not much left there, atleast what is showing on mazdausa.com .

Trim - Am also wanting to go for the Touring model - need leather seating, moonroof, bose audio. Did you go with more options?

I also gotta keep the 6 odd% duty in mind since i gotta cross the border over !! Hoping i can close the deal by end of this week but lets see...depends on the deal i can get.
    Went with Touring, no options. Wanted the Bose system, but not the Moonroof. At 6'5" didn't want to lose any headroom though I have found the CX9 to be quite roomy for me. Figure I'll upgrade the stereo on my own and save half the cost.

If only there was an easy way to put in an aftermarket head unit and maintain some of the functionality (Info/clock/bluetooth)...
  • mistertee1mistertee1 Member Posts: 2
    I could use a little help if anyone can. Saw my local dealer today. He said the MF for a Chase lease of 36/15K is .0009 currently with a residual of 49%. I've seen much better numbers here with MF at .0006 and residuals at 53%. I was wondering if anyone new why? Also beside the $595 aquisition fee the dealer had $399 for doc handling, almost $200 in other charges and said transferring my registration in Fl. would be $350.00. Over $900 in dealer charges! MSRP is $39,215 with moonroof, nav, power hatch and a dealer installed headrest DVD. They would sell it for 37,415. 36 months with $2500 down and payments of $627 plus tax. This is my 4th lease and I cannot make this math work. I 'd had enough for the day and left. Any of this make sense to anyone?
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Run away! Run away!
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    Bought a 2010 Touring FWD today with Bose/Moonroof + Powerliftgate, Backup Camera, Rear Step Plate and Wheel locks (didnt want last 2 items but vehicle came with it)

MSRP = 34577, INV = 31,700

The deal I got was as follows

Selling price: 29,912
    Destination = 750
    Total base selling price = 30,662
    Tax on 30,662 = 2269 (includes NJ 7% and 0.4 % Gas Guzzler tax)
    DMV = 382
    Doc fee = 179
    Tire Tax = 7.50
    ===================
    Total OTD = 33,500

Not sure if I did ok ?
  • jeremiastanjeremiastan Member Posts: 25
    We did the GT AWD. Got NAV and liftgate, moonroof package, and overhead DVD. MSRP was 40,415. Sales price was 36778. We opted to lease (42mos/12Kmiles/y). MF at this time was 0.00075 and residual of 48% (they used residual from MSRP rather than sales price, which I think works out even better for us). $595 was acquisition and $349 was processing/doc in VA. I know the cars and the lease duration and down payment isn't the same (we put down 1500 just so that the fees weren't capitalized in the lease), and that brought it to $504/month. Even without money down, it was about $540. The headrest DVD is a few hundred more but I think your payment is high and the car a little much b/c more than our AWD, but I could be wrong. We called around ALOT and they all hit this number within about 10 bucks. So, I don't know if this helps, but I think there's a bit of room to move down.
  • eastcoastpackeastcoastpack Member Posts: 6
    Outstanding, if you also got the 0% to 1.9% financing
    Thanks eastcoastpack. The dealer was offering 1.9 %, I didn't take it and chose to pay cash (my wife is going to kill me when she finds out )

Initial driving impressions..the CX9 truly handles like a car and ride is quiet but supple. Bose audio is fine - someone on an earlier post had expressed reservations about the sound quality but I don't see any issues. Not setup bluetooth yet, but should be a breeze.

Will provide more thoughts once I've put a few more miles on it.,
  • eastcoastpackeastcoastpack Member Posts: 6
    B101, I had a similar decision to make (cash or credit), but took the low financing vs. an extra $1,000 off (2 kids in college, figured I could use the cash elsewhere).

Do you think you could have paid the same price and also got the low financing? I tried, but they didn't cave. Another dealer would not even match price I paid (8.4% off msrp) w/ 1.9%.

I agree, great car so far, even my wife loves to drive it. She's more a mid-size/Accord person.

Enjoy the CX-9 and good luck.
    ECP,
    The dealer was going to negotiate a higher selling price if I went with 1.9 % Since I was shooting for the lowest possible OTD, I didn't pursue the 1.9 %

Just came back from a 100 mile drive and the car performed great. Highway cruising speeds.. very quiet and smooth. I'm starting to like the backup camera feature a lot. With bluetooth there are some teething issues which I'm sure will be sorted out once I read the literature more closely.

