Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ark8012ark8012 Member Posts: 7
    I ended up with $32,700 -$500 royalty + tax and registration ($2,349) + 0% 60 months. Also I got $2,300 trade in for my 2002 PT cruiser with 118000 miles. My PT Cruiser has tansmission problem. I was offered $900 for it at the other dealer. So I was happy when they offer $2,300 for it. Thanks for all of your advise. Ark
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    Thanks MD. I remember walking out the dealership with the keys in hand, thinking I could have squeezed another 200 - 300 out of the deal but was pretty satisfied with it overall.
  • indyhawkindyhawk Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    I just purchased a liquid silver 2010 CX-9 Touring AWD w/All weather mats, roof rails and remote start. I was able to obtain a pin for the S-plan program, which really made things simple. With this plan, I was able to pay invoice (dealer cost not including holdback) for any car a dealer had on the lot (could not find a car elsewhere on this plan).

I ended up paying the following:

$30901 for the car (includes a $100 dollar fee for a runner to move my registration docs as I Iive in VT but purchased near Boston at Quirk Imports)
    $1000 trade on '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee (above Kelly blue book trade- in value by ~$200)
    $62 registration
    $299 doc fee
    $1794.06 tax
    OTD price: $32056.06 (I took 60 month 0% financing, so the $1000 cash incentive could not be combined).

For what it's worth, before I had the pin, I emailed 12 dealers in VT, NH, and MA for price quotes. Only three replied to me (I had specificied the exact car I was looking for in terms of trim, options, and color). Very dissappointing. Of the dealers that responded, two of them came in exactly $1000 over invoice and would not budge from there (the third was $2K over invoice). The only other difference was in the doc fee (ranged from 50 to 300). I don't think Mazda is having trouble selling these cars in the Northeast (North of Boston anyway) and if you can get a car around invoice you are doing well. I ended up going with the out of state dealer as they were the closest one with CX-9s matching our needs. In fact, only one CX-9 was found at both the VT dealers. Out here, I would be suprised if you could get them at invoice (you'd need a dealer with lots of inventory), but to get them to also cough up their holdback would be truly impressive.

Bottom line for me is I got a great car at invoice and couldn't be happier to be done with the experience (I hate the buying process...I'm glad I only do it once every six years or so).

Good luck to all as you shop around.

Zoom-Zoom
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I disagree with your assessment that I am providing "completely unrealistic" advice. I know that the deal is realistic because I actually purchased a vehicle earlier this week for $33,000 out the door, zero percent financing (that is a 2010 FWD Touring, with Moonroof Bose and Powerlift, and 3 miles on it).

Right, and if a person lives in an area where the CX-9 is a hot seller and inventory is low, that type of deal might not be obtainable, that is why I told that person that what you got might be totally unrealistic in his area. I'm dead on with my assessment.

For others like me who want to spend a weekend aggressively negotiating the best deal with multiple dealers, my advice might be helpful

Of couse it is. I never said it was not. It has been my experience that Internet shopping tends to lead to better deals then hard nose time consuming wheeling and dealing.

And, if dealers gave consumers "all the facts first" - as you put it - there would be no need for this forum.

Ehhh....I disagree there. Besides available inventory and incentives, what "facts" need to be told to a customer? I believe this thread is to help people get a good deal. It has nothing to do with how the automotive world operates, because quite frankly, unless you are nose deep in the every day operations of a dealership / manufacturer, you have no idea what goes on.

All in all, I do find this thread very useful to many people. There are several instances where prices in one area of the country are just not possible in an other area. Sadly, some people pass on a really good deal because the heard of someone across the country getting a even better one, and think they are getting ripped off. This thread has also led to unrealistic expectations as well. Sometimes, dealers will give a once in a lifetime special offer because they it may help them somewhere else, like perhaps taking in a really profitable trade, or stealing a deal from a competitive dealer. However, the customer who got this great deal thinks it's the norm and everyone should get it. Not always the case.