Overall..I'm very happy with the car so far. Will update on the bluetooth in a couple of days.
    Zavnet,
    I bought last weekend and got 11.4 % off MSRP or 1038 off invoice. Dealer said he's making absolutely nothing at this price and the only reason he sold was to meet a sales target for Nov which qualified him for extra cash reward from Mazda.
  • zavnetzavnet Member Posts: 10
    Good for you, but don’t feel bad for the dealer. He still made at least $625+ in withholding fees. Did you get 1.9% as a part of your deal?
    Oh absolutely not "feeling bad" for the dealer ;-) In my last post I forgot to add that I didn't believe a word when he claimed he's making a loss on the deal. Anyway to answer your question I chose the cash route since the dealer wasn't willing to give this price AND 1.9 %
  • mistertee1mistertee1 Member Posts: 2
    I ran! Thanks!
  • cly2121cly2121 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know what the December money factor and residual is for the GT - AWD, 36months /12K per month? Looking to lease in the next two weeks!!
  • kokos7kokos7 Member Posts: 32
    I was quoted this in NJ for a 36/15K lease on GT AWD:
    money factor: .00060
    residual: 50%
  • mazda_2010mazda_2010 Member Posts: 2
    California

Sell price = 32,300
    DMV = 462.5
    Docs = 55
    Taxes = 2,987

OTD = 35,800

0% APR

Good price?
  • jxz024000jxz024000 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I plan to buy a 2009 CX-9. There is only one 2009 model left in Houston, Tx. This one is the Sport FWD with 700 miles on it. The MSRP is $31,180. The OTD I quoted from the dealer is $27,068.65. What price do you think is the reasonable price I should start from?

Thanks,
    Jay
  • auto_buyerauto_buyer Member Posts: 5
    But I cannot seem to find the remote controller for the DVD player or the two wireless headsets. Has the dealer forgotten to give them to me, or are they hidden somewhere in the car that I cannot find?!

Thanks...
    mazda2010,
    Does the vehicle also have 1LG (powerliftgate) ? Would be easier to assess the offer if we knew the MSRP and INVOICE. In any case if 32,300 represents around 10 % off MSRP I think its a good deal.
    Did you check the big hidden compartment in the floor of the trunk?
    I think I saw stuff in there when I test drove the CX-9.
    Yeah but didn't find the remote and the headsets there... I will call the dealership today after they open but I wanted to check on other people's experience with this.
    OK I am sure dealer has it then.

I am thinking of getting the Rear Entertainment Package sa well.
    How do you like the DVD on this car? Does it fit OK with the interior of the car? What about the quality if you had a chance to use it.
    Yes, I called the dealer today and I was told they probably forgot and I can go pick them up. I hope this was truly an innocent overlook on their part. But I don't have a very good feeling especially after I realize that they sell a simple remote controller and a pair of simple headphones for $150 each!!

And to answer your question, the DVD does fit nicely within the interior but I just got the car on Tuesday and have not yet had a chance to use it. That said, so far, I do like the ride, the navigation, Bose speakers, Bluetooth, and most of all, Blind Spot Monitoring. BSM is really cool and my wife loves it as it makes her much more confident when she is changing lanes on freeway.
    Enjoy the new ride!
    If you don't mind what was the selling price (pre-tax/fees) and which area are you in?
    I assume Rear Ent also includes Nav/Power liftgate.
    No, the Nav/power liftgate is part of the so-called "GT Assistance Package" which is different than the "Rear Entertainment Package". I am in southern CA and I paid $9500 off the MSRP of $40467. This included $8500 dealer discount plus $1000 royalty rebate (believe it or not, I still own a 1992 Mazda 626!). I think the dealer discount came from the fact that there was a $4500 manufacturer-to-dealer cash for 2009 CX-9 which was expired on 11/30, and my car was apparently the dealer's last 2009 CX-9. Not sure what deals you can get now...
  • grim02grim02 Member Posts: 2
    In Ohio, I'm being offered invoice on a FWD Touring with the bose and moonroof package, with the 1.9% APR financing deal. I'm not a current Mazda owner. MSRP is $34,477, out the door was something like 32,200 (several hundred for dealer fees). Doesn't include TTL Think that sounds good?
    Hey, With the options you mentioned there .. offer him 31,500 max. (start wz 31,200) and you should be all set !!

Go for it budd !

Cheers.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Tell the dealer he needs to put down the crack pipe. He's at least 3 grand high.
  • brywbryw Member Posts: 9
    I emailed 11 dealers last Saturday. Had a few quotes by Sunday. Just closed deal and I am picking up new CX-9 on Friday. I requested best OTD price. I have found this to be the key to the best deal. The mistake I made...not asking if there is a fee for financing through Mazda. The dealers didn't include this fee in their OTD quotes. Just be aware of that. I had quotes of 500-1,000,00 to take their financing. Here is the deal I got.
    Moonroof/Bose
    Power hatch
    Remote engine start
    Backup Camera
    Splash guards.
    MSRP $37,190.00
    Invoice $34,149.00
    TMV $35,395.00
    My OTD price...$33,800.00
    I know I got a great deal. Good luck.
    mazda2010:

No, not good enough!