My advise has always been do the best you can. At the end of the day, don't buy the car if you are not happy. From what I have seen, almost everyone here has gotten a good deal.
  • misssophiamisssophia Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Hi mazdaduck:

I also want to buy a CX-9 AWD touring (nothing else). What's the resonable price? I went to one dealer closed by 12524, their price for touring AWD is 33,000. This number looks like a sticker price. Do you have any advice? Thanks a lot.
  • mazdaduckmazdaduck Member Posts: 40
    Hi Missophia, The invoice price after holdback on a 2010 CX-9 AWD Touring (with no added options or packages) is $29,682. Is the $33k out the door? It is even higher than the sticker of $32,705. That price is way high - it must have some options on it. If you are going with the zero percent financing, I would like to see you pay no more than $32,500 for this vehicle (a base AWD Touring) Out the Door (including all tax, dealer fees, etc.) So Aviboy doesn't get his "four-square" in a wad, please note that your price will vary by location and dealer inventory. My advice to you is keep shopping and get some quotes from other dealers.
  • nds3nds3 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    I am negotiating with 2 dealers in Austin for a FWD Touring. One dealer's "final" offer is $29712 + TTL (about $2000). Is that a good deal? Still sounds high to me but I've been at it all day through email with him.
    Thanks!
    edited March 2010
    Hi NDS3, Is this using cash or the 0% financing deal? Invoice on a base FWD Touring is $28,419 after holdback. So, the dealer is selling you the car for approximately $1300 over invoice + whatever "dealer fee" he is taking in. Here is my advice for you . . . Go to the first dealer in person and speak directly with the salesman who gave you the offer. Test drive the car, and tell him you are ready to buy today, but you will offer him $28,450+ TTL and his dealer fee. If he says no, get up and walk out, leaving him your cell phone number. He might come down on the price right then and there, or let you walk out and call you later, or just let you walk out. If he lets you walk without calling, you know for sure that you got the best price. Then, go to the next dealer with the first dealer's price, and tell them you will buy the car today if he beats the first dealer price by an amount of your choosing. Of course, AVBOY has a point that your ultimate success will depend on inventory and your location. This is the exact method I employed with the dealer's "final" internet offer here in Tampa and walked away paying $1,000 less. I had multiple dealers calling my cell phone during the weekend. Good luck and please keep me posted! (p.s. if you are paying cash, the dealer is $2,000 too high in my opinion) MD
    Thanks for the advice. The offer is $29712 +TTL with 0% financing. He really has not budged on the price all day, just restated it in differenct ways. He says they have to pay Mazda $1000 for me to get 0% interest. Don't know if that is true or not.

Thanks!
  • shutupnfishshutupnfish Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Have a quote for CX9 GT FWD with:
    Pearl White, Power Hatch, Navi, Rear Ent., Roof Rack, Remote Start, Wheel Lock, Towing Prep, Cargo Net. Quote is $36,169 plus TTL. What do you think?
  • beradberad Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2010
    NDS3 - You have the choice of a $1000 rebate or 0% financing from Mazda. If you are financing around $30K for 60 months you will save about $4K in interest with 0% vs saving $1000 and paying 5+% through another lender. Unless you are paying cash or have a heavy down payment the 0% is going to win out over the rebate.

FYI, all the Mazda dealers in Austin and Georgetown are part of the same company, Roger Beasley. You have to go to San Antonio or Temple to get out of their web. The Edmunds TMV for a base FWD is $28755 - this is an average deal - tell the salesperson you are not average and that you want a good deal. You probably just have a salesperson who would rather sell fewer cars at a higher margin than a lot of cars on a thin margin.

All that being said you may want to take another tactic to remove the haggling, like going through the Costco auto program - that should get you below invoice.

Don't let them wear you down. Never let them control you in even the slightest way. Good luck.
  • bartio1975bartio1975 Member Posts: 12
    I got a quote through zag for a '10 Touring AWD with Moon Roof/Bose, Pwr Liftgate, 6 CD changer for $32,921 + TTL. I can take $1000 off or choose 0% APR from $32921. This is in MD. I'm going to go over tomorrow. What do you think?
    Hey Bartio, Invoice on the vehicle after holdback is $29,682 + $1939 for moonroof/bose + $531 for powerlift gate, which equals $32,152. So, you are paying roughly $800 over invoice - not a bad deal. If you can get it down $500 or so, I would say you are getting a really good deal. Just keep in mind the out the door price. Good luck!
    Hello Shutup, Invoice after holdback is $30,303 + $1432 for the navi, + $86 for the towing + $32 for the cargo net + $280 for the remote start, +$200 for the roof rails + $86 for the towing prep + $172 for the white paint +$340 for the rear hatch = $32,931. So, in my opinion, you are paying about $3,000 over invoice for the car plus your dealer fee which is way too much. Offer $33,500 + TTL and negotiate from there. I would like to see you pay no more than $34,000-$34,500 for this car + TTL. Hopefully, you are getting 0% financing as well. Of course, it all depends on your area and inventory but this is not a good deal as you described it. Let me know how it goes.
  • smithdubsmithdub Member Posts: 1
    i'm looking at a 2008 GT AWD with almost every option except power lift gate and Sat radio- dealer is asking $28,999 but has dropped to $27,500
    is this a good deal ??
  • shutupnfishshutupnfish Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    mazdaduck, Thanks for the reply. The vehicle also includes the Rear Entertainment System. Not something I really wanted, but the goofy Mazda packages force it. Does that change the equation? I'm in South Texas and I am getting 0%.
    Shutup, I think that does change the equation and makes the price a little more realistic. However, I think that is a LOT of money for a rear-entertainment system. Just think what kind of entertainment system you can get in your living room for $3,000. Maybe a large screen plasma t.v., with surround sound, etc.? Of course, it is your decision but I would go for a vehicle without that option if it were me. Keep me posted and good luck. MD
  • g00ddealg00ddeal Member Posts: 1
    I am interested to buy CX-9 FWD Touring in Austin, TX.
    What is the best price I can expect to pay? Edmunds.com invoice price for this model is ~$28K. Thank you.
  • bfrasurebfrasure Member Posts: 10
    Considering a 2008 Touring AWD with 19,300 miles from a dealer at $22,900. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • jets65jets65 Member Posts: 6
    ODaniels - Fort Wayne IN
    Just wanted to let ya'll know that I got the 2010 FWD Touring for $28,819 with 0% interest. That's over $900 lower than the dealers "final" offer.I think I got a good deal and I'm pretty happy. I really appreciate your advice on how to get the best deal. It really helped and I actually enjoyed haggling with them! I stayed after them all day Thursday and Friday for a better deal and by Saturday they were calling me! I had four dealerships competing against each other.

One funny thing happened, though. When we went back to the dealership Saturday night to pick up the car, we found out someone had scratched the bumper (pretty bad) while it was on the lot. So the saleman wanted me to let them repaint the whole back of the car to fix it. I told him to find me another CX-9. So I'm picking up a different one tomorrow. The salesman looked really bummed when we left.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know how it turned out.

Thanks again!.
  • dnds_daddnds_dad Member Posts: 5
    I have hit every dealership on the north side of Atlanta and best cash price I have in hand is $33,800 on a GT FWD with the moonroof/bose/pwr lift gate options. This is for a Copper Red and dealer dealer says it was pre-price increase. I did not know there was a price increase. Does any know when that went into affect and how much the increase was?

BTW...For anyone shopping...Listen to mazdaduck's advice about showing up at the dealer to get their best price. I hit 5 dealerships in 2 nights after work. I had a low price in mind and asked each dealer for their best price and let them know that if they met my price I would be buying that day. I ended up walking out of every dealer. Since that day my cellphone has been burning up. As it turns my best offer was from the first first place I went, but all week I have had every other dealer working to meet or bet that price.
  • whitey17whitey17 Member Posts: 3
    A Minneapolis Mazda dealer just bought about six Mazda corporate driven 2010 CX-9's. I am interested in the AWD GT''s with Nav, moonroof/Bose Audio/Sirius. Pwr Liftgate. Mileage ranges from 2900 - 8900 miles. Sales manager says he'll let those go for about $37,500. I just about collapsed when he said that. These are used vehicles with mileage and he's selling them as brand new. His MSRP on new in the showroom is about $39.000 less $3500, plus the Mazda incentives. Is this sales manager out of his mind or what for wanting $37K for a used 2010? Advice appreciated on how to proceed.
  • bschragerbschrager Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone, my wife and I are seriously considering a CX-9 AWD Touring with the Moonroof/Bose package and the power liftgate. We live on long island and were wondering if anyone has had any experiences with local dealers and approx prices they paid. I've done my research and was hoping it's the end of the quarter and they would take 34K OTD (all tax, del included)
    Great, congrats NDS, enjoy the car!
    DNDS, Thanks for the plug, glad my plan is working for you. What dealer gave you this offer? Is it "out the door" or before taxes, fees, etc.? Does it include 0% financing? I am not sure of the "pre-price" increase issue. Good luck getting the lowest price and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Remember, 0% financing and the auto show bonus ends on Wednesday so you need to make a decision before that time.
    Yes Whitey, that is way too high for a used vehicle - unless of course there are practically no CX-9s in Minnesota. A friend of mine bought a brand new one with those options (it was FWD though) for $36,500 OUT THE DOOR. Start shopping around with other dealers, and use my plan of attack detailed in this forum. I would even consider getting quotes from Wisconsin dealers if I were you. There is an extra $1500 in incentives in WI (midwest region) so you will get a much better deal there. Good luck and remember the incentives (including 0% financing) end on Wednesday. Let me know how it goes!
  • dnds_daddnds_dad Member Posts: 5
    Yes, that is the OTD price and does not include the 0% from Roswell Mazda. The sales manager there stated they would meet or beat any price and they have. A decision will be made tomorrow to ensure we get the additional $500 off.
    Do you have that price in writing? If so, I would take it back to another dealer tell them you want that price with the 0% financing in a color of your choosing and you will buy the car right then and there. Let that be your final negotiating push. If that doesn't work, Roswell gave you a great price and you should take it if there are no other options. Hopefully, you like red for the color!
    So far best quote is from a dealer in NJ, $32,500 delivery included plus tax for a AWD CX-9 Touring with Moonroof/Bose package and power lift gate. Any thoughts?
    What is the projected OTD with this ? I think there is room to do a lot better.