I got a '10 awd touring with moonroof/bose AND power liftgate package, plus roof rack, remote start, all weather mats, cargo net, wheel locks, and stainless bumper guard for 35,600 OTD. (that's almost $1k in options plus the liftgate on top of what you were quoted)

Dunno what the Pearl White costs, but I think it's only a couple hundy.

You should knock a thousand off that price easy.
    Look up what the real invoice is on edmunds (dont believe what the dealer is telling you invoice is) and start around 1200 below that price and work up to around 800-1000 under invoice.
    Solid!
    Gonna repost this as a baseline for a great deal for all those still searching.....
    It took a week and about 100 emails to about 20 different dealers within 50 miles to get this price.

After agreeing on an OTD price via email, they added $25 in DMV fees when I got there, saying they couldn't account for the DMV pricing exactly. I told him we already agreed on an OTD price and they better recalculate it so it lands on what we discussed, or I was going to leave (over 25 bucks, lol!), and he took it off.

Purchased on 11/14/09 and loving it!! Just went back to get all the options installed on Tuesday.

------------------------------------

Here goes:

2010 Touring AWD (MSRP $31,955 / Invoice $29,571)
    Moonroof/Bose package ($2255 / $1939)
    Power liftgate package ($617 / $531)

Remote start ($350 / $280)
    Roof rails ($250 / $200)
    Stainless bumper guard ($150 / $120)
    All weather mats ($125 / $100
    Cargo net ($50 / $40)
    Wheel locks ($40 / $32)

Total MSRP: $36,542 (includes $750 destination)
    Total Invoice: $33,563 (includes $750 destination)
    Edmunds TMV: $34,995

Price paid: $32,522 + TTL = $35650 OTD

Edmunds pricing site: http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/index.html

Good luck!!
  • cx9perplexedcx9perplexed Member Posts: 1
    Got basic GT for 31500 otd. Traded in an 06 EB expedition w/ about 74k miles. Owed. 14500 on the trade got 14300 for it. Basically amounts to 30k for the car. Good deal or not?
  • grim02grim02 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds pretty good - did you also get the financing deal and/or the $500 loyalty rebate? I have an offer for invoice, and the dealer would take another $1000 in lieu of financing.

Thanks to all for your advice - I'm going to shoot for a $500-$1000 below invoice offer, including the financing deal, on a Touring. Wish me luck.
    Grim02,
    Definitely try for at least 500 below INV for financing option. Be prepared to walk away from the deal. Trust me they will not let you go once they're convinced you're a genuine buyer. At the end of a protracted negotiation no dealer will want to lose a sale for a couple of hundred dollars. Good luck and hopefully you come back here with a great story of how you got the price you wanted.
    I think you will still get much better deals if you find a 2009 model. Details of what I got:

Base MSRP: $33,805
    Rear Ent w/ Bose: $2760
    GT Assist: $2300
    Towing Package: $525
    Roof Rails: $250
    Cargo Mat: $77
    Total MSPP: $40467
    Total INVOICE: $37091
    My Sale Price: $30967 (includes $1000 royalty rebate)
    My OTD: $36300 (includes 8.75% tax as well as $2100 I paid for 120/100000 TotalCare bumper-to-bumper extended Mazda protection w/ $100 deductible).

As for financing, I was told that I would lose about $3500 of the discount if I opted for their "special" rate (i.e., 0% for 36 mo, or 2.9% for 60 mo). So I applied for their "standard" rate, and I could still get 3.75% for 60 mon.
    Almost all dealerships in tri state area (NJ/NY/CT) do not have any 2009s left. But yes I agree... if you find an 09 and do not mind buying last year's model, go for the rock bottom deal, which according to this forum is 8 - 9K below MSRP.
  • rob1325rob1325 Member Posts: 3
    I thinking of buying a 2010 GT AWD, I would like to pay cash, what would be good % or $ amount off msrp. I see everyone pricing with financing included. Also, any hidden Mazda incentives out there, I was told there was $1,000 incentive.
    Rob1325 - For cash down shoot for at least 11 % off MSRP. I believe the November incentives have all carried forward to December, which means the 1000 is still available.
  • mazda_2010mazda_2010 Member Posts: 2
    Did you also get the 0% APR.
    The price also has the power lift gate package.
    mazda2010, I paid cash... So for the 0% financing, probably about 1k more than what I paid.
  • vancouver83vancouver83 Member Posts: 30
    Great. Can you please break down the OTD price for me? I was quoted $35,627 plus tax and tags for 2010 GT AWD with moonroof/bose, power liftgate package, plus roof rack, remote start, all weather mats, and wheel locks.

However, you got more stuff and OTD would include tax and tags so you got a very good deal.

Did you get the financing?

Also, can you please tell me the state you are in? This was in PA near DE [if your dealer is in that area, please let me know the name]

Thanks