Did you try Schwartz Mazda in Shrewsbury ? Let me know if you need a referral
    Today was the wifes bday so we ended up purchasing locally at Wantagh Mazda, CX-9 AWD Touring w/ Moonroof/Bose, power liftgate, carpet mats, wheel locks. Paid $33,530 with delivery which was $300 over the invoice we were shown for everything included and the invoice numbers matched up with what is shown here, plus 8.625 tax (NY sucks), DMV, the OTD price was $36,759. We thought heavily about going over the bridge to Wayne, NJ for a lower price quoted by phone but after reading someone's bad experiece there on this site and some information to confirm it from my local dealer we were very happy purchasing from Wantagh Mazda, used Edmund's to request quotes and dealt with a no pressure up front sales person. We pick up the car on Wednesday.
  • whitey17whitey17 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, Mazdaduck. The sales rep I've been dealing with just called me and told me that their buyer paid a lot of money for these corporate driven '10 Mazda CX-9's. He tells me the new 2010's are selling like hot cakes and they're low on inventory. Funny, last week things were slow for Feb/March. They're starting to play games and frankly, it's ticking me off. Where exactly is your plan of attack detailed - I'm interested. I don't live in Minnesota -- all talks are happening over the phone. Your advice is very much appreciated.
  • 9honda89honda8 Member Posts: 20
    The numbers come out to $35,335.00 Out The Door. Stand alone invoice comes
    to 32,530 but a $1000.00 rebate brings that down to 31,530 then add tax and tags.
    I may be wrong but looks like, you may have paid an extra grand. Did you take
    0 % finance? PS I am looking for the exact same rig.
  • newmommy1newmommy1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I am looking at a 2010 AWD GT with nav, roof rack, etc. MSRP 39515. Dealler best price is 36,600. will be taking the 0% financing. tax and tags is another 2500 in PA. Any thoughts???
    9honda, the invoice for the car and everything included was $32,530 plus delivery of $700 made it $33,230 plus the $300 over invoice the dealer made so it came to $33,530 plus tax and dmv.Tax is NY is a killer!! We are financing most of it at 0% so we did not get the 1k rebate or the $500 rebate for being a previous Mazda customer.
  • jeffinboston1jeffinboston1 Member Posts: 7
    Wanted to get feedback on this deal:

AWD CX-9 Touring
    Bose/Moonroof
    Power Liftgate

32,650 + TTL.

Thoughts? I am told in the Boston area there is a $600 assessment for advertising, but the price shown above is the bottom line price.
    edited March 2010
    Whitey, You are catching on to the dealer. If the cars really were selling like "hot cakes," in my opinion, they would not have a bunch of them on their lot, and there would be a waiting list for the vehicle. My plan is based upon my own purchase of the vehicle, and in consideration of the consumer reports price service for the vehicle (which cost me $15 and I am providing to you for free. It goes over all of the dealer incentives which exist for WI, OH, MI, and IN but not MN). But, you need to purchase the vehicle by Wednesday (tomorrow) to take advantage of all the savings. If I were you, I would take off from work and head to Wisconsin (or another dealer) tomorrow. You will not get the 0% financing on Thursday. Do not waste any more time talking to a dealership which is playing games with you. Especially since you do not even live in MN. MD (Mazda duck)
    How much is TTL? It is a lot easier to assess the out the door price. Are you getting 0% financing? It makes a difference in the price. If so, you need to purchase the car by tomorrow (Wednesday). MD
    The deal is:

Price: 32,650
    Taxes (MA): 2,040
    Fees: $125 plates + $299 doc

OTD: $35,114

Good deal?

Touring W/ Bose and liftgate, and rails.

Taking advantage of the 0%
    I got the same car in a FWD for $33k. So, I would say that $34K is a great deal with the AWD. You have a decent deal, would like to see you get this car for $34K, especially since it is the last day of the month. My advice to you is start early today, go to the dealer in person, tell them you will by the car for $34K out the door, and when they give you the sales pitch, walk out and leave them your cell number. They most likely will call you when you are on your way to the next dealer. Remember, the 0% ends today. Good luck!
    edited March 2010
    Thanks so much for posting the reply.

For my clarification: When you say you got the same car in a FWD for $33K was that with 6.25% taxes like Massachusetts?

Out of the 10 dealers I have dealt with, this one is the lowest by $500 and the others either won't budge at all or are very slow to move lower. What you are saying is asking for another $800-$1000 lower than what they already are quoting.

Thanks.
  • mbc1mbc1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy today to capture 0%. Went to close the deal yesterday and dealer started adding on extra fees so walked.

Looking at CX-9 touring AWD Crystal White with Bose/ Moonroof , Power Lift Gate.and Roof Rails.

Out the door price quoted was $36,600 (includes $2400 NJ tax and $ 400 actual cost for Title and 4 year registration).

$ 33,800 excluding Tax and actual Title/ Registration cost

Looking for thoughts on this price, Can I do better?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    edited March 2010
    Jeff,

Does this CX-9 have an MSRP around $35,827? If so, you are buying that Mazda CX-9 Touring for around $800 under invoice. That is a GREAT deal in New England. I would take it.
    Call Art Manukyan in Schwartz Mazda. He can probably do better. Tell him that you are being referred to by a person who bought a Crystal White Touring FWD from him on 11.28.2009
  • fastjfastj Member Posts: 4
    Just did a deal for sales price of $31,255 and drive out total of $33,530. MSRP was $34,377. Took the 0%. Quoted price was $30,255 without the 0%.

I'm in Austin and shopped pretty hard in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston using Overstock.com and emails. Went to local dealer here in Austin "ready to buy" and the lowest I got them was $31,800 (and that wasn't easy). As pointed out a page or two back all the dealers in Austin are owned by the same company. Ended up buying from a Dallas area dealer because we were headed up there on a trip anyway.
    edited March 2010
    Just parked the new car in the garage. Deal was closed tonight:

MSRP was around $35,252 (touring AWD w/ Bose and Moonroof, wheel locks, mats, cargo net, roof rails).

Sale price was $32,650 + 6.25% tax + 299 doc fee. Took the 0%.

I think it was a really good deal for Massachusetts.
  • satman714satman714 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to post this deal that I did last night because I had been lurking here the last few days and got a lot of good pointers and I feel it paid off. I got the FWD touring with moonroof/bose package and the touring lift gate package. The sticker was 34,177. I got the car for 30,000 + 6% FLA sales tax and 0% for 60 months.
    It was the last day of the month and I looked on the board in the sales manager"s office for the worst salesman. He'd only sold three cars for the month. He was bad and we didn't get out of there until after 10pm but I feel it was worth it. I hope this helps someone, like you helped me.
  • fastjfastj Member Posts: 4
    Satman that is an awesome deal. Beat my deal described above by about $1k. I don't think I could have got that kind of deal in Texas. I like the idea of finding the worst salesman.

I lurked too for about a week. Thanks to everyone for the helpful posts.
    Reposting my own message because I left out that I also had the liftgate included in this deal. Sorry to mislead.

Just parked the new car in the garage. Deal was closed tonight:

MSRP was around $35,252 (touring AWD w/ Bose and Moonroof, Power Lift Gate, wheel locks, mats, cargo net, roof rails).

Sale price was $32,650 + 6.25% tax + 299 doc fee. Took the 0%.

I think it was a really good deal for Massachusetts